Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It’s getting to that time of year where I sink a shameful amount of time into EU4 before wondering what I’m doing with my life and uninstalling immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Arsonide posted:

Now that Cradle of Civilization has dropped, I kind of want to play this because everyone else says this game is fun. I have all of the DLC. However, here is my experience playing Europa Universalis 4: I play the tutorial, and am still confused as hell, then stop playing, and eventually uninstall. This has happened twice now over many years.

So for someone that wants to play this, but has been through the tutorial twice and still has no idea what is going on, is there a Youtube series or something that teaches morons how to play and enjoy this game?

It's best to just dive in and learn while you play, tackling new mechanics at your own leisure. The game is so complex I still learn things after 200 hours, very basic things. This thread has been helpful when I've posted here with basic questions, and the EU4 Wiki explains everything in great detail for whenever you're curious about something.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I have the DLC up to whatever came prior to Mandate of Heaven. Are there any essentials since? Steam reviews range from mixed to negative on all of them. I'd like to get back into the game and might grab some essentials while they're on sale.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks, I appreciate the write-up. I think I'm gonna give into temptation and buy all of them, including the new one that's not on sale :negative:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Shawon Dunston posted:

Just a heads up, one of the Immersion Packs, Rule Britannia, also adds a couple of things that personally I think are good, but are not as universally agreed upon. First thing is the Innovativeness mechanic (yeah it's a loving stupid name) that really helps enable tall play if you want to engage it that way. Basically you get a scaling bonus of -10% to all power costs as it goes from 0-100 and you gain Innovativeness for things like researching techs and ideas first and through random events of course. The other thing exclusive to Rule Britannia is the Coal trade good and the Furnace manufactory that goes along with it. Obviously this is an insanely late-game thing, some provinces have coal as a "latent trade good" and when you embrace the Enlightenment it converts over to coal, which gives some pretty stupid bonuses for being the leading trader of it. Furnaces, too, give a +5% global goods produced to your nation per instance, so if you've got a few coal provinces suddenly you're looking at a massive economic expansion. Honestly I wouldn't even have mentioned this one because it is just literal, blatant power creep, but the new update also introduced an eighth Institution, Industrialization, which pops at 1750 and after I just loaded a new game without RB enabled to see, as an institution it doesn't make a lot of sense and the requirements are pretty stupid, as opposed to with RB where it's entirely centered around access to coal and furnaces. So if you enjoy late game EU4 I'd say Rule Britannia is definitely also worthwhile.
I don't think I've ever actually finished a game despite just shy of 200 hours playtime. I got RB and the other two DLC of that type (Golden Century and Third Rome), which on top of the four major expansions will make what you're talking about a drop in the pond for me. But I'll definitely keep RB on in case I make it that far.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Popoto posted:

If you’re the type to play extensively for a month or two before dropping it for several months to a year (or more) after, I recommend getting the “all DLCs” subscription for 5$ instead.
drat, I didn't know that existed because it would've been the way to go. I already bought them all.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Steam's really decent at refunding games, even after they've gone past the 2 hour mark, as long as you ask them to return your cash in Steam bucks.
Forgot about that. Cheers.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Any tips for my Mantua run? It's almost 1500. I'm a single province fully surrounded by Milan (ally) and Venice (neutral) and allied also with Hungary. They both outstrip me militarily and I have no sea access. The Ottomans are declaring war on Venice a lot. Milan is growing but they're not on Venice's level. Both are stacked with allies so I couldn't fight them. I'm just kind of sitting here, assisting Milan in its wars. I feel I might have taken them very early but the moment has passed.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for the above. I'm curious if *something* opens things up for me so I'm just gonna cruise through the years and see.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

drat, after waiting til the 1540s in my single Mantuan province the Mamluks liberated Ferrera from Venice and I gobbled them up immediately. Then I immediately conquered Florence and had four provinces. But... I hadn't considered aggressive expansion. A huge coalition pulverized me instantly and I'm right back in my single province. It was a learning experience.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a mod out there that shows an estimated outcome of a battle if you direct your troops towards other troops? There are too many factors unclear to a casual player like me to know how some situations are going to go, and I don't want to put myself at risk of marching into open jaws.

For the record, my 23K Mantuan tech 15 army would go offensive against a 25K tech 14 Russian army on a neutral hill.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Generals and ideas are important here too. Not enough info to guess at the outcome but when it's that close I'd try not to attack them on the hill. I don't think the mod you're looking for exists. There might be like a browser based calculator or something though?
Ah that's okay. There's no real stakes since I'm just an ally in the war looking to up my contribution. The Russian army was laying siege to my capital but lifted it when I marched back there.

Follow up question, if an army is laying siege to a fort and are met by the sieged party's army is there any differences to defensive bonuses or do they just go to the sieger as the defensive army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks.

I like the dumb position I've put myself in as Mantua, a measly four provinces surrounded by enemies in Milan, Venice and the PS, Protestant while they're all Catholic and presumably only not being eaten alive by the grace of having allies in France, Great Britain and Denmark.

I wouldn't have gone Protestant if I could go back with what I know about how it would piss off all my neighbours but all my provinces have converted so I'm not gonna reverse it.