Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’ve found that by missing the last couple of expansions I can actually reduce my game time on this thing

Regardless, there are so many great ideas now stitched into the game now I can’t imagine EU5 taking that long to form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I think it’d be cool if there was a way to tell how old your generals are

I’d have also thought there would be a pop up with “automatically roll and attach general in the now ungeneraled army” button

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

That would add up to a lot of wasted mil points unless you're constantly at war

Oh I meant like click here and New general gets plopped onto the army, more as a helpful thing to new players rather than those experienced in balancing their points

I suppose at this point most players from now on arnt going to be new though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think the problem with estates for me is that they are just constantly arseholes, either demanding stuff or taking money/points away from you

Incorporating it into the base game might help, and may give you the feeling like the king of France when you finally subdue the Nobel estate

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

How is anyone going to afford those trade upgrades

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Forts still seem randomly buggy. I noticed a moment on a recent DDRJake stream when he was able to queue a movement through the zones of control of two different forts, and he just sorta did so without thinking about it. Then halfway through the movement he had to redirect, and was suddenly bound by the ZoC and almost got screwed over. No future movements could take that route. I was baffled at first as to why he was allowed to march through all of fortified spain, but I'm pretty sure it was just a bug (that I don't think he noticed or acknowledged).

The first move which I'm p sure is illegal: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=24m45s

And then he stopped mid-route and was unable to resume his previous route without turning around (going from Cuenca to Teruel with Toledo and Valencia forts still up) https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281536091?t=27m46s

Is there an explanation for this that I'm missing? Only one I can think of is that when he tried to move to Teruel again, he's shift-clicking from his previous roundabout move order, but I'm pretty sure he's trying to go there directly. At various points further in the video, he has to dodge around the Valencia fort in ways he didn't have to with that first move order.

Are they active at the time?
If they’re not paying for forts you can path through them as if they are normal provinces? Just don’t reset the path after they become activated

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Timurids also have a decision to offset liberty desire slightly

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’m going to laugh if all these last minute changes make the game unplayable so everyone has to buy EU5 like the thirsty beggars we are

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Estates reward those who are really into their min-max optimisations but don’t really add any enjoyment or engagement to the game for me, I’d rather there was an advisor you could hire that would interact or automatically control them, as would be more typical for the time period, with a gradual change in the countries modifiers as time when on if you were obviously gunning for war/ trade/ colonisation etc

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Did the update seriously improve the game engine? I’m sure it’s running much smoother and doesn’t crap itself when alt tab in and out of it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Moreau posted:

drat, this game is complicated!

Is there a solid guide to turning a profit? I struggle along with 2 or less ducats a month in peacetime, and when I go to war, I drop to -5 or so... after which its loan, loan, loan and I end up in an ever-worsening spiral.

Then I just need to figure out how to get institutions, tech and development which all seem to need the same resources.

And here I was thinking Portugal would be Portug-easy

Developing the hell out of a gold province will work wonders and is relatively easy to do, then you can get higher level advisors etc

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just did the where am I ? Achievement and my god...it was painful

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nothing better than unsieging your own fort taken by rebels, and getting the event to waste the city and it’s population ...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Various Meat Products posted:

You can just go into your install folder and delete the sounds you don't like.

Surely things cannot be so simple...

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Now I know the “release vassal, feed vassal , annex vassal, release and play as vassal “ trick I’ve finally completed the Mann achievement without having to pull out the last of my few hairs

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Isn’t there some pay as you go “all dlcs” thing going on?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I gather that it’s almost impossible to have a huge Asia empire without a capital in Europe/Africa to make trade companies thanks to the too many territories malus?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Eu3 updates you say?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

aqu posted:

I’m not sure what I’m more excited for: Emperor coming out or Reman making a new EU IV video after two years.

https://youtu.be/zWzIgBqcK3s

Lol that his bland vid on how to keep the empire Catholic got taken down for advocating sectarian violence

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Also I feel I push a lot more than I need to when collecting is probably just more lucrative

Huge production value in India doesn’t help you much if most of the money gets siphoned off or pushed to other nodes for example

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Karanas posted:

Man, playing as an OPM makes it really obvious how the AI does it's best to counter you personally in diplomacy. I'm playing a game as Dirthmarschen, and after taking 5 provinces or so, it's been an uphill battle trying to take more territory as every venue of expansion have formed alliances with major powers to cockblock me. East frisia and France? yup. Lauenburg and Bohemia? Of course! Wolgast and Austria? Longtime historical friends didn't you know? Bremen and Denmark? You betcha. Denmark and the loving Ottomans? Why would you possibly think otherwise?

