Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm doing a Najd game and the Horde Allegiance gain seems pretty unbalanced. The first few wars I was pretty much constantly at 100 and the ability to make basically your forcelimit in Cav for 0 gold and 0 manpower was pretty ridiculous.

Now that i've expanded a bit I'm constantly on 0 Allegiance because even large wars only seem to get me 5-10 by the time they end since I'm losing ~5 a year. Does anyone know the formula they use to calculate the gain from battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SkySteak posted:

So I decided to hop back into Castille after not playing the game for a couple of years and wow the experience has dramatically changed for me. There are some things I am wondering about at this point (for reference I have Common Sense/Art of War/Cradle/Res Publica/El Darado):

1. It felt prudent, given Aragons rivalry to me, to ensure Portugal and France were allies, ensuring I didn't have to ever deal with them and to not get caught on a two front war. What was a massive issue however was having to deal with money problems from having replenish troops from those wars. Is this simply a matter of not picking allies who'll drag you into dumb poo poo or just staying relatively passive?

2. Is there any good general rule for when you want to tech up vs spend points on development/harsh treatment etc. This is something I've forgotten , particularly given the slew of updates.

3. I often find myself having one or two diplomats just lying around with nothing to do, after the initial construction of alliances and such. Is there anything good for them to always be doing?

4. It's always been a good idea to turn down troop/ship maint where possible but does this also apply to forts? I find myself mixed on this as I had a really bad run when it came to various rebels, meaning I was losing a lot of money but at the same time, having to keep troops and forts up.

1. Just join the war and then not actually do any fighting

2. You want to keep military up to date the rest you can save up for big neighbor bonus discounts

3. Fabricate claims or improve relations with people who might coalition you

4. Turn forts off unless you are about to go to war or there are nearby rebels at 90%

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

oddium posted:

remen has a video about professionalism and how it was a nerf to quantity, which he no longer usually takes first. large force limits are now a double edged sword...

People take quantity? first?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

oddium posted:

in my Rajput Reich run i was in a perpetual state of endgame wars, fielding and reinforcing ~220 units. never dipped below 60k manpower, never suffered a deficit from reinforcing because cheaper units means cheaper maintenance and reinforce cost.

quantity is good, to me

less does more with quality/offensive/mercs but you're going to run out of money or manpower or both

Its not that quantity is bad its just that that the other Mil idea groups are so good. I've been experimenting with going defensive as my first Mil group because the + morale is pretty bonkers.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Koramei posted:

interesting that drilling nerfs quantity though, I'd have thought it'd buff it since it gives you more of a manpower pool to fall back on.

Professionalism gain is based on the % of your force limit that you are drilling and the final idea in quantity gives your +50% max limit

Its not that big a deal because between events and hiring generals you can max out your professionalism without drilling as long as you don't go too crazy with mercs.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Node posted:

Does anyone have a decent strategy or guide for Gold Rush? I want to try that + I'll Graze My Horse Here... and Here.

I don't know how much harder or easier that may have become with the Russian Immersion Pack and CoC's changes to Islam.

Take the gold mine from Kazan ASAP and dev push it for Feudalism and insane amounts of ducats

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I think drilling would be a lot better if they just got rid of the zero morale thing, because that makes me want to never use it. Make it so that stationary armies are always drilling by default, but you can turn it off to reduce maintenance. Then also get rid of the maintenance slider.

The best use for drilling is to turn your maintenance to 0 and put 1 regular unit on drill with all your mercs to recover them for free

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

skasion posted:

Pretty sure you can’t do this, once the occupation is out of your hands you are at the mercy of the AI’s brilliant foreign policy thinktank.

Before the CoC you could transfer to your vassal and back to yourself all you wanted. I don't know if they changed it on purpose or if its a bug.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Trying for the Karaman -> Rum achievement and I've got a way better start than I could imagine. Ottomans picked their first war against Venice/Hungary and friends and got themselves 100 percented and forced to release basically every core they controlled, including my 4. So I allied Byzantium and waited for the Mamluks to declare on the Ottomans and dogpiled them. Of course the Mamluks are still worthless and peaced out after like a year for 1 province.

Byzantium and I destroyed the Ottoman navy so I trapped all their troops on the European side, let them force Byzantium out so I didn't have to give them any land and then took everything I could without causing a coalition of all the other Muslims around me.

Currently the Ottomans are -33% in a war against Wallachia and Crete :lol:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't take your eyes off the bastards. I reduced them to an OPM in my Polish game, took my eyes off the area for twenty years and suddenly they control all of Anatolia and the Levant again. You have to treat the Ottomans like Rome treated Carthage burn them to the loving ground and salt the soil, otherwise they're gonna be back to cause problems.

Oh they've been burned to the ground. The vultures kept nibbling more pieces off so it only took a 100% and a 10% war to finish them. Byzantium got mostly eaten by Venice so 1 war with them for Constantinople, 1 war with QQ for a Ezururum or whatever that province is and we're there.

Going to continue this one and go for Pasha in Paris

Edit: They gave Rum a very nice color

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 5, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What ideas should I choose?

Depends on what you are trying to do but Admin + Influence is always good and gives you the -20% diplo annex policy which is especially nice for Austria

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

I need some advice on how to devastate the Ottomans.

It's 1740s and I'm playing Venice. I have a huge Navy (because you can have infinite Light ships since they pay for themselves with "protect trade" in peacetime) so I control the Mediterranean. I don't have a lot of land in general and my army is pretty small. The Ottoman army is massive. I've managed to do well in a war by attacking them as they were in a war with Muscovy (they ended that pretty quick, sadly). On day one I landed troops on the provinces that connect the Middle East to Europe. Controlling at least one on each side plus the seaway has meant that I can just walk across while the horde of Ottomans has to walk the long way. So for the past (decade?) the Austrians and I have been occupying Constantinople and sieging down whichever side the Ottomans weren't on. Meanwhile, peasants and separatists keep rising up. The Ottoman's manpower is at 0, they seem to have a bunch of loans and they're bleeding out, basically. So things are going pretty well.

But! They still have a much, much larger army than me; Austria and Venice are both Low on war enthusiasm and I'm worried about Austria peacing out on me (they've done that before: negotiating for a separate peace loss in campaigns that we're clearly winning). It's an imperialist war, so provinces come cheap. Even when I'm super greedy on the sue for peace screen, the only people who might declare a Coalition against me are the Ottomans and what's left of the Mamluks. I have run up a 70% war score on them so I've got options but it's not total.

I have thought about :
- Taking Constantinople and the Alexandria Centers of Trade and just owning trade entirely in that arena to siphon off their income.
- Demanding 50% trade power transfer and 10% reparations to do the same.
- Taking Constantinople and surroundings for some trade benefits but mainly to set up 4 big forts so I can reproduce my crossing strategy much more easily next time.
- Taking lots of provinces for my allies.
- Releasing a bunch of places?
- White peace because I've read that this leaves them with higher unrest (I don't really know how this works) and let the peasants take them out?
- Pushing my luck and going for higher war score?

My goal here is to ultimately ruin the Ottomans. I don't need to rule them, I'm playing Venice as a tall trade empire. I don't really need money or land, we're doing very well in that regards. I just want to take them apart.

Take any land connection chokepoints like Constantinople and somewhere in the Levant. If you don't give them military access the AI has a hard time moving troops by ships to stop rebels and will probably lose a bunch of land to separatists

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Democrazy posted:

I’m in the middle of my Aragón game (thanks for helping out with institutions!), and I’m in the middle of a Humilate Rival war initiated by France and fought by everyone who had formed a coalition against me. I am winning handily, and to cripple my enemies as much as possible by raising their war exhaustion. However, I would also like to take one province from France, because it has an important fortress and completes a state. I don’t care about France’s revanchist eating into their war exhaustion, but will taking that province also incur revanchist in the other members of the coalition?

Also, will the coalition disband once the war is over?

Yeah anyone you have a truce with cannot be in a coalition against you. After the truce ends they can join back up if their AE is still high enough.

Also, if you are handily winning the coalition war you don't need to worry about crippling them and yourself with WE, just take all the land and money you can get and end it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

How do I Karaman? Any guides I find say to smother Ottomans with a web of alliances but I can't seem to be able to ally any of the big players - max improved relations, diplo rep advisor and one diplo rep mission reward, army built over force limit and Mamluks are still 10-15 points away to accepting a Royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Hungary/Poland even less so.

The only guys I can ally are the 2 beyliks next to me, Cyprus, and Candar. Maybe QQ sometimes. Just not at all enough to stand against OE once truce is over.

What am I missing?

Easiest way is to get really lucky with them getting wrecked by the Europeans in their first war.

