Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Is there anything for EU4 like the miscmods scenarios? Those were fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Russia and the Mamluks declared war on my ally, I killed 400,000 of them, and my ally accepted peace for 220 gold. What the gently caress AI.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

You allied Perfidious Albion didn't you.

No it was Chagatai against Russia (I usually don't do the heavy lifting for the AI but I will take any opportunity to hurt AI Russia because gently caress AI Russia)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
How often does the AI leave alliances? I'm trying to form Italy as Savoy and two province Ferrara has allied France. I would declare war on another ally and make them annul treaties, but their other allies are Austria and Bohemia.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

I don't see how different countries having different levels of difficulty is a problem. If you are finding France too easy then don't play France, theres like 100 different countries of various power levels in Europe alone.

If you are really craving that forming France experience though, you can pick them, release all the tags like orleans, bourbonaisse, etc, and then release and play as the one of your choice.

I like different levels of difficulty but it's annoying how certain aspects of the game get railroaded. I play in Central Asia a lot and every single game, Muscovy forms Russia in the late 1500s and conquers the steppes. I have never seen Muscovy fail to form Russia unless I started nearby and invaded them early (and one game where the Ottomans decided gently caress the Middle East and went north from Crimea instead). Even if Muscovy is supposed to be an easy nation, I would find it more interesting if they sometimes lost to the other Baltic nations, or if an AI horde that unified the steppe had any chance of stopping Russian expansion.

England is the same way except that the AI is terrible at fighting on the continent.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Spain declared war on me (Imerina) for my single gold province, despite having no territory anywhere near it. So far they have lost 85 ships trying to invade random islands in Indonesia. Hopefully it's worth it :ohdear:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It's very not fun fighting late game wars against Europe as an African nation. Not even because the game gives Europeans so many bonuses, but because you can kill 30,000 European soldiers on some island halfway across the world and sink their entire fleet and they'll still refuse to sign even a white peace.

Also if you control a coastal gold province, every colonizing nation declares war almost every time the truce expires.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

as a European nation you don't get crippling military penalties that literally only depend on the name of your country, don't get invaded by every colonizing nation on ten year intervals, and every war doesn't consist of sinking all the enemy transports and then sitting on your rear end for five years waiting for them to accept a peace deal for a war they cannot possibly win.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is really that simple - AI allies are too invested in wars that are being lost. If the wartarget has zero armies and is 90%+ occupied, the allies should be more willing to white peace *IF* they are outnumbered.

:yeah:

but AI allies refusing to peace out of a lost war seems like the same problem as Spain fighting a 15 year hellwar with some Indonesians over Cocos Island, so you might as well fix that too while you're at it

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The new mission system seems like a pretty large and unnecessary buff to major European nations and a handful of others, at the expense of everyone else. I like it more in theory but it's pretty lovely that European majors get free permanent claims on large areas of land while almost everyone else gets default missions that are worse than the old ones.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Anyone tried Riga/Livonian Order in the latest patch? Everything I find says to fabricate on Danzig and add it to the HRE, but Lithuania starts with permanent claims on all of Riga and LO and Denmark gets permanent claims after one mission, so even if I manage to take Danzig (on which Poland starts with a permanent claim :geno:) I am finding it very difficult to survive long enough for that to work.

I don't want to no CB East Frisia.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I am playing a game with historical lucky nations. It is 1700. Ming is a lucky nation. What the poo poo.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(It's honestly super lame that even The Obsidian Empire is just a lump that doesn't screw over to the other side of the world. Should really get missions to do that)

They do, it's pretty poo poo missions but they have two each for I think Iberia, Ireland and Scandinavia.

I don't think there's anything to give them a CB though, so they get claims on Europe if they take a province but the AI never will.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh yeah, no poo poo. I'm asking why this mechanic has to be special to only one country.

Like I'd be fine if it was a lengthier or more expensive process for other countries, or maybe have a high tech or idea group requirement, but I think it's pretty dumb that only the Mughals can do it for no other reason than they're the Mughals.

