Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, I thought getting the Habsburg guy would put Austria under me. I vaguely recalled that if Hungary is the player, the PU is reversed. Isn't that also how it works with Castile and Aragon?

I'll restart and take the option to stay independent, but I'm wondering if this means that Austria will hate me forever. :ohdear:

I played a quick Hungary to Croatia run before the new DLC to grab the Krabater achievement and the only option to stay independent does make Austria slightly pissed at you but if you're allied they won't drop the alliance or anything. Just don't count on them to actually come to your aid in wars though, they are quite perfidious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Poil posted:

The Mamluk government is getting a bit annoying with how it resets my legitimacy to 20 everytime the ruler dies and the new guy takes over. But at least the replacement is young and has +2 admin. I'm not really missing heirs or consorts that much (even though it makes the Sunni bonuses completely worthless).
edit My fourth ruler didn't tank my legitimacy, for some reason. :confused:

Your legitimacy varies based on which successor you pick. The Circassian option gives 100 legitimacy and 15 army tradition.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, then it sounds like Mamluks without the DLC suck balls. With the DLC they are super powerful.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Last night before I quit I noticed I was suddenly hemorrhaging money as Vijayanagar and couldn't figure out why. I had just conquered a bunch of land so I figured maybe it was some unrest or war exhaustion or corruption or something but then I found the culprit. My trade income was suddenly 0 ducats a month.

Is this a bug anyone else has run into this patch? I'm hoping when I boot it up tonight the problem has resolved itself.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Robot Dog posted:

Same thing happened to me, I think after one of the missions that moves your capital.

Ahhh that explains it, I decided to move my capital after taking Bahmanis' because the dev cost was lower so I could seed an institution later.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

quote:

- Vijayanagari mission 'Divert Trade from Bengal' will not only upgrade CoT's to level 2.

I assume they mean "now" and not "not" because I just did this to get the Fine Financials achievement and it definitely upgraded all of the CoTs to level 3 after I upgraded them to level 2 myself.

This is the first time I've ever discovered on my own and used an exploit to get an achievement before it gets immediately patched out. Get your 8 level 3 centers of trade while they're hot!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Do the portraits when the game loads have heads? I play on an ultra wide monitor and have never seen them because they cut off.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I tried playing this game for the first time just now. I picked France because they seemed powerful and I screwed around for a little while with no clue what I was doing. Then I declared war on the English to try to kick them off the continent but failed spectacularly in doing so.

I might have to start somewhere else I guess. :ohdear:

Don't declare on England yourself, the Surrender of Maine event will fire and either you get free land or it'll trigger a war where they can't call any allies that's significantly easier.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Everyone talking about their issues with the way the Americas are modeled inspired me to go back and do some work on a native overhaul mod that I had barely started. First item on the list is simply filling the Americas entirely with First Nations, and renaming certain tribes so they aren't called by their exonyms (like my people, both Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy are exonyms, we call ourselves the Kanienkehaka of the Haudenosaunee). Then I'll have to better model some of the culture groups and add some others that don't exist.

My ultimate goal is to accurately portray the effects of disease on the native population, possibly by increasing starting dev in the Americas and scripting events that can decimate it after first contact, including completely depopulating provinces that lose enough dev. Another thought would be to have events that empty manpower pools or something of that nature.

Anyways, that's all in the very distant future if I ever get to it at all. Here's what I've done so far, if people are interested it may help to keep my motivation up.

Also does anyone know of a way to mod out the need for European contact to reform and/or embrace Feudalism?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Even with the diseases, like half of the tribes that people think of as plains tribes were refugees from the Beaver Wars after my people went HAM on the Great Lakes and Midwest. Guns are a hell of a drug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Wars

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It boggles my mind that I grew up in eastern PA and had no idea this was a thing.

Ideally I'd like to add some missions or events for the Beaver Wars, and create some of the other confederacies as tags or unions that arose in response to them. It makes things sort of hard to model in my mod, because you have things like the Cheyenne, Fox, and Osage moving from the Ohio Valley to the plains, while the tribes between wouldn't necessarily be displaced as well, but I don't necessarily want to start them at their final location. Also it wouldn't really feel fair when you beat the snot out of another tribe and they pop up with new land and end up stronger than before.

