Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also, can confirm, drilling during wartime is a crazy enemy troop magnet, no matter how far into your fog of war you are, or how bad of an idea it is to march on your position. The AI will hone in on drilling troops with reckless abandon.

If I had to guess, it's probably something to do with them thinking they're troops that just lost a battle and assuming the AI behavior of chasing down retreating troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

tombom posted:

How common is it for colonial nations to break away? I don't play much and I'm not very good but I'm playing the Commonwealth and thought it'd be interesting in the end game to get at least some of them independent but you can't support independence because you're too far away. France's big USA analogue colony has been through 2 independence wars but they've been beaten each time - I tried to declare an independent war on France to help them 2nd time when I noticed but they peaced out before I could do anything. Just curious if they pretty much always stay subjects till the end of the game.

USA I only seem to see if I cause it to happen, but Brazil, Mexico, Haiti, and occasionally Columbia seem to pop out all the drat time on their own for me. It's annoying as hell because for some reason every single nation I attack will always decide it's of vital loving importance to ally Brazil and Iceland, thereby making them a giant pain in the rear end to 100%.

Anyway, if you want them to pop out, just destroy/conquer France on your own and they'll usually pull off the independence war on their own eventually, usually with some support from one of France's rivals.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

So I just got the "recently broke a promise to give land" thing even though I did actually give land. Did they make it so that you actually have to give the 'correct' amount of land in order to avoid this penalty?

Yes, you need to give out land proportional to war participation. If you hover over their flag in the peace deal screen, it should tell you how they feel about it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Brandenburg might be a good non-colonizing newbie country. At the least, it'll teach you about overextension.

The Pope might also be good, as long as you know ahead of time that the Italians are going to lose imperial protection in about 40-50 years.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Did they really warrant such a change? The Ottos are supposed to be the counterweight to Europe, even historically. And didn't they subjugate the Mamluks?

Europe has always been its own counterweight, they don't need the help.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

oddium posted:

the favor system sucks. they already agreed to ally me, let me immediately swing them around like a club to smash people way stronger than me

You can, all you have to do is (pretend to) have something in it for them (and then screw them in the peace anyway).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

This only ever worked for me when I waited until the rebels until I peaced out, which took a long time and costs me tons of points for my own WE. It's probably not worth doing with Ming. They just have too much money for mercs to implode to rebels these days.

This is how to do it. You can explode pretty much any nation like that, you just have to be really dedicated to it and tank the call for peace for a long time. Whether that's worth it is up to you, but I'd say with Ming it probably is since the cost of a ton of dip points/some WE is probably worth killing your biggest pain in the rear end on the map.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

Call to peace will only trigger if you've occupied the war goal so uh... just don't do that.

I thought it was just 66% warscore and 5 years.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

e: also, does a player pope really not get any say in who gets colonization rights? That’s lame. If I’m the pope and I want to reserve the whole new world for myself, I should be able to do it, dammit.

Iirc, the agreement was really between Spain and Portugal to divide colonization rights, and The Pope was more of just a neutral third party that approved it. The Papal states didn't really give a drat who colonized what personally.
It would be kind of cool if there was some system for countries to make treaties/agreements like that with each other, though. You know, without brutally murdering each other.

Fister Roboto posted:

They should add trade company regions to Europe.

They'd need bidirectional trade nodes first.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Firebatgyro posted:

People take quantity? first?

It's pretty vital in getting some weaker starts off the ground. Can't really expand too easily if your force limit is stuck at 10.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Developing provinces is fine if you have the extra MP sitting around anyway. It's also stupid not to if you have a gold province. Still better to wait until an institution spawns if possible so you can kill two birds with one stone and add some progress while increasing income.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Trying to do the Spain is the Emperor achievement after a couple of years on not playing.

The idea is to ally France, rival Portugal and England and declare England. Hopefully use France to win the war and take the two closest provinces to Navarra and whatever I can take from Portugal in order to make vassalizing it easier on following wars. Give nothing to France to curtail their expansion and give them a truce with England. After the Reconquista, punch France in the face.

Tell me how dumb that is.

France is going to rival you and probably declare war on you for taking their cores from England.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The other problem is that it's about a billion times more micro. Because nothing says fun like having to individually move like 7 different stacks in unison for every little conflict to avoid losing half your manpower pool to attrition.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Maybe take all you can but don't core it, wait for OE to take the rest, then release them? Or you could just wait for OE to peace out. If you control Constantinople, they shouldn't be able to take much, and then you can get what you want. Bonus points if length of war lets you vassalize them before that anyway, or the Mamluks or someone declare on them while their troops are busy standing around in Greece.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a 100% reliable way to be able to get religious rebels to spawn in a province, other than either having the exact same culture as that province or using the Dhimmi estate?

Putting a missionary there (and turning down maintenance to zero so it doesn't actually convert) makes it more likely I think.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cheen posted:

I guess they wern't able to get around to fix the merchant issue with trade companies?

1.24 Patch Notes posted:

- Strong trade company merchant bonus fixed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

Does patch break saves? Was in the middle of a game and would like to finish it. Though I also want to start a new one now :ohdear:

They said it's compatible, but I'd make a back up save just in case.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

If you conquer all of Japan as a daimyo, is there any point at all in keeping the shogunate government or should you just form Japan?

The opposite is true; never actually form Japan. You don't get to keep all your cool Shogunate bonuses like infinite vassals and free generals if you form Japan.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

At the moment I have no vassals at all so I don’t know if the bonuses from it are bad or good. Can I make new daimyos or did I gently caress up?

Any vassals you make should automatically become Daimyo. You really kind of want as many as possible, since the more you get the more force seppuku/general stealing you can do.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

You should form Japan, because not doing it is goofy gamey poo poo, and all good people will judge you. Same applies to the HRE vassal swarm.

Forming Japan just turns you into another boring feudal monarchy. Staying as a Shogunate gives you a bunch of Japan-specific mechanics that make the game more fun and unique. It's a waste to only use the shogunate for like 50 years with how cool it is.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Republics still seem to be in a very bad spot now, even when you can buy RT for mil points. It feels like my average ruler has lower stats, I have less diplo options and some of the events seem pretty harsh.

They're mostly balanced out by the fact that they don't have as many stab hits (it pretty much keeps you at +3 all game once you inevitably get there) as well as the consistency of never having to deal with 0/1/0 heirs/rulers (disinheriting has made this less of a problem, but it's still 50 prestige you'll never have to pay). Also don't discount the ability to choose where your ruler has their power and remember to reelect people of your RT is high enough. Also remember there's no reason not to roll your ruler as a free general, which can be really nice because eventually one is bound to roll really good stats.

Absolutism is a killer, though, and I think they could probably use a bit of a buff at this point to keep up with all the changes that have been made to make monarchies not as terrible.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Without the absolutism hit, I'd say they're balanced pretty well even with the buffs to monarchies. Before those buffs, I would pretty much always switch to a republic if it was at all practical because they were so obviously better.

I always got the impression that a Merchant Republic was kind of a gimmick thing that was could work early-mid game, but was intended that you collapse into a dictatorship when you really want to expand and dominate.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Box wine posted:

Anyone got any ideas on fixing this? Can't form Spain because there's some Islam in Iberia that I can't see. Haven't seen anyone else complain about this so guessing my game is hosed or I'm blind to an obvious problem.

Are the Azores Muslim? They count as Iberia.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Italy leaves the HRE around 1490 or so, so that should help. Venice can be a pretty difficult nation with all the powerful enemies at your gates, but it's also fun as hell because, as you've noticed, you get all of the money.

Early game is generally the first century or so, mid game around the next 150 years, and late game starts once you unlock imperialism (Diplo tech 23 iirc). Or at least that's how I always thought of it.

You should probably be at war as often as your nation can handle without falling apart. For some people, that's at all times. For others, that's every 10-15 years.

You're right to start out with non-ironman until you get a handle on the mechanics, imo. It really helps to not have to worry about knowing who gets dragged into what wars, what will completely ruin your economy, etc.Though once you get comfortable, you should probably restart with it on.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a way to see whether a nation would give my war enemies Military Access? To help my planning?

Asking because I just tried to flex my naval superiority at the Mamluks and was extremely surprised to find that the Ottomans (who I didn't think had that good an opinion of them) gave them a open road to my home provinces. I found this out when I discovered thousands of their troops on my land.

Check their opinions/attitudes toward each other. It can't tell you with 100% certainty, but things like hostile/rivals or friendly make it obvious. neutral will also probably give it to them. Also if the nation in question hates your guts, they'll pretty much always give your enemies access.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Ah. It was that last part that was the trouble. I also worked out that I can't give preferential military access. Which is too bad. A bunch of countries attacked a geographically isolated enemy whose massive ally (a rival of mine) was cut off by my lands. Both sides asked for military access and was surprised to discover that yes to one as yes to all. So I reloaded to see how it would look if I said no to everyone and things went much better for the side I was rooting for. They kept asking for access anyway and I kept refusing "trust me guys, I'm doing you a favour here."

It used to not work like this, but it turns out "My enemies who I can easily crush are just hiding in another country I can't get to, making everything take way longer and letting them jump out annoyingly at me any time" is really obnoxious when it happens to you.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Prav posted:

HAB is already in the game though

Please, we're only the Illuminati, not complete monsters :v:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finnish Flasher posted:

Are there any good eu4 lps on SA or paradox forums, or somewhere? I know there's a bunch on YouTube but Id rather read than watch videos

Most of them start in CK2.

The Byzantium one is particularly good though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I want to do an Austria HRE run but I'm not sure how to approach it. I've done Brandenburg and expanded the usual way by painting the map grey to make Mega Germany but I want to work within the mechanics of the HRE and expand that way. But how?

Strangle the Ottomans in the crib, that should give you a good amount of early IA and a nice power base. Only really attack HRE princes to force convert protestants (Religious is a must). Release as many princes as possible from other nations when possible. Make sure to really stamp down on the reformation and try to force everything catholic. At first, you'll lose a ton of IA from the reformation, but get through it and things will go back to normal.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 8, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What ideas should I choose?

Religious and Diplomatic are a must. You really need the Holy War/conversion strength to deal with the reformation, and Diplomacy is kind of your strongest weapon in an Austria game. I'd go defensive in terms of mil ideas because it kind of fits the position. Influence is also really useful for handling PUs and the like and helping more with diplomacy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Pretty sure it will be France, but wondering what they can do since the more interesting things for France are in the 18th century and nobody really plays that long. I still don't have that "occupy the capital of a nation that is the target of a revolution" achievement.
Austria or Castile might be other contenders. England seems less likely since they got their custom government already (lets ignore here that it's a poo poo one).

It's probably going to be Castille/Spain/possibly the rest of Iberia. They're pretty likely to be relevant in other campaigns, and a lot of the mechanics they'd get (colonization, etc) can probably be applied to other countries pretty easily, which are the main problems they stated with Third Rome. It also might help address some complaints about, say, Portugal never getting involved in India.

As a fan of British history, I'll still hold out hope for the EU4: Perfidious Albion expansion, though.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 11, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Affi posted:

So a Japan game! Do i play as shogun or a daimyo?

How fast do I realistically diplo annex all of Japan?

Im planning on going for the philippines and the new world.

Daimyo. Shogun is just waiting around until you can diplo annex enough of the daimyo to be safe/gain enough direct power, and they will never actually make a move against you because of a combination of the AI not being capable of understanding how it works and the Ashikaga being super ahistorically powerful. Daimyo starts are a brutal and cutthroat constant war for the first ~20-50 years, followed by being the shogun anyway.

Also as a reminder, do not form Japan and always have as many Daimyos around as possible.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Affi posted:

Can you create new daimyos? Like if I conquer land i don't want i can release it?

Why would I want a thousand daimyos? Is the vassal swarm that powerful?

