Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A while back I got this game and decided to buy a few DLCs that were on sale on HB

Jesus loving christ is playing the game without all of them schizophrenic. Why is giving vassals land tied behind the Cossacks, the only one not on sale, of all things? Same with colonial stances. Before I got, one of them, I couldn't develop land but without developing you couldn't develop to get institutions so you were turbofucked if you weren't in Europe, because all of them spawn there pretty much.

The game is also way less ahistorical than CK2. Apparently there's lucky nations that always are the same? What the gently caress.

Also it's loving bullshit that Andalusia has a thriving colonial empire and then dipshit OPM Portugal gets Colonialism just because. I got so mad at that I just broke truce to take them and uhhh, then got pummeled into the ground

also sitting with a drat ole guide next to me to go through the arcane poo poo that is the combat is a mixed blessing after ck2

At least it isn't just "slam more mans into them = victory" I suppose

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
All the DLC except the Cossacks is on sale right now on Humble Bundle

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why do my vassals hate me for letting them go? Why are vassals so incredibly gimped? Why can't I let them wage their own wars?

So many questions

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

You’re their rightful lord and are responsible for their safety. You can’t just be like “lol not my problem, bye bitch” and give them a kick on the rear end, or they will feel abandoned and salty (not to mention diplomatically isolated and vulnerable). The point of vassals is essentially that you can use them to dodge admin power coring costs by giving them the territory you conquer and later annexing them. They pay the admin cost and core the territory, and you pay later in diplo power instead. They can’t wage their own wars because they have no right to conduct their own foreign policy, if they do it’s because they’re intriguing with your enemies to break free of your suzerainty. Wage war on their behalf, instead, and reap the benefit.

e: if you want them to be a bit more useful in a fight, you can make them a march, which gives them some military bonuses to help them punch above their weight and slightly changes how you can interact with them. It still won’t let them make war on their own though, and you will need to switch them back to a regular vassal (pissing them off) when you want to annex them.
A very strange attitude to have towards a vassal state, but I guess I gotta learn and adapt. So basically they're a way to get claims and exchange admin for dip, with anything else being gravy?

Senor Dog posted:

Because this isn't crusader kings 2
This is horribly true yeah. Fighting entirely with retinues is strange and not just having to set up others to fight for me is tough. All the enemy army info being in different, harder to find places is kinda tiresome too; why the army ledger doesn't have "neighbours" is beyond me. And then I have to cross-reference them, their allies, consider force limit, nyeh.

I also keep going broke and running out of manpower but I hear this is normal when starting out. Does make war a bit more serious.

I also gotta admit I do not enjoy boatfighting in the least. I keep forgetting to build more and leave the ones I have to die. (I know to mark them to return to port at war NOW, mind you.)

I still think it's odd I can't gradually give them independence though or downgrade them into protectorates or something. I'd to want to at least set them free with a guarantee...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Did anyone do

Manns Best Friend: As Mann, Control only the Isle of Man and the Canary Islands

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
These missions seem pretty funny at times tbh

Why does a mission to help me with loans give me less interest after I get less than one? I'm struggling with the interest now, not when I only have one left!

Or do they trigger events to help you with it, like ambitions in CK2?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Is there much of a difference between Spain and Castille?

Playing as the latter and I'm eyeing up forming it in the future but the whole peninsula is Catholic and "No province owner can be in the Muslim culture group" or whatever is still crossed out?

Groogy posted:

It's sort of soft, we delay it with an hour every time someone uses the term "cuck"
So yeah quite hard. :cheeky:
This would be a great 'chan post: "Swedish dev admits cucking makes things hard on American website"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Check the canary islands, or madeira, or the other islands.
It turned out I had to make Granada a full core

Which reminds me: My miltech is now almost double that of my dip and admin tech, due to rampant conquests and my lust for vassals

Even with neighbour bonuses, I'm worried about catching up. I'm focusing admin, but is there anything I can do other than just wait and hope?

Btw, seriously regretting Fez; I don't have whatever DLC lets you give provinces to your vassals and me giving them vast amounts of land did gently caress all for their liberty desire and now France is backing them, the loving cads.

