Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dead comedy forums posted:

Is it ever going to be a V or Paradox is going to stay on Clausewitz until 2020?

(legit question)
Clauswitz is the game engine which if they ever do EU5 could also be on the latest version of Clauswitz.

The EU5 question (which is separate from the Clauswitz question) was discussed a lot in the old thread - I think the general consensus was that Paradox is content to continue to do DLC while people are still buying them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

second edit: also why is it so quiet, is everything okay with the patch and expansion? :ohdear:
The lack of changes to Ming's tributary mechanic has removed my ability to feel human, ect ect

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Any Ming tributary news?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I would say that it is probably a tossup. Sweden has great ideas and events, but Denmark -as already mentioned- got buffed and has a first age Denmark only bonus that gives them Subject Liberty Desire reduction.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groke posted:

Well, it's still possible to do the Ottoman -> flip to Orthodox-> form Romania-> shift to Greek and reform Byzantium thing. Completely disgusting, and fun.
Dont you lose a bunch of the Ottoman bonuses for doing this, though? Also dont you have to do some other sort of shift to form Romania?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mountaineer posted:

Once you reach 80 Professionalism and get half-cost generals it's pretty easy to blitz the rest of the way up to 100 if you've got some mil points to spare.
How long did it take you to get there?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

The state limit ought to be a soft cap instead just like force limits. If you go above the cap, global state maintenance should increase progressively. Or maybe cause an increase to yearly corruption.
And if you are under the state cap it should grant some sort of progressive bonus (maybe replace the default bonuses that OPMs get so its less of a drop off if you go from an OPM to a 3PM).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hryme posted:

I am not getting a merchant for having over 50 percent trade power in the South Africa Trade Company Region. Even though it says in the trade screen that I should get one. Did they change that in this update and forget to update the UI or is it a bug?
Someone else reported that in this thread, no idea what the issue is though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

Mercs have their own cap, to prevent the players from converting all of their gold into manpower. And there's the additional cost of professionalism. So it doesn't seem like a great comparison unless you want the additional states to also contribute to national unrest or something, which would be thematic and interesting
Once ever in 1500 hours of play has the mercenary cap come into play for me as the player, and very incredibly obviously is not a factor for the AI (see: China having 300 Infantry regiments, 100% being Mercs, or, any late game AI in the middle of losing a war).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TorakFade posted:

I like it when England fails, for some reason
There is nothing wrong with enjoying the demise of Perfidious Albion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

If you think that the game becomes a slog around the 1700 when the imperialism kicks in? Don't worry we got u fam

https://twitter.com/SirVogelius/status/933980732778741760

x-axis is daily ticks compressed into years, the y-axis is how many seconds spent.
If you like statistics and numbers here's some for you

Before was Average (ms): 197, Median (ms): 176, 90th Percentile (ms): 300
After was Average (ms): 133, Median (ms): 104, 90th Percentile (ms): 249

e: Also before someone points out that our games don't do multicore or something, the AI_ACTOR part is all done over several threads (think it is double of the amount of cores you have if I remember right)
This is awesome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

Maybe it was always like this, but I feel like AI has gone a bit more creative with their wardecs, to the point they could neeeearly pass for a player. Example: as Mamluks I get Ottomans to release Serbia/Bulgaria/Greece. Instead of waiting ten years, Ottomans waited till one of those countries allied some other country, declare on that country, took back their cores, and white peace the allied country. Repeat 2 more times.
I've seen the AI do this, and it is terrifying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Design it self can have bugs. It's not limited to programming. Report these issues on the forum. Sorry I'm not going to remember this on Monday. Also if you find a sick joy in telling me what I do is poo poo, consider applying here. https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/46502-qa-tester
drat, I'm a software QA but I'm in the USA. I definitely take "sick joy" in telling my developers that they dont know how to code.

Poil posted:

Doesn't it just mean you wasted an entire war and a bunch of diplo points for no benefit at all?
Pretty much, yeah.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

I meant took back their cores as in, they separate peace for the cores, before whitepeace with the main country.
Thats what he is saying - you spend the warscore and diplo power to force Ottomans to release Serbia, Bulgaria, and Albania. Then the Ottomans declare war on Hungary, who allied Serbia, and take all of their cores back from Serbia for what amounts to a little AE. Then they rinse and repeat with allies of Bulgaria and Albania which means you spent a ton of warscore and diplo power releasing those vassals that were free for a good ppbbbttt 3 years at best?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

