Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

Drilling seems like a stealth buff to the AI

Also worth mentioning that if you have armies drilling during wartime, keep an eye on them or the AI will beeline to them and completely wipe them out. I'm unsure if the AI actually has to deal with fog of war (gut feeling is no) since there are a couple of times I've been fighting like Oman or something and had them go straight to an army drilling up near the Caucasus which they shouldn't have normally had sight on.

This can also be exploited to lure the AI into traps they wouldn't otherwise normally fall for, for example keeping enemy stacks occupied while you murder their reinforcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Koramei posted:

They're supposed to act like they have to, even though since it's an AI they can obviously know everything at all times. There could have been other reasons for them rushing the Caucasus, like trying to get back past your main army on the front lines and annoy your rear or something, without realizing there was an army back there at all

Or it coulda been bugged out and they did see it, I dunno.

I actually went delving on the Paradox forums and found a dev post that seems to confirm that AI does not deal with fog of war - the example given was that it'd bug out if it went into FOW, saw an enemy army, retreated, then went "hey I don't see any army" and moved back next to the previous army, etc. Nothing that couldn't be accounted for (short term memory, decaying information, etc. is nothing new) but I get why they may not have bothered.

So yeah it seems that the AI just knows where your stuff is.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

I don't know if they changed this with the drill/professionalism stuff, but at least a couple patches ago, yes they were. And they were still more likely to randomly die during battle or siege.

If anyone was wondering about the math on this.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

Why can I fight for the right to automatically maximize my trade profits with someone else’s merchants, but I can’t click a button to automatically maximize my trade profits with my own merchants?

How quickly we've forgotten that it was an uphill battle just to get 'autosend merchants' implemented at all!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I kind of dislike the new missions system. The old system with its randomness wasn't perfect for sure but it also felt a lot less railroady.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 22, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

Any thoughts on how not to get your poo poo kicked in as England in the HYW? I’ve tried subduing Brittany first then Scotland - should I be returning Maine instead and biding my time until I can tag team with Allies? France just seems to get stronger and stronger as time goes on. Could you conceivably hit miltech 4 ahead of them?

I rando'd a near perfect England game right after the patch by allying Savoy, Aragon and Burgundy and having the Surrender of Maine fire while France was invading Brittany, so they backed down. Scotland is guaranteed by France and will otherwise leave you alone if you aren't getting stomped, so you can ignore them. Also Provence seems to get excommunicated early on a lot so that's an easy next door land grab you can take as well.

A lot of it is down to the RNG but it's actually a lot easier to pull off now than it used to be. I had them utterly broken before military 4 was even in sight.

Edit: nicking Brittany right off the bat isn't a terrible idea and stability is overrated anyways.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know how to actually rein in the Italians now? The new mechanics for the HRE don't provide any insight, but according to the Paradox forums there's a new "expand HRE" peace option you can get if you go the "Abandon Italy" path at least. No idea if there's a new CB or not - despite choosing to rein in the Italians I have no CB and it's also not at all spelled out what "reining in the Italians" actually involves.

I'm guessing it's vassalization/annexation like in the past but honestly who knows.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2020

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Just got the shadow kingdom event thing, how do you "rein in" anyone? I guess i've reined in the people i've allied with?

Some Italians (at least the Papacy) get an event to just join the HRE or not when the Shadow Kingdom fires, so that's one way. Presumably the other option(s) are the pre-expansion ones: vassalization, personal unions, or annexation. There's no real indication that allying or high relations is sufficient, though from experience states do need high relations with the emperor to click the 'join HRE' button on the interface, though that is separate from the event they get.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wish there was an AE planner so I could figure out ahead of time if I'd eat too much AE with my planned wargoals.

Would also be cool if coalitions map mode showed yearly AE reduction based on current modifiers & relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Playing the Angevins is fun once you reach the point where AE is just a number, because goddamn does the HRE hate me now

Are the Union parliamentary acts only doable via first pressing the decision button?

I was kind of miffed that I apparently let PU'd France get too big and had to figure out how to whittle them down to sub-25 provinces (aka integrate for like 40 years) to hit the button and quit out of frustration instead.