I am basically Castille that got the, Iberian Wedding and my sole ally is Austria that got the Netherlands. Could we take on France?

(Btw, having to enter the ledger to compare/contrast army sizes is super irritating. Why isn't that info there in the dip screen like in CK2 or Stellaris?)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I heard that that France starts swole and only gets swoler; we're still at miltech 7 and so I thought it would be nice to get the entire peninsula and maybe shake a few minors out of them for the hell of it

Truth be told, I'd rather ally them and dunk England together but alas, both of them rivaled me so that's that.

What's a good first idea? I vassalized Portugal to get them to start colonization for me, though I'm probably gonna have to feed them more of Morrocco first before they really get that going. Any other things I should be doing?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
it turns out that france was lucky and the only way to find this out is looking at fort strength???

this war is not going to go well and England, the cowards, didn't try and dogpile them with me

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Any hints as Ethiopia? I took defensive/exploration, defender of the faith and have achieved regional superiority aside from with the Mamluks, who have basically double my force limit and much larger (i.e. any) allies.

I have Alodia in a lesser Union and have been feeding it the wrong culture to my north, while Makuria is an ally that I feel is increasingly useless but I worry the moment I let them go the Mamluks will eat them.

Yemen and the rest are on the verge of a coalition but aside from the Mamluks absorbing their vassals there's no bigger players than me there. I'm on par/exceed everyone in miltech, lag in admin and dip

Should I just keep going south to get the gold mines and try and grab the Cape before the Europeans get there solidly or should I head as quick as I can to the spice islands? Should I keep my trade capital in the Ethopia node or move it as soon as I have decent power elsewhere I can feed into?

Any particular hints? I picked discipline and missionary strength as my two Coptic powers, was that a mistake? Can I switch them out?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Arright, when I saw the Mamluks looking half green, I slammed my way in. Managed to get all the way to Alexandria and cut off the Ottoman but he seems to have mostly wanted stuff near my other target in Antioch.

Not looking forward to that, tbh, and meanwhile Kilwa has grabbed the gold that rightly belonged to me. Taking them out is just a matter of finding a way to fabricate on them or maybe just attack their allies and make them co-belligerent?

Dirk the Average posted:

How on earth is a new player supposed to come in and understand how the game works?
It ain't simple I tell you hwat

This is after watching a shitload of streams and playing other Paradox games.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why are my boats so retarded? I'm so used to the boats in CK2 just being "load your fuckers into a boat, or put it in the middle then chain your morons through them" that this mess is infuriating

Yes, leave the loving general behind and only load the horses first, five at a time, when you have 6 transports. This is a great plan!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Xinder posted:

I lost an OPM desperation war earlier today and had to restart because I forgot that the general won't go with the first boats for some reason.

And then you can't assign them in a boat ~because of reasons or whatever~

Completely loving idiocy.

AnoHito posted:

It's even more insane that this is after they already fixed it. It used to be even worse.
Botes were a hassle in CK2 but it's still slightly more tolerable

The fact that the bote combat poo poo is also pretty much the same as CK2 combat: "just slam more mans" is pretty helpful, tho I have no idea what heavies do, I just try to have more than the other guy and spam galleys when it says its better there

Also what the heck can I do about inflation? Is it just take economic/the advisor or pay it down? Because it's third idea time for Ethiopia and I was thinking humanism would probably be good so I can just keep conquering without having to deal with all these dang revolts but I'm only two more wars away from 3 more gold mines and a few years away from coring 2 more

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Agean90 posted:

I want a random old world mode. Like you know someones gonna show up but you have no idea what they will be like and from what direction
Yeah, I keep playing random dev/lucky/new world and it's nice, though I feel like it kinda makes Russia OP because they seem to always grab more dev that way

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh. I turned off random new world and spawn fantasy new world and Australia is still there

What gives? Is this a known bug?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Australia is in the "Old World" hemisphere and stays.

Unfortunately.
What????

I didn't realize that Paradox were Australia truthers, this is absurd. Do they also believe in Atlantis and Mu???

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, this is complete loving crock of poo poo: I am the sole loving nation in THE WORLD as far as I know with a real colonial nation (thanks random new world) but because my capital isn't coastal I not only did not spawn the institution, I am not getting any growth of it at all!

This is such utter loving bullshit! The goddamn printing press has just spawned and I'm gonna lag even further behind now because some retard thinks Colonialism can't happen if your capital doesn't happen to be next to the Ocean! Well known non-Colonial Empire France wouldn't get it except that all the Europeans get it ~just because~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Prav posted:

you could always, uh, move your capital

maybe even to the coast
Does that even work? I'm reading the wiki and it looks it means that I have to have it embraced and it's my colonies that get it?

Jesus gently caress, time to suck up to the Ottomans and wait for it to spread that way I guess

skasion posted:

Just develop for it at that point. Yeah you’re blowing a load of MP on it, but it’s just gonna be wasted on tech penalty otherwise.
I've been blowing my points on conquering, ugghhh.

I guess I can find some spots of lands that aren't horrible and try and develop them

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my god are you kidding me?

Australia doesn't count?????

Welp, time to Holy war a buncha new world fuckers to get a quick New World nation then!

Also I don't have Cossacks because it wasn't on sale in the Humble Store so don't have estates or uhh, whatever gives edicts. That's the China one?

I watched a video by Reman about maximizing this poo poo a while back but yeah, I'm probably gonna do it in Egypt or something; don't have a lot of Farmlands or Cloth provinces

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:
Does the pope have naval ideas?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, are you telling me that I can't ask for land AND give up land in a deal??

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel like almost all the random new worlds are way, way smaller than the regular OG one, is this just wrong or what?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I'm not sure if they're strictly smaller, but I always just seem to get unimpressive chains of small islands. I feel like the tile set could really use more continents. You know, so it feels more like a new world and less like just more ocean.
Yeah, I've once gotten the world-tree and the Obsidian empire and Vinland is just pathetic because there's no-one around to conquer.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
For colonization, I feel like a lot of the micro would be solved by simply changing colonization from a province level to a state level.

You could have it gradual, so you'd first get the province you targeted, but when it reached, like, the half or three quarters mark, it would start leaking into other provinces in the state. Even if it was just "target each province in a state before asking me to move the fuckers" it would still be better than the current one, except if you want to target all the coastline to lock out others I GUESS

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

double nine posted:

man I'm watching DDRjake's unlucky lucca and his growth despite the many setbacks make my playstyle look all the less competent. I really need to learn how to wage war like him
I really liked how his no CB war on Egypt ended up better than my regular ones, with allies and CBs usually do

What I really don't like is that he keeps referencing Rance, which is uhhhhhhh

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, if I give my vassal lands that I border but they do not, can they core it? I feel like feeding my pet Blackfeet a buncha other natives but I don't have whatever DLC lets you give them land and I don't feel like losing 10 prestige a pop just to connect the lands

edit: nevermind, it actually tells me when I try it! Now, if only I knew why it won't let them core~

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm going for Ideas guy and I'm wondering where to play. I thought it might be fun to go North American and then pick Siberian frontiers as one of my ideas/traditions, but then wondered if I could combine that with Sunset Invasion, but didn't someone mention problems with reforming the religion if you picked a higher tech group?

Also what's the deal with High American? Is it better than Western?

Also, Ironman requiring Historical Lucky Nations is utter garbage. They loving suck; why not let it be random or none?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why the gently caress do the reforms only work with the mesoamerican tech group

why would you do that? why the heck would you not let the high americans do it too?

Also it's incredibly irritating to try and reform as them when everyone and their mom allies right away and no-one wants to ally me because I'm a filthy Nahuatl, but if I try and grow I get hosed over by doom super fast

What even happens if it fills up completely?

Also it's great when the AI declares humilations on me and then I get a loving truce on them! I almost, almost miss the system as it is in CK2 where if you were the defender you had not truce against the aggressor (no not really but not being able to declare multiple wars, instantly and at game start is pretty irritating too)

And I can't vassalize that way. There's something disturbingly idiotic about protective humiliation wars

Ok, so what are the tricks here, other than just abandoning Nahuatl and going back to Sikhism/Shinto? Is Inti worth a drat?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh yiss, finally got the drat Nahuatl campaign rolling, the trick ended up picking infantry combat ability as the other tradition, then Prussian Monarchy and pimping out my monarch so that they have both morale and discipline while never, ever making them a general.