You'd have to wait 10 to 20 years to get enough favors to call them in, and maybe I'm underestimating myself but I do not think the Great Horde can take on Kazan + Crimea at the same time.
If you're delcaring on Kazan you can call both in with the promise of land, I believe.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now that I have gotten to play some of this, I am really disappointed with how meh Janissaries are. They lost 10% Infantry Combat ability and 5% Discipline, are more expensive, cost MP to recruit, and can only be recruited in heathen lands. The Ottomans are still great, but that is just pathetic compared to what Muscovy gets for units that do more fire damage, which is completely a-historical and a bad mechanic to give to Russia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'd like to see is some sort of bonus for being under the state cap, something to represent that you have a highly efficient, tightly organized administration. Something that could encourage a tall strategy.
I've been clamoring for this for a while now. It makes a lot of sense. I think a good pointed out one potential glass but I can't remember what it was.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 20, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SkySteak posted:

OK, thank you! I'll just have to assume some sort of vaguely terrifying thing is making those places uninhabitable!
They are not uninhabitable, they are simply currently uninhabited, I think? Can you not colonize them? Because they look colonizable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Affi posted:

What ideagroups would you grab for a Marocco that wants to take Spain and also be a solid coloniser?

I'm thinking quest for the new world to grab the Caribbean and then replace it with expansion after a while.
Offence and quality are two of my favourite things.
Economy, innovative and administration?
Trade? Influence?
Maritime?
If it was me I would take Defensive as my first Mil idea because it synergizes well with Morocco's lands at start, and because Morale is king, and cheaper forts and units are nice.

I need some advice (e.g. starting situation, good tactics in war with Spain, ect) on how to get a Morocco game off of the ground. I gave up trying a few patches ago but I still really want to pull it off one day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Affi posted:

Ally Tunis and vassalize tlec and get an alliance with ottomans. That guarantees they won't attack you.

Attack whenever Castile and Aragon fight.
I am always too far from the Ottomans for them to be willing to ally/marry me.
Castille and Aragon have never fought in any one of my two dozen attempts. Its like the AI knows that I am a player waiting to attack them. Castille also always gets crazy good allies, who, as we all know, will move heaven and earth to come invade Africa to defend their ally.

TorakFade posted:

Kill Castile early, possibly while they fight France or Aragon
This is my problem, I can never do that. The rest of what you said I can handle and is what I desire to do. Like I said above to Affi, Castille never fights anyone when I am sitting there waiting to jump them. It never happens. I have tried at least two dozen times. Finding a way to beat Castille is my problem, I can never do it. If I get myself into a debt death spiral I can fight them to a standstill in the first war but then by the time round 2 comes around they beat me because of said debt death spiral.

I've accomplished some reasonably challenging achievements but I can never beat Castille as Morocco.

Fister Roboto posted:

I know that in previous patches AI countries were extremely reluctant to get military access in wars, but I really think they've gone overboard now. IMHO if a co-belligerent can't reach their opponent with a reasonable number of military access treaties, they just shouldn't join the war at all.
:stonk: No you see this would make the AI too passive and the player could abuse it!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really cool if you could actually plan out and decide these things before you start a war.
:ohdear: what a concept!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I'm having trouble finding a blank current-version world map I can color in Paint. Does anyone have a link, or is there a better way to do that?
http://d-maps.com/index.php?lang=en

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alexandria isnt a CoT anymore?

Also why the gently caress do I only get generals with 5+ Fire pips and zero Shock pips in the first year of any game I start?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hrmm I guess I should have recruited Janissaries in Constantinople before I triggered the option to make it Capitol (which converts it)? Or do I lose the Janissaries if I convert the province that they came from?

Also I guess I should go ahead and recruit them as soon as I am able/can afford the Mil point cost?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

I wouldn't bother at all, janissaries aren't that great. -10% damage received is nice, but everything else about them is pretty weak. They still draw from your manpower pool to reinforce, and they actually cost twice as much money to do so. The bonus to drilling doesn't affect professionalism gain at all. So basically you're paying 10 MIL to save 10 ducats and 1000 manpower and get a marginally better infantry regiment.

Oh also you get a disaster if you have too many of them.
:cripes: and yet Russia gets a unit that does more fire damage lmao. I may just uninstall and stop buying DLC the way they are going with things, and just wait for EU5.

edit: to add on so I sound like less of a baby about it - I was already losing interest in the game when it got to the point that it is so micromanage-y. There are a lot of little things that have added up that have eroded my interest and enthusiasm for the game. Little things like needing to remember to click the War Taxes button once I take the the era-related bonus button thing to make them free, micromanaging estates, and now bigger things like needing to remember to drill my armies between wars or I feel like I am losing out on important things or manually occupying ever province of my war target, needing to march into <far away place> in the 1450s just to kick my opponent's ally out of the war so I can end it now rather than in 5 years. Add all the micromanagement stuff to things like Ming, the new eras, and Russia getting OP free infantry when Russia is already ridiculous enough just burn me out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 28, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

really queer Christmas posted:

Maybe you’re just a bit burned out? I took a year break before CoC came out and came back to game wanting to play a bunch of new nations. I think I’m down to maybe one or two more before I take another break.

