Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I've been trying out the expansion as Ardabil and I think I've gotten off the ground to the point where I stand a good chance of forming Persia. Been a lot of trial and error, probably over a dozen attempts including the times I would restart the game if Qara hated me at the start. I've gotten all my cores back, took some provinces off of Shirvan and have reduced Ajam to a opm using Qara and Mushashan bodies. Still feels like one bad war will wreck me but my plan right now is to use my allies to take the provinces I need from the no vassal Timurids then backstab Qara once the Ottomans come for them.

Has anyone been watching how the Ottomans handle going east in their games? Anything I should be worrying about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

Any tips for getting an Ardabil game off the ground? You start with one 9 dev province, a tiny army, Qara Qoyunlu hates your guts and nobody important is willing to ally you.

I'm wrapping up an Ardabil to Persia game and I'm about two wars with the Ottomans away from getting This Is Persia. I just kept restarting the game if Qara didn't start friendly towards me. Even then, I screwed up two attempts in risky wars. For the one that finally worked, I allied Qara straight away and got allies when I could, but Mushasha was the only one I was able to stick with for awhile. Got lucky with Ajam stumbling into a war with Timurids within the first five years of the game. I jumped on them with Qara and Mushasha's help to get my cores back. Took most of Shirvan's provinces but for most of the early game I just tried to wait till I could get that first national idea that gives you morale and monthly progress towards mysticism. Got it at the same time as the morale boost from defensive ideas which made a huge difference in fights.

Started one war with Ajam and joined Qara in another till they got reduced to one province. Qara ended up giving a bunch of their land to the Timurids in that peace deal which kept them strong for awhile, but later I jumped Timurids when they were bogged down in a war and cut them in half. That gave me enough development to where I could rival Qara and leave them with no allies just in time for the Mamluks to attack. I took what was left of Qara when the truce was up and formed Persia about a decade into the age of reformation. I had been careful not to take any land that the Ottomans had claimed or wanted through missions so I got them as an ally fairly quickly.

From then it was smooth sailing. Got all my permanent claims, ate what was left of Timurids and just expanded everywhere I could till the Ottomans broke their alliance with Russia that they'd had for most of the game. When they did I rivaled them which let me instantly ally Austria near the start of the age of absolutism. I went all in on military ideas so with Austria's help we've been grinding down the Ottomans to the point where they really can't defend themselves anymore, I'm stack wiping them every battle now.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Picked up Third Rome recently and wanted to give Muscovy a try. Are the colonies you get from the dlc enough to get the Relentless Push East achievement without taking Exploration or Expansion? Can you colonize Alaska with them?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Went a bit apeshit, I own all of Persia (plus up to Georgia and Dagestan), most of Arabia, 99% of India, all of continental SE Asia and south China. Even with all the +states government reforms (55 states currently, only 2 +state tech remaining and still quite far away) I still get +0.80 corruption/year due to territories/states ratio :v: having the slider maxed out is -1, having overextension amounts to about +0.3-0.4 at a time if you don't go overboard so it's floating around the same value (15) with little chance for a significant decrease.

And since it's only 1710 or so, I still plan to conquer all of Ming's remaining lands now that their mandate is well and truly tanked by a 6000 development monster biting off their southern lands, that will bring the penalty to the full -1 for sure.

Edit: by this point any "penalty" is merely a nuisance since I've pretty much won the game 50 years ago, but still

In my Mughals game I was well over the 6000 development mark and had bitten off about 80 percent overextensions worth of land from the Ottomans. Even with the root out corruption slider set to max I was still gaining corruption. I never really felt the territory penalty before that as I was raking in a ridiculous income from my land but I decided to end it there. Took everything I knew of to raise the state cap so I guess past a certain point of expansion corruption's gonna get ya.