There's not really a way to model a migration like that, and the current migration mechanics have no real bearing on reality. They never really made sense to me, it's not like a tribe would wander aimlessly if they did at all. They would maybe have seasonal hunting and fishing locations but they'd return to the same spots. Why are the steppe hordes always in control of their provinces even though they had similar migratory patterns to graze their horses?

Edit: Also in case anyone is interested, here's a map that shows the overlapping traditional lands of all of the tribes in the Americas and Oceania. https://native-land.ca/

Gravity Cant Apple fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 7, 2020

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah that's definitely another problem that I'm going to have to deal with at some point, though to be fair that describes how people think of a lot of tribes when that wasn't really their society before European diseases hit. It's just that the Amazon is a lot harder to access so it was easier for those "uncontacted" tribes to not get rounded up and sent to Oklahoma. Now with new advancements in laser imaging they're seeing just how much of this jungle was actually heavily populated at one time.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Since I've made it to the Mississippi and a little beyond, I figured I'd show off some progress on my mod to try and keep myself accountable. Some provinces don't really follow the shape of the borders between tribes, and there can be significant overlap, so some border gore is unavoidable.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah I figured there probably wasn't a lot of thought put into the names lists, but I definitely don't have the time to do the research to fix them. If anyone has any specific suggestions I'd be more than happy to implement them. Also I'm going to need a whole lot of flags. Is there a flag generator hiding somewhere around the internet or will I just have to throw a bunch of poo poo together myself?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

I forgot that native americans literally can't reform and progress into a non-trashbin state of government or do any institutions until a colonizer comes over and gives them a hug.

lmao.

I'm trying to find the place to fix this in my Natives overhaul mod. I was able to get feudalism to tick up slowly in capital provinces by commenting out part of a modifier, but they still can't embrace it even when it's present until they reform, and they can't reform until a neighbor embraces it.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Roadie posted:

A comedy-yet-possibly-useful thought here: "Plague" as an Institution that starts out already established in the Eurasian countries but at 0 in the Americas, and that's purely negative, with development-destroying events that pop up at certain breakpoints as it advances. That way you get to piggyback off the mechanics for spread from neighbor to neighbor, especially if you put the advancement rate really high compared to the other institutions.

That's actually a decent idea, when I get to that part I'll have to see how feasible it is versus any of the other possible ways.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Gotta take exploration ideas now to see how horse archers fare against emus.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

If you do this you should also culture shift to a Scandinavian culture, that way you're pirates, vikings, and knights

Needs ninjas in there somewhere.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

i really, really hope that when eu5 eventually comes out, that it has a more accurate and less racist depiction of native american societies

I'm in the process of creating a mod to do just that. I've finished filling North America with tags for native nations using their endonyms. Currently trying to implement infectious disease mechanics to model the massive depopulation after European contact.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I can dig it. One of the big things I'd like them to work on is specifically how they represent native society - the idea that all natives were essentially either migratory or tribal monarchies just isn't borne out by literally any research.

Yeah after I get the mechanics working next up is adding new cultures and then maybe I'll see about creating new idea sets and governments. Have to fill out South America at some point, too.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

zedar posted:

How does colonisation work in this kind of map? Do you just have to ship over an army and conquer your way across north america? It feels like you'd also need to redesign / restructure the exploration / expansion idea groups.

Ideally after first contact, disease will spread across the continent, and anywhere that gets hit particularly badly will become a depopulated province that can then be colonized. The major problem I'm running into now is I can't find a mechanic to allow a province to revert to having no owner after it has a city on it.

Mooseontheloose posted:

What are the New England tribes, I couldn't read them.

Yeah the provinces there are pretty small and by the time you zoom in enough to read them it switches over to province names. They are:

Haudenosaunee, Muhhekunneew, Nipmuc, Quinnipiac, Pequot, Narraganset, Wampanoag, Massachusett, Abenaki, Kennebec, Panawahpskek, Passamaquoddy, Welastekwewiyik, and Mikmaq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

AnoHito posted:

make them cede it to a tag that doesn't exist. For example, "cede_province = NONE" should work

I was trying to cede it to the default natives (NAT) tag and that wasn't working. I'll try this when I get home, thanks!

Edit: This did indeed work, so that's one roadblock taken care of.

Gravity Cant Apple fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2020