Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Lagnar posted:

Almost done a "The Buddhists strike back" run (own all of India as Ceylon and convert it all the Theravada) and I've had a few funny things happen so far.

This run sounds a lot of fun, how'd you handle the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiopia's a really fun game, but sometimes the game just decides it hates you.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

This is the most fun of the runs I've done lately!

Tips:
- Conquer as quickly as you can. Seriously, the sooner you eat enough countries to form Inca, the sooner you can stop investing in military
- When you're done with the initial expansion (maybe leave Muisca alive, but kill everyone else immediately around you), focus on development and finishing the reformation of your religion. When you do reform your religion, you will get all institutions of your neighbours, as well as most of their tech levels, so don't worry about investing in tech beforehand.
- Colonizing: early on, colonize whatever you can, making sure to get to DIP 3 before investing in dip development. Mid-game, focus on locking off the west coast and Galapagos. Later on, when you can take the europeans easily, focus on their colonial nations. You get no overextension for their provinces, and their overlords usually will not even bother to show up.

Your units' pips are usually inferior to euros. Numbers are good though!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone gone for the Around the World in 80 Years achievement lately?

Looking it up, when it came out you could get some land outside the british isles, so starting in malta, madeira, iceland would allow you to expand quickly. Starting from Britain I'm not seeing how you can quickly get to asia/india.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finally managed to get Around the World in 80 Years.

Advice:
- Get a government type you're comfortable with. I went with Ambrosian Republic because having a 6/6/6 for most of the game is really good
- You can *only* take provinces in the british region in the nation creator. Originally this achievement allowed you to start with Malta/Madeira/Iceland, which made things significantly easier! Therefore, my suggestion would be to start in London, and take everything English/Scottish except for a single, preferrably landlocked, english province (Oxford is a good example).
- Exploration > a military idea (i like quality). You won't get a third group.
- You'll probably want the first unlocked national idea to be Colonial Range, since it'll unlock at the same time as Exploration's colonial range buff.
- Military traditions are good as hell and, if you combine them with a solid tech group (like ottomans), you'll crush everyone in the crucial early game wars.
- Ming is the final boss!
- If France eats England, you can form it. This gets you a bunch of missions, the most notable of which is a free claim on Bengal. Use it!

General strategy:
At game start, spy on England and Denmark. Claim Oxford and whatever norwegian province you want (faroe, orkney), and DOW england as soon as you can. You may have to deal with Castille, which will make things harder than if it's just England and Portugal.

Close out the war ASAP taking Porto (or, if castille is in, galicia) and Oxford. You can't get the azores/madeira, sadly.

No-CB fezzan and vassalize them. You'll be using them to eat Suez later.

Take iceland from norway with the CB you fabricated.

When you have iceland and vassalized fezzan, you can take on the mamluks. You'll probably need a lot of dudes! Give all occupied provinces to Fezzan and have them take only what is necessary so they can core Suez (should be 4 provinces). When you can start coring Fezzan's poo poo, seize the province north of suez, core it, seize suez, and by the time you're done coring it you should be ready to start conquering in India.

From here on out, you can pick your own strategy. I like going through one of the central american minors (Kiche, usually) and conquering a province on the west coast and one on the east coast so I can have naval range on the pacific ASAP.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I'm mostly trying to do this Maya run because I already did it on non-ironman, and I think that the super narrow field of play and how all the countries are set up make mesoamerica an interesting sort of puzzle, but is this just sort of the nature of Ironman? That sometimes the simulation just spits out a problem that can't really be solved, and that the really hard starting countries (like the native americans) involve a lot more restarting? Does anyone have any advice? I have the initial unification of the mayan states and conquering the zapotec down to a consistent science, but beyond that things get a lot more messy depending on what the Nahautl states are doing.

fyi if you're playing a start with lots of initial state resetting, and playing ironman off a local save, it's not a sin to just copy that save and make copies of it when you're needing to start a new playthrough. I did it for my nagaur start which I never would've gotten anywhere with otherwise, having to replay those initial 20 years so often.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Playing novgorod feels like pulling teeth. Are merchant republics supposed to be this unfun?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Going for those achievements you need to spend a ton of time resetting for really hurts my enjoyment of the game. Just wasted like ten hours going for the Navarra one only to ultimately give up. I need to pick something fun next time.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
München is in a really nice spot and with a solid mission tree. Doesn't compare to how powerful Austria is, but you get free PUs over Palatinate, Brandenburg and Austria in your mission tree, as well as a way to vassalize Köln that lets you keep them as your dynasty in perpetuity, as long as they're an Archbishopric and you're a Monarchy.

Still annoying to play in the HRE because of just how much you have to deal with coalitions, especially with free cities giving you so much AE. Gets better when you have five diplomats and a bunch of improve relations, though!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Does Expand Empire actually work? Just did it on france, got ~30 IA but all their provinces are outside of the empire

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finished my first run, as Munchen - Bavaria - HRE. Went for the Stern des Sudens achievement, which isn't too hard - what I did was wait until Imperialism CB, since Expansion no longer seems to allow you to forge claims for overseas, and conquered a few provinces to give Bremen enough range to go Bremen - Suez - Horn of Africa. Afterwards I played it out to the end in speed 5, after unifying the HRE.

Timurids got the revolution and did absolutely nothing with it - they kept being friendly with the Ottomans and expanded the revolution peacefully to Tibet, basically.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tried Big Blue Blob lately? I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere without coalitions making expansion really difficult. NoCBing Byz was good because it let me got a lot of provinces from the Ottomans, but I also bled a ton of manpower in my wars with them.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
tapping out on the big blue blob after a few tries. feels like going fast enough is hard with all the vassals you have to eat and the governing capacity penalty impacting your AE now

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i'm doing a dithmarschen run and haven't gotten the achievement yet because Austria inherited burgundy.

it's 1658, this is how austria looks

they're allied with milan (HRE) too, but I can get them isolated if i attack texas

i think this is the hardest big boss i've ever had in the game that isn't the ottomans

EDIT: anticlimatic campaign finale: they sent all their troops to fight the mamluks and i pounced. by the time i was up to wien they'd only sent a 40k stack. oops

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 26, 2020

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Heya nope, that's jsut to get papal influence (2 per year?) and +50 (I think?) with the Papal State. There is (meant to be) a third button, with a papal mitre and a green plus, where you can contribute directly to the curia; except in this playthrough it's missing.

i think you have to be papal controller to do so

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm starting to really like this patch because it makes OPM starts so much nicer. Being able to declare CB wars with max troops on Dec 11 before everyone allies all their neighbors makes starting out way less tedious

which CB are you using for this?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
is the dlc worth buying / patch worth playing yet?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any bug related to AI going wild with AE? I noticed my game slowing down a ton, and it turns out vij was at war with the whole world. they didn't appear to hold enough land to justify this ether, basically their starting stuff

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

So... who won?

it was not vijayanagar

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
anbennar is in a really good spot atm, if you even remotely think it'd be your sort of thing, check it out.

i'm currently doing a vampire run as Asheniande, who are basically the 'good vampires'. you have some interesting regional conflicts, particularly with a locally similar power you get a PU CB on and the starting emperor which holds some of your cores; once you get some resources you get to face Corvuria, who are the 'bad vampires'. once you're done with that you can start doing vampire: the masquerade poo poo, start the camarilla and spread your vampires to all other countries in the empire so your immortal vampire duke is elected emperor... for (un)life!

after you do all that, you get another PU CB on not-france so you're immediately the strongest nation in the game.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I just did this and the final reward was pretty underwhelming. You trade in your 6/6/6 400 year lifespan* ruler for a permanent buff of 1% Missionary Strength, 1% Yearly Prestige, and +1 True Faith Tolerance. Fun run though. You can also form the Phoenix Empire and get their insane near-WC mission tree tacked onto the end of your normal one. I'm now fighting end-boss military hegemon The Command and their million-strong army

*For some reason my elven rulers keep randomly dying around the same age as humans and I have to reload each time

there are three possible outcomes depending on the outcomes of individual missions. like the one that requires a production efficiency advisor gives 2 points if you have him at level 2 instead of the required 1. the best outcome is an immortal godking ofc

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
If you go Ravelian and most of the Empire goes Ravelian too, there's an imperial crisis that allows the empire's religion to flip Ravelian too. I did that in my Ashienande game, and that + Vampires meant i had everyone voting for me constantly. If you want to revoke the privilegia before the religious wars or something, the path is probably some Damerian cheese.

WRT Karashar: I followed this reddit guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anbennar/comments/nxl8m6/masked_butcher_stress_free_guide_this_time_for/ for general strategy. Just be aware that the stability / migration thing doesn't apply anymore post-Leviathan

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Verkal Skomdihr is super fun

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

dublish posted:

Do they have missions? I tried one of the holds with no mission tree and it seemed like a miserable slow slog, especially once the disasters got going.

their thing is you make the capital impregnable with magic then go into the deepwoods and kick out all the orcs and goblins, convert or kick out the elves, and get a monopoly on tropical wood which is necessary for everyone else to make ships, so you get rich as gently caress

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Amhazair posted:

How'd you go about it? I looked at it a while ago (because come on, Cthulhu* Dwarves!) but didn't see any way to pull off the start. Granted, this was an older version so I don't know if there is a better candidate for it now starting in the east but even so, taking on the command as an adventurer doesn't seem doable to me?

*Disclaimer: I'm not actually sure it's Cthulhu Dwarves? The names in the mission tree gave me that vibe but that's all I know about them so far.

start as rubyhold. they get two adventurer spawning events, take the second and you'll be relatively close (have to go through chaingrasper though)

i was unable to do it without cheating but that's the way to go. maybe when haless is in it'll be slightly easier because the command will actually have enemies that can go in when you weaken them

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

skipThings posted:

Have now tried every font mod in the workshop I guess, shame that the mod just breaks or doesn't load in the new fonts at all
makes Anbennar basically unplayable cause the EU4 default font is absolute rear end and I do not know why it's not changed in a mod that changes basically everything else for the better

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2599979802

There's a few too many memes in what should really be just a ui mod but it works well.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Skurkokli is an extremely unique anbennar game (start with frosthide or whatever they're called, the northernmost ogres near the lake republic).

Don't bother making your starting ruler a lich, even though you do have high necromancy already he will be replaced via MT. Essentially you get to ravage over the whole world while gradually migrating west until escann. You get a lot of razing power and automatic religion/culture conversion via MT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Scandinavia used to have way worse NIs than Sweden as well. I am guessing you get to keep the SWE ones or the SCA ones are better now.

They didn't have ideas.
Now: