Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I thought the AI wasn't supposed to suddenly break an alliance with no warning when I had 100 trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

At this point I've had all three centers for both Reformed and Protestant on at least two separate occasions. I've been playing COR-whack-a-mole for the past 100 years, and I've probably removed ten or so of each. :shrug:

e: I just converted one in Bavaria and one instantly popped up again in Saxony, wtf

There is a beta patch out. One of the things it fixes is:

quote:

- Religions will no longer spawn more reformation centers than they are allowed to

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I thought it was just 66% warscore and 5 years.

It is. The only influence the war target has on Call to Peace is that after five years of not taking it you will have the full -25 war score for not taking the war target. If you pick a rich province with a fort as the war target then that single unsieged province can be enough to keep you below 66 war score as long as your enemy is fairly small. Wouldn't work on Ming of course.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

When France owns the entire channel coast and is rivaled to England, it can take some time for Colonialism to spread to the mainland.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, is there any reason to convert TC provinces to my religion?

Very little. TC provinces get neither the positive nor the negative effects of being the right/wrong religion/culture. You can still convert provinces before adding them to the TC to get prestige/papal influence from the conversion, but that's rarely worth it.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

EU4 was still one of the Top 100 highest grossing games on Steam last year. I guess we'll get a few expansions this year too.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Looking to get closer to having a complete game now that this is all on sale.

I still don't have El Dorado, Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Rights of Man, and Cradle of Civilization. Am I missing anything important?

e: clarity

The diplomatic Macro builder stuff in Mandate of Heaven is really nice.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

Reman made a guide on how to get started with Austria.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Reformed isn't totally bugged. It did okay in my "The Iron Price" game:

But I have had several games where it was a non-starter.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Well, once their war enthusiasm is down to low, you should be able to get a 100 war score peace without ever getting to 100 war score.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Several streamer have gotten preview copies of Rule Brittania and are now streaming it.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

For me it spawned in 1527. This was after protestant and reformed had gotten 3 centers of reformation each.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

This isn't something you see very often:

I guess it could be caused by an AI bug. Denmark wasn't particularly weak in this game. They had conquered Haburg, Danzig, Riga, and half the Livonian order, and Sweden was loyal.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

How do you Scotland if you're not that good at warfare?

What worked for me last patch was to NOT ally France, but instead rely on their guarantee to keep the English off my back while I conquered Ireland. Once that was done I waited for England to send all their troops to the new world to fight some indian tribe and then declared war.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Pylons posted:

Playing a game as Muscovy. I did the usual war with Novgorod right away, but now they've allied Poland (who has Lithuania in a union). What're my options here? Right now I'm just eating up my vassals and attacking the hordes to the South, but I'm gonna need to go after Novgorod eventually. Wait until Poland picks a fight with the HRE? Denmark has me as a rival, so the Kalmar Union won't ally me.

Do they have any minor allies or trade league members you could declare on?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yolomancer posted:

There's a bug with the English 'Strategic Control' mission in the new DLC.

It worked for me:

This is basically the new mission system version of the old Occupy Paris mission. To fulfill it you have to be at war with France and siege down their capital. You must then click the complete mission button before making peace.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

In my game Anglicanism spawned in Scotland, England was Catholic but flipped to protestant due to rebels, and I never got an opportunity as Ireland to be Anglican. What is the trigger?

I believe Anglicanism will only trigger for nations in the British culture group. Irish is in the Celtic culture group.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

oddium posted:

actually i thought about it for more than a second and you could probably just release normandy as a vassal and grant them maine if you want to avoid the war

That's what I did. Additionally I put Normandy on scutage and deleted my forts in Calais and Labourd. Once I got the subjugation CB on Scotland France did honor their guarantee, but since Greater Normandy was not part of the war and my remaining mainland provinces had no forts the French couldn't really get much war score against me.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, Diplomat vassals generally think they have better things to do with their diplomats and will take a long time to make any claims. Militarist vassals will claim anything withing reach whether you ask them to or not. The other three personality types will generally get around to making claims once you mark provinces as vital interest.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

I thought that might be the case, but I don't have the CB against African countries either

It's not a CB. It's the ability to build spy networks and forge claims on provinces that would normally be far out of your range to forge claims against.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

What do you mean? When you're at war and your enemy country's unrest spawns rebels in provinces you hold? Or when you have rebels pop and they appear in enemy territory? Because I've never seen the latter.

I believe they are referring to the fact that separatist rebels can cross borders. Let's say you're playing the Livonian Order and you decide to take advantage of Lithuania being stomped into the ground by Russia to pinch a couple of Lithuanian provinces for yourself. After the war Lithuanian separatist rebels can spawn in both your country and Russia. The ones that spawn in your country will be limited by your force limit. The ones that spawn in Russia are however only limited by the (presumably) much higher Russian force limit. Once a mega stack of Lithuanian separatist rebels spawn in Russia they can (and probably will) cross the border and start sieging down former Lithuanian provinces in your country.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Weird thing about their army composition: miltech 17, they had 112k infantry and 2k cavalry. 0 artillery.