Any vassal you have as a shogun is a Daimyo. You'll be shogun so long as you don't form Japan, which is a trap decision. You can steal generals from them, force seppuku on them for some bonus MP, and force them to contribute to the capital for more development. I think they also give some yearly prestige. They're really, really powerful, and the more you have, the better they get because that's all the more generals to pick from/seppuku you can force/etc.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xinder posted:

Coming off a game where I hosed up by getting too many strong vassals, is liberty desire a problem at all when you play in Japan? I've honestly never done a game there, myself.

Just keep them small, and they'll never really get much LD. No real need to feed them huge amounts of land, since in general you don't want to annex them anyway.

Affi posted:

Even new vassals in other lands? New world nations?

Yes, anyone. I felt it was my sworn duty to make the Knights Hospitaller a daimyo, as does anyone with good sense. Also they don't count towards the relation cap, so go feel free to go wild.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 18, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

Morale: Pretty much all that matters early game, still very important late game. It's pretty much "How long you can fight," and beating enemies by outlasting them definitely works. Probably the easiest to raise of all of these.

Discipline: How hard you hit. Starts getting better later in the game, especially if you can stack a ton of it. It's a lot of the reason Prussia punches so far above their weight. Focus on this if you want to turn your armies into blenders. Also increases tactics slightly, but usually not significantly.

Leader Fire/Shock: Makes your generals do more in the fire or shock phase of combat. Fire phase is useless early game, but gets critically important late game. Cavalry use shock, Cannons use fire, infantry depend on when in the game you are. Also worth noting that, as DDRJake is fond of saying, the fire phase comes first.

Leader Maneuver/Siege: Maneuver on generals makes them move a little faster and take less attrition. If you have more than your opponent's general, it also negates crossing penalties. Siege makes sieges go faster.

X Combat ability: Makes infantry/cavalry/artillery fight better. Not much else to it than that. If you have more cavalry combat ability, use more horses. If you have a bunch of artillery combat ability, run more cannons. This is especially good late game, when cannon is king. Infantry combat ability will make you fight better, but probably won't affect how you play much.

Tactics: Absolutely Critical. Gained almost entirely through mil tech levels. If one side has a tactics mil tech over the other, the numbers barely matter, it's going to be a slaughter.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What is the bridge point for jumping to the cape/from Africa? The south Indian country is huge pretty early, I'm looking to make it to the spice islands eventually in my Ethiopia game and it's hard to see where I can go to bridge the gap.

Hard to say, since India is so unpredictable that by the time you get there, pretty much anyone could be in charge. A no CB on the Maldives usually works, though, considering they're isolated as hell diplomatically, and I think they're usually within range. If Ceylon manages to stick around, they're pretty useful, too.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

There is some way around it because reman has a video where he made Ming a prince of the hre. You'd have to check his video for the details though

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to somehow put Ming's capital in Europe. You are a prince of the HRE if your capital is HRE territory, and only provinces in Europe can be added to the HRE. I haven't watched the video, though, so maybe there's some bug to add provinces outside of Europe somehow, in which case I think the strategy is conquer the capital province, add that province to the empire, return that province, then conquer whatever the new province is so the country's capital moves back to the old (now HRE territory) province.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Red Bones posted:

How worthwhile is spawning institutions rather than waiting for them to spread your way, if you're a long way from Europe (East Asia, Southeast Africa)?

IN terms of monarch points spent, I think it ends up about even, but by turbo-developing you also get a super good province out of it, so it's definitely worth it anyway.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

Then the age of revolutions was boring because the revolution started in the Crimean Khanate and they got crushed in a few years by Russia and the Ottomans.

Has anyone actually had a decent revolution happen? it always seems to spawn in the weakest countries (probably because the disaster requires low prestige for god knows what reason) and just get crushed in about a decade with no fanfare. Also I never seem to be able to get it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TaurusTorus posted:

I wonder if this will do anything to make AI England not the worst ally.

Why would they make the game less historically accurate :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

some extra dynamism in how the colonial revolutions go would be a very good thing IMO. who needs the USA to show up in its real world form every game

Especially considering any number of things from either side could have stopped the American Revolution from starting. I mean, the entire point of The Declaration of Independence was that the rest of the world wasn't even entirely sure they wanted to break away from Britain.