It's been a very tiring game is what I'm saying.

It’s also a bit of a survivor bias type situation, if a tasty opm didn’t ally a huge neighbour they would have been eaten already

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tbh you could probably do minimal levels of expansion for the first 200 years and then explode and nab most achievements after absolutism, but it is more fun expanding with so many constraints put on you in the early game

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol aggressive expansion impact reduction for hordes , i’m sure that’s useful for all of 10 minutes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Alright in my Prussia game, Austria (currently my ally) has become impossibly huge, and is making expanding pretty difficult. Not only is he emperor, he's also defender of the faith and wants to defend catholic Lithuania. He has all of Austria, all of Hungary, and he won the Burgundian inheritance war and France never really happened, so he owns half of france and the low countries. I didn't realize forming Prussia would boot me out of the HRE (protestants lost the religious war so I lost my electorate). Is there any way I can re-join the HRE? My vassal (glogow) has HRE provinces.

Or is it time to break the alliance and make some new friends? Austria's rivals are Spain, Ottomans and Muscovy. Ottomans are friendly towards me, but they are slightly weaker than Austria, Muscovy is my ally but wants my provinces, Spain is friendly enough I guess. What's the best way to go about a big blob bust-up?

it’s a pain when that happens but once you take a couple of provinces to turn to vassals, ie hungary bohemia, you can rapidly reduce his size

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Detheros posted:

Anything in Malacca, Moluccas, and Philippines trade nodes can spawn it, also there's a province in India with it.

I was able to beat out the Europeans quite easily to those spots, however they could have been slow that game.

In other questions...Has the AI always been so aggressive in taking Defender of Faith? I swear someone loses it and it's taken immediately and being protestant it's annoying trying to conquer anthing when "France is the Defender of Faith" for like 70+ years.

yeah i’ve noticed they like to snatch it too just when their prestige just squeaks over your own

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

awesmoe posted:

is there a good single resource for how to get brokenly good at the game? basically I want to do a one faith run as najd but I'm not really sure how to get started optimally as a smaller nation. I know it involves loans and mercs and no-cbs and vassals but is there a go-to guide for the details?

lol good luck, i think one faith is basically impossible now unless you’re an expert due to how you need to juggle states , vassals and various modifiers and the huge cost of missionaries overall

you can do the exploit to delete every country except your own to do it though, probably more doable , or roll back to an earlier version

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

can’t wait for micro transactions to be introduced

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

Is the horde idea group the best in the game?

no that’s still maritime

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Uh, what? Legit curious why.

i was kidding but boat ideas are extremely helpful if you need to challenge naval minded opponents (especially if you choose the right policies), i often have naval in the late game

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

oh no it’s really fun raiding as pirates, especially if you start out tiny and punch well above your weight because of it

i hope it’s not a straight 100% raid defence

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you can take shockingly huge chunks of orthodox muscovite land and no one cares

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

Paradox is streaming a 20 year anniversary celebration thing. Also all the DLC is 50% off

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

lol if you just started playing today all the DLC comes to >$150

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

also half your troops drown if you even go near open sea, which the automatic ship pathing does frequently if you’re not paying attention

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

never yet got a marine, they should have made them like mercs so people might actually get to use them

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Poil posted:

Do vassals claim land from non-rivals you haven't marked? Don't they just sit idle if it's neither marked or rival?

they’re very passive, often it’s worth making sure they already have claims if you vassal them or even helping them out with a mission or two (check their little flag at the bottom of the mission page)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the limits on building feels like something which encourages wide rather than tall play, if you can afford to sink 2000 ducats into a single province rather than 500 across 4, why limit it?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s a bit silly because carpet sieging is a hangover of the early versions of the game which so happen to still bork the Ai when you do it, it shouldn’t really work the way it does

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Detheros posted:

I hate this mechanic so much but I'll admit it feels good to be on the giving end of it for once.

This also ignores the 250ish ducats and nearly 3k sailors I get from Great Britain, my sailors cap in that image is 5k, lol.

going full naval and maritime as carribean pirates is fun as hell too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just trying to get a sunset invasion going and i think i’ll need to completely change up my plan, i’m starting to think a colonist race is a fools errand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

What do you mean by colonist race? Because the Euros colonizing isn't a problem, it is extremely good news for you. They will settle stuff quicker than you ever possibly could by yourself, and it's trivial to strip all those provinces off their CNs.

blocking myself with taking both exploration and expansion, obvious in hindsight completely redundant ideas when i should have gone eco and probably naval