Like I don’t disagree that the dlcs can be kinda ridiculous (Ming is still bullshit, Russia is OP, mana bars everywhere that don’t really integrate with anything), but maybe if you take a break for a bit the game will feel a bit more fresh to you.
Yeah I think you're right. I've been with the EU franchise since the very beginning, playing it off and on for close to 20 years now (gently caress) so burnout is a very real possibility. I still enjoy the game but my patience is short when it comes to certain things so I should probably just take a break after I try this Ottomans playthrough a bit more. They have always been my go-to when coming back or post patch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am playing as the Ottomans - why is Tunis raiding my coasts when we are both Sunni?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sage Grimm posted:

Target province isn't Sunni. I had to go look that up.
I had looked around and couldnt find it or missed it, so thank you! I was rather confused. I wonder if I play nice with Tunis they wont raid me...?

Poil posted:

England is super boring to me, all you can fight is France or the HRE neither which are very fun. And you have the parliament penalties to deal with as well. :shrug:
I agree but I think we will find out a lot more today about the nature of the Immersion pack....wasnt there a chance it was about Iberia?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speak of the devil, here it is: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-january-2018.1067260/

It is about England :v:

They are adding an England-specific church, Coal as a late-game resource (spawns in specific places replacing what is already there) and some QoL stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

They should just make 1820-1920 a DLC for EUIV. Replace the trade system and add the crisis system.
I would rather see them take the Napoleonic era out of EU4 and add it to the beginning of Victoria 3. The way EU4 lategmae works (forts, forts everywhere) does not jive well with Napoleon's War of Maneuver.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lawman 0 posted:

Make Victoria three you cowards
no u

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TaurusTorus posted:

I wonder if this will do anything to make AI England not the worst ally.
I am pretty sure the case of "Perfidious Albion" is terminal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Red Bones posted:

I thought Dithmarschen would be one of those starts where you are doomed to be eaten very fast but I'm doing an iron man run of them at the moment and the HRE and some alliances pretty much kept me safe from conquest, and then I no cb conquered an Irish minor and hopped over the Atlantic to colonise Canada.

I'm not sure I made the right call though. If you're a tiny nation setting up colonies is it better to take a less desirable region like the north American east coast? I thought if I took the carribbean I'd just end up having all my colonies conquered by spain/portugal/Britain, but now I'm on my fourth colony in Canada and there's like 3 colonies in South America and none anywhere else? Should I just have taken the carribbean?
If its looking like that then I would go ahead and just get started on the Caribbean if you like it that much. I dont think there is anything wrong with establishing a Colonial Nation in Canada and then moving on to the Thirteen Colonies area and establishing one there too...those two areas, especially if you lock them down, can be easily funneled into Lubeck.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

doingitwrong posted:

Is there any reason to keep Exploration ideas once you've finished exploring? Once I've got my CNs feeding themselves, I've found myself abandoning the idea set in the mid to late game to free up a slot for more military or whatever ideas.
I would say, sir doingitwrong, that you are in fact doing it right. Once you have what you want and colonization becomes a chore or just isnt worth the investment anymore it is definitely smart to drop the idea to pick up a better one, especially if you are flush with the Monarch Points to do it.

really queer Christmas posted:

I know the ai’s tendency towards total war has already been done to death as a complaint, but man am I tired of an ally refusing to white peace out to the point they take massive loving losses constantly for a distant ally- even while revolts rage in their land. Especially when they start taking mercs to send at your much better stacks.

edit: like seriously

every battle has ended in stack wipes.
This makes me rage. Also the fact that allies of someone I Co-Belligerent'd dont drop when said ally gets separate-peaced out. No, I dont think the Ottomans should have to march an army to Chagatai in 1475 when they declared war on Karaman and made Crimea, who is the ally of Chagatai, with the wardec, just to end the war before five years are up.

