Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Poil posted:

edit
What is wrong with the colonialism institution? It's 1513 and I'm more than halfway to establishing a colonial nation and it still hasn't triggered. Is there a hidden modifier that also needs to be triggered before it spawns? Is the game rolling dice for provinces and if it rolls a province number that isn't eligible it doesn't spawn?

It's rolling dice for eligible provinces and it's only a 10% chance per province every year. If only two or three nations have taken Exploration, then there might only be handful of provinces that meet the conditions (12 dev, coastal, same area as capitol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You were given such a lovely gift by the mapgame gods. I, too, had tried a bunch of Karaman starts this week and finally said gently caress it and played AQ instead. Even if you can get some momentum going, you're totally screwed by your starting monarch and heir's garbage tier stats (a total of two monarch points between them) and end up two MIL tech levels behind.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Next expansion is an immersion pack for Aztecs. Sunset Invasion 2: Electric Boogaloo

calling it now

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

It's a missed opportunity to not have a cheevo for capturing Budapest as Gorkha.

I chuckled.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Poil posted:

Another question, is it possible to rearrange the order of things in the outliner? For example if I load the game with colonies they are usually at the top but if they all finish before a new one is started (colonist travel times) it disappears and ends up way down the bottom instead.

Remove the offending entries from the outliner and then add them again

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Asia should be subdivided into some major regions so that counties in Asia can make TCs in other parts of Asia. Its dumb that if your capital is in Somalia you can make TCs in India but if your capital is in China, Korea, or Japan you cant.

This. I'ts so silly that my spice island colonies only count as colonies if my capitol is in Europe or Africa.

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 4, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

So quick question from a relative newbie:

Currently in an earlyish game with Castile, having fun kicking Morocco's arse and starting the odd colony, have Navarra and Aragon in a PU through the Iberian Wedding, buddies with France. Now I've had the Burdgundian inheritance event drop, and I suddenly have all this land around Holland and Belgium and I don't know what the gently caress to do with it. Am I supposed to haul a proportion of my standing army over there to stop random assholes trying to take it, or should I be looking at releasing that land as a vassal (if that's even an option).

I'm just really not sure what to do with it. I suspect France would happily jump in if anyone declares on me, but I'm just vaguely anxious about this whole strip of provinces on France's eastern border that I'd have to sail round Europe to even move some troops to.

You're one of the most powerful nations in Europe at this point and no one along that border is going to mess with you. As long as France is friendly you have nothing to worry about. If you have extra favors to spend, use them to boost France's trust so that they stay that way.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

If you're powergaming for a world conquest, you'll want to stack stability cost for all the truce breaking you have to do.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

this is gonna be a good game

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Seems like you need to play more.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Any thoughts on ideas to pick as Granada/Andalusia? I already have Offensive and now I'm looking at Religious since I need to convert some provinces for missions but part of me feels like it's a trap choice.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Andalusia also gets claims on everything from Granada to Provence so the CB isn't that important early.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

mil is the worst mana

fight me

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Try putting the kebabs in your mouth and the navies in your butthole. If that doesn't work, switch them and try again.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

So does Ming just automatically melt down now? In my Manchu game they started losing territory to rebels as early as 1460.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

What determines which countries go to war over a PU? France and I are rivaling Great Britain and I have higher development, prestige, and score, but it still says France will get the PU war.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Average Bear posted:

Budgetmonk did it

sucks to be him then

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I just want to know when they'll remove that loving Sack of [City name] event that gives you 50 devastation in a province you're trying to take. Or in your own province you just took back from rebels.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Groke posted:

Simple version: Take up a bunch of loans, use the cash to build a bunch of buildings, soon as they're done declare bankruptcy? Make sure you've got truces with any nearby dangerous powers, and so on. Bankruptcy means a total wipeout of monarch power, legitimacy etc. and five years of better not getting into any wars or major rebel problems, or doing much of anything, but after that you're debt-free and good to go...

Declaring bankruptcy removes any buildings built in the last 5 years

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You can just go into your install folder and delete the sounds you don't like.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Can you replace them with the Tim Allen grunt.

I don't see why not...

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really enjoy EU4 streamer JustBlazin. He’s just super-soft spoken and positive about everything and plays good tracks instead of the game’s audio. I fall asleep to him sometimes.

I've been watching him too, actually. I have no idea how the dude plays EU4 at a high level while constantly taking bong rips :2bong:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Tbh I have no idea how you play EU4 without constantly taking bong rips

:eyepop:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Dreissi posted:

That’s a pretty cool idea. As they stand now, human players really don’t feel squeezed as hard as they should.

One other thing I’d love to see is some interaction with your troops or their clans to take the place of horde unity, if they did get rid of it.

I never got into CK 2 enough: did Horse Lords do this well at all?

In CK2 you have to have a number of minor clans as vassals, and just like anyone else in CK2, you have to keep them happy or risk revolts. You're also encouraged to eventually pick a place to settle and move towards feudalism.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Yeah, you can totally stay nomads and be strong. But I find it's more rewarding to pick a nice spot and feudalize since you get steady income instead of having to constantly raid and pillage and fight tributary wars. But I like feudal games best so maybe that's just my lovely opinion.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Ardabil is surprisingly strong for an OPM, can form Persia
Kaffa starts with a gold mine and can expand rapidly
Taungu has a fully unique mission tree and a challenging achievement to shoot for

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

1) You should just bite the bullet and dev for institutions. 2) In my recent Ethiopia game the Ottomans weren't really a big deal. By the time you chew through the Mamluks and get a border with them you should have accumulated enough power to challenge them without too much issue assuming you've been expanding in all directions. Try to get an alliance with Spain or Poland or whoever hates them.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Also what ideas are good for Hisn Kayfa?

I'm playing them right now and I have Offensive, Diplo, and Humanist. Humanist is for fixing your religious unity and unrest situation as you expand into christian land to your north. I pretty much always take Diplo and Offensive anyway, but they have great policies with Humanist.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Your primary culture is Kurdish so all of Persia is in your culture group

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

That's pretty impressive beating the Ottobois with just Defensive for military ideas. What was the strat? Are you playing with Lucky Nations on or off?

I might start going for Ironman achievements next. I'm feeling confident after succeeding with Najd and Georgia. Thinking Sweden would be a good challenge.

Honestly the Ottomans aren't as unstoppable as a lot of people seem to think. Their biggest asset is their massive economy and manpower pool that allows them to throw unending waves of troops at you... however, it's sieges that win wars, and the AI is actually pretty standoffish when it comes to engaging in battles. So you want to fight them as little as possible, and as long as you move your armies around in stacks that are big enough to deter them from attacking you, it's not that hard to siege them down faster than they can siege you. Also, Hisn Kayfa in particular has very good military NIs so they really don't need to be ahead in Mil idea groups to reach parity. Just be ready to spend lots of Military MP on rerolling generals and artillery barraging forts.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

oddium posted:

whenever a war isn't happening the player should be asking, how can i get in a war as soon as possible?? this is my eu4 advice

ABC (Always Be Conquering)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

From a dev diary in June. Looks like the Ottomans actually have more forts than before :v:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

There's like four dev diaries worth of HRE changes

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Any one of the small countries that can form Malacca is a good choice. You'll be pretty even at the beginning and once you take over the whole node you'll be making enough dough to take on Ming.

I'm guessing you mean Malaya

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

timurids collapse all the time

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Because i have nothing better to do, i just checked my last 20 games that i played further than 1500, and the Timurids collapsed in 10 of them, and had varying degrees of success in the rest. Hardly the "most consistent"
:thunk:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Now I have a royal marriage with a country that.. doesnt exist? Brittany was full annexed like 15 years ago but i have a RM with them still

Do they have exploration ideas? They might have been exiled to a colony somewhere.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

They added a Court Tutor honorary title that will automatically make education choices for children in your court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Tutor just becomes the default educator instead of the player character. You can manually assign yourself or whoever you want to educate your kids.