Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Europa Universalis IV: Welcome to the greater Ming Sphere
would have been better given the current state of the game.

Probably gonna play a game as Hormuz once the patch is out but not gonna buy this DLC, fix old poo poo before you try to sell me new stuff. Also Military Tradition bar #2 is one of the dumbest features this game has seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wish you'd posted that in the HoI4 thread.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
When a friend wanted to understand the game we simply did a co-op game, sadly they found it too boring. Easiest way to learn the game really.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^^
I had 400ish development worth of unstated provinces around 1500 as the Mamluks.

The AI utterly fails with Drilling and I have no clue how they could fix it. My new strategy for big powers that I need multiple wars for is getting a province next to their capital. Since the AI always drills it's armies you get to stackwipe them before the first month ticks over and they'd have some morale.
Bonus points for saving manpower this way so you don't need mercs, so your armytradition#2 bar fills faster.

After playing a bit with that system I feel like it's bad, they should have had some sort of experience for troops instead, like in HoI4. All linked to the already exsiting army tradition.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ming is still as stupid as ever, their fix did nothing. Transoxiana is a tributary in loving 1540.
Is there still an exploit or something to disable them in Ironman mode?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's not about how hard it is to beat Ming, it's about why the gently caress I would have to beat them to take Nogai lands in the first place. Why is Brunei a tributary in 1490? Why is there a 24 stack of Ming sieging Porto in 1612?
Any time I want something from one of their tributaries I have to fight a hell war against a nation that spams mercs and after I win nobody takes advantage of it. The end result is that it's almost always not worth it for the couple of provinces you want to take. In my Mamluks game it was easier to conquer HRE lands than the spice islands. In most cases it's only worth conquering lands of Ming tributaries, if you're a tributary yourself. The AI is way to happy being a tributary, it doesn't want to or can't fight an independence war, even with the low mandate penalties and me having devastated China.

I like Paradox and I like this game but the current state of Ming is one of the most horribly balanced things we've had in EU4 and it's been 7 months now. Their latest fix is laughable and shows that they don't even understand the problem. I am used to better and faster reactions from Paradox and I simply expect more from them, because I know they can deliver it.

There's plenty of short term solution until they can come up with a long term solution:
- Only neighbors can become tributaries
- Link it to religion
- Link it to region
- Disable the diplomatic option so they have to fight wars to gain tributaries

Disabling the DLC because the best, most attentive game developer out there can't fix Ming is pathetic.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My bet is that they own a single transport ship and that allows them to skip it because technically they could move their army over ship 1 by 1!

The Mamluks start with a fort in Aleppo, I've seen magic happen.
vvvvv

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 21, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Also, Mamluks are a powerhouse now. I am bullying OttoFrance with my Hungarian ally like it's nothing. Military tradition is never below 50, my generals have 5-6-7 shock, and drilling makes them even better. Do they ever start getting weaker?

I think it has something to do with the government abilities but I didn't really get that part, I just pressed the manpower button whenever I could use it.
They are one of the best tags right now. Enough heretic and heathen neighbors to fill the religion bar and press that button all the time, while also being in a good position to abuse exploration to get all the trade from the spice islands/Asia.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Using the religious idea bonus it's pretty cheap to convert adjacent provinces to manage culture groups too.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Did they really warrant such a change? The Ottos are supposed to be the counterweight to Europe, even historically. And didn't they subjugate the Mamluks?

I don't think it was on purpose, except the removal of the Anatolian cores. They just have a harder time with their weaker troops and run out of manpower quicker.
On the plus side, Karaman is kind of an easy start now.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I backstabed the Mamluks and almost had them killed, except they picked exploration and ended up as a Ming tributary. Good thing I got all the achievements out of this run that I wanted.

Is it still possible to become HRE as Coptomans?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
To be fair, most of my games go on until I got whatever achievement I wanted, then I quit and start something new. My only 1700+ games are WC ones.
Right not it is especially bad if you play that long, you'll run into Ming even when playing an HRE opm. And to those who still think the Ming complaints are hyperbole, 2 out 4 of CoC games had stupid Ming situations, the best one must have been a battle between a 38 stack of Ming and a 28ish stack of the Ottomans, when Ming came to rescue Cairo from a siege. (Mamluks had colonies in the spice islands.)

That is actually becoming kind of a theme right now, Ajuuran, Mamluks, Oman, Hormuz, I've seen them all as tributaries pre 1600.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

What difficulty setting do you play on? I'm not doubting you but I wonder if you have a weird setting or a mod, because I've played more than a dozen games since MoH and seen countless screenshots, and even in the threads where people are complaining about this issue, Hormuz-Iraq is the farthest I've ever seen it, and that's both more of a freak occurance and I'm pretty sure it happened really late in the game. I'd be curious to see a screen shot the next time you see this.

In my games it easily goes as far as India (I don't think I've seen non-tributary Bengal even once since MoH) which is an issue in its self but more than that is actually pretty rare, and never so early in the game.

It almost always involves either Ming or that affected nation picking up exploration ideas. It seems like it's not the capital but any province that counts for tributary mechanics.
I'd still favor disabling the option of becoming a tributary trough diplomacy, it's just stupid. Make Ming fight for it's income.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

Well if it can't easily get tributaries beyond its neighbors that'd fix a big part of the issue. Might still be a bit of a bandaid fix though, I'm seriously hoping we'll see some proper changes next patch since it seems to be about Southeast Asia.

Also that makes sense about exploration being the cause of it, huh. Actually there was a big phase where I'd see Mamluks colonizing practically every game but I haven't seen it in a while now, I wonder what changed or if it's just from a limited sample size.

It is a bandaid fix. But it's something they could literally implement today, roll out with the bug fix patch and then work on a proper fix. Alternatively they could make the diplo micro manager free so I can just turn of MoH.

uPen posted:

I like professionalism quite a bit. It's handy being able to get an infusion of manpower in exchange for having to run more maintenance in the future to make up for it. Not sure why it needs to be it's own thing since army tradition already exists and having bonuses for having X tradition would have accomplished the same thing but whatever.

Also why do sailors still exist? Can we just admit that they're a mistake and remove them already?

Because you can't sell "expanded army tradition" as an expansion feature. Professionalism as a separate bar is silly, it already kinda suffers from lack of integration. Have you seen any link between the Nobility estate and it?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

You need to go to war with them and occupy all their poo poo, and then when they have 20 war exhaustion and as much devastation as you can inflict while call for peace is ticking, sign a white peace. Countries lose war exhaustion and gain revanchism bonuses proportional to any losing peace deals they sign, so making them lose nothing is, ironically, absolutely devastating for them.

This only ever worked for me when I waited until the rebels until I peaced out, which took a long time and costs me tons of points for my own WE. It's probably not worth doing with Ming. They just have too much money for mercs to implode to rebels these days.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Seems more like it was possible to make a custom nation with your capital inside but other provinces outside the British region and cheese the achievement that way. Colonial Range is kind of a key factor for this achievement.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
That's the kind of thing that usually gets fixed pretty quickly, quicker than Ming anyhow.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Can you get an intern to do stats on that for a dev diary, like you did with HoI4?
Like top 20 Nation picks, average game length, etc?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just saved a Yemen game by becoming a Ming tributary, somehow that coalition isn't attacking me now. loving dumb, but at least I can eat up everything in the spice islands now.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Unrest / tax / missionary str
relations / dip rep / spy network / trade power
morale / discipline

Those are the good ones you should look out for. If you're conquering and converting lots the missionary strenght one might get you more money than the tax one, due to shorter missionary times.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It always depends on what is limiting you, in some games like Ottomans you wont need the mercs because you're more limited by AE. But maybe it's better to spend the money on advisors anyway.
I feel like the main drawback that makes them bad is the lack of scaling with development, maybe it should be changed to a fixed +1 and +0.1 per development or something. +1 goods and some PE might also work.

The opportunity cost for most buildings seems too high really.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
^^^^ because losing tons of lovely troops wont win the war, you're better of using good troops and taking loans for mercs

It never made sense to me since Offensive/Defensive/Quality are all superior to me, in some cases I'd even pick Aristocratic ideas over Quantity.
Literally my only reason for Quantity ever was the extra colonist pre nerf.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Yes. It effectively doubles the cost of using general recruitment as a mechanism to generate manpower.

I'm going to try a playthrough where I just hit slacken recruiting standards every time I go over 5% professionalism and have space in my manpower pool. I suspect that this will give better results (combined with good old merc spam) than trying to gradually build up professionalism.

I kinda already did this in my Burgundy game because I wanted to take full advantage of the ideas and went Admin. It still works very well because in the end bonuses from high professionalism are overrated. Overall a failed mechanic that wastes further UI space.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Also, fix Ming.

Unlocking the Diplo Macro Manager with CoC or any DLC that is not MoH would solve my issues with Ming. Faster than Paradox will do something else about it anyhow.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Ally Austria + England, use them to beat up France, then beat up Portugal after while England is still hosed from the war with France. Burgundy can also be handy for this.
Or wait for France to go to war with England, then snag the northern provinces from Portugal while England can't help them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

That's fun too, but I wanted everything set up on the first day of the game. :getin:

edit
What is wrong with the colonialism institution? It's 1513 and I'm more than halfway to establishing a colonial nation and it still hasn't triggered. Is there a hidden modifier that also needs to be triggered before it spawns? Is the game rolling dice for provinces and if it rolls a province number that isn't eligible it doesn't spawn?

It seems to have a bigger bias towards Europe as well since last patch.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Depending on how fast the euros are and if you take expansion + exploration, you can manage to get Ivory coast + cape + 2 South American CNs. That way cap is safe.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Any tips about using states? I usually plonk burghers in coastal trade provinces, give whatever poo poo I have laying around to the rest when they whine about territory and call it a day.

