Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ugh so many good shows I haven't gotten around to yet. And so many shows from last year's list were good this year but may not be in my top 10 because they weren't as surprising or fresh as they were last year (Stranger Things was my #1 last year but didn't stand out as much this year). Patriot, Twin Peaks and Legion are in my top 5 for sure. I loved Leftovers but I also binged all 3 seasons in a row for the first time so I'm not sure I can separate this year's from the rest.

Off the top of my head and from your reminder lists, note to self to refer to later when I get back to this in a month, in no particular order: stranger things, mr robot, good place, survivor, travelers, lucifer, american gods, patriot, tick, twin peaks, legion, orville, discovery, leftovers, brooklyn 99, dirk gently, mindhunter, punisher, glow, sense8 & a handful of others to try to watch yet.

Expanse season 2 isn't streaming anywhere yet is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm trying to get this in while I have time so forgive my overuse of "was great".

Shows I didn't get around to in time for this that might have made the list: Sense8, Mindhunter, Travelers, Dirk Gently (now cancelled?)

Honorable Mention:

Survivor - I'm still watching every episode with Grandpa but neither of us like the show's focus on issues lately. Not at all to disparage the people involved or their very real experiences, it just feels crass that Survivor is spending so much focus on it for their own benefit. I guess I agree the issues could use some spotlighting (ptsd, family deaths, trans issues, working mothers), but spending so much time on it in the editing doesn't sit right with us. It's like the difference between characters in a tv show eating Subway without comment and those same characters turning to the camera and saying "Man this Subway sandwich is so delicious" "I think I'll run out and get a tasty Subway sandwich of my own!". That said, Dish TV cancelled CBS for a few days in contract disputes so Grandpa decided we'd watch Jack and Ozzy Osbourne travel the US so I got a whole new appreciation for Survivor again.

Stranger Things - It had its moments, I really wanted to like this (see my avatar), but the new season just didn't click with me. The bits that felt like testing the waters for an x-men/gifted spinoff didn't help but that wasn't all of it.

Agents of Shield - It is still good and a show I look forward to. As someone said breaking the season up into smaller story arcs helped a lot.

Runaways - love the music and most of the actors, they are doing a great job with it but 8 episodes in not much running away has happened. Like if season 1 of Lost was just the flashbacks and then the season finale cliffhanger is they crash on the island. But I read the comics so that is coloring my experience. And the season isn't over yet.

American Gods - I liked it, both the main plot and the coming to america stories but it is taking too long getting through the book and now Fuller's gone (asked for too big a budget?) I'll watch season 2 but Fuller needs to figure out what he's doing wrong with all these shows where either he or the show are kaput after too short a time.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Rachel Brosnahan and Tony Shalhoub are great. The show looks amazing and is funny. I watched this after all the goon praise and it lived up to the hype.

Top Ten
10 Happy
Sorry Midge but I gotta give #10 to Happy after watching the latest episode with the real housewives knockoff, the show is hosed up and fun and Stabler is having a blast.

9 The Good Place
This alongside Lucifer is my "I'm surprised these are on tv with no noticable outcry" shows, remembering the 80s and 90s. Wonderful casts especially Ted Danson and Tom Ellis. The Good Place is funny and touching and often surprising, and keeps moving at a fast pace especially this season. Lucifer is much better than it has a right to be. It manages to be a "will they wont they buddy cop show focusing on someone with special gifts" of which there are a million and change on tv in the last few years, while also adding in a surprising amount of mythology. Borrowing very very lightly from the DC comics, which were a spinoff of Neil Gaiman's take on the character in Sandman, I didn't expect it would be at all watchable for anyone, let alone that I'd still be enjoying it several seasons later. Good Place on the other hand is by the Office/Parks and Rec/Brooklyn 99 guy so no surprise there that it's great, other than that he is making the premise work. Move over Siri, Cortana and Alexa, here comes Janet. "Hi there!" To edit down to one show per entry, I dumped Lucifer since it is a procedural at heart while Good Place is trying something new.

8 The Tick
One of my favorite characters, this show definitely does him justice. I think they only held back episodes 7-12 so this could be on next year's TVIVer poll as well. Pretty sure that came up in a meeting at amazon. Peter Serafinowicz embodies the big blue one, and Miss Lint is a standout. Fun show and there needs to be more of it.

7 The Punisher
The only really enjoyable Netflix Marvel this year. I didn't like Jon Bernthal in Walking Dead but he killed it here. It's probably my favorite Netflix Marvel overall, though Daredevil season 1 is close. Microchip and his family were great and humanized him and the show. I hope they add Rachel Cole-Alves for season 2 or 3. Also Netflix needs to do Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) and Moon Knight while they are at it.