Then just pumping up that militarization. I can't create a vassal with this government type right?

How the heck you're supposed to do this legit is beyond me and I'm already worried what will happen when the Europeans arrive, but what the hell right?

Louisiana is now the Swampy Jewel of the World, while I wrap up the last of the N-Americans before heading downwards. That may be a mistake, tbh, but making my name bigger is so satisfying and each lil conquest opens up more places to plop down Frontier Outposts before I get the tech from reforming.

I should probably start warring the other Centro-Americans though, if only to get some real development. As a ~Primitive~ I don't get full gold from mines right?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

I can say from really good authority, there isn't :colbert:

Why aren't you joining the Kaiser side in the dev MP

Also, how do I stop my vassals from being Native councils? will converting their lands to Nahuatl, then releasing, be enough?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

the Mann achievement ended up being own all the islands as mann
That's dumb as heck, because everyone knows no Mann is an island

no wait it was nobody is an island, poo poo, my Scottish Britpop references are useless!

Also in my Nahuatl game, it turns out that Spain ate Portugal, while France is eating England.

There's every chance I might have to reform off of Norway at this rate...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I had no idea the East Coast had all the good development. Makes me feel sorta dumb for going for the West.

How the hell are you supposed to defend America anyway? The whole thing is super huge and micro-ing armies is somehow even worse than in CK2, where armies seemingly slide along randomly and you can't just order your armies to follow an enemy one.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

have you made forts?
Yeah, but they add up super quick; that just stops them from getting my capital/Centro American holdings, leaving the rest of the continent up for grabs

I guess I should be using them more proactively against my enemies, but money is weirdly tight considering that I control most of N-America centered on the middle

Also goddammit Trade War supplanting Flower War! Fuuuuccckkkk

Also why doesn't the "Don't declare a war doofus, you have a truce with these fuckers" just tell you when it runs out there, like in CK2?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I think there's a message setting you can change to do that. It pops up for me at least.
Ah, I mean on the war dec itself, rather than up there. I guess it is there, with the truce timers

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's 1536 and no Europeans have shown up in America yet. Shouldn't they be here by now? I want to reform Iroquois, dammit.
1547 and England has just landed

in the Caribbean. And after cheating a bit and checking the world while on the loading screen, it looks like Denmark absorbed Norway before they could get exploration and Spain loving over Portugal and absorbing Morocco means that it's unlikely anyone else will join. France is in Sierra Leone. There is a genuine chance that if I handle poo poo right, I might be able to beat them to the Spice Islands

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Pretty sure when you attempt to declare way there's a red like -5 stab breaking truce.

edit: oh nm. yeah it should also show when the truce is over but doesn't
Tbh I don't terribly care; I reeeaallly shoulda started invading the Centro-Americans earlier and going east and not west

I just wanted to go back to Lakewood :(

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, speaking as someone who just came from CK2, it felt really weird that I could just demand all the gold from all of my enemies most of the time, especially when war reps were already in. Like, keeping a lil country around as a piggybank to hit over every now and then was strange and unrealistic

Also really hoping for a sale and that their website works this time or that the sale extends to HB

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Soooo tempted to actually catch up completely on DLC here, but the only thing Britain is good for is being invaded

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, what the hell, where is my Flower War CB against the N-American minors????

edit: ahaha my preset Nahuatl minor suddenly changed to Inti, false alarm

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Man you have way more faith in people than I do because I just assumed that the largest part of the playerbase is English-speaking and white and they want to play the most powerful country that lets them fufil some kind of ethnonationalist power fantasy.

I have literally never played a single game starting in Europe west of the HRE (other than Burgundy) so I guess my brain is broken in the other direction.
No, same here: one of the things I dig to hell is the fact that you can go a lot further afield in EUIV than CK2. The closest to Britain I played for long was trying to invade Britain as vikings, which is playing as home so it doesn't count.

Like, all my last games have been various attempts at glorious murder against Europe. It is, btw, deeply irritating how central Europe is to the whole shebang.

I would pay big loving bucks for premade alternative setups, alternative institutions or something like that, that would still be Ironman compatable.