Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah EU4 combat is fine.

You generally know what you need to win and can min max if you want so it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man the Byz start is so much harder now because the AI fills its relationship slots up super quick.

Meaning I can't get the allies I need to do anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just pull them into a piddly easy war then declare war on the countries that they are guaranteeing.

Though unless it’s changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

So keep both Wars going until you can end both.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone feels that way at first.

I felt that way when I first bought 3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I really don't think paradox tried to put out a message of a game so they could spend years trying to fix it. It's far easier to believe that there wasn't a strong enough vision of the final product and the lead didn't reign in all the features that his designers kept designing.

Crusader Kings was a mess, but ckII managed to fix things and become quite the game. I have no doing that paradox can put out a good Stellaris 2 but they're going to have to throw out ninety percent of the first game to do it.

Stellaris 1 is a good game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It is!

It’s launch was really bad but it’s easily top three paradox games now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

nah, they've made lots of good smart changes, but they still haven't fixed the awful grind of starbase & tile development

Nah it’s good, flawed but so are they all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The nobles of the country would declare war on the nobles of the other country

Am I the only one who thinks EUs 2 and 3 are better than 4 at this point?

100% fewer mana bars

100% fewer expansions that add features seemingly unrelated to the theme of the expansion

100% fewer costing a thousand dollars to get game w/expansions

And frankly 100% more fun.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair trade companies being for only Euros is bad game design even if you can game the system.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

As Byzantium I went to war with my ally Russia against the Mamluks. Spent most of the war wondering where the Mamluk armies were, because they mounted very little resistance. Eventually I zoomed out and discovered they'd marched to the east coast of Russia and spent the whole war sieging Russia's worthless eastern provinces.

The Mamluks did not win that war.

I have never had the AI do something like this.

Not saying it doesn’t happen but why can’t I get the dumbass AI.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Azhais posted:

depends on the achievement. trying to get three mountains done without a little savescumming is a recipe for an ulcer

Certain achievements do require a little luck early on so yeah save scumming is basically the same as starting over but it saves you a bit of time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

oddium posted:

my question is, what

The Heir they are talking about is actually the sultan, as they talk about a regency council. It still doesn’t make sense because he is of legal age.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm guessing you haven't tried to sail against Great Britain before. There's a tiny problem of the vast navy they tend to accumulate at that point which prevents landings.

They aren’t serious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Austria and Venice have split the balkans and Greece it would seem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AG3 posted:

I'm the weirdo who picks Espionage sometimes purely for RP reasons.

I mean unless your playing MP picking the most efficient ideas isn’t really necessary

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be honest I didn’t have much issue learning EU3 but starting in terrain mode made me think it was more complex then it turned out to be. Then after playing it I quickly figured out it’s rather simple

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BBJoey posted:

A lot of the complexity in Paradox games is honestly due to bad design exacerbated by feature creep in DLC. Take the EU4 combat system. On its face, an army is a mix of infantry, cavalry and artillery, easy enough. Now for modifiers: you have discipline, army morale, morale bonus, combat ability, professionalism, shock and fire bonuses (to attack and/or defence), flanking distance, combat width, tactics, terrain, generals. Remember that generals’ maneuver doesn’t affect combat except when crossing a river sometimes. Oh and also your units have their own shock and fire “pips”, and your available unit types are determined by your tech family, and you’ll often have a few to choose from. Oh and also also fire is useless early game due to a low modifier until you tech up. Oh and also also also some countries and/or cultures have special unique units, some of which have trade offs and some of which are straight upgrades (good luck finding the options to raise them if you’re not explicitly looking for them). Additional to this is the strategic layer of morale recovery, reinforcement, mercenaries, attrition, maintenance, drilling, force limits, manpower and sieges.

The sheer number of modifiers going on renders the system completely opaque to the new player, but the volume of numbers doesn’t actually add meaningful complexity to the game.

