Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Keeping your war goals list regularly updated seems to help a bit at least. Especially if you make sure to do it before every war. In my Holland -> Netherlands game France and the other allies were willing to honour nearly everything on the list besides a few provinces in Picardy which made it easy to gobble up the majority of Burgundy and its other crown territories over time.

AI still being able to ignore forts is dumb as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The rebels definitely keep going for a while. In my Austria game I had the Netherlands inside the HRE as a OPM - long story - while also having most of their historical territory and got tons of revolts in the 30-40k troops range.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Once you get 15+ Naval for Galleons they start being okay but before then it's nothing but light ships as far as the eye can see. And Galleys for inland seas of course.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A combat width of galleys will absolutely poo poo all over a combat width of heavies in inland seas.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

double nine posted:

what's a good country to play a diplo-heavy game? I've still got a bunch of vassal-focused achievements to do, as well as the 5 allies with 100 trust one.

Go full WC crazy Austria? By 1550 you can already have privileges revoked and most of europe vassalized.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Let's not forget Ming allying with some random European power and being able to freely march armies across the entire continent to fight a war where you've completely crushed your original target and now have to wait years for them to finally maybe decide white peace is okay. Or some random overseas country who can't even send armies. Or that country in the middle of Africa you can't get to. Or many other instances of insanity where a moment of thought and a tiny sliver of effort could fix - with even something as simple as modifiers.

But no, it's the player's faults.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Your first game with Portugal should obviously be allying with Aragon to eat Castille then turning around and allying France to eat Aragon. Form Spain and make every single person living on the iberian peninsula cry out in horror.

Bonus points if you then use Spain's overpowered age bonus to eat southern France and the entire Genoan trade node to set your capital/trading center in and then spend the rest of the game feeding the node until you're richer than god.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 21, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Is this actually possible? I started a new game three or four times and every time Aragon starts with Portugal rivaled.

It's possible but definitely requires a bit of rerolling for favourable starts. Your ideal one would be a start where Aragon and France have Castile rivaled while France also has Aragon rivaled - though you're more likely to run into France only having Aragon rivaled which is fine, the important thing is just getting France allied asap after breaking with Castile for the trust which you'll need so they don't declare war once you have borders later (assuming you take the safe strat). Break with England and ally with Castile before declaring war on Granada and taking both their strait crossing and the closest province to Aragon once the treaty expires. Usually Granada is allied with Morocco by this point which also lets you complete the conquer Cueta(I think that is its name) while stiffing Castile on any conquest gains and breaking the alliance. Turn around and ally Aragon, wait until the break ally truce ends then take a huge chunk out of Castile while giving Aragon as little as possible - race for the best provinces and especially the ones that let you form Spain. It'll take a few wars but once you're done eating the most important bits of Castile and have good borders with Aragon you then stiff Aragon in the last war and break before allying with France. Declare asap and use France to crush Aragon. Two to three wars will let you eat the important bits of Aragon to form Spain. While waiting for Admin 10 you can then either just recover your armies or start poking about at your southern muslim neighbors to finish off trade nodes. After you form Spain finish eating Castile/Aragon then turn your attentions on France. If you want to play safe, then just stop here and enjoy conquering/colonizing everything in asia/new world/whatever. Otherwise it's time to say farewell to France and start looking for allies with your ideal choices being Austria and maybe Burgundy if they're doing well. Play the normal waiting game for France to get caught in a war - usually with England - before taking your allies and marching on France, prioritizing trade node lands and creating a land bridge snaking across through the Genoa trade node. Spend a few more wars conquering the rest of the node then sit back and watch the vast majority of the wealth in the world flow directly to you.

It's an incredibly fun game/strat and very satisfying to eventually pull off. Eventually once your overseas empire is large enough you can just pick on France/England to regularly take their colonies and completely lock them out of ever having colonial nations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Groogy posted:

You don't want to see how the game would look without any effort.
But yeah we totally don't do any effort play testing at all, part of it is totally not even live streamed where you get to see us before release to find issues and patch poo poo for next week.

The sad part is this makes it look even worse than if you hadn't put any effort in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

skasion posted:

What’s the quickest England could feasibly grab Gibraltar? I kind of want to steal it from Granada really quick before Castile can eat them, but I probably won’t be able to core it if I do that so early, right?

You'd have to eat the stab hit from war without a cb but nothing is stopping you from deccing day one. And Castile/Portugal won't jump in until a few years later when their truce ends so you'd want to do it before that. And it should be in coring range with it being on the coast and all.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A date wasn't specified but if you're in the Age of Reformation then Spain gets a massive -30% Received Shock Damage from their special age ability which can let them crush armies that aren't prepared.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Depending on how troubled Denmark gets you should probably try and nab Sjælland for the Sound Toll. And definitely grab Lübeck asap for its coastal center and plonk your trading capital onto it. Then you'll want to use all of your light ships to protect trade and stop the english channel from stealing it all. Crush the Hansa!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
My own strategy for ideas is: Small european nation? Defensive. Large superpower nation? Quantity. Especially if there are a lot of vassals.

While being able to pinpoint destroy armies is all well and good once you get to the point of steamrolling you might as well embrace full overwhelm mode and sweep across nations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
They don't get bonus pips. But they do get bonus ruler skills and pay significantly less for advisers which allows them to generate more generals more often.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There are so many things to unpack from that one peace agreement. Please share a map.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Generally don't run a no-cb war unless it's something really important like being able to claim a throne. With that said, if you have the extra admin then it's not the worst thing in the world. Not missing anything.

Of course, for gimmick runs you usually have to no-cb due to claims and such.

E: Should reiterate. It's also worth doing things like breaking truces for important things. Because the penalties are usually fixable with mana it can be worth it to do rarely.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 28, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
No longer needing to conquer zanzibar to make sure trade flows is a good change.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

So Reman in his videos

This line alone is probably the single worst thing about weird fetish worship of people who make videos.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
No doubt. But taking everything as gospel and never, ever going outside some very narrow preset without realizing they're just guidelines leads to all the weird stuff like believing drilling is never good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
1600 is a bit late to still be chewing up on Europe and sounds like you haven't been skirting the coalition line close enough. Due to positioning it's generally better for France to just dismantle the HRE and feed their provinces to a vassal so you can hit the point of being powerful enough to ignore coalitions faster instead of having to wait for the normal vassalization through being Emperor. For comparison, Austria can hit that point by 1550.

Also working on colonization is a big waste of money and idea slots and should be left to a vassalized Portugal/Spain to worry about.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're quick you can have The Treaty of Westphalia signed before 1550 and the outbreak of leagues which makes it not even matter. Still want to have various holdings dotted around the empire to border as many princes as possible and enforce religious unity to make sure authority growth stays high though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So I was just flicking through the map to see what was going on and, uh

I don't even know how this happened as the elective monarchy fired and Lithuania was under PU to Poland like normal.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The variant of colourblindness that includes yellow and green is pretty common so a fair chunk probably never realized.

E: Fair chunk being a few percent of players.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Groogy posted:

Also tons of people got banned for comments like "Galicians are not real people" etc.

Wait why would anyone want to claim this.

Note: My only knowledge about Galicia is that it's in Spain.
E: Also legitimately curious.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Debasing up into the 10-15% range isn't that bad if it secures you early dominance for the steamroll. Also corruption gives -unrest which can be helpful as a side effect.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Didn't see it mentioned but corruption also raises the minimum local autonomy doesn't it? So at 2 corruption you have minimum 2% autonomy and so on. This is essentially a reduction on the direct income from provinces, ie 10 corruption = 10% less money from provinces. Not as big a deal when you make most of your money from trade, but potentially a problem when you don't have a big trade income, and takes a while to crank down.