If you aren't lucky you need to expand east and ally people who have a lot of troops even if they aren't immediately useful so you don't get DOW'd (Ajam, QQ, Great Horde). If you get instantly warned by Otto just restart because its not worth waiting 15 years.

Traxis posted:

I'm playing as Sweden for the first time, and I'm currently wrecking Denmark in an early independence war with the help of England/Scotland/Hungary. How much land should I take from Denmark? I declared right away so I don't have any claims. I could take all of Denmark's land on the peninsula without any coalitions forming but I wouldn't be able to accomplish anything else for quite a while. Is it a better idea to take fewer provinces so I can immediately attack the Teutons and Livonian order to get a foothold on the continent? Or vulture Novgorod after Muscovy is done with their first war?

Take it and go murder the orthodox guys because no one will care

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As Denmark, just PUd Russia. To integrate them I need 15 more provinces, but it's easy to keep liberty desire at 0% with a little development in Russian provinces.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jQmoyvl

I'm more impressed by that Fars and Malwa

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
After roughly a million hours I've finally started playing on Hard and its not as bad as I was expecting. Wars are only slightly more difficult and I actually like not being able to ally literally anyone who isn't your rival.

Started off trying the White Elephant achievement. Was really easy until the last 6 provinces I needed because Ming got mad enough to break my Tributary. Managed to fight them to 15% because tropical mountain forts are insane and declared the last 2 wars I needed right before white peacing.

Now I'm working on Luck of the Irish. Ate all the other Irish, then ate most of Scotland when England declared, then took London and the other English forts when they were getting murdered by War of the Roses rebels. Should be pretty simple from this point.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So you are going to have perma-claims on everyone on your mission list now?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Ibadi Constantinople thats a new one

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
In east africa you get the added bonus of dev pushing a gold province so you get to basically double your income at the same time

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So now that Ming can't Tribute absolutely everyone apparently they've found a new way to gently caress you

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I am playing as Yemen, with Ethiopia as my main rival. Ethiopia declares war on me, and I don't feel great about that because they have 30k soldiers, with 10k excess manpower. I have only 20k, with 20k excess manpower. We have technological parity.

At first I planned to just blockade the Red Sea, preventing them from hopping over, but I then realized that their only idea group was Religious, while I had Defensive, giving me a huge morale bonus over them.

This meant I felt comfortable baiting them into attacking me. I won the battle despite being outnumbered. I did this a couple of times until their manpower was completely depleted, and then occupied all of Ethiopia, and razed all the provinces I didn't plan to take in the peace deal. Ethiopia is now effectively done for and I have almost complete control of the Gulf of Aden trade node.

I actually managed to translate knowledge of game mechanics into results and feel good at the game. :shobon:

Be razing I'm assuming you mean scorched earth, unless somehow you made a horde Yemen. Don't worry about it in the future, its a waste of Mil points for almost no effect.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Wc isn't particularly difficult if you are doing op things like coptic ottoman. It's just an exercise in like 20-30 hours of clicking through tedious wars you cant possibly lose

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I am trying to convince myself to go for 1001 with my current Ottomans run; I doubt that I will ever try a WC. I think I'm doing alright in 1539:
Fezzan and Haasa are my allies; Crimea and Hisn Kayfa are marches; Hisn is Shaf'i so keeping them around gives me someone making better use of those Kurdish and Armenian provinces while also providing me with an extra Merchant for the rest of eternity.

I am about to attack Austria because history compels me to. Then I'll be jumping the Mamluks for more of Egypt. I already took Malta and got rid of those pesky Knights :getin:

Money isn't ever really an issue for the Ottomans, you are going to be way better off if you can grab the -10% AE than another merchant. Honestly you are probably better off with just the 50 adm than another merchant.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Hey I can finally see Europe, lets look at what I need to kill to get the Rajput Reich achievement........

Well, gently caress

The PU is Russia btw

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So I tag switched while I had a fort occupied by rebels and when I took it back it treated me as a hostile and gave me the devastation event on my own province :lol:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Have they said if the Rule Brittania thing is going to break saves?

I keep putting off finishing my Third Way run because I've reached the late game tedium stage of like 3-4 more wars with the Ottomans and then fighting the Europeans for the Sunni provinces they've stolen

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Poil posted:

Of course they do. And they get super special snowflake troops that are just plain better with no drawbacks. And they get all of Siberia for free. :rant:
(I am glad it's not sIberia anymore but gently caress those hairyasshats with all their bullshit powers for no reason)

They have a lot of troops but their national ideas suuuuuck for fighting. They are way easier than any of the other great powers, especially since don't tend to spam lvl 8 forts everywhere like Ming or the Europeans.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I hate the idea of drilling, since obviously armies would periodically drill without going into years-long drilling mode. I still haven't bought that DLC. Can you turn off that mechanic in the options?

There's no real reason to disable it since the only time its ever remotely productive to drill is if you have more money than you can spend, a low force limit, and too much AE to fight anyone.

Being able to buy manpower for 250 mil points is nice though.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Traxis posted:

What is a fun area to play in for the Ideas Guy achievement? I was thinking Malaysia but I'm not sure I want to have to deal with Ming tributary bullshit.

I combined it with the Zoroastrian one starting in East Africa. You can smash all your neighbors (except Kilwa) off the bat because they have a mil tech disadvantage and grab a bunch of goldmines to fund the rest of your wars.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Added mechanics are cool, I just wish they'd tackle some of the issues that have persisted since EU2, my first pdox game. Agreed with Beamed, assymetry would go a long way.

But like, just taking western Europe: Castile, England, and France are still monstrous superpowers from the start. I'd like mechanics that give them some difficulty to navigate. France should certainly be easy overall but it should have problems. At present, as always, France is basically as powerful as it was in the 18th century, but in 1444.

Even old janky mods managed it- like in AGCEEP if you wanted to start as "France" you actually had to start as the Dauphiné, take event choices to manage the burgundians, and reconquer the entire north of the country from England and from your dumbass crazy dad, all while wrangling your vassals. But even still, 15 years later, in EU4 France is a monster from the start even if they never ever touch any of England's continental holdings.

I don't see how different countries having different levels of difficulty is a problem. If you are finding France too easy then don't play France, theres like 100 different countries of various power levels in Europe alone.

If you are really craving that forming France experience though, you can pick them, release all the tags like orleans, bourbonaisse, etc, and then release and play as the one of your choice.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The biggest problem with India is the best strategy for any country is culture shifting and forming Mughals because Bharat and Hindustan don't give you cool NIs

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

James Garfield posted:

I like different levels of difficulty but it's annoying how certain aspects of the game get railroaded. I play in Central Asia a lot and every single game, Muscovy forms Russia in the late 1500s and conquers the steppes. I have never seen Muscovy fail to form Russia unless I started nearby and invaded them early (and one game where the Ottomans decided gently caress the Middle East and went north from Crimea instead). Even if Muscovy is supposed to be an easy nation, I would find it more interesting if they sometimes lost to the other Baltic nations, or if an AI horde that unified the steppe had any chance of stopping Russian expansion.

England is the same way except that the AI is terrible at fighting on the continent.

My point was for player countries, I completely agree that AIs (Ming/Otto/Muscovy) being unable to fail without player intervention is a serious issue. The big Euro countries all seem to get gangbanged to death by the HRE (or in the case of Spain by the North African Alliance) around 10-20% of the time which seems about right for game diversity.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The 25% ducat thing is their lazy fix for being able to peace out coalition wars on day 1 for just money.

Also, the 5 year modifier for being able to peace out allies is fine the way it is. Being able to win the war just because you 100% the goal is insanely exploitable

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 19, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Poil posted:

I thought the AI had a massive negative modifier against making peace for cash? "We would never betray our allies for gold" or similar. :confused:

It does but if you crank it up to 100% they'll accept

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure they changed that a while ago.

Nah you can still peace out any coalition for 100% in ducats

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How much money is that? Like, 100 individual clicks of the ducat button on the peace screen? That doesn't scale for the player like the AI I'm guessing?

It scales with your income but its capped at 10k, same as demanding ducats in wars.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Ugh the Wales color is just disgusting, I almost want to abandon this run already

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Any idea how I get Anglicanism to pop? I've got 100 problems and I'd like to reduce that number by at least 1.

Think its just a random chance of happening once the reformation branches out. As Catholic Wales it just popped up for me around 1500.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Thoughts so far.

The generic missions are super lovely and need some work.
Anglican is alright, seems a bit gimmicky but free money and stab is nice.
Innovativeness doesn't really do anything
The 5 loans limit is a pretty massive change since you are taking like 10 ducats off of natives instead of hundreds. Think its overall a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Also why in this patch where the big selling point is the new mission system would you make achievements for countries with the lovely generic missions.