This is why AI Russia is usually a paper tiger. The way the trade nodes are set up makes it very difficult for the Russian AI to earn much money from trade. While russian ideas include big bonuses to manpower and force limit Russia can rarely afford to build up to their force limit even with basic infantry. Artillery is a luxury Russian generals can only dream about. Thus once you hit mil tech 16, any army with proper artillery support can stack wipe Russian armies at will.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

I finally beat the game! :toot:

:smug:

You really should try Iron Man sometime.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I believe a released nation will be the religion of the majority of their cores. That's the majority of all their cores, not just the ones you release them with. This means you can't just take a couple of former Mamluk provinces, convert them to Protestant and then release them, as the vast majority of their cores will be the still Sunni ones you don't own.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Traxis posted:

So as Timurids are you guys fighting the inevitable independence war or resetting/save scumming so your ruler lives long enough to start annexing your vassals?

I did most of what Fister Roboto wrote except this part:

quote:

Most importantly, don't go to war with anyone for the first ten years and keep your army at force limit.

Instead I declared reconquest war on Ajam as soon as the game would let me. This serves two purposes. While at war your subjects can't get anyone to support their independence, thus giving you more time to improve relations. Getting 100% warscore of your cores back also improves your power relative to your subjects.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Sephyr posted:

What do you mean, just once? I thought there'd be the early war (usually over Maine), and the you get the CB to unite them, meaning at the very least 2 wars.

The war started by the Surrender of Maine event is a Restoration of Union war:

quote:

ENG = {
declare_war_with_cb = {
who = FRA
casus_belli = cb_restore_personal_union

If you avoid the event you need two wars. One to get the CB by occupying Paris and then a second where you declare with the CB.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

The Burgundian inheritance never fired - it’s 1520 now, can that still happen?

No, must be before 1500:

quote:

trigger = {
tag = BUR
ai = yes
was_player = no
NOT = { has_country_flag = burgundian_succession_crisis }
is_at_war = yes
is_free_or_tributary_trigger = yes
is_emperor = no
government = monarchy
has_regency = no
is_female = no
NOT = { is_year = 1500 }
capital_scope = {
continent = europe
}
FRA = {
exists = yes
is_free_or_tributary_trigger = yes
num_of_cities = 8
is_neighbor_of = BUR
}
OR = {
emperor = {
exists = yes
NOT = { war_with = FRA }
}
emperor = {
exists = no
}
}

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

I've had tens of thousands of Ottoman troops marching straight through my territory to harass the HRE, and I've always wondered why they're allowed to do that.

There are a couple of mechanisms that can lead to troops marching through your country without you having given them permission. If you give military access to a country that's at war, any other participants in that war will get conditional military access and will also be able to march through your lands. This means that if the Ottomans are at war with Genoa and Wallachia, and Hungary gives military access to Wallachia, then the Ottomans and Genoa will also be able to march through Hungary. However if the Ottomans are also in a different war with Karaman then Karaman would not be able to march through Hungary as the Ottomans only have conditional military access.

The other mechanism is that, while at war, the emperor gets military access through any imperial province. Combined with the previous rule this means that anyone at war with or against the emperor can also march through any imperial province.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

skasion posted:

How does the game decide who should get the chance to create Anglicanism? I know if one nation refuses it then another in the British Isles will get a shot at it, but how does it pick which one?

code:
trigger = {
		has_dlc = "Rule Britannia"
		is_religion_enabled = protestant
		is_lesser_in_union = no
		NOT = { has_country_flag = had_anglican_question }
		is_subject = no
		religion_years = { protestant = 15 }
		NOT = {
			is_religion_enabled = anglican
		}
		religion_group = christian
		is_defender_of_faith = no
		capital_scope = {
			region = british_isles_region
		}
		culture_group = british
		any_owned_province = {
			region = british_isles_region
			can_have_center_of_reformation_trigger = {
				RELIGION = anglican
			}
		}
		num_of_cities = 10
	}
	mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 120
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			has_country_modifier = "the_statue_in_restraint_of_appeals"
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.8
			tag = ENG
			NOT = {
				exists = GBR
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			tag = ENG
			exists = GBR
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.8
			tag = GBR
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2
			NOT = {
				owns_core_province = 236 # london
			}
		}
	}
So it looks like it's whichever eligible nation the event triggers for first. To be eligible you need to not be the Defender of the Faith, have British culture (not Irish), have at least 10 full provinces (not colonies), and your capital needs to be in the British Isles. To maximize your chances you want to have taken "The Statute in Restraint of Appeals", own London and be GBR (or ENG if GBR does not exist).

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Innovativeness ticks down if any of your neighbors are ahead of you in any technology. Many technologies you don't really care about and if you wait for a year you get -10% cost so you can grab that bonus to trade range later and save ~60 diplopoints. If you are grabbing tech ahead of time you get +20% production/trade bonus and Innovativeness ticking up till the tech is no longer ahead of time. But you have to pay +10% cost of tech, i.e. 60 monarch points per year, and you get just +0.005 Innovativeness per month, or 0.06 per year.

So if you for some reason play ineffectively and try to be ahead of time in all tech for some reason then Innovation makes this mistake not so dire. Even so it only compensate a fraction of what you lose.

I think I see one reason you are so down on Innovativeness. The bolded part is completely totally utterly wrong. As far as I can tell the only time other nations matter for Innovativeness is if you're trying to gain Innovativeness by being the first to take a certain tech/idea. Here's a screenshot from my current game:

I'm six years ahead in all the techs but as you can see I would only pay 55% extra for taking those techs. That's because I have neighbors ahead of me in all three tech areas. Despite that I'm not losing any Innovativeness, I'm gaining it. For being ahead in tech in all areas. You can even be horribly behind in two of the tech categories (which I have been in this game), as long as you are ahead in the third you don't actually lose Innovativeness.

In case anyone wonders, I gained that 25 Innovativeness by 1642 playing as Denmark entirely from events (and a bit of ticking up). I think the only time I've paid ahead of time penalty for a tech was one level of Military tech just before declaring my first war on Muscovy. Other than that I just try to tech up Mil in January whenever the ahead of time penalty goes away.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 29, 2018

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Also are the trade goods that are possible to get weighted at all (by terrain type or something maybe)?

It seems to be based on the terrain in the province as well as the region the province is part of. In the Trade Goods map mode you can mouse over the question mark in an uncolonised province to see what trade goods it can get:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

When shopping for a suitable vassal it's nice to know where they have cores you can reconquer for them. This is rather easy to find out for currently existing nations. Just click on one of their provinces while in diplomatic mode:

It's not so easy if you're looking to resurrect a dead tag. You have to click around on all the nearby provinces and look for the greyed out shield of the country in question. It can be hard to get a good overview and if the cores are not contiguous you're likely to miss a few.

Would it be possible to make it so that clicking on one of those greyed out shields put you in diplomatic map mode from their perspective? It would be a big help.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

New dev diary.

Looks like France is getting their battle thralls back.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I ended my independence guarantee with Ragusa in prep for invading them. There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window, but the game warns me that I'll get the truce-breaker penalties if I declare. Is the truce timer just in the background, or is the game glitching on me and I have a permanent truce with Ragusa?

You have a truce with them. I presume by "There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window" you mean that when you checked on Ragusa's diplomatic status you found they have no truce with you. That is correct. Breaking a guarantee creates a one sided truce. To see when the truce expires you need to look at your own diplomacy status, or just mouse over the truce alert at the top of the screeen:

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 15, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, the point of the High American tech group used to be that, like the Western tech group, they didn't have any penalty to tech. With the change to the institutions system that went away and I don't think they got anything in compensation.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Azhais posted:

Isn't high American still the same to slightly inferior at the end compared to European?

Assuming equal tech level, High American troops are the best in the game until tech 28 and equal with Western from there until the end of the game.

The problem is that not being in Europe they fall far behind in tech.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 11, 2019

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

More often than not, what happens to me when I'm playing in India is that a European power will buy a province required for me to complete an early mission, and I have to put the entire loving Indian mission tree on hold for a century while I build up power and the ability to fight a world war. Then I fight a clusterfuck of a war across the globe just so I can get a single lovely 6 dev province and immediately complete like 7 missions at once after I'm done since I've already met the conditions for all the other missions. This loving sucks.

That seems pointless for early missions. Get a claim on the province (though for missions you likely already have a permanent claim), declare a conquest war for the province, wait around for war score to tick up and Length of War to tick down enough for them to agree to hand the province over. You don't need an army strong enough to siege down Paris, you just need one that can defeat a naval landing.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

I wanted some land from a neighbor and they had allied a powerful rival but they had also made a neighboring opm a tributary so I attacked that instead. Crushed them and forced them to break up their alliance. Later they just reallied years before the truce with me was over. Warscore well spent on a meaningful option. :argh:

Sounds like someone got greedy with the peace treaty. When you force someone to Annul Treaties in a peace deal they can make no new treaties with that country for 10 years, so you want to keep the peace deal at <49% so you can attack them again before they can re-up the alliance.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

Is it possible to somehow start a game a Scandinavian country as a pirate republic? Since setting up for one would take an annoyingly long time.

Yes, you can choose Pirate Republic in the Custom Nation designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

One of the countries you have a royal marriage with used the Introduce New Heir button: