Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Sooo I'm doing a game as Aragon and everything is fine and dandy, except for the fact that the burgundian inheritance triggered and castile got the netherlands. Which mean that they now have too many provinces for me to form spain diplomatically. Is there any way to deal with that or am I going to have to annex them the old fashioned way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Mghghh, I guess that would work, thanks.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I know, it's why I rarely play Ironman. Do France and the Ottomans of all countries really need a boost? Well, I guess France often gets wrecked in my games with this patch.

I think the idea was to make sure that historically successful nations become buff in-game. Also after you become familiar with the systems of the game and know how to use them properly, you don't really notice the lucky nation boost anymore. Maybe with the exception of harder starts I guess.

Byzantium:argh:

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
One of the changes in the upcoming dlc I'm looking forward to is the addition of Galipoli that will cut off Edirne from the sea. Should make the old strait blocking strategy as Byzantium a lot more doable. Maybe I'll finally be able to get the achievement this time around.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Do we know when centers of revolution are supposed to start spawning? I want to do the Napoleon's Ambition achievement and it's almost 1750 and nothing's happened yet.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
100 absolutism. I'm France if it helps.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Yeah I think I might wait for a fix for the HRE. All of Italy has joined ( the papal states conquered the south and joined) and all of eastern Europe up to Muscovy is also part of the empire. Autria is mega-swole ( annexed hungary , all of Burgundy, tore the Ottomans apart, has Bohemia as a PU) and is utterly unassailable.

And it's only like 1540.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
well gently caress, didn't expect Napoleon's ambition would be so hard to get on account of revolutionary ideals spreading so drat fast.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ok so going for the subjugation war with naples as the papal states is a real trap option, all that AE holy crap I was not expecting that.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Turns out Byzantium makes for a very fun game, provided you can get past the initial Ottoman hurdle. You basically take the place of the ottomans where you can expand in any direction without accumulating AE on one side of your empire and go the other way when you've got too much.

I might actually get the Basileus achievement after all these years.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How do you actually get over that hurdle, these days?

I just followed this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1_eCee-ck

Do note that it's not nearly as foolproof as he says it is. It took me like 10 tries before every step went my way. The Ottomans caught up with my smaller stack in Constantinople way too often and I got screeeeeeewed by siege RNG more than once for example, but it does work and doesn't involve complicated gimmicks or exploits (just fairly simple ones).

Node posted:

That achievement got massively harder when they changed it so you can cross blockaded straits where you occupy territory on both sides. Before that, it was easy. Go into debt and build enough galleys to beat the Ottoman's fleet, then just blockade the strait while the Ottodorks are picking on some Anatolian minor and have their armies there, while you siege down the Balkans without any threat. They're helpless.

Yeah, I know. And I wish I'd done it before that particular change.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 6, 2020

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm having a very interesting Burgundy game at the moment. The succession crisis launched around 1470 and I took the option to remain independant and ultimately took the option to inherit all my PUs, albeit at a permanent 50% autonomy cost for all low country provinces. This lead to France and Austria declaring on me one after the other of course. However they were already beating the poo poo out of each other over England's remaining mainland possessions and so France's troops were nowhere near my borders, allowing to siege down Paris and a few forts easily for an easy victory. Austria was already being sieged down by France and gave up without a real fight.

So now I'm in a commanding position, my entry in the HRE was refused, but Austria has lost the emperorship to a minor which will make taking territory from the HRE a lot easier. France is surrounded by enemies I can ally with and all I'm waiting for is for the 20 years to count down and revoke the autonomy privilege.

Early game EU4 is just the best.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
The way forts work is if an enemy army is besieging it and you send an army to attack them, your army will get the defensive bonus associated with the type of land your fort is built on. So build'em in mountain provinces if possible.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Is it still possible to revoke the privilegia before the reformation? Or did Paradox just made that impossible?

Karanas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 19, 2020

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Man, playing as an OPM makes it really obvious how the AI does it's best to counter you personally in diplomacy. I'm playing a game as Dirthmarschen, and after taking 5 provinces or so, it's been an uphill battle trying to take more territory as every venue of expansion have formed alliances with major powers to cockblock me. East frisia and France? yup. Lauenburg and Bohemia? Of course! Wolgast and Austria? Longtime historical friends didn't you know? Bremen and Denmark? You betcha. Denmark and the loving Ottomans? Why would you possibly think otherwise?

It's been a very tiring game is what I'm saying.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Red Bones posted:

This shouldn't be the case, I've done it before as Madyas. How many provinces do you have? You can only form a pirate republic if you have six provinces or less, otherwise the decision just vanishes from the list.

Hot tip for Dithmarschen (and the HRE in general) - get the age of discovery bonus that lets you make claims bordering claims, and then if there's a neighbour you want to annex who has annoying allies, you can sometimes just daisy chain a bunch of claims to reach one of their allies with weaker alliances and declare war on them instead. It's a godsend for taking the Free Cities without having to fight the emperor. I took Hamburg and Bremen (I think?) in one war by chaining claims all the way to their mutual ally, Riga, and deccing them. Also very good for calling the person you actually want to conquer into a war as a co-belligerent, conquering them, separate peacing, and coring the province before the war ends so the emperor doesn't get pissy about it.

Oh wow, I only ever just moused over that bonus without considering it's implications. Thanks for the tip, that's huge.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Pretty sure I kept my republican government when I did my Florence-Tuscany-Italy game.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Just finished my first Ottomans game in 5 years to get Sultan of Rum and Parisian Pasha, and my god are they boring. They're so strong you're playing in 1444 like it's the 1600s. Just non-stop expansion, and no one can stop you.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
He's obviously trolling you, guy.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
For republics, I'm a fan of the Sortition reform. You get a random pick from three different guys with randomized stats, no 4-1-1 clunkers every time, or you can spend tradition to pick the one you want and they rule for life.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Speaking of launching the game, what happened years back that just wanting to go back to the main menu makes the game relaunch itself?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can play however but I do recommend pausing at start to read some of the missions. They give a kind of canonical direction to the campaign and most of them are interesting.

Tell me about it. Reading the descriptions for Venail's successor country's mission tree had me blurt out a series of progressively louder oh no.

Then I got her as my leader.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 28, 2022

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
So huh, anyone knows how to disable messages for when other countries use favors? There's a bug where countries are asking 0 trust for no favor and it is just happening constantly. It's super annoying.

Edit: Oh my god even disabling in the message settings doesn't stop it.

Edit 2: no wait I had to go in the interesting nations option. crisis averted, game is playable again.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 18, 2023

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
There's also the formable Rezakand in Aelantir who are a bunch of genocidal crusading zealots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I would argue that if you're at like 105 % the events are perfectly manageable. It feels like the higher over the limit you are, the worst the events get and they happen more frequently.