Thank gently caress for Threaten War, though. Used that option to snatch about 6 trade company provinces away from euros that I needed for missions.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Making good progress on the Anglophile achievement. The description for the Great Britain Ascendant mission says it will complete if the HRE doesn't exist, but that isn't listed as an option in the preceding mission requiring the support of 3 electors. Will dismantling the HRE complete them both or will I break the mission chain?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Here's the full description for both missions.

Control Electors
One of the following must be true:
If at least 3:
All Electors:
Will be backing Great Britain to become Emperor
If at least 3:
All Electors:
Is a vassal of Great Britain

Great Britain, Ascendant
Completed Mission Control Electors
One of the following must be true:
Great Britain:
Is the Emperor of the HRE
Proclaim Erbkaisertum is enacted
All of the following must be true:
Less than 1 members of HRE.
Holy Roman Empire does NOT exist

The wiki says that dismantling the HRE will complete both missions but I didn't know if I should trust that.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Excellent, thanks. Now lets see if I can knock out Master of India on this run as well.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Play as Morocco, conquer as much of Algiers as you can, use your vassal swarms to beat the Iberians (this is especially easy if you wait for the Castilian civil war), take the Azores/Canaries asap, start colonizing, go beat up the Iberians more/Tunis if they aren't allied to the Ottomans (they will be), get to work on grabbing your African claims with the power of superior tech, form Andalusia after you get the Black Guard and all your West African claims, and then enjoy pressing the money button that gives you tons of gold because you have a ton of development in the colonies. You can also get yourself a ton of vassals by going Influence idea group after Explore/Expand since you should be able to fairly trivially conquer the Swahili coast and that will give you control over Ivory trade which gives you +2 diplo reputation. Morocco is reeeeally stupid. You can also ally France early on which makes all of the above even easier, although it's not necessary.

In the middle of an excellent Morocco game right now and more or less did this. Working on finishing my original mission tree before I click the decision to form Andalusia, but I'm stuck on Raid Iberian Trade. It says my privateers need 25% trade power in the straits of Gibraltar. Does that refer to the Safi node or the Sevilla? I've got 20 light ships set on raiding the Sevilla node and it looks like I have 26% privateer power there, but its not counting for the mission.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, it was Sevilla. Doubled the number of light ships doing privateering there and that solved it.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Doing a Mongolia to Yuan game for the first time and I’m wondering if I made the right choice with how to handle religion. I kept Tengri with Vajrayana as my syncretic faith and I’ve almost completed religious ideas.
Been taking lots of Sunni and Confucian land and my missionaries have been constantly converting, but my religious unity has hovered between 50 to 70 percent for most of the game. Rebels have been a very consistent pain.

Confident I can carry it through to forming Mongol empire but I’m wondering if there’s a better way to maintaining religious unity.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

There's a couple policies that give +20% religious unity (plus another bonus depending on what other whether it's the Offensive/Diplomatic/Aristocratic one). Those are quite helpful; alternatively Humanist ideas are amazing for that, though probably not worth it if you're also taking Religious.

I think in terms of sycretization, you eventually want to drop any altogether and just run pure Tengri for the cavalry bonuses. If you're doing that then Aristocratic ideas are more worthwhile as well, which pairs well with the above.

I picked religious over humanist cause I figured I’d quickly blow past the plus 25 and the unboosted missionaries wouldn’t be able to keep up. I almost never consider policies when picking idea groups but I’ve already got diplo filled out and offensive is almost done, so I should be fine.

Yuan has a nice idea set but I want to get my horde mechanics back already.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

I’m 30 years into a France game, should I flip Protestant as soon as it spawns and go about force converting in the HRE to gently caress with Austria? Unified Germany before age of absolutism doesn’t sound fun.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I started France game too. In the first year the Pope has excommunicated me, so I've restrained the appeal and now there's little doubt I'll reform ASAP.

Do you really want to get deep into HRE early? People there are hard to diplovassalize. I wonder if just humiliating Austria is enough to stop the HRE progress.

