Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do the Tims start with cores on the provinces owned by Transoxiana, Fars and Khorasan? If memory serves you don't pay points or time to integrate provinces you already have cores on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty sure that shot is just about Milan sniping the Burgundian Inheritance event.

Pharnakes posted:

I'm assuming it's mega Lithuania in 9 years?

That's regular Lithuania (and they actually look to be having a rough time).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's what real life Brandenburg tried to do. It did not go well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

In my latest games Denmark's had no trouble hanging onto Sweden and Norway, so uh, them I guess?

Probably still Sweden, since even the AI routinely pulls it off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This has been a thing since Cossacks. The AI wants their fair share if you promise them land. If you let them do all the heavy lifting and then take most of the rewards for yourself, they're gonna be pissed.

Which is kinda irritating, since the measure of war participation seems to be "manpower lost". So if the AI parks huge stacks taking attrition for no reason as the AI tends to do, it drives their participation through the roof.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah releasing nations is mostly for pretty border purposes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eldred posted:

I don't think you can declare a war against the HRE if you're already at war with the emperor, regardless of whether that war with the emperor is against the HRE. Probably to keep you from beating up on the emperor twice with only one real truce timer.

Nah it'll let you do that all you want, it's just so you can't snipe members of the HRE without the emperor getting a chance to intervene.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sudo rm -rf posted:

so i'm doing an iran play-through, going pretty well.

do i not get trade companies in the east indies unless i move my capital to europe?

No trade companies on the same continent as your capital. So you can do Africa, but not the Indies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1-23-ottoman-to-coptic-england-fast-revoke.1057953/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ally France, no CB Tyrone, beat up England a lot, make sure Scotland takes some land.

The posts are actually insanely detailed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, every other formable nation that removes your cores from the empire doesn't do so if you're the emperor, specifically to prevent you from getting a massive surge of authority when you re-add them.

Is there some reason forming England still does that? Or just that they forgot to add that line to the decision?

Mr. Fowl posted:

England got complete control of Portugal somehow. I think they conquered them, because when it happened it was too soon for integrating from a Personal Union.

If you're actually curious you can check the history file for the Portuguese provinces, see if they all cored to England on the same day. It's possible England just inherited Portugal outright; it's rare, but I think it's still possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah LindyBeige is the worst, do not listen to that guy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

The Netherlands broke free from Burgundy and quickly allied Austria, Great Britain and me. Unfortunately they lost the war got fully annexed because as usual they never bothered calling anyone in to help them. :v:

It's because that war inexplicably makes the Netherlands the aggressor, and their former overlord the defender. So it's usually Austria calling in all her many allies and stomping the poo poo out of a lone Netherlands. It's real dumb.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But that's not too bad either, because the AI tends to be god awful at naval invasions, meaning defending that province is usually an easy 25% warscore for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

What idea groups do people recommend for Muscovy -> Russia?

About a page behind, but it depends on the political situation in Lithuania. If Poland is weak, or especially if they decline the union with Lithuania, then take Admin first, and get to work devouring all the Orthodox land in Lithuania. Otherwise Religious first. Defensive second. Third mostly depends on what you have points to spend, you're usually staring at something of a tech crunch. I honestly kinda like Trade as a diplomatic pick, just to steer as much cash as possible into the cash fountain that is Kazan.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Tried sending trade ships to Alexandria to reduce the Ottos' share of the trade power there (I got up to 30% or so, was already waaaay over naval limit and on 0 sailors due to running tons of ships in Tunis to reach 90% there) and reduce their ability to leech [from an upstream node] but it made no difference at all as far as I could tell.

This in fact does not do anything; only the land based portion of trade power transfers upstream.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

i bet it's brandenburg or teutonic order

I will pay $10 for a Prussia immersion pack if they'll finally just change the color to Prussian blue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

No Mann is an Island: Control 100 non-island provinces as Mann

You've got that all wrong.

No, Mann is an Island!: Control all islands as Mann

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

A Mann's Home is His Castle: As Mann, control 10+ provinces and have a fortress in each.

Missed opportunity for the double pun in "A Mann's Home is His Castile: As Mann, own the Castile region"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

Wc isn't particularly difficult if you are doing op things like coptic ottoman. It's just an exercise in like 20-30 hours of clicking through tedious wars you cant possibly lose

Seriously, my biggest takeaway from finishing a WC was that I was never going to attempt it ever again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't see the dev diary posted here, sounds like they'll be rolling back the conversion changes in some way: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-11th-of-september-2018.1118823/

quote:

Good morning and welcome to the first Post-Dharma dev diary. Dharma was released last week and by most measures was an extremely successful release for us. That said, we have a tradition of post release support for our games and expansions, that's what I'm here to talk about today.

Firstly, While Dharma had very few critical bugs on release, there are still issues out there that merit a hotfix. For us, a hotfix is a swift patch on a released product, aimed to fix two particular types of issues: Ones which disrupt the game/its features in a big way, typically crashes, freezes or features breaking in peculiar ways, or small yet high-impact issues which are quick to fix and test on our end.

