Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

If I try to change the ruler's religion to Sunni with the national decision, I take a 2 stab hit and no change takes place. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Poil posted:

"Our leader openly patronizes the No Religion faith".
Looks like your sultan's an atheist. :v:

Yeah, exactly - I guess Aq Qoyunlu's starting heir was designed to have no religion? For some reason?

When I hover over, it says he's Orthodox, which is even weirder.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hey, what map mods are you using?

Just Graphical Map Improvements for now. I really miss Thick Borders and Recolored Water but it seems abandoned, as are the awesome(!) colored UI mods from pre-Third Rome. :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Another Person posted:

Hey so I know some devs read the SA threads and thought I would leave some Cradle thoughtzzzz here.

The DLC is really good, and revitalised my interest in an area I had played countless times by just hitting it with a sledgehammer and making like 25 new nations. The new government interactions are fun, and I find I always have stuff to be doing with them and always have plans to be doing further things. It is no longer a bipolar power region, as Qara and Timmy now put up more of a real fight. I am loving the new tags, the new government systems, and the new provinces/trade goods, as well as the rebalanced nations.

However, the Muslim faith system rework, legalism/mysticism events maybe needing some tuning? The pulse on the events is incredibly fast, which means I can regularly and easily get a ton of manpower or just drop 2 corruption. The way in which the system only partially resets your progress towards one of the two poles isn't enough. If I am really gunning for it, I can have 100 legalism or mysticism again before 3 years are up, 2 years before I can even hit that button again. This means there is basically almost no incentive to not just reset that legalism/mysticism for the juicy bonuses, because you will get it back incredibly shortly anyway. The pulse timer might well be the same as the old Muslim event timer, but the old timer didn't have such a powerful potential to just spam corruption out. Basically there is no decision or trade off in hitting the buttons, and it takes very little to sustain max mysticism or legalism even if you are hitting them at every chance.

Similarly, I also feel kinda spammed by events in this new patch, between those pulse events and the new province development modifier events, which also seem to happen incredibly frequently. While I don't mind being given nice hefty bonuses, dev cost reduction is kinda really easy for me to game, especially if I am running an almost constant -10% tech modifier with no corruption due to legalism.

On the rebalanced nations however, the Ottos feel kinda... too weak? I know they are intended to be weaker, however, I ran about 8 observer games up to about 1550 after I noticed them get rolled twice and saw them get rolled a further 6 times in those observers. It seems Byz is easily getting allies and defeating the Ottos now, and Venice and Candar usually strike when the Ottos fight Byz too. I have seen all of the state of Rum flip to Candar, as well as the Ottos lose Greece to Byz and for some pissant like Genoa to take the Eastern Aegean coast. They maybe aren't the threat that they are supposed to be in that region, despite being so large. While they probably should not be an unstoppable wrecking ball, they have maybe been too lowly tuned. As such, I haven't actually seen the Ottos fight the Mamluks without me severely weakening the Mamluks first yet. They just can't muster the momentum any more. They sorta just stay a regional power, instead of becoming a continental threat.

I feel like I don't get events to move my piety one way or the other enough.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Another Person posted:

If you manage your rulers right (disinheriting for good ones, then stepping down when possible and your heir is about 20), you can easily sustain it. If you can get to 100 legalism the first time in a rulers lifetime, you will get there 3-4 more times due to events, and even more from warring if you keep on top of it (although why you would have so much corruption is a mystery). I have had 100 legalism for over a century as the Mughals, while also having some god rulers. Between the conversion prestige age bonus, infinite disinheriting, god rulers and legalism, I have basically had an absurdly easy run. It isn't just Mughals though, I did the same as Qara, Rassids, and Mamluks. If you just make it so that your rulers are young, you can easily keep that number high and never have any corruption, and have -10% tech cost. Getting additional legalism for declaring on different faith nations is just icing on the cake.

Basically, keep your rulers young and spearhead directly into wrong faith lands, get that prestige for conversion bonus first in the Age of Reformation (it is so good, too good to pass up imho) while keeping an estate inquisitor on hire (and hell, promote them to at least +4 because they are so cheap). You can easily sustain so many absurd bonuses doing that. I guess on one hand it gives you a Muslim metagame of intentionally spreading the faith, but on the other hand it is incredibly, absurdly powerful.

e; basically the op strategy for all muslim nations now is to take religious ideas, and then run as far away from other same branch islamic nations as fast as you can, and you can basically sustain insane modifiers and bonuses for about a century or two. it is a level of synchronicity you would expect out of some absurd combo normally.

Sure, maxing out legalism is easy enough if you're declaring on wrong religion, but that's completely different from events letting you go back and forth - I've only gotten mysticism past 75 once, period, across something like 100 years of combined playthrough.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Another Person posted:

I was able to keep mysticism maxed as Rassids. They were my mystic run, because I needed the conversion strength. I don't know why you guys can't sustain it, I've been having a really easy time with it? Maybe I've just been absurdly lucky, but I think it is really easy to keep either of them incredibly high. Also, I am not only using the events, I am also intentionally using the button to reset progress back whenever possible.

As the Rassids, were you declaring war to keep mysticism high? No one is disputing that war declarations are the best way to move the slider one way or the other, but yeah, it sounds like you've been really lucky with events so far.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Well, hopefully this conversation will rub off the "tons of events firing" onto me as well then. :unsmith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Do you need MoH for the drill troops option and to improve advisors? It's not showing for me.

Also, is it me or are Timurids even more boned? Before you at least had rich provinces and could find allies, and manage your unrest with a bit of luck and more accepted cultures; now all your slots are filled with vassals that hate your guts. Every game has had the old ruler die in 2 years and my vassals pouncing on me. Are you supposed to lose them all and do a recovery game?

Timmies can be a little tricky but here's the rough outline of how to emerge easily the strongest power in central Asia:

1.) Take the lenient taxation policy, obv.
2.) Placate to get Transoxana below 50% LD - this prevents Ming from supporting their independence, yes that's a thing because Paradox.
3.) Declare on Ajam ASAP, so long as they don't ally a strong power. You get arelations bonus with each of your vassals for this that helps keep LD low while you improve relations with Transoxana and Fars.
4.) Ajam is probably going to be a hellwar so take what you can - focus on sustainable growth, you can come back later.
5.) By now your king has probably died and only 2 or so of your vassals are loyal. If not at least 2, then use development to bring it down. Otherwise, diplo annex the loyal ones. This brings your development high enough that the other vassals fall in line.

This has been reliable for me. Diplo-annexing Fars is basically the key to staying strong enough vassals LD doesn't break the 50% mark. Stack diplo rep too if you can, though don't break your back doing it - consider it a "nice to have".

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, Japan was completely redone with MoH. I ended up having to abandon an MoH Japan run after a series of stupid bugs. The straw that broke the camel's back was when one of my allies ended up not joining the independence war even though they had the green checkmark and were selected.

Yeah, I'm about at this point in my Ayyubid run. Ottomans warning expired, which led to.. the warning not actually expiring, and so a year passed while I was like "what the hell" before the AI re-warned me anyway. :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

It took an unconscionable amount of time for me to get Saladin's Legacy. :smith: Still never had Mysticism get to anywhere beyond 0.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Any word on fixing the event bug? It's been in the game since release and rehosting MP games every hour to fix it is getting pretty frustrating.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Confirming the new patch still doesn't fix the multiplayer event bug, I say as our group actively reloads the game so players get their events.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

If I remember correctly, smaller nations teched up faster in EU3. It would allow, for example, the Netherlands to fight on somewhat even footing with France by having higher quality troops from mil tech despite being greatly outnumbered. Something like that in EU4 would be nice. There'd just have to be some limitation requiring a nation to actually be small, so larger nations wouldn't just deliberately leave provinces unstated.

This is only sort of true. Tech costs maxed out after a point, so, like in EU4, bigger always beat better.

It's worth noting Johan's said this is a deliberate design decision behind EU - that expansion should be the driving part of the game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

I like the EU series because it ISN'T groggy as gently caress, thanks.

I don't think immersion is inherently grog. The big thing Paradox games need right now is assymmetry.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

You could pretty much play any of them other than France. Aside from Ming and the Ottomans it's the easiest nation in the game; you can get real challenges as Portugal, Burgundy... I forget the other recommended nations off hand but anyway. This seems like a really odd complaint.

Alternatively, play on a higher difficulty.

Not to say you haven't got valid complaints but the game has changed and improved an absolute shitload over the years, it's not just random bandaid fixes (although that has seemed to be the trend for the past year or so). Yeah Paradox haven't solved AI logistics stuff but getting that to function in a reasonable way is probably one of the single most complex problems that exists in strategy game AI programming so I think you should cut them some slack on that.

Someone else already replied, but just to clarify - it really isn't about easy vs. hard, it's about how fun it is. I don't think "France should be an enjoyable game" is a big stretch, but it isn't right now, and a big reason is the chief complaint of EU since EU3 (not EU2, though, notably): Peace is boring.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

EU4 actually does a pretty decent job of simulating the 30YW.