You don’t need to take land or vassalize to do forced conversion. If the IA is building as fast as I’ve read here then the only thing I can think to do is force as much HRE land Protestant as I can and help the Reformation along so it can do some damage.

I’ve already humiliated Austria once this game. If that does hurt their authority I’ll have to make some round trips to Vienna. I’ll check when I get off work.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Lmao Burgundian inheritance fired and they took the Hapsburg prince option. They annexed their PU nations and got PUed by Austria. The game is telling me to wait for the balance patch and I'm gonna listen.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Shawon Dunston posted:

This is actually working as designed. Most of the "positive" outcomes of the Inheritance for Burgundy itself involve them instantly annexing the PUs.

Oh yeah I didn't think it was a bug. But between that and seeing every nation I wanted to war with join the HRE pushed me over the edge to stop investing in this save and wait for the patch. Really enjoyed the taste I got of the new estate system, though.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is my first time playing since they added missions and I must I quite do not like them. At all. Do I have some sort of brain worms and/or bad opinions? I just feel like between the new Estate mechanics and missions the game is way more fiddly than it used to be. I feel like I have to spend too much time looking at menus and screens and moving my mouse around trying to figure out what each of my zillion options are and I cant just play the game and have fun.

Would you be able to elaborate on estates at all? I'm really struggling with them. I dont know if its a UI or just simple lack of familiarity but I'm hating it right now.

Well if you don't like analyzing all of the new options then its not a change for you. The big thing is that you can squeeze so much money out of estate actions that you can avoid ever taking real loans. I never went below 10 percent crown land so maybe there's a harsher penalty there, but the lighter penalties from having low crown land aren't that bad. I wasn't smashing the buttons as soon as the cooldown was off, but with some conquering and development I made thousands of ducats from using the sell land option then seizing it back. For privileges, I prioritized getting the ones that boosted your monarch point generation and the Indebted to the Burghers privilege gives virtually no interest loans. The other options are gonna be specific to your start, for instance I left my nobility alone as they start with high influence and their special vassal privilege that you need to revoke as part of your mission tree. I had picked France as my first game mainly for the estate system. I thought it was really neat to have to wait for the right time to wrestle their power away. Looking through all the options there's a lot of potential for interesting ways to get as much out of the estates as you can while being careful not to give them too much influence.

If you don't want to deal with any of that I'd just get your crown land up past 30 percent and use the Call Diet action whenever you can. Its a more dynamic version of the old mission system so maybe that appeals to you.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I think estate good monopolies are great. You get lump sum you can immediately use on mercenaries and stuff. You won't have to irritate the estate by revoking it, it will expire by itself.

You still need to manually revoke the privilege once the 10 years expires.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

You do get a bonus to your army tradition and an age objective in the absolutism era if you were on the winning side.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Has anyone seen Poland take the PU over Lithuania this patch? From my own two games and streams I've watched they go local noble every time. Same with independence for Naples.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have seen the reverse every game :v:

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I've seen them go for it twice now (and pass it up twice).

Cool, thought it might have been more patch weirdness.

So centers of revolution spawn in countries with high absolutism, right? If you're not France is the only way to increase your chances of being the revolution target cranking absolutism to max and hoping you get lucky?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress I forgot that embracing the enlightenment prevents the French Revolution disaster. Does that prevent the generic revolution from spawning in my land as well?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

What even governs Revolutionary spread? I got it as Russia, embraced it, and now the whole drat world is revolutionary.

My client states are Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary Revolutionary <name> too for some reason.

Did you pop them out after you went revolutionary or did they flip on their own? I just hit age of revolutions in my Prussia to Germany game and I want my future client states to join in on the fun, assuming the revolution doesn't spawn in Ming or something.

Anyone know if your regular vassals will go revolutionary as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

And yeah the Hegemon implementation feels pretty half-assed imo. You can ditch it by losing any war though, which includes giving 25 ducats to some secondary combatant.

A white peace gets rid of it as well.