We are building a hotfix as we speak, and a preliminary list of fixes we are going to be patching are as follows:

Fix crash when supporting heir with negative chance
Fixed a peace treaty crash for players continuing their 1.25 saves
Fixed Trade Company Investments being lost on tag switch
Fixed Trade company Crash
Fixed Crash when stopping Area Rebel suppression
Revolutionary governments now lose their number of reforms as if they switched via reform
Mewar achievement script issue fixed (should be visible if you've formed another nation)
Fixes theocracies and hordes not getting aristocratic ideas
Fixed rulers swapping religions back and fourth in certain cases
Fixed Achievements not being available for released nations
Stopped tight-fisted AI chartering provinces for 0 ducats
Adopt Islamic government no longe ravailable to Indian Sultanates
More fixes may be added to this list as we continue to monitor bug reports that are coming in. Our plan is to release this hotfix as a beta at some point this week, and fold that beta into the main game after a few days, assuming no other serious issues pop up.

There are certainly other issues which I'm certain people are keen to see addressed. For those, we are beginning work on the main post-release Update, 1.27. Let's talk about that now.

Post release updates come after a big expansion, are free and targeted at a region, much like the 1.24 Japan update. We add some flavour to the target region. It also allows us to round up on a lot of the bugs which come in, both for the recently released expansion and some of the older backlog of issues. They sometimes go hand in hand with other things, and that will be the case, as with 1.27, EU4 will also be joining the ranks of our other games in becoming fully GDPR compliant. More details on this will be released closer to the time, but the result for most users will just wind up being a policy to read before playing the game.

Religious conversion in territories has been a hot topic since its changes were announced for and subsequently released in 1.26. The response on it on all platforms (and I've read almost all of them) has lead to some interesting conversations about that whats and whys of religious conversion and some cool ideas on what do do about it. I'm not quite naive enough to overlook how they were overall negatively received, and we want to address these grievances. In the short term, we're going to look at bringing Religious and Humanist more in line with each other as viable choices for your nation for 1.27. We have longer term ideas for conversions, but we'll talk more about that down the line after 1.27.

So yes, Hotfix this week, 1.27 coming soon. Religious conversions responses not falling on deaf ears. Now how about the target for 1.27? Well, over the past year we've put a lot of work into the "Rest of the World" With focus on Japan, The Far East, The Near East and now India.

I'd say it's high time we put the Europa

Back in Europa Universalis

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

skasion posted:

What is that, Polish-Lithuanian borderlands? What am I supposed to be seeing there

Poland in 1444, looking northwest-ish. Silesia in the top left, Mazovia in the bottom right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking of religious conversion, are there even many instances of large scale religious shift like the game allows? I can think of four:

1. The Reformation
  2. Persia shifting to Shia
  3. Russians colonizing Siberia
  4. Christianity in the New World

I do think the change is good, but I wonder if it still shouldn't be more restrictive in general.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just came back to this game after a year or so away, and fired up the ol' Muscovy game just to see if it felt much different, and god drat is it frustrating the way alliances and warfare work. I mean it shouldn't be surprising at all, I guess I just forgot how much of a mess it could be where every AI throws every ounce of effort they have into every conflict, including the allies of all involved. And holy hell are Personal Unions terribly modelled.

Whenever EU5 comes around, I really hope they improve things to the point where low level conflicts are possible; in my opinion some ability to play out a reasonably facsimile of the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars would be a great benchmark.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 16, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They do, yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

Also, people losing their poo poo that our data doesn't correspond to their view of what is the best pick.
Not that we based our balance changes solely on the data we got either, nor is the data showing what is actually the best pick. Only the most popular.

I love that you guys collected and shared that data, and am absolutely flabbergasted that quality is the most popular military idea group. I guess I do pick it a lot too, but only after Offensive or Defensive.

Is there any data on what order these groups are picked in? I'd love to see data for what people's first three picks are.
e: or a weighted grouping based on order of pick. So 4 points for first pick, 3 for second, 2 for third, 1 for anything subsequent.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 30, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I'm looking at Maritime ideas and I don't see it becoming very popular.
pre:
1. +1 Yearly navy tradition        ----->     100% Naval Tradition from Trade
2. +50% National sailors modifier
3. +10% Global ship repair, -10% Sailor maintenance
4. +50% Naval force limit modifier
5. -10% Ship costs
6. +2 Naval leader maneuver        ----->     +1 Free Leader and -25% Admiral Cost
7. +50% Blockade efficiency        ----->     +25% Privateering efficiency.
Bonus: Ships can repair when in coastal sea zones
+1 Navy Tradition is the equivalent of having 50% of your naval force limits protecting trade, which isn't overly unlikely. So +100% would cut that to 25%, or allow you to pretty easily push to +4 Naval Tradition by putting your naval force limits worth towards protecting trade. Combined with one of the big national bonuses that'd make it pretty damned easy to max yourself at 100NT, which would certainly be nice. Couples really well with the +1 Free leader for sure, and strictly better than +2 maneuver if you're at 100NT.