6 The Leftovers
I watched all three seasons on HBO Go in the week leading up to the finale so it is hard to separate out season 3. 2 was my favorite but 3 was good too and the ending sat right with me. It could have used more episodes. Another show that aired early enough in the year that it's hard to talk about. It had that Lost feel due to Lindelof and some intense moments. Honorable shoutout to Bates Motel due to Carlton Cuse. I only watched Bates for the office water cooler, but Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga were crazy good actors and it might have made my list if not for some odd choices. The office followed Highmore on to The Good Doctor but I'm passing on that one.

5 The Orville
Together with ST:Discovery these two shows gave me the perfect weekly Star Trek fix. Discovery is a bit too far up its own butt, and Orville is a bit too far in the other direction. I'd get rid of Malloy and LaMarr for being too cartoony (though they did better later in the season) and replace them with Saru and Anthony Rapp from Discovery. Or get rid of all things Klingon in Discovery and replace them with the Krill. Discovery might get better in retrospect, depending on if any of the fan theorized twists come about and where they are going with the show but right now it doesn't make the list on its own. Orville is just fun and great to watch. It's also the only show I brought for one of my friends to try to get them to watch that they actually watched and enjoyed (they were bored by Person of Interest and Mr Robot, and refused entirely to watch Legion).

4 Mr Robot
I love shows that build suspense with a certain vibe and music. This show, Rubicon, Carnivale's "Black Blizzard" episode, the movie Take Shelter, BSG's "Are You Alive?". Toeing the line of insanity. I liked season 2, even (especially) the stuff with Angela and the kid, but recognized the issues with it and why it would turn some people off. This is definitely one of my favorite shows of the 201x's though, mostly thanks to Rami Malek though the rest of the cast are on point as well. I'm one who didn't like the endings to BSG and Lost and had them color the rest of the show for me, so I'm curious to see how this show plays out. Bobby Canavale was a great addition this year.

3 Patriot
It has been a while since I watched this but it had me captivated. I wish I'd made some notes for this back then. The hunting expedition episode was great. I love shows where I can watch the theme song credits to get into the right mood for it and "Train Song" definitely worked for that.

2 Twin Peaks
Enthralling. We got a lot more answers than I expected and I was mostly happy with it as long as I disregard the last episode as Lynch loving with people. It was great seeing all the characters again. Gordon Cole and Albert were a highlight and should be in every FBI scene on tv (X-Files, Travelers and so on), RIP Miguel Ferrer. I had to rewatch episode 8 a couple of times.

1 Legion
X-Men on acid. I rewatched the first episode a bunch of times that first week and hoped to have the blu-ray to watch by now but for some reason there's no region 1 release date yet. Aubrey Plaza was brilliant but she did take me out of it a bit since I'd watched so much Parks and Rec. I'm really looking forward to seeing what season 2 brings. As with Mr Robot I love the mixture of suspense and how crazy are they with "head" characters and protagonists slowly (or quickly) losing or regaining their minds. Some of my favorite shows ever have that, from Farscape's Crichton and Scorpius to Head Six in BSG and Mr Robot today.

There were some great music in tv moments I watched this year that resonated with me and came to mind as I thought about this list. Gert's Lullaby in Leftovers, the cricket song in Legion, Ruelle's Take It All during the Leftovers drive to Texas (season 2). I'm sure there were more but I need to submit reply now because if I lose all this to the power going out or something I'm not retyping anything.

edit: cleaned up a bit, hope this works, if not I'll edit again to remove mention at all of the double shows in the entries.

bagrada fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 05:58

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Updated my list as Happy just jumped on at #10. Might climb higher if there are more episodes before the Poll ends.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I enjoyed reading your list on the previous page, but you need to edit it, or the organizers won't count any of it.

Will do, thanks.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Rarity posted:

It may have been a quiet year for Game of Thrones this year but it did pick up one accolade that deserves recognising. Thanks to this year's poll Game of Thrones is now the only show to appear in every single TVIV Poll since we started six years ago. And in all that time it's near placed lower than #23. That's one hell of an achievement.

Too bad it will miss this year since it's not airing until next.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Oh man, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but this might be the first year I've actually seen everything in the top 10.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I can't stop rewatching the Legion bolero sequence from episode 7 on youtube. Good stuff.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for your efforts Rarity, this was fun.

And I guess I need to get around to watching Better Call Saul, there was a top 10 I hadn't seen after all. Maybe after I get through Breaking Bad.... I watched season 1 from netflix dvd back in the day but haven't gotten back to it yet. Meanwhile I think my father is on his fourth pass through a Breaking Bad Marathon. He was genuinely torn because they ran BB and GOT marathons at the same time a few weeks ago.

Good Place is amazing but I'm curious how long they can keep it up. And Danson and D'Arcy Carden (Janet) are on a league above the rest of the cast, who aren't as good as the P&R and B99 casts characters imho. Though to be fair they are restrained a bit by story necessities.

edit: I meant characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

This way was good so each show in the top 20 gets a brief time for comments.

• Locked thread