Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Two honorable mentions: Search Party and The Good Place
In a way it's a good thing that I ran out of room on my Top 10 for both of these two, because it would be hard to pick one over the other. Both are that rare breed of comedy that actually has a compelling and suspenseful serialized narrative. Hope both of them get season 3s, and would recommend either to anyone who likes one and hasn't seen the other.

10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
It's been following the 30 Rock formula "throw 100 jokes at the wall per minute and at least one will hit" for a while now, with the added benefit of characters I sort of care about.

9. Stranger Things
I don't think the second season had as many iconic scenes as the first, but it's still a very beautiful and haunting show.

8. Difficult People
The only Hulu original I've ever enjoyed, and it's a crime that this was the last season. Can't wait to see what Julie Klausner does next.

7. Crazy Ex Girlfriend
A really fun show, even if I think season 3 is a little weaker than 1 and 2. Not much to say that hasn't already been said.

6. Better Call Saul
Season 3 was probably the best season yet, and the last few episodes were just about as exciting and riveting as Breaking Bad was at its best.

5. Dear White People
Probably the most underrated Netflix original out there. Interweaving plots and perspectives of the different characters across multiple episodes is a hard thing to pull off, and Dear White People nailed it right out of the gate.

4. Master of None
I'm not sure if Season 2 quite reached the highs of Season 1, but it certainly came very close.

3. The Leftovers
I only discovered this show earlier this year right after the third season aired, and I think I got lucky. Being able to marathon everything at a rapid pace was super addictive and might be the best way to watch this Lost spiritual successor.

2. Halt and Catch Fire
I ALSO only discovered this show earlier this year, and it's really something special. It's funny that the (admittedly shaky) first season was considered a bad Mad Men copycat, since I think the show ended up being a much better version of what Mad Men tried to be-- a super earnest character study set in a very distinctive and compelling time period. It helps that the characters are much more likeable and the show doesn't mind embracing campy earnestness every now and then.

1. Survivor
The past two seasons were the weakest back-to-back seasons in several years, so I almost considered knocking it down a few spots but that would feel dishonest. It was still the show I was most excited to watch each week, and is still the show on this list I would most easily recommend to pretty much anyone who hasn't seen it. Riveting, exciting, funny, and just about every adjective you can use to describe good TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread