Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

The Magicians was in tenth place but I just watched the first four episodes of Happy! and I had to change my vote. The first season of The Magicians was absolute garbage that no one should watch. The second season was pretty great. It's really dumb, but if you enjoy the genre of "idiots loving everything up" then you'll love it. It's basically what would happen if, instead of pure-hearted children, the humans who came to save Narnia were a bunch of terrible adults.

10. Happy!
Detective Stabler from SVU turned up to 11, kicked off the force, and now he's a hitman. He's got the same approach to alcohol, drugs and violence as Sterling Archer, and the same apparent inability to die from any of them (which he openly acknowledges). He's also got a tiny blue unicorn hassling him to save some girl, and the entire world is horrendously hosed up. It's brutally violent, it's weird and disturbing, it's very funny.

9. The Tick
I was worried I wasn't going to like this because of how much I liked the old live-action series with Patrick Warburton, but Peter Serafinowicz is great and this show is great. The only real problem with it is that they broke the series up into two halves and won't give us the second half till next year.

8. The Expanse
I'm not as big a fan of this as some people, but it is really good. I haven't read the books and I'm a bit worried that the space-magic stuff might overtake the more human/political aspect of the plot, but so far it's kept on the right side of that.

7. Gotham
Everyone seems to hate this show and I don't really know why. It's great. It's the Batman setting but before Batman, so it's still got all the crazy, over-the-top personalities but no Batman to get in their way. I normally don't like origin stories because they're just telling me things I already know instead of giving me a new story, but this is how you do an origin story right - by fully committing to it instead of jamming it into the middle of your "main plot".

6. Riverdale
This show is actually pretty similar to Gotham, just without so much violence. It's still got the over-the-top characters and the extreme drama. There's also a podcast called Sex Archie that recaps every episode and is great.

5. WWE NXT
Wrestling is like a super-hero soap opera with cool stunts performed live, and NXT is the best WWE show. It's so much better than the "proper" WWE shows it's ridiculous. My favourites at the moment are Billie K and Peyton Royce, because the men's division is kind of bland right now and the tag teams don't really have much of a story going on. The big problem with the show is that the best characters inevitably get promoted to the other shows, so you get periods where they have to build things back up from basically nothing.

4. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
I like the books, I like the first TV adaption, and I like this version. And none of them really have anything to do with each other, they just slapped the name on completely unrelated ideas. This is a show about bumbling idiots who just happen to be in the right place at the right time for a bunch of apparent coincidences to set things up so that they somehow win. It's hilarious.

3. Lemony Snicketís A Series of Unfortunate Events
I've never read the books, but this show has made me tempted to. Patrick Warburton is great and his narration is the best part of this show. But the rest of it's great too. It's got this faux-grim tone that really appeals to me, where the bad things happening are played up to such a degree that it's impossible to take them seriously, and even though the narrator is telling you constantly that it's not going to work out well for the protagonists in the end you still kind of don't believe him and are surprised when things go badly.

2. The Good Place
This show doesn't sound very good and I think it's pretty much impossible to sell it effectively. It's a sitcom about a bad person who accidentally ends up in heaven when she dies, but it's actually so much better than that. I'd say that if you haven't seen it you should watch an episode or two. If you're not sold, read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia and see if you think it's worth giving it another shot.

1. 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown
Jimmy Carr is really funny and I love comedy panel shows, and I like playing along. I'd never watch the normal, non-comedy version of the show, but it's a great format for giving comedians something to do while they interact on TV. If you like comedy panel shows you should give this one a shot because it's one of the best.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

I just watched the first four episodes of Happy! so I had to change my vote. The Magicians is out, Happy! is in.

• Locked thread