At the same time this definitely wouldn't be the first time a country gets bonuses just for having a certain tag

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

One thing that I didn't realize for a while and am bad at managing is that the influence of your estates increases the bonuses they give (province wise along with nation wide), along with the number bonuses on their actions. So if you shake them down for monarch points and they're high influence you can get like 150 (not sure if it goes higher, that was something like 75% influence). Then the balancing act is that going over 80% for too long is really bad, but you get rewarded for riding that line. Overall there is a surprising amount of depth to the whole system that I enjoy, though I am really bad at trying to leverage it.

On an aside, do you guys try to leverage the humiliate wargoal to collect those sweet, sweet MP rewards?

You get 200 monarch points if they're at 100 influence. Kind of useful as a two province minor, where your second province is worth like 40% influence and you can rotate it between estates.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Im going to try playing as Riga now that I have a better understanding of the game. Seems like it could be fun if you manage to survive the initial Poland/Lithuania expansion war.

Riga is pretty fun. I took all the Livonian Order's stuff while they were fighting Poland, then took most of the Teutonic Order's stuff and joined the HRE before Poland could invade me. Also got alliances with Muscovy and Denmark, so joining the HRE to stop Poland was kind of overkill.

e: 14000 Perm separatists spawned in Kazan while I was fighting Muscovy. Every province they care about is forest. I tested buying mercenaries up to my force limit and attacking them; it lost and 2/3 of my army died (and I had 0 manpower due to fighting Muscovy)

isn't that fun

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 30, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I had a few games where the reformation was really lovely, but all the major powers joined the protestant league and the HRE ended up with like three single province protestant countries rotating through emperor. :shrug:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Eldred posted:

Unrelated note - what's a fun start in Africa? Would like to be away from the northern parts so I don't have to deal with Ottomans and Mamluks right away.

I had a fun game as Imerina a while ago. The ocean gives a bit of protection against Kilwa, and (once you unite Madagascar) nobody can discover your capital so Europeans don't invade until you interact with them.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never played horde. Something about razing turns me off. I guess I just like numbers going up

I often play in Central Asia and end up with Russia invading me every 10 years, sending infantry stacks to siege random forts, and taking way too loving long to sign a peace treaty.
Playing as Kazan, invading them in 1445 and razing/giving to Yaroslavl all their provinces is cathartic.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Sukhothai has the best map color and is therefore the best underdog. :eng101:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The formables thing seems unnecessary because AI never does it in the first place.

quote:

Speaking of Ming, 1.26 may as well be renamed the Sukhothai update, as declaring an independence war no longer calls in your overlord's Tributary overlord. Sukhothai can now declare war against Ayutthaya without Chinese intervention.
Winning the Sukhothai independence war was a kind of fun puzzle game

Also I don't have that expansion but trade companies seem like an (even bigger) bonus for Europeans and I don't know if Europe needs that many bonuses.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 24, 2018

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
hot take: I don't understand why people complain about the end game tags "railroading things" when it still allows you to play Brandenburg->Persia

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

oddium posted:

i was making fun of the guy for “why is thing bad when tiny good thing is still in”

does the end game tag change affect anything, other than people minmaxing world conquest (good) or trying to do formable nation achievements as ottomans (france exists)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Koboje posted:

I had a good Najd run going that I hoped to get some achievements with, then I had a Tribal succession crisis and those "No child can be Khan!" style messages, I thought those horrible things were reserved for Hordes only? In any case it lead to monstrous amounts of Pretender rebels, which caused a Civil war, which caused more Rebels and in the end I was massively in debt and had lost 80% of my development when Pretender rebels enforcing demands also enforced Mushashas Seperatists demands who held only 2 provinces but got to secede with about 6 or 7 of them.

I think iqta gets those events too?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Achievements I want to bother getting at some point: A Decent Reserve, A Manchurian Candidate, A Sun God, Switzerlake, African Power, Big Blue Blob, Sons of Carthage. What are some other fun, moderately challenging ones to go for? I have Ideas Guy already but it was one of my favorites to get.