The benefits look great, but each time I try to interact with them I end up with problems.

It all comes down to how much micro you want. You can abuse the loyalty decay with assigning/unassigning poo poo to milk them for points, manpower and what not. But essentially you're doing it right, give CoTs to the merchants while keeping them under 41 influence or even lower if you don't need the Colonist bonus, then assign high manpower provinces with lovely trade goods to the army guys and high base tax, lovely trade good provinces to the clergy.
If you have very important forts it can be worth it to give those to the army guys too.

If you really want to maximize money gains you can also assign freshly conquered and stated land to the clergy to make conversion easier, then remove it after that's done. Missionary strength -> faster conversion -> lower costs, people keep underestimating that one.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Republics still seem to be in a very bad spot now, even when you can buy RT for mil points. It feels like my average ruler has lower stats, I have less diplo options and some of the events seem pretty harsh.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just saw 60 years of stable alliances that kinda ruined a game:
Muscowy allied to Denmark, France and the Ottomans.
Denmark allied to Muscowy, France, Bohemia.
France allied to Ottomans, Muscowy, Denmark.
Ottomans allied to Tunis, France, Muscowy.

I was a Brandenburg allied to Austria, Hungary, Burgundy. Never once in the 60 years I bothered to play that save, was there a situation where I could have gone into a war to dissolve that alliance block. Is the "great power" penalty for alliances a player only thing? I am pretty sure if I am allied to France and the Ottomans, I can't get a 3rd GP as ally because there's a huge penalty.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Getting low AE CBs without Religious is just so goddamn tedious. Almost makes me want to take Espionage.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Agreed, they could easily remove 1 of each type of idea group and juggle the good ideas around a bit and end up with something a lot more balanced. It royally sucks that there are still ideas which are almost 100% worthless in every game because the other ideas in that group are too good.

I nominate Economic/Espionage/Naval.
Put some Eco ideas into Admin, some espionage into diplo/influence and some naval back into quantity, quality already has some ship stuff.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If they have claims and Aragon's manpower gets very low then the chance is very high, it kinda depends on Aragon's allies too. The AI seems to be very opportunistic, it calculates how hard a war is and if it's easy enough it'll go for it. Pretty much every hellwar I've fought against big nations like the Ottomans, others jumped in once they were in bad enough shape. They also jumped me if I was in bad enough shape.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

Also as the Ottomans you can do all sorts of weird fun poo poo. For example I just started a run where I flipped Coptic early on, going to repaint the religious map like a motherfucker.

Edit: Coptic Ottomans are a beast. It shouldn't take long to get all five blessings; then you have stupidly powerful missionaries, cheap coring cost, etc.

I think by now I like Karaman ideas more than Ottomans, but you lose 50ish years or more at game start. That culture conversion bonus + religious + policy + adjacent culture conversion makes for funny culture maps.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
From what I remember there are no clean numbers for this and only theories based retellings from colonists and conquistadores, but the estimates for both continents are 50-95% of the population dying to disease. As in some papers claim the Americas had a higher population than Europe at the time. There's excavations for cities with huge field and irrigation areas that could have supported large populations but by the time colonists arrived in those areas there was nothing left there.

There's of course other factors that are being mentioned such as climate change and local wars, which destroyed the infrastructure needed to maintain large population centers (food and water supply).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You could probably add one via modded decision or mission, if you understand the scripting somewhat. Wouldn't be that hard I think and there is an AI flag for it so only you can do it.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah for Austria I went with Diplo -> Religious (reformation + Balkans and eastern Europe) -> Offensive -> Influence and after that it didn't matter anymore.
One thing I found odd is the Hungary PU, it's a flat 25% chance to get the PU, your diplomatic relations don't even matter. I restarted until I got it, since it saves you a war and the event is triggered in the 1450s.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

Also it's probably England or France getting an immersion pack. Or Sweden!

Pretty sure it will be France, but wondering what they can do since the more interesting things for France are in the 18th century and nobody really plays that long. I still don't have that "occupy the capital of a nation that is the target of a revolution" achievement.
Austria or Castile might be other contenders. England seems less likely since they got their custom government already (lets ignore here that it's a poo poo one).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

How do I Karaman?

You replay the first 10 years until you get a game where the Ottomans get hosed in their first Balkan war. Games where Venice and Hungary are allied are really good for it. Venice is very weird with allies tough, and they often gently caress up in the first year.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I was under the impression the -100 modifier is intended and only goes away after 20 (?) years. So you really want them to spawn in OPMs or capitals, since force converting as part of a peace deal or via vassal interaction removes the CoR. Not sure if they reintroduced the limit of 3 CoRs per game per faith or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
We're going back to the discussion of why Defensive, Quality and Offensive are better than Quantity, because Quantity mostly teaches bad things, right?