Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

10. Rick and Morty Season 3: Great opening episode, not a show for everyone but I enjoy the humor. Can't say I like the overall fanbase but just me, in my head, I enjoy it. 97 MORE SEAONS, RICK AND MORTY.

9. The Magicians Season 2: I don't know why I like this show. Presumably this show operates on actual magic because I can't figure out why this appeals to me. It's like Harry Potter but the gently caress, and they're hosed up college kids. Olivia Dudley is really nice to look at. I don't know what the gently caress but I enjoy the hell out of this.

8. 13 Reasons Why: While there were some things about this series that I thought could have been done better, like how they portray high school kids, overall I thought this was a great, if disturbing series. The format of using the tapes was an interesting storytelling tool and the suicide scene was horrific. The very ending where they all sail off into the sunset in the perfect mustang was dumb.

7. 12 Monkeys Season 3: Back on the time travel kick, the 3rd season of 12 Monkeys was the best so far. Cole and Cassie end up being the parents of The Witness, played by James Callis. As The Witness is chased thru time, allegiances turn multiple times before finally showing us who The Witness really is, assuming the final season doesn't throw another curveball. Alisen Down takes the role of Olivia to the next level. Emily Hampshire somehow manages to take Jennifer Goins, already an 11 on the crazy scale, to a 12.

6. Ozark Season 1: Something like Breaking Bad, just with money laundering instead of meth. Manages to make some serious suspense out of an unusual scenario.

5. Halt and Catch Fire Season 4: As others have said, the best show nobody watched. The last season took us thru a pretty large timeframe and had a pretty heavy focus on Cameron and Donna. We've watched Cameron, Donna, Gordon, and Joe reverse the IBM BIOS, invent one of the first prototype laptops, create the an online marketplace well before its time, and finally invent the internet and a search engine. All 4 seasons are great and they managed to stick the landing perfectly. Donna and Gordon's daughter shows up in the 4th season and brings her A game with a performance worthy of the show.

4. Agents of Shield Season 4: It's a drat shame so many people dropped off this show before The Winter Soldier landed. From that point on, this show has been amazing. Season 4 brings in the Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider Mac, Ghost Rider Coulson, LMDs, the matrix. If Fitz had his father in his life, he would have been a Nazi. Turns out Ward is a traitor no matter what side he's on.

3. Legends of Tomorrow Season 2: Yeah, S1 was eh at best. But season 2 put together the Legion of Doom and leaned hard into the comic book cheese. As soon as the show accepted itself for what it really was it went from eh to amazing. Season 3 has largely kept up and was also part of the 4 way Crisis on Earth X Arrowverse crossover that was legit better than Justice League.

2. The Orville: Even when this was just a promo on youtube and everyone expected Family Guy in space I had a feeling this was going to be good. Specifically because MacFarlane is a known Star Trek fan. He absolutely nailed the TNG feel while balancing the humor. The character of Bortus is used perfectly. "YOU WILL BE SILENT!"

1. Travelers Season 2: Nearly extinct humanity sends consciousness back to the 21st century using a quantum AI called The Director. It scratches the Continuum itch for me. If you've already seen the first season, the 2nd just hit Netflix on the 26th. If the first few minutes of the first episode don't have you hooked then I don't know what to tell you. If time travel is your thing, it doesn't get much smarter than this.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, folks, I planned to do this earlier, but then I got sick. Let’s just dive in.

10.) The Orville (FOX)

“YOU WILL BE SILENT.” -Bortus

I will be god damned.

After what was easily one of the worst pilots I’d ever seen, Seth MacFarlane’s loving tribute to Star Trek started righting itself almost immediately, getting more confident in its dramatic and science-fiction chops without losing touch with its light-hearted nature that keeps it grounded and interesting for jamokes like me. Gene Roddenberry’s heroes always felt like important people doing important work. MacFarlane’s heroes are just people, smart and dumb in their own ways, constantly struggling with their own stupid issues yet managing to make a difference anyway.

The result is a season that started with one bad episode and then delivered four fantastic episodes (“If the Stars Should Appear,” “Krill,” “Into the Fold,” and “Firestorm”) in a season otherwise filled with passionate, optimistic, and highly entertaining near-misses. And I think that’s the theme of my list this year: Passion and heart went a long way for me in this lovely year.

I'm 100% convinced the pilot was written and cut specifically to show to Fox execs and puppetmaster them into thinking they were getting Family Guy in SPAAAACE and an automatic green light.

• Locked thread