Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnoHito posted:

Hard to say, since India is so unpredictable that by the time you get there, pretty much anyone could be in charge. A no CB on the Maldives usually works, though, considering they're isolated as hell diplomatically, and I think they're usually within range. If Ceylon manages to stick around, they're pretty useful, too.
If you can get to Diego Garcia, you can fabricate a claim on the Maldives, as well. But that kind of defeats the purpose of what you're proposing, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Fister Roboto posted:

The only one I'd call niche is colonization one, because it obviously does nothing for you if you're not colonizing. But it's really good if you are.

The -5 unrest state edict is great, especially in the early game when manpower is tight.
Being able to chain forge claims can be pretty useful. It lets you reach distant targets that would have otherwise required a no-CB war. Also the same ability lets you take vassals from other countries at half price, which can be very useful.
Free war taxes is amazing, if I can ever remember to actually use it.
+1 to combat rolls on your capitol's terrain is, at the very least, a bonus to defending your capitol.
The bonus to inf/cav ratio is pretty much useless though, unless you can use it to push your ratio to 100% AND you can afford to field full cavalry armies.

Typically by the end of an age I can grab most or all of the abilities, and I usually only have 3 or 4 objectives completed.

Even if you don't care about the splendor abilities themselves, it's still worth it to complete age objectives if you can, because they give you power projection. A lot of people overlook this. It makes it a lot easier to hit the 50 threshold.
Yeah, if you take Exploration first and can make good use of it, the +1 tax/pro/man thing from Age of Discovery is really good. That's literally doubling the value of a 1/1/1 province. Also, if you're in Europe and can reasonably take on anyone with vassals, the transfer vassalage one allows you to pull off some great bullshit, like taking Naples as a vassal off Aragon, or sniping Muscovy's vassals. And the war taxes one is straight baller no matter what your situation, but I too forget to activate war taxes...

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Eh, Innovativeness seems like a good mechanic to me. It ties in nicely with older mechanics, boosts nations that can afford to tech ahead(generally the ones that aren't paying mountains of ADM and DIP to core/take territory), and it should make Europe a bit stronger vis-a-vis India and Asia without being too kludgy.
The name; however, is irredeemable.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnoHito posted:

the reduced negative effects of diplomatic actions is amazing because it means royal marriages are just a thing you do with no real consequences.
Yeah, Diplomatic owns. It even has a pretty good policy with Humanist(Multilingual Diplomats) which gives you +20% Improve Relations and +1 culture slot. Really nice if you're blobbing, and it's a DIP policy too.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Sephyr posted:

Is there any other fun African nations to play as, other than Ethiopia? Been considering a Mali run.
Lots. Mali, Kilwa, Kongo, Kuba, Butua, and Kaffa all have achievements tied to them, as do the three that start next to Lake Victoria, the Nubian culture states, and Somali culture states, if you care about that. Generally, wherever you start in Africa, you have lots of opportunities for expansion, but it can be difficult to keep up on Institutions, and, as you already know, East Africans will probably have to deal to with the Ottomans at some point.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, if you’re planning on fighting the French, you definitely want Administrative and Defensive. I mean, generally you want those, but if you’re investing in crushing the French, Exploration can wait until your 3rd idea slot. Hell, you can leave it until your 4th as long as you don’t have your heart set on a particular part of America or the Cape.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Man, the last time I tried Prester John, the Ottos were in the process of crushing Russia and had already eaten Hungary and basically the entire Middle East. That was about 1600. I really have to play the push north more aggressively, but just once I’d like to see them fail without me having done anything.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ZypherIM posted:

Yea they wanted to be Chinese so much that at the time the game is starting their ruler created an entire alphabet from scratch based on phonetics and poo poo so that they wouldn't have to memorize thousands of chinese characters, letting them educate more people.

Realistically, you could probably create a couple culture groups based on the older Korean peninsula kingdoms of Silla/Baekje/Goguryeo, but Goryeo unified the peninsula in like 900, which is a solid 500 years before the game start. I'm sure someone with a better understanding than I have could break out differences, but it feels a lot more like how all of Ireland is 1 culture, but since it is decently different from the surrounding ones there aren't any to group with it.

Is there any way to encourage your ally to knowledge share with you? I know this guy isn't sharing with anyone else, we're at peace, I've got positive income+bank+no loans, 175 relations, and I've even dumped favors into trust to boost it to 70.
Speaking of Korea, it really bugs me that Sejong(who is king in 1444) isn't set to have the Scholar trait.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt it also an artificial construct made by the winners of the Great War to try to help stabilize the region/fill the vacuum left by the decision (by these winners) to dissolve Austria-Hungary rather than something that was likely to happen naturally like Germany and Italy?
IIRC, it existed as an aspiration for Balkan nationalists, and Serbia definitely wanted to form it. In fact, the Croatians did too: they just each saw themselves as the rightful "leader" of South Slavs. Serbia happened to be on the winning side, and every one felt Serbia had contributed a good deal and that Italy had been worthless, so they gave Serbia everything it wanted.
That wasn't even the dumbest thing they did in that peace treaty either. Probably not even close.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ilitarist posted:

It's a concious choice. There are similar disasters like Oromo migration in Ethiopia. Devs decided to represent those things as nasty debuffs cause what's the alternative? The calendar says it's time for your country to basically die? Invent some ways out of those events by turning them into disasters that you can evade? I think this is one of those things you can't properly represent in a game of this scope where everyone is playable.
The weirdest thing about the Oromo migration events? The Oromo culture is part of the same culture group as everyone else in the area, so if you're playing as Ethiopia, you already accept Oromo culture! So the only thing that happens is a few of your provinces get converted to Fetishist and have increased revolt risk, which is vaguely annoying, though the actual event was probably way more disruptive to the state actors concerned than "vaguely annoying".
From a gameplay perspective, it would be neat if all these immigrants increased development(perhaps after the event chain ends), even if only just manpower.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are many many issues that contributed to the rapid disease spread and high lethality. You have populations that are either highly urbanized (most of central America) or highly interconnected through rapid transit like the Incan roads or the Amazon river for the Amazonian civilizations* or coastal boats for the Eastern North American natives. Then you have a population with relatively little genetic variation and few recent migrations. Additionally the Americas had very few domesticated animals and none that shared as many diseases with humans as the pig. Whereas Europeans just straight up lived in contact with farm animals at the time. So native immune systems did not have the acquired immunity to numerous animal to human transmissible diseases that were more or less background noise for Europeans.

Then for the Inca at least you also have a Civil War going on at the same time.
Huayna Capac, the last Sapa Inca to reign over the whole empire, actually died of smallpox even. He died before he could name his successor(he had submitted two names to the oracles, but the signs were unfavorable in both cases). So Atahualpa and Huascar got into a succession war. The latter was backed my a lot of the nobility and controlled Cuzco, but Atahualpa was more martial-minded and was based out of Quito in the north, where Huayna Capac had been on campaign before falling ill. Atahualpa had practically just received word that his forces had conquered Cuzco and captured Huascar when the Spanish landed. So, like, Pizarro literally could not have come at a better time.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't know why they went with the current trade company system instead of doing something like the trading post system from CK2 where you can have a building in a region that doesn't give you control of the province itself. You could make it something like "provinces with this building in it count as owned for purposes of trade/colonial range and trade node control", you could even make it so having a building in the region like that gives you a CB on the province so its still a tool for territorial expansion in overseas holdings.
Ooh, and you could make embraced institutions spread into it, meaning it would spread faster to the province's "real" owner, potentially giving them a leg up on catching up and giving them some reason to sell trading rights and become a potential target aside from some pitiful lump of ducats.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

open_sketchbook posted:

me: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me
me: oh no
me again a week later: let me play as korea-colonizing-north-america again surely unrest slash japan won't gently caress me
The trick is to shiv Japan in the cradle. Especially if you're getting into colonizing, since they're all sqautting on your precious trade. It's not even hard: just nibble off Kyushu and/or Hokkaido, the daimyos typically have pathetic navies that won't dare challenge your glorious turtle ships.
Oh, and eat any daimyo that breaks free of Ashikaga immediately: it's basically free territory.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

StealthArcher posted:

CK3: Noblesse Oblige adds Angst, hope you like managing your children's teenage drama as a number and also it mysteriously affects Muslims into adulthood.
Buddhists suffer penalties if they have too much or too little angst, so you must carefully manage angst to maintain balanced karma.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

yikes! posted:

Taking the 2nd colonist out of exploration has made me really hate it. I think I may just go Expansion only unless I'm in Iberia, and rely on normal spread and the policy that reveals adjacent provs to deal with the terra incognito.
Yeah, it's really awkward for a lot of nations. Especially Ethiopia: because you need Exploration to be able to discover Cape and the Malaysian and Indonesian islands to colonize them, but having a single colonist sucks and you're really pressed for idea slots early(your economy either sucks poo poo or is in a permanent inflationary spiral, you're constantly short on manpower, you need lots of quality soldiers because Ottomans, you have wrong religion provinces everywhere, etc. etc.), but later on, the Euros(or worse) will have taken all the good stuff and Expansion becomes useless.
I love playing Ethiopia, can you tell?
I mean, they absolutely needed to nerf Exploration, because old Exploration was broken good and pretty much a no-brainer in most cases(and Expansion was terrible). But I don't think it's exactly in a good place yet, especially with the ever-increasing quantity of provinces.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Really, India owns these days. Take Humanist, because most Indian nations get native heathen tolerance bonuses, so you just tolerate the poo poo out of everyone and make mad bank. There are also some really good achievements to aim for, of all different difficulties. You can focus on India, or go and mess around in Southeast Asia and the spice islands(big profits and super easy to cash in on if you're collecting in Bengal).
Manchu, Korea, or a daimyo are all fun plays as well(some of those daimyos have fantastic mil-focused idea bonuses)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

IIRC Ayyuthaya, Taungu, and Dai Viet have them.

Hopefully they add more though bc the Ayyuthaya one is just "conquer what you'd conquer anyway" and the other two are time trials.
Yeah, and the only one I can think of for Malaya/Indonesia is "Form Malaya", which, again, is pretty easy to do. I guess Land of Eastern Jade sort of counts, since the SEA Buddhists are by far the best positioned to get it, but all you do is colonize a province(any province) in Mexico.
I mean, unless you count Turn the Tables for Ternate/Tidore.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

PittTheElder posted:

I had completely forgotten about orange Denmark tho
Burgundy is some weird yellow-orange color too.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah there's been definite power creep, with England being the worst one. By being able to spend your monarch points on development, especially with the discounts you get, you can be more developed than China by Iike 1600. It's dumb.

E: oh and disinherit is probably another big problem. It should really come with some actual downsides.
Yeah, disinheriting is majorly OP and completely deleted one of the biggest downsides of being a monarchy. Prestige is ridiculously easy to come by(unless you’re tiny and/or have a ton of uncontested cores, but that’s only ever true in the beginning) and legitimacy is too(hell, once Absolutism comes online, using Strengthen Government is a good way to get those sweet, sweet bonuses) Plus, it’s generally not a big deal to have little of either.
Of course, it feels like one of those internal politics deals they’re allergic to modeling.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Aethernet posted:

My main problem with Expansion is that it's in the Admin line and there are far too many desirable groups in there already. It doesn't help that it's objectively superior to exploration too, unless you want Dahomey to do the first circumnavigation or something.
Exploration+Expansion is overkill for most, definitely(though, IIRC, the policy you get from both is pretty good if you're mass colonizing).
Of course, you can always pick Exploration, do some exploring to get access to choice territory like the Cape, and then just dump it for Expansion.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Anyone have any experience going ham as a Hussite? Might give that a try sometime soon.
I was doing that before I got Otto'd(my aversion to hell-wars led to me leaving them to fester. Always a bad idea. A shame, because I was beating them when they didn't outnumber me 2-1. I had 130k troops.)
First and foremost, the church powers are completely bonkers. -1% yearly army tradition decay is nuts and a no-brainer and led to me rolling super generals on the reg despite not having offensive OR quality(I should have gotten Offensive, honestly). I suppose you could stack it with the tradition decay from Aristocratic to good effect too.
The other church powers aren't quite that broken, but there are a lot of good ones. I ran Bread&Wine the whole time: +1 tolerance of the true faith and +5% goods produced is pretty nice, particularly since Bohemia and Silesia are loaded with glass, iron, and cloth. The one that gives +1 heretic tolerance is useful in the very beginning(it does something else good I don't remember). There's +manpower, +manpower recovery, Pacifism(+33% improve relations at the cost of a stab hit for declaring war. Probably could have helped me avoid some of the coalition wars I had to fight if I had remembered it), -10% warscore against other religions might be situationally useful(would be nice to stack with the Reformation Age power). You get a Center of Reformation for converting your starting lands to Hussite, which eventually flipped Poland(!) and a few minors for me. Hussite naturally has +2% conversion against heretics, so converting provinces was a cinch, not that I really needed to, since Bohemia gets +3 tolerance of heretics in its ideas.

There are downsides though: you're basically in the same boat as Reformed once the War of Religion kicks off, and you'll lose your electorship, which your kingdom title is tied to(which shouldn't be the case for Bohemia), so you'll lose a diplomat and some governing capacity. You're also ineligible to become Emperor ever, so you're locked out of leveraging any of that. If Austria PUs Hungary and you can't keep the Poles happy, that would also be an immediate issue.
Speaking of PUs, you can get PUs on Hungary and Poland via your missions.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 27, 2020

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I think I remember seeing somewhere that you can cheese the "Surrender of Maine" event by releasing Normandy. But probably the best thing is just to give them Maine, deal with the War of the Roses, and get together with some of the very large number of majors that hate the French.
It occurs to me that you could probably force the French to transfer their vassals to you(assuming you can get the relevant age perk unlocked and a favorable war arranged before the Reformation fires in ~1490), which would enable you to turn at least part of their vassal swarm against them. Should be satisfying, if nothing else.

It's been a really long time since I played England though.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Poil posted:

Why does a nation with half the ideas aimed at being a pirate republic have +1 legitimacy? (I bet it's landlocked too so it can't actually hoist the black flag?)
It's a Madagascan tag, so it's not quite *that* bad. But it's still horrible. Not only are most of the bonuses useless, they're also tiny! Like, seriously, I would love to see some one crunch the numbers on Pirate Ports, because that jumps out to me as something that may as well be blank. Doesn't even work in a universe where those things matter. Ditto the ambition(LOL -10% sailor maintenance. Who the gently caress is ever running low on sailors with more than 3 coastal provinces, and even if you somehow were, -10% is too small to help!)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

I had no idea you could flip Jewish, that is awesome.
Dembiya and Semien start Jewish, so you can do it, but then you're robbing yourself of being Coptic.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sadly it’s a pretty flavourless religion
That's pretty unsurprising. I don't think there are any other Jewish provinces on the map, after all.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Wafflecopper posted:

AE ticks down annually, you can just wait a few years. Improve Relations modifiers speed up the rate at which it ticks down. You could maybe no-CB into Ireland/N Africa where the culture/religion are different but no-CBing also gives AE so be careful

Also, as France you should be aware that taking HRE land as a non member gives like double AE with the entire HRE so be careful of that too
I feel like fighting a coalition war against the entire HRE is a right of passage when playing France.
Also it's ridiculously easy to stumble into it. Just a few provinces from Burgundy or Savoy will do the trick. Force-vassalizing Lorraine? Definitely coalition time.
I had one game where I had to fight two coalition wars back-to-back. I won, but I abandoned that game and stopped playing EUIV for a while, because carefully fighting a swarm of minors is annoying.

Detheros posted:

Anything in Malacca, Moluccas, and Philippines trade nodes can spawn it, also there's a province in India with it.

I was able to beat out the Europeans quite easily to those spots, however they could have been slow that game.

In other questions...Has the AI always been so aggressive in taking Defender of Faith? I swear someone loses it and it's taken immediately and being protestant it's annoying trying to conquer anthing when "France is the Defender of Faith" for like 70+ years.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed that too. The AI is super into claiming Defender of the Faith now, and since large AI countries are mega-stable and basically never pick fights they can't win, the player is sometimes just SOL.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnEdgelord posted:

Greenland was actually the biggest source of Ivory for Europe until they lost contact with the Norse Greenlanders and the Portuguese made contact with West Africa.

Walrus Ivory and Narwhal horn were their big exports though they told the Europeans that the Narwhal horns were Unicorn horns which is why a few royal scepters are carved out of them.
I figured it was walrus or narwhal ivory, but I didn't realize that it had been a big export in Norse times. That's cool.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Sephyr posted:

If you can ally anyone with a good navy (Castile or Denmark), I've had decent luck in being able to cross the Channel and start grabbing English land. Once you have the first province there to launch wars from, it's a cakewalk, and Rivalry+claims helps keep AE manageable.

If you can rotate truces between your Iberic enemy of choice and England, and secure a +relations advisor, it should keep coalitions of note from forming.
You don't even need an ally with a navy: you can just transport your army into Scotland and invade from the north with your Scottish bros.
Naturally, you don't give them anything. If you do it in the first war, you can even kick the English out of Ireland and eat that between big wars(no one else cares about it).

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, forcing Burgundy into a Personal Union is going to get you coalitioned unless Burgundy’s practically non-existent. Ideally, you have Influence or Diplomatic Ideas to help keep (some of) the heat off, but a reasonably swole France can keep all but the most powerful coalitions at bay long enough to white peace out(it’s an awful grind though). Worst case, you cough up some cash and/or territory that won’t be too hard to get back.

Colonizing as France is great, because you can go HAM in Africa, Asia, and/or the Americas when the heat’s on in Europe.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I remember being excited for the ZOC system, but it's so full of weird edge-cases, end-arounds, and kludges designed to keep the AI from loving itself that it just turns into a huge headache and somehow the AI always finds a way to carpet siege the poo poo out of everything anyway(or just rolls up a ridiculous general that melts your forts like butter).

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watching the paradox stream of EU4 on twitch this morning, partially to lol at fan reactions more, and rediscovered another hilarious paradox thing: the automated twitch chat mod autodeletes comments that say "Victoria" or "Vicky" or "Ricky" in the PDX channel

I don't know if this is just a gag or if they got sick of people spamming demands for V3 but either way, extremely funny.

Hell, for that matter it's funny that the grand campaign they've got going is CK-EU-HOI-Stellaris. Why have you damnatio memoriae'd the train game Johan?? :argh:
I mean, I understand the stream’s purpose is to sell current software offerings, but putting them all together serves only to draw attention to the conspicuous gap between the end of EU IV and the beginning of HoI IV.
I honestly don’t think we’re ever getting another Victoria, at this point. It never sold that well(IIRC) and we barely got the 2nd one out of old Paradox. Now that PDOX is a corp...

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Ming also had that weird thing where the Emperor’s could just…not do his job. So the…Wanle Emperor, I want to say, went on strike and just refused to do anything, which ground the bureaucracy to a crawl.
I would suggest maybe some mission themed around fixing that and/or a potential disaster for Ming where an Emperor goes on strike, increasing power costs or some such, but I don’t think East Asia should be a bunch of states shackled by special problems while Europe is free to do whatever.
Plus, I doubt it would actually hurt Ming much.

IIRC, another recurring problem was army pay: that is, the Ming(and many previous dynasties) paid soldiers very little. And they very seldom got to do any good looting either.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Haven’t played in a while: what’s the current meta re: military ideas? I’m playing as Lithuania, and have Muscovy cut to size, but, predictably, have an Ottoman issue(they inherited Crimea in the 1450s, because gently caress me). I’m allied with Poland and Austria, but Austria wandered off to siege poo poo in the middle of nowhere while the Ottos overran Hungary, costing us the war. My own armies were merely adequate: I have Defensive for the morale, what should I get next? I was thinking Quality or maybe Offensive so I don’t need to rely on AI armies to even things up as much.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

MonsieurChoc posted:

I re-rolled and got The Sun Never Sets on the Indian Empire. Decide to try as Bengal, never really tried them.

So Three Mountains has defeated me... for now.
It should be easy for you to get Bengal Tiger on the way, if you don't have it already. IIRC, all you have to do is conquer Samarkand, which shouldn't be difficult.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Various Meat Products posted:

Morocco isn't that tough of a start. Day 1 EDIT you start with Strong Duchies, but it's not that hard to keep your vassals under 50% LD, RM the two that aren't theocracies. Fabricate on Tlemcen and increase opinion with the Ottomans and ally them, they should flip friendly at 100+ opinion. Build some heavies. Eat Tlemcen. Ally Tunis if they aren't rivaling you. Then attack Grenada. Castile and Portugal start with a truce timer on Grenada so you have some wiggle room. Just full occupy Grenada and wait. Eventually Castile will attack Grenada, at which point you vassalize them and call in your allies. Stomp Castile, break their alliances, take land. Make sure you get a short truce with Portugal so you can fight them again before they can re-ally Castile. Attack Portugal and stomp them, laugh at England's lame attempts at landing troops. Rinse and repeat. Ally France if possible. From here you should be able to easily beat up on Iberians on cooldown while also taking land in Africa.
LOL why did I never think to vassalize Granada like that. Instead I would attempt to expand under constant threat from the Iberian clown car like a rube.

I did 3 abortive Muscovy games that I quit in frustration because I felt I wasn’t doing it right: not expanding fast enough or whatever. Playing whack-a-mole with nomad stacks, outnumbering the Ottomans but getting nowhere because Austria sent its entire army into Crimea to hide from the Otto stacks sweeping through Hungary, watching Sweden eat poo poo, etc.
So I decided to do a Mysore game for the first time, and loving everything is beautiful. I ate my neighbors, improved relations with the Bahmanids, *they* allied *me*, then they white peaced Vijay just when the war was won, allowing me to punch out all of my cores without pissing them off. Then they subsidized me .8 ducats a month, I allied Orissa, and Vijay seems to be in a death spiral and I’m the jerk whose getting all their sweet clay while the Bahmanids and Orissa do most of the work.
I should probably build a navy at some point.
Also Mysore has randomly rad ideas: army morale(in the starter), CCR(first idea!), increased fire damage, and discipline.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ilitarist posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/eu4-development-diary-7th-of-september-2021.1489871/

Mali missions.

As Mali you can destroy European economy. Even with a disclaimer and limited effect on player countries I think it's dumb.
It's extremely dumb, yes.
But, more importantly, it's extremely awesome and a funny finale to a victorious underdog campaign.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Groke posted:

Heading south to get all that gold serves the dual purpose of taking over the Zanzibar trade node. (And then you have the Indian Ocean right there. East African nations can quite easily become extremely filthy rich.)
Yeah, once you get all that Gold, your worries are over unless the Ottomans have, like...just completely steamrolled everything. You can mess around in India too once you build up a navy and/or one of the blobs gets the bad end of a war too, if you want to be richer than God.
It's a bit harder to break into Indonesia/Malaysia these days though: they tend to have a lot of boats and galleys are better in a lot of those seazones. I learned that the hard way when a resurgent Majapahit and friends drowned my heavies in galleys in my recent Ajuuran game(and to think they just announced they're buffing it up right when I was doing Golden Horn with them...)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Lum_ posted:

The main problem with going horde as Zimbabwe or Mutapa is that you lose the god-tier estate bonus from merchants that virtually eliminates inflation due to gold and any chance of gold mines depleting.

I guess suddenly suffering from hyper-inflation as Zimbabwe is pretty on-brand, though!
I took it right away as Kilwa but now my merchants are, like, locked to 100+ power because I gave them some other privileges beforehand. It gives them a lot of power. It’s good though, if you just keep them happy it’s not a problem. I’m ridiculously wealthy: Kilwa even gets a NI that reduces inflation from gold and inflation, so combine that with Zanzibar, and, well…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Mongolia is busted too. It's not even 1600 and I've crushed the Oirat, conquered out to Kashgaria, and snapped Ming like a twig, ate Manchuria and part of Korea(Japan formed and ate part of it after Ming died). Now I busy the horde by burning China on a timer. Probably going to turn on Bukharia (those weak coward Uzbeks abandoned the Old Ways). I haven't completed the "Reform Great Yuan" mission because it gives 25 Horde Unity and that's about 20 more Horde Unity than I need.
It even looks like Muscovy ate poo poo somehow. Took Horde and Econ ideas and now have Admin going because these damned Chinese provinces are crazy expensive to core(with claims!) even after I raze them. It'll also help with the governing capacity.

Quick opening tip: you can get Ming to support your independence, but you shouldn't: you should get Uzbek and Chagatai instead. Take Qaraqorum and Ming will probably dec Oirat because they're weak. You do this because the first mission requires you to own and have a core on Qaraqorum while independent, and Ming will hassle you to be a tributary if you're both at peace, and you can't core it before they get pissed off and decide they want to murder you(apparently refusing to be their tributary tanks trust and you need a minimum trust level to volunteer to be their tributary). But that first mission gives you a permanent modifier that gives Horde Unity and Prestige in Qaraqorum, a ton of claims on Oirat, AND bumps you to Kingdom-tier. It makes your early expansion go much more smoothly.

I figure Oirat gets to jump straight into "murder Ming and raze their poo poo".

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Various Meat Products posted:

Some of us don't mind restarting until we get that one perfect, beautiful god rng seed. I'm an idiot masochist though so maybe don't follow my example.
I mean, I've restarted a few times over, say...Crimea choosing Ottoman overlordship, because not having the Ottos in your face with a beefy vassal right away makes games in the area a lot easier, especially if you're playing as one of the weaker nations that the Ottomans could squash without batting an eye, but otherwise I only restart if I really screwed something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Poland's war and Danzig vassal is event-driven. Ally Poland, attack the pommern fucker to the north of you then the TO before Poland's event, snipe the necessary provinces, become god king of wehraboos in 1520.
Yeah, 90% of succeeding as a small fish is tricking a big fish into doing your dirty work.
Until you're big enough to eat them too, of course.