Corruption raises autonomy by 0.5% per point so not quite so severe. Power costs are 1:1 though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The prerequisites are pretty specific - good size + revolution disaster + capital controlled by rebels - that if you rush it you're usually going to get it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, so it was doomed from the start because the AI will always let the Shadow kingdom happen?

what the gently caress

"Rein in Northern Italy posted:

Potential requirements
The country:
is a player.
is the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
has not enacted this decision before.
The event ‘The Shadow Kingdom’ has not happened before.
The event ‘The Kingdom of Italy and the Empire’ has happened.

It is indeed very stupid.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dumb question: what is Splendor? Im at the end of a game, the first I play in a while, and I noticed the ages (it was new to me), I dont think I saw anything called splendor. Maybe is related to some DLC I dont have?

Splendor is the currency you use to buy age bonuses. Completing age objectives gives more splendor per month (and power projection).

E: It's probably because you don't have the correct DLC as it's apparently a Mandate of Heaven only thing.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 18, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Poil posted:

I wish I knew what this did, beyond +5 unrest in every province.

It's apparently this one The King's Approval. There has to be a better way to do that then having it hit every single province in korea seperately.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can try playing as Portugal if you want some vaguely 4X-esque gameplay to help familiarize yourself with the differences. Become BFFs with Castile, take Exploration and Expansion as your first idea groups, colonize the new world and maybe beat up Morocco along the way or get involved in some colonial wars for funsies.

Proper Portugal play involves eating both Castile and Aragon to fuel your empire :colbert: Any other suggestion is heresy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not as advice to a newbie, which this obviously is.

Well they won't learn until jumping straight in! Colonizer-only portugal is pretty boring too and doesn't use many of the mechanics.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Burning prestige on booting heirs is the best use for it and you're about to get a bunch from the reconquista anyways. A+ choice

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ilitarist posted:

Anyway, I'm surprised about how sparse Irish mission tree is. It's mostly about claims on Britain. Apart from that there's one mission about universities, Rule Britannia gives me a bonus to ships, and some New World missions give you better colonists and potato. I can't also properly become a Great Britain; I guess I can culture switch but for some reason I expected Ireland itself to be able to switch.

Not being able to declare Irish hegemony over the united isles has always been a grave travesty. Luckily though you should have the 50% required to culture switch and it's well worth the points.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Also adding a bunch of tags to simulate both the colonizing and colonized countries would probably cause the engine to catch fire and burn to the ground. A better simulation would be nice, though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Poil posted:

Thanks. I'm playing as Holland and have the required provinces. However getting kicked out of the HRE would suck and put a stop to my very slow expansion into it so I don't know if it's worth it. Not sure what else except maybe plot and scheme to beat up some englishmen and culture convert them all to welsh. Because.

Holding off until you've stolen all the HRE lands is fine. Or if you want to game it you can try and conquer an elector and hope you get chosen as their replacement then you'll have the best of both worlds. Also you should absolutely take London asap and completely take over the english channel trade zone to rake in infinite money once colonization is going strong.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The only bearable WC is Austria-HRE cheese and feeding vassals endlessly until you hit the magic button and instantly gain the entire world under your control. Then quit and never do it again because it's still really boring.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone have any experience playing Voltaire's Nightmare? Is it any good?

It's hilariously fun and grognardy while also having a bunch of known bugs that they always say they're planning to update and just haven't :sigh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

This is probably the worst mechanic they've ever added to the game. Does anybody think it's a good thing for random European countries to be able to grab huge chunks of land in Asia for a handful of ducats?

It really should have been like ck2 trade ports modified to having to pay for the rights to the trade power bonus of the CoT from the country without giving away actual control of the territory.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now I know who to blame when those fuckers take four of my forts for every one siege of theirs

Well the guy who made them was killed when one of his own cannons exploded so he didn't get to enjoy his success.