Poil posted:

No troops or ships left at all and lands are sieged down or almost sieged down. War enthusiasm: medium. :downs:
This I can sorta understand when said country has allies with armies. But if I am fighting OPM Theodoro and they are allied to OPM Novogord, who has no troops because they all died in the war, both should have low war enthusiasm and be willing to peace out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I like the idea of them adapting the new War Exhaustion mechanic from Stellaris. Like if you're England, and declare war for a 3 development island in the South Pacific, France is not going to contest it anything like if you declare war for the entire Channel coast or something. You grab the island, sink a couple fleets and after a year or two, France says 'gently caress it' and lets you have the frozen, guano covered rock off the coast of Antarctica rather then burning their entire country to the ground over it.
This would be nice. It ties with with a "limited war" mechanic that I've mentioned a few times before, where you could declare war for, say, a state or even a single province and under no circumstances take any land from an ally or additional land from the wartarget. Other things like treaty breaking could be added as part of the initial declaration or more likely part of the peacemaking, with it getting exponentially harder to tack on more and more cash, reparations, breaking treaties, ect ect
This would allow them to program the AI to do what you're saying - have them be willing to peace out before England needs to sack Paris and occupy half the country just to bring the AI to the table.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They also really need to fix that the target of a coalition can only take War Reparations from the war declarer/declaree, rather than from anyone in the coalition.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know why I couldnt force Venice to release Cyprus as part of the peace deal when Cyprus still has a perma-claim to the island?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double nine posted:

If I ever do a single world conquest (I won't) it'll be a three mountains wc. Then never again. But that probably won't happen in any event so who cares.

I've conquered Europe several times and each time it's already boring before you're half-way done. Doing something similar on a global scale sounds beyond tedious.
Yeah I am trying to convince myself to go for 1001 with my current Ottomans run; I doubt that I will ever try a WC. I think I'm doing alright in 1539:
Fezzan and Haasa are my allies; Crimea and Hisn Kayfa are marches; Hisn is Shaf'i so keeping them around gives me someone making better use of those Kurdish and Armenian provinces while also providing me with an extra Merchant for the rest of eternity.

I am about to attack Austria because history compels me to. Then I'll be jumping the Mamluks for more of Egypt. I already took Malta and got rid of those pesky Knights :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I forget how this minutia of Trade Mechanics works - if I have Provincial Trade Power in a node, but do not have a merchant directing said Trade Power to be used for collecting or directing trade, what happens to it IF I have a subject using a merchant to direct trade? Does my power go towards theirs or anything?
I ask because I am trying to figure out if I should plan on drawing my Pretty Borders one way or another; if my vassal should own Shirvan or I should. Hisn Kayfa's capital is in the Aleppo node and is using a merchant to pull value from Persia, where Shirvan is; I'm then pulling the vast majority of trade from Aleppo to Constantinople. I will never have enough merchants to plug one into the Persia node to direct my power to moving the value upstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

doingitwrong posted:

First, the game calculates total trade value (incoming + local production). Then it looks at total trade power (collecting + transferring) vs trade power transferring to figure out what fraction of that value stays or goes. Your trade power contributes to this ratio even if you have no merchant. That determines the total value that leaves. The rest is divided up between the people collecting.

Then it looks at the possible outgoing connections and looks at the ratio of merchants + power steering in each direction. It uses that ratio to divide the total outgoing and apportion it accordingly. Your trade power won’t contribute here if you have no merchant.

So your power would increase the amount leaving the node while your subject would increase amount and help steer it. If you’ve got any nodes in your trade network that have only one out connection, those are candidates for leaving without a merchant. But because of the various modifiers and bonuses, sometimes trial and error is best.
Okay cool, thank you for the refresher. Persia only has one outlet so it seems I can go for Prettiest Borders.

Firebatgyro posted:

Money isn't ever really an issue for the Ottomans, you are going to be way better off if you can grab the -10% AE than another merchant. Honestly you are probably better off with just the 50 adm than another merchant.
Two reasons I was doing the Merchant instead of the Hanbali AE Impact - Money has been an occasional inconvenience for me and I have not had access to a nation with Hanbali for a while...I think they are all dead.
An ancillary reason for taking the merchant is that Constantinople is just barely the most valuable trade node in the world right now and I would like to keep it that way to get the bonus for spawning Global Trade. Printing just spawned a decade ago so I am planning now for ensuring I can spawn Global Trade.
Also I went full Janissary once I unlocked Disbanding Returns Manpower To The Pool for Professionalism, which means when I take losses in war it is doubly expensive. I have stayed at my forcelimits a vast majority of the game in order to grow my Professionalism faster, but that shits expensive, yo.
I have switched to the Maliki Development bonus when spawning instutions. It seems like it has worked out well so far.