I also have "We bled for this" which is my rarest achievement. Burning through a million manpower in a war with vs. Ottomans and everyone else doesn't seem like it would be that uncommon.

The Riga one was pretty fun. You get the achievement at about the same time you become a major power, so there are no boring wars against countries that stand zero chance of beating you.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gort posted:

Here's the diplo interface, you can see my claim under the "cores and claims" bit:

and here's how I can't use that as a casus belli for some reason:

Did you just now get the claim? You usually have to run a few days before the CB pops up.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Last night before I quit I noticed I was suddenly hemorrhaging money as Vijayanagar and couldn't figure out why. I had just conquered a bunch of land so I figured maybe it was some unrest or war exhaustion or corruption or something but then I found the culprit. My trade income was suddenly 0 ducats a month.

Is this a bug anyone else has run into this patch? I'm hoping when I boot it up tonight the problem has resolved itself.

In my Mewar game I had 0 trade income because I stopped having a trade capital for some reason. I moved the trade capital back where it started and it was fixed.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL at them making it so you can't tagswitch from "endgame" tags and then the next patch making a new country that endgame tags can switch to.

Can't endgame tags already form Rome?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It gets weird when the AI does that with ships. I've had Spain land 90000 troops on some useless island in Indonesia, sunk all their transports, and then they refused to make peace for years because their only provinces I could reach were islands and I couldn't make enough soldiers to land there and kill their army.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I had a game as colonial Dai Viet where the entire RNW flowed into Australia or Japan and nothing flowed into Europe at all. That was good.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It'd be nice if they gave Granada something, Byzantium gets permanent claims on poo poo they lost 200 years before the Crusader Kings II start date but Granada doesn't even have claims on all of al-Andalus.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
If you want to avoid Europe you could try starting as one of the bunch of interchangeable nations in Indonesia, someone big in India, or maybe Kilwa or Ethiopia.

Anyone in the Americas is terrible, but Japan isn't bad.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I've seen the Ottomans decide to attack Albania first even though they were allies with Hungary, and Mamluks+Karaman seem to like invading the Ottomans if they're losing an early war. If both of those happened in the same game I could see the AI giving the Ottomans a hard time.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Family Values posted:

It's easy(ish) if you restart until Burgundy allies you. Burgundy will join the war on a promise of land (up to you if you give it to them or piss them off and tank their trust). Ally Castile and Aragon yourself to make them less likely to ally France, even though they won't join the war.

Aragon works in place of Burgundy, if they rival France they'll want the southern border province. Also whatever Italians France allies will go fight Naples instead of joining with the French army right away.

Also restart until France doesn't ally anyone big, and start by knocking their allies out of the war.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I took all of Spain's provinces in Europe and they ended up in debt, so they sold a trade company in Africa. To Ainu. :laugh:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
I think meiou is less fun than vanilla eu4

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

If I enforce a personal union over Denmark, which still has its unions, do I also get them in the bargain or do they fly solo?

Don't quote me but I think you get the unions as vassals.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Let me shift-right click a bunch of provinces and have my army move from province to province waiting for sieges to finish.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
it's annoying when your rival gets owned by a stack of 20k rebels, and then the rebels cross the border into France and get stack wiped by the entire French army allowing your rival to retake their land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Beamed posted:

Really interested in trying a Horde game after the earlier linked Arumba Mongolia game. Any tips for getting Gold Rush? I'm way more concerned about The First Muscovy War than anything else.

I did it a few patches ago, but I started as Kazan and attacked Muscovy as soon as they declared war on Novgorod with my starting army and the free cavalry from the estate. Wiping the vassal armies early and fighting every battle on plains was enough to get a few provinces, and then by the time the truce ran out I had taken a lot of stuff from the other hordes and Russian minors. AI Muscovy grows fast enough that I'm not sure waiting would make it any easier.

I assume I savescummed that event that makes Crimea an Ottoman vassal.

edit: I don't know if I did it when I got Gold Rush, but if Poland doesn't choose the personal union you should be able to ally Lithuania.