Except for HAB just getting curbstomped because the AI isn't capable of building a strong empire. :v:

Although sometimes the Protestants just forget to start the war and the AI wins by default, that's cool too.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

Yah I agree

paradox_dlc.txt

Player: "I feel like this is an oversight"
Dev: "agreed"

Patch maybe (if lucky) fixes it, Paradox makes no effort to playtest next DLC to fix obvious issue, repeat. :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Yes, Paradox games are of course famous for being the only software ever released to have a bug in them.

Who said that? If you want to pretend to fanboy, were you around for the EU2 patches, when things were way worse?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Groogy posted:

You don't want to see how the game would look without any effort.
But yeah we totally don't do any effort play testing at all, part of it is totally not even live streamed where you get to see us before release to find issues and patch poo poo for next week.

I launch the Sengoku I bought if I want the Paradox game without any effort. ;)

I used to watch the dev streams, too, but when stuff that really should be obvious flies under the radar like that, I dunno, people are gonna say things like that, especially when they're an industry leader like Paradox is.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need to wait for an institution to tech up. Being two MIL techs behind a more powerful neighbor is a recipe for disaster.

You only really need to spend MIL when you need manpower desperately, and to tech up, so it's fine to burn extra points when you haven't embraced an institution, yeah.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah there are tons of things to spend MIL points on. MIL ideas of course, but also boosting professionalism, forced marches, boosting absolutism, artillery barrages, and just general development. Artillery barrages in particular are really great. In most of my games I almost always have MIL focus on all the time.

But even if there are plenty of things to spend MIL points on, you still shouldn't let yourself lag two whole levels behind your neighbors. Military parity is priority #1.

Boosting professionalism was the one I was referencing above, but I totally forgot you can boost absolutism with it too.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

So the next expansion will be about filling a new bar again... :rolleyes:

Mods..?!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Person posting "Stop blaming things on Paradox's DLC policy" followed by a dev posting "Yeah we can't do some optimal changes here because of the DLC policy" causing that poster to then argue with the dev is extremely good.

spectralent posted:

I have no idea how feasible it is but what about stealing the supply system from HOI for the purposes of determining how reinforcements get to you? That way if the reinforcements are routing through bad ground or overseas, it's a trickle, but if you're just sieging down a border province it's fine.

I sort of like this idea, but I think it requires a greater discussion of how manpower works in EU. Is recovery strictly fresh troops, or does it include recovered casualties? If so, what role should attrition play there? Etc. I wouldn't mind an overhaul of this sort of thing, but it's..sort of a can of worms.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe not actual supply lines, but something simple like lower replenishment and/or higher attrition for being more provinces away from home? Like, just simplify it down to a simple distance calculation, using only territory you have access through. So if the ottomans want to traverse all of russia and attack you in the baltic, it's going to cost them.

I wouldn't mind something akin to recruitment centers, supply depots, whatever - the further you get from one, the less/no reinforcement you get, so you prioritize capturing large cities or supply centers, denying them to the enemy causes them to take attrition, that sort of thing.

I'm a bit nervous about raw distance just because reinforcements to, say, India, shouldn't come as fast as to Bristol. But maybe this is just a lovely idea, it's not far from what's there now.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh, maybe it was already converted prior to getting the centre. As far as I'm aware Paradox haven't touched the reformation mechanics in a while

Chances are it got converted by a center which caused the country to convert which spawned a new center, yeah.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol, I always enjoy seeing Keiv pop from that one Ruthenian province on the far side of the Carpathians.

Why don't we take Kiev.. and push it somewhere else!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

How does the AI deal with the corruption penalty?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Linear Zoetrope posted:

If I have a broken brain and an odd desire to go for Najd Jihad, would that be a thing to do before the next patch since it sounds like there are some big state limit and Religious idea nerfs?

Yes.

I remember there being some talk about optimal patch versions for certain achievements, I wonder if that's floating around anywhere?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

uPen posted:

Military tradition is good, forts are good.

This dude gets it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

oddium posted:

i legit just do not know how to not blob anymore

looks like you're playing the Ottomans right, what's your question?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

Do you still get 100% warscore if you hold the objective for five years? You might be able to swipe Cyprus from the Mamluks (assuming you invested in a bunch of galleys), wait out the clock, then use the resulting warscore to snag Gaza, Jaffa, and maybe Jerusalem if it's not restricted since you haven't occupied any forts in the area.

It's 100% if you fully occupy the objective target, but not the objective. Meaning, if you fully occupy Cyprus and Cyprus is still independent, you get 100%, but if the Mamluks control it, you'll only get 25%.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

To be clear, I'm pretty safe right now since everyone else is too small to take me on and I have decent allies and vassals, but I can't do anything offensively.

Everyone else is too small to take you on? That's great, you can wait to annex them.

They allied to too many strong powers? You have a couple options.

1.) Identify weak ally/ally without other allies they have, declare on them instead.
2.) Wait until one of their allies fights a long war. This is boring, but guaranteed to work.
3.) Wait until you have favours with your allies, and then hell war hell WAR HELL WAR HELL WAR

you can also burn a bunch of mana in your own provinces to grow in the meantime for 2 and 3

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

If you have a really good monarch, you can get away with debasing your currency and getting rid of the corruption slowly (or not at all). Every 10 corruption is like having 5% less mana generation. Debasing your currency is sometimes a lot better than taking loans, because you aren't forced to pay to root out corruption immediately, which means that you can't fall into a debt spiral that way.

If you're not spending a ton, debasing is literally free money if you have decent passive corruption reduction.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Italy is getting trampled by elephants and it's all your fault Pope Gregorius. You god drat loving moron.

i guess he wasn't very...

gregarious

:cool:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Good work. Is it worth the tedium do you think? Are you planning on Three Mountains next?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

4000 hours, religion + core change is the dumbest thing I have ever seen Paradox do.

Needless to say, I am pissed about this. I will refrain from name calling. But I cannot believe Paradox would do this. INB4 banned forum access because I spoke up about this.

Very much hope you (paradox) stop trying to be PC police and stop attacking the religious/cultural aspects of this game.

Sorry this wasn't very nice. But I'm not feeling very nice. Have a nice day.

what does "political correctness" (LMAO) have to do with any of Paradox's loving mechanics changes? what the gently caress dude

EDIT: Aw heck this is from the Paradox forums isn't it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Ignoring Paradox forum whackiness, what do you guys think about Religious ideas letting you convert religion outside of states as one of its powers? Maybe you'd have to remove DV or something to compensate, but it could make Religious viable w/r/t Humanism again.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Another Person posted:

I could see AIs mutilating themselves with that. If you all really really want territory land to be convertible again, just give it a huge ticking modifier which gradually goes down, so you could convert non-state lands in like... 50-100 years.

If it were up to me, conversion would consider explicitly of forced emigration and depopulation, with minority religions depicted somehow, and the only actual possible changing of religions is to the various Reformation Faith's (including Sikh).

But it's not, and this idea seems fun.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Another Person posted:

if it is based on emigration and depopulation then I would think you need to model where those people are going to (unless you are committing a genocide which is another can of worms), and while a better simulation of reality, what that would end up as in a game is a bunch of pops being shuffled around constantly in a way which has very little control.

Why would they be shuffled around constantly? I mean, yes, it would be better gameplay even if they would, but you would either have e.g. Andalusian Muslims emigrating to Morocco, or Jewish persecutions causing fleeing to Poland and parts of Russia (and back and forth), which all seems ultimately correct.

The player's control can come from these decisions - whether to "convert" at all, whether to accept refugees, with pros and cons for each. Difficult and rewarding choices which shape your nation are good.

Another Person posted:

the great upside of the relatively simple conversion system in the game right now is that you, the player, feel like you have a great deal of control over your nation. most decisions in the game as it is right now are a decision is made, and then a thing happens totally, and the system you are proposing is a fair bit less controlled and more granular.

I'm okay with relinquishing some control to the game in return for the control I do have becoming far, far more rewarding. Things like e.g. a healthy humanist nation being represented with.. 124% religious unit :neutral: is not very rewarding, it's just a checkbox. And that's boring.

Another Person posted:

check out the Meiou and Taxes mod if you haven't already, which does similar things with economics and trading for this game. on one hand, it is a really cool simulation, but on the other the general lack of control in the hands of all players (both you and AI) makes it feel like your impact on the game is actually very limited. you can definitely enact change on the map and eventually become a staggering beast, but it ends up feeling less like a strategy game and more like a weird evolution simulator akin to Gridworld, where you are spending more time watching than actually playing.
I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't partially inspired by Dei Gratia, the mod for EU3 which really well modelled these minority religions and how they ebbed and flowed throughout society. I think MEIOU and Taxes' model was inspired similarly (could be wrong), but I gave up on that mod right around when I brought up making things too overpowered just because it rhymed with "The Schmoman Mempire" or "The Jyzantine Empire" and they just shrugged. (Also when I tried to run it on a computer with 16 GB RAM and got about 1 sec per day load times on speed 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

skasion posted:

Some nations are a bit too prone to reform into republics just at the moment. I’ve seen both AQ and QQ do it so it’s probably related to tribe starts.

that's pretty awesome though