That doesn’t sound like bad design but complexity which is fine. It’s also a system you don’t have to engage with unless your playing multi with min maxers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean paradox fans are kind of impossible to please, especially here

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Westernization was weird as their was basically no benefits until you finished while the journey basically stopped your game in its tracks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BBJoey posted:

More numbers does not a more complex system make, especially when as you say it’s not necessary to engage to any particular depth with combat mechanics to succeed.

It’s the same issue that the HoI3 OoB system had - in theory designing a complete organisational structure from theatre to division level adds significant complexity compared to grouping 9 infantry divisions and throwing a general on them, but in practice it’s just a two hour hassle at the start of every game that gives diminishing returns and alienates new players.

More numbers does in fact make it more complex, and needing to engage is irrelevant. Most complex systems only really exist for those that want to engage them and for more casual fans it’s better that way.

Making complex necessary would be a terrible idea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

The best part will be how angry everyone will be when they gut and reboot some of these mechanics for EU5. :keke:

Nah it’s gonna be mostly the same as EU4.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly diseases and populations aren’t really a thing in EU.

Though I don’t know why you would care if the Aztecs are viable. This is a game not a simulator. It literally never goes on the rails so I don’t know why the Aztecs have to be on the rails.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

As long as disease and local populations rebelling and supporting others aren’t a thing I don’t think they should even try really

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Army automation is something players will try for a bit, realize it’s kind of poo poo and then never use again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It works absolutely great when you have a really strong vassal or HRE swarm in EU4 currently :confused:

It's really strange that "let the AI do the same dumb crap it does for non player tags" is some super advanced thing to be heavily considered. You can, of course, not use it if you don't want it.

A Vassal whose manpower you don’t give a poo poo about is a lot different than wasting your own resources.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh the only time I deal with rebels as a problem they are inevitable but slowing them down doesn’t really help. Hell most of the time just getting them out and done with for the time is better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The inheriting mechanic is fine as is.

The game is an abstraction, nothing follows how it did historically and realistically it never can.

Shoe horning mechanics that the game isn’t built to deal with into it isn’t going to help that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BBJoey posted:

they shouldn't change the game's mechanics because it isn't built to deal with those mechanics because they shouldn't change the game's mechanics because

Basically yeah, tho if they did do it people would complain about feature bloat.

Luckily they never wil as Dynasties are not the point and adding dynasty mechanics would just make it low rent CK2.

If they want to make historical unions just give them missions. Boom problem solved easily

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem is a simple family tree doesn’t change the dynamics that much. I feel dynasty simulation is a thing you either go all in on or leave as abstract as possible. Anything else just isn’t going to do enough to make you care

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s mean way not to engage what I said at all but I don’t know what I expected from you.

This is like most the ideas in these types of threads, they sound cool when they are vague concepts but if you actually implement them the player base would hate them.

I mean it’s all theories as this will never be implemented but still

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Carpet sieving will be a thing in EU5 I feel that’s pretty likely

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You play Europa Universalis?

Name every country

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean people still seem to enjoy it and frankly wacky things happening is one of the games biggest selling points. I don’t care for that stuff but it is what it is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

And it will continue to increase as that’s just what the game is now.

Though event making probably doesn’t have much to do with whatever issue your talking about

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 5, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I certainly only like the actual map. The UIs in the 2D games were, uh, well,

not great

I don’t even like the map. It’s to bright. It looks like a kids coloring book

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think the subscription service is more useful to players who come in later rather than people who buy the DLC piecemeal as they come out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hi I of it like console online stuff.

Like you get free games from PSN but they can revoke it once you stop paying

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I actually like defender of the faith in a Byz game as it basically turns Italy into a battleground between you and Spain and building alliances to fight them is something I actually like doing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m pretty sure all of the big three strategy producers do this depending though it varies update to update and what exactly is added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Who are your big three? I've been playing a lot of Total War lately and Creative Assembly seems to be sticking to the stuff you pay for is content/flavor (for 3K its faction-specific units and mechanics) while all QoL features get baked into the base game.

Creative assembly and the Civ guys have done it yes, which as far as I can tell neither fan base seem to care all that much about it.