Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am not getting a merchant for having over 50 percent trade power in the South Africa Trade Company Region. Even though it says in the trade screen that I should get one. Did they change that in this update and forget to update the UI or is it a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I normally keep forts unless they overlap. However it depends on how poor of a nation I start with. My latest game is Theodoro, and there the half ducat per month is a lot more useful for armies, missionaries and advisors. It does suck with rebellions though.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I think the last patch did something with estates allocation at game start. In the Norway start the Nobility starts with way too many provinces. 7 of 18 provinces, but they start with the high development ones besides the capital. They have over max influence from allocated provinces. Have to remove like 2 or three provinces to get them down to a manageable level. Which will tank the nobility loyalty for many years.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 23, 2018

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yes it is possible. It just makes little sense. Norway is not known for its strong nobility.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
It really depends on how much power you have in your home node compared to all the other nations with power there. If you are totally dominating it, it will most certainly be best to steer trade to your home node. However if you are having trouble there and have like 60 percent or less it might make more sense to collect in a node like Carribean if you have most of the power there. One thing to note is that if you chose to collect in any other node except your home node, it might be good to use more or all mechants to collect in nodes where you have power, because only one merchant collecting and not transferring trade power will remove the bonus power that gives in your home node. The problem here is that it is hard to give excact numerical guidelines because it all depends on how strong the other trade powers are too in the nodes in question.

F.ex, with a colonial Norway it is likely you will earn more money from collecting with all merchants unless you have taken over England and can dominate the english channel and north sea or you have been able to take out most of the competing trade power in Lubeck.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am a bit sad to say that I am totally uninterested in this new expansion. I will jump off this train until EU5 comes.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The game has evolved into a bloated mess. Innovativeness... I rest my case.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
How does Innovativeness make the game better? Does it lead to interesting decisions? My rule of thumb is that I take techs when the ahead of time penalty is gone. Mil tech I always do that if I can, and for diplo and admin other things can have higher priority, like finishing coring or finishing idea groups. I don't see how innovativeness changes this at all. It is just a small bonus if I am able to play my country in a good way. No decision making involved. I have never thought: drat, I need to take this tech now to keep my innovativeness. Because taking techs is something I will do anyway. This is why I think it is pointless and I call it bloat. Getting bonuses just for playing is not really something I asked for. The game is already too easy when you do well.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I am confused. Do the artillery give half their defensive pips to the unit in front or do they not? I seem to remember there was a time when it did.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I don't like mission trees. Too much railroading. And too many permanent claims given out as candy. I suspect I am a minority in this as usual though.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
What is going on with nations joining the empire? After the Shadow Kingdom fired quite a few italian nations left the empire, but in the 20 years after most have joined it again. Even the pope. And Ragusa has joined it. Seems a bit out of control.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I find it baffling that they released it in this broken state considering the time they spent on it. Why do I keep spending my money on this stuff? I really need to learn.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't played a real game for a while. Now I have a game as Landshut -> Bavaria and there seems to have been a change to the combat AI. In many of my wars the AI just let me siege down their forts and stay the hell away from me. And if I get even remotely close to one of their armies sieging they abandon the siege super quick. And it is not like I outnumber them massively either. I have won many wars in this last game without even having a fight. Even France was pussies and stayed in the southwestern corner while I sieged down their forts. I remember the game being more fun than this.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I assume it's an attempt to fix how easy it was to bait stacks onto your forts and wiping them because they almost never stopped sieges after they started them.

Yes that is probably one part of it. But still they should try to break my sieges. As an example when I was sieging down France I had 3 sieges running in different parts and if he concentrated his forces he could defeat me in one area at a time. Back in the day I remember France combining all their forces into a doomstack and just running around fighting all the armies in their lands one at a time. Doesn't do that anymore in this one game example. I can't remember any other nations doing it either in this game. Effectively combining forces. Maybe it is because they really don't like to take attrition now?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 20, 2020

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I had about 100k forces spread around sieging France. He had about 80k. So if he had combined his forces he could have forced me to only siege one fort at a time or wipe my spread out forces. Back when I played a lot the AI used to combine their forces into doomstacks to threaten sieging armies. They do much less of this now it seems.

I just find it boring to win wars without fighting at all.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Strange. Maybe the troop quality difference is too large or something then. Or they already have low manpower. I will see when I fight the Ottomans later.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

In my post-patch game the ottomans were regularly hitting me with over 100k in combined stacks. I haven’t noticed any difference in the ai

Yes you are right Ottomans did throw 100k stacks on me. Not sure what happened earlier in the game then.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
That is not true.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I have been trying out Leviathan now that the last of the bugs have been cleared up and Majapahit is crazy strong once you navigate the initial unrest period (which is not very hard, especially on the current patch because the collapse disaster doesn't fire at game start, it only triggers when you reload a save for the first time).

Well clearly not all bugs have been fixed then.

*Just found that sentence a bit funny. I know you meant the major bugs.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have never played Anbennar before and was learning the mod doing an adventurer (Sons of Damaria) start. There is something that makes me a bit confused. There is quite a few missions that requires that you don't have the Adventurer Company reform active. The reform that you start with. But I never got to do those missons before transforming to a new kingdom. As it was always being blocked by still being an Adventurer Company. And when I transformed to Adenica the missions got replaced so the chance of completing them disappeared. I am talking about the missions like urbanizing your capital and making your own weapons.

Is this bugged through an update or did I miss something?

Hryme fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 10, 2021

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Is it better to purge the orcs and goblins or to try to coexist with them? I noticed that even when I had green orc as an accepted culture they gave +4 revolt chance as a coexisting minority. Does that ever get reduced?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks again. That was the two things I was a bit confused over and google was not that helpful. Expected in the age of discord I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
EU5. Hell yeah. I have been waiting for this for a long time. Now I have to avoid becoming overhyped.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 7, 2024