But that's still not all that huge a bonus, given how unimportant naval combat tends to be.

e: also, god drat expiring Subjugation CBs are so annoying. Started an England game, and my Scottish Subjugation CB from Levy the Troops ran out before I could use it, I assume there's no other way for it to come up again.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 30, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the +15% morale is gigantic, it's one of the best single bonuses available anywhere in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

No the data is only that it got picked, no order. But we can assume that early picks will be more prevalent because more games will be started and not finished.

Though looking at the data I do draw a sort of conclusion that majority of players don't pick based on what's in the groups but on the feeling that the groups give. Quality is picked not because it's a good group for land powers (Defensive or Quantity in Single player against AI should def be higher here if you are opting for early game most bang for the buck) but most probable it's picked often because people like the idea of a quality army, not a defensive or quantitative one.

Well that's a shame, but good point about partial games there.

Interesting that that's apparently how the player base picks stuff, the power gamer in me (who inexplicably spends half his time playing England, Muscovy and Brandenburg games :v:) just doesn't understand.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm pretty sure it is, but not like it used to be. Seems to do some sort of caching with the map and flags and stuff though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a trick to buying up trade companies, or is paying >5000 ducats for each one pretty common?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Spain didn't seem to colonize Africa. That's at least a bit odd.

Also Denmark has inherited Norway but not Sweden.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

this is like every 1 out of 3 games i feel

Weird, I almost always see one of two outcomes; either Sweden frees itself and promptly devours Norway (with Norway either free or a PU Junior, it seems to make little difference), or it doesn't and Denmark eventually inherits or integrates both.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anybody played much MEIOU and Taxes? Finally decided to take the plunge, and I really like the angle of fighting for control and the resources of the state, but man does it ever run like poo poo. Also I have no idea what I'm doing. Especially mad at Condotierro; when your force limit is 6, some OPM getting to rent 8k in armies somehow really hurts.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pirate Republics seems like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here. EU5 when?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well the Spain stuff sounds pretty reasonable, and the AI work has been a long time coming for sure, but some of this marine stuff, flagships, and Pirate Republics seems like it'll be so rare as to never matter.

Honestly having played a couple weeks of M&T I really wish they'd start pulling some of the complexities of that into the base game to make country management deeper, with estates and autonony a real issue. But I know Johan hates that idea, and I have no idea if Jake has the influence or inclination to pull it in that direction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I don't love the idea of coming in and trumpeting about M&T after Phi's little bout of insanity there, but I think they really do have some good ideas. Having estates control all your territory with assorted privileges, and then making you compete with them for control of the state is loving brilliant. Communication efficiency driving autonomy also seems pretty good. Dei Gratia remains great as it has been since EU3.

The biggest problem with it by far (after the random crashes I guess) is that all the data you need to handle that stuff is just bolted on top through province modifiers and hidden events and poo poo. If it was actually part of the engine and exposed in the regular UI (and documented anywhere) it'd be much easier to understand.

But then you get into the franchise overlap that Paradox has tried to avoid forever: bringing estate interactions forward from CK2, and proto-POPs back from V2. I think it would make the game vastly better, but I'm no marketing division.

Beamed posted:

the "army is invincible if a single cannon has morale still" bug that has been around since EU3. And of course, the fact you're supposed to cycle troops in and out of a battle.

But this poo poo is also ridiculous, and if there was a good fix for that I'd call it good enough for EU5.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I thought they were thinking of the part where your reserves take morale damage, so it's best to send troops in in batches so they hit the front lines with max morale.

Or maybe they're not thinking of that, but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about stupid problems with the combat system.
I don't think you can get rid of that, because then you just go back to the old problem of massive battles that take two years to resolve.

A better solution I think is just to make battles resolve much faster, making it unfeasible to pull that stupid Noria poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, EU3->EU4, while it definitely had a vastly improved trade system, I recall was mostly under the hood improvements. In contrast, it's seen a huge amount of evolutionary development; EU4 at release is almost unrecognizable compared to the game it is today.

aardvaard posted:

this is the pitch for imperator: rome, so they're working on it

Well that does sound rad. I haven't been really following since it seemed like early days, and I didn't want to start the hype train too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I don’t know why you would care if the Aztecs are viable. This is a game not a simulator. It literally never goes on the rails so I don’t know why the Aztecs have to be on the rails.

They're not, but there's a lot of us who would prefer if it was more simulationist.

Like I really wish Portugal would actually push south into Africa and India; they had been trying to break into West African trade for decades before the game begins, India is the obvious goal once determined to be possible. But in the game it's basically impossible for the Portuguese adventures in the Indian Ocean to happen, so instead they get like 4 colonists and go settle Eastern North America or something.

Similarly the Spanish conquest of Mexico can't really happen as it did either; inevitably some European power has to land 20k troops in the new world. Stuff like that is real dumb.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hi I'm trying to get the Frozen Assets achievement for Novgorod and I just wanted to say that merchant and veche republics really loving suck. +1 merchant in exchange for no estates and a soft limit of 20 stated provinces. How is it even remotely worth staying in this government form?

Yeah they're awful. Pretty much any government that disables Estates I stay the hell away from.