Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I haven't played since Mandate of Heaven, how's the game looking now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

God I’m getting uncomfortable just imagining setting that up and playing it

someone tried running a play by forums, it literally didnt finish teh first turn

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

which country's ideas are this?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

thinking of playing this for the first time since like mandate of heaven. is vanilla still the best way to play or are there mods to tie together some of the new systems they added? also are cradle of civ and/or dharma worth getting?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

what country's a good start for a returning player?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This is an old problem for me, but: what do you do when you bottom out your country? I started as Ethiopia, crushed the nearby rebels, took some provinces off my neighbors, beat the ensuing rebellion, but now I'm massively in debt, short on manpower, and have no army. Obviously it's best not to be in that place, but do you ever hit a point where you kinda have to twiddle your thumbs for a decade or more due to a shortage of manpower and money, and how do you climb out of that?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To be clear, I'm pretty safe right now since everyone else is too small to take me on and I have decent allies and vassals, but I can't do anything offensively.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If I'm doing a run as timurids-mughals, what ideas are good for them these days?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

That event can fire for you when you liberate your own cities too, and you have to make the choice to only loot and pillage your own 40 dev capitol a little bit.

early modern troops, of course, never plundered cities for no reason :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

speaking of seeding institutions, what should i be doing with that as timurids? its 1500 and ive just about finished my missions and am about to tag to mughals, it seems like my land is so massive and poor that seeding instiutions would take forever
(also i rolled 3/4 6 shock generals, ama)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

the ottomans are in the way

(also im bad)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thanks for the tips. Shoukd I kusy get it in one procince and pay or wait to spread? Seems like the spread would be real slow on a nation that big

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

As Dithmarschen England allied Friesland, can they be trusted to not do anything?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well in practice I was incredibly stupid and forgot France hadn't kicked them off the continent yet lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I started over as Hungary; whats the best way to open with them now? It seems like you have to rival Poland to get claims on the Balkans?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of the Ottomans I'm playing as Hungary and got off to a slow start because I'm bad rusty, now the Ottomans are a military powerhouse that I can't deal with. I've got Austria and PLC on my side and have defensive-econ-aristocratic so my individual armies are ok but I can't keep up with their numbers, they've got enough guns to waltz through forts, and my allies have terrible militaries. I think my next move is to gently caress up Italy but its kind of a mess. I'm deciding if I want to go admin or innovative or something else next- I skipped the Black Army stuff because I was poor when it came up but now I've got way more money than manpower; I don't know if they changed it so mercs are bad later on with the professionalism mechanic. Influence might be a decent pick since i got Moldova from an event and fed most of the parts of the Balkans I have to a vassal Bosnia

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ugh I am so mad. I got in a twenty year hellwar with France for the Spanish succession (Including a coalition of a third of the HRE and a DOTF war in the middle to liven things up); ground it out until I could finally smash their main armies then blitz through their weak interior forts to Spain and managed to wrest the union from them. Really fun but it ended up with me like 7000 ducks in debt (oh and over a million dead). No problem, got a good economy and mostly mercs, just pay off loans for a bit and then go nuts. Then my monarch dies a year later and without warning the union breaks and I can't even restore it if I wanted since they're on the other side of France. gently caress thus game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any tips on Novgorod? Their start is incredibly bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well i started as Hisn Kayfa instead and after a few false starts I have the Ottomans allied and a nice chunk of territory to start expanding from. Only problem is one of the provinces in Aleppo got snagged by a vassal of the Ottomans. Is there any way to wrest that out without breaking the alliance?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also what ideas are good for Hisn Kayfa?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

I'm playing them right now and I have Offensive, Diplo, and Humanist. Humanist is for fixing your religious unity and unrest situation as you expand into christian land to your north. I pretty much always take Diplo and Offensive anyway, but they have great policies with Humanist.

Is Diplomatic just for the warscore cost? I don't see a lot of viable allies other than Ottomans who ill have to backstab eventually

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool thanks for the tips. I took defensive first out of preference and I think ill toss admin in there somewhere to double up on coring costs. Also slacken recruiting standards seems incredibly busted?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Now that I have diplo ideas I underestimated how good being able to spy on all your neighbors at once is. Its 1586 and I'm like two big wars away from unifying Egypt and Arabia (as Hisn Kayfa); is Persia/ India or Africa the next best avenue for expansion? I'm gonna have to take on the Ottomans eventually for ~achievements~ so I'm gonna need a big power and money base since I probably cant get decent allies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

hosed up the timing of a war and had the Ottos turn on me but after a decade of tough fighting I not only beat them but also got the last province they were sitting on for the Saladin's Legacy achievement :toot: Now I've got the biggest empire and the best troops in the world and just need to see how far I can push this once I pay off a few loans and tech up a little. I've taken Defensive, Diplomatic, Administrative, Humanist, and started Trade and plan on picking up some more military ideas in case my space marines aren't good enough- I somehow have the best morale in the world plus like 60% professionalism and good manpower; though I need to start actually integrating artillery. Thinking I should form Persia or Mughals; either of those have good missions/events/achievements/etc? Probably gonna stick with my ideas

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

That's pretty impressive beating the Ottobois with just Defensive for military ideas. What was the strat? Are you playing with Lucky Nations on or off?

I might start going for Ironman achievements next. I'm feeling confident after succeeding with Najd and Georgia. Thinking Sweden would be a good challenge.

Lucky nations are on for achievements yeah; though idk how to check. Ottos had a slightly bigger military and a hell of a lot more artillery but I had a huge morale advantage sue to national ideas and army tradition and could get local superiority since their armies were trying to do a bunch of things at once

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah i might post my full map at the end but I've pushed down to the edge of the Bengal trades node and control most of the territory on the way. Out of curiosity; since I ran out of states to add and what I mostly want is the trade power; would it make more sense to turn India into vassals and clients and force transfer trade?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oh I haven't hit twice over state limit; just that I'm making more than double on trade than anything else

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also for a next playthrough are manchus or japan more interesting?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is damiyo->shogun a good shot? And forming Japan just makes you boring right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gently caress I was gonna do one last hellwar to gently caress up Spain, the only other serious global power, to wrap up the game and then wait a few years to 1820; and it was going perfectly until a year in I realized I hit humilate rival instead of imperialism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

can you convert to christianity as a damiyo/shogun without forming japan?