Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, we are back for another exciting year of televisual delights. With more content providers than ever before being determined to hurl short bursts of audio/video productions down our eyeballs we are set for perhaps the widest open field TV IV has ever seen. The absence of Westworld this year leaves a gaping hole at the top of the rankings and all the contenders want to taste that prize. Are you excited? I'm excited. But only because I know the Leftovers is going to do terribly (bank it). That's right, join myself and Toxx as we take you on this wild journey to celebrate the year that superhero TV fell off a cliff, the year that Jaden Smith made an anime, the year that all your favourite actors turned out to be sex fiends.

Join us to celebrate the year that was 2017!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

1) Every item on each person's top ten list must have aired in part or in full in the calendar year 2016.

WARNING: YOU CAN AND WILL BE SPOILED ABOUT ANY SHOW THAT'S AIRED IN 2016. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Repeating again: 10 IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE SHOW, ASCENDING IN FAVORITISM TO 1 BEING YOUR FAVORITE SHOW OF 2016.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

bagrada posted:

Expanse season 2 isn't streaming anywhere yet is it?

Pretty sure it's on UK Netflix, can't say for US.

I've been keeping a copy of my list on the go for about 4 months now, there's been that much good TV this year that I've had to make sure I remember everything.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Zaggitz posted:

I got a new job at the tail end of last year and 2017 itself has been so goddamn chockful of long rear end video games that I barely had time to watch TVs. I haven't even watched ten shows this year!! This will probably be my first year not submitting a list as a result.

But I hope Crazy Ex GIrlfriend and Vice Principals do well!!!!

What kinda pansy attitude is this, there's still 6 weeks of 2017 to go. Plenty of time to start a binge

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

My planned list is in ruins.

RUINS

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

IRQ posted:

I saw en episode of Black Mirror once. It was british af.

Dude, watch Black Mirror

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

IRQ posted:

Does it get less british?

Yes. Season 3 especially cause of moving to Netflix

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Black Mirror is a good show but people still talking about it like it's as good as it was pre-netflix IRKS me

Season 3's hit to miss ratio was on par with the first 2 seasons for me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

I was waiting for Black Mirror.

It's not even making the list

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Godammit I've been sick so no time for detailed praise this year.

10. You're The Worst - because they made a scene with a teenage guy eating dog food in exchange for a blowjob funny

9. Game of Thrones - The battles were badass and there were some lovely resolutions for Jaime/Theon's character arcs

8. The Deuce - Really well written and really well acted

7. GLOW - My two favourite things in the world are wrestling and female empowerment so this was right up my street

6. Orphan Black - Did a great job tying together a sprawling series and gave all the sestras a chance to shine along with a happy ending

5. The Good Place - Balls to the wall pacing and ridiculously funny

4. Future Man - High concept comedy with great execution

3. gently caress Scientology - Deeply moving and a fascinating insight into cult psychology

2. Mr. Robot - Another great season from the best drama on TV

1. American Vandal - the best mockumentary of the year, the best serious crime fiction of the year and the best coming-of-age story of the year all rolled into one

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

All right folks I'm gonna officially close voting when I wake up tomorrow at 6am GMT so this is your last chance to get your votes. There's only 4 points separating the shows ranked #2 - #4 and only 4 points separating the shows ranked #7 - #10 so your list could make all the difference

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Gluten Freeman posted:

Oh man, I ran out of time trying to watch shows I hadn't caught yet! I'm just gonna put my list up, will edit in justifications if I get the chance later.

10. The Crown
9. Glow
8. Handmaid’s tale
7. Glitch
6. Godless
5. American Vandal
4. Legion
3. Mr Robot
2. The Good Place
1. Big Little Lies

I'm afraid I'm going to need those justifications in by deadline if you want the list to be counted. Even just one line is enough

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Ok fellas that's time, all votes are locked in and I'm not accepting any more. Keep an eye on this thread for details on the results announcement!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

IRQ posted:

Ok here's mine

1 . The Big Bang Theory

oh darn!

No #s 2-10, wouldn't have counted anyway

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok when we gettin results

Collating data ain't a quick job, son

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

All right, ladies and gentlegoons! Roll up, roll up, roll up as we prepare for the big reveal of the results TVIV Poll of 2017. It's been a big year for television. All your favourite actors turned out to be sex pests. Finn Jones destroyed Marvel's cachet of good will with Netflix in one fell swoop. The entire population of India pirated the Game of Thrones season premiere. NBC cancelled the Will and Grace revival and instantly started planning a revival of the revival. But most importantly 2017 was a year of transition as televisual media stepped away from the network model and embraced new formats like never before in a surge of creativity that led to a whirlwind of prestige shows.

Despite a slow start this year saw 45 of TVIV's best and brightest (and also Zaggitz) put down their selections with a whopping 124 separate shows being named across 46 networks, 7 countries and 4 continents! All in all 25 different shows were honoured with the #1 spot covering a whole range of quality titles and the loving Inhumans because what the gently caress.

This year's results rollout will cover the top 40 and just like every year ties are settled using the countback rule, i.e. whichever shows received the most top spot places will come out on top followed by most second places and etc. It's like Eurovision except with more television and less drag queens. And just like every year as we head into this year's countdown it's all about that burning question... what is TVIV's best TV show of 2017?

• With Westword needing to take a year's sabbatical to clean up all the bodies there is a big hole right at the top of the charts. However, in its absence we have the returning heavyweight Fargo. TVIV's best TV show of 2014 and 2015 is back and it wants to go right back to its natural home. With yet another outstanding cast and Noah Hawley's backing will it be able to regain its crown?
  • But Fargo's not the only show with its eyes on the prize. Last year the dominance of Westworld meant that Stranger Things and its brand of earnest 80s nostalgia had to settle for the runners up spot. 2017 saw the show return with aplomb as it developed its story and characters in unexpected ways. With the path ahead clear can it take over at the top of the pile?
  • Every year we see one strong challenge from a show that wrapped up its final season and this year is no exception with the attempt coming from The Leftovers. With a small but dedicated following this show is a very definition of a cult hit. It may not be watched by many but those who do watch love it like few others. Will this following be enough to carry it all the way to the top?
  • Better Call Saul has firmly established itself as one of TVIV's elite shows with two top 3 finishes in a row but this spin-off has yet to match its predecessor's feat of leading our poll. With this year's season seeing Jimmy and Chuck falling further apart than ever and the returned of Gioncarlo Esposito will this be year that it finally takes that accolade?
  • And then there's TVIV's other perennial bridesmaid show. After a divisive second season Mr. Robot re-established itself as one of the most tension-fuelled shows on television with a claustrophobic and opaque series of episodes. With many feeling that the show is firing on all cylinders once more will this renewed focus translate to a first-time top spot?
  • Of course, television isn't all about the dramas. Each year we ask the question 'Is this the year that a comedy will top our poll?' and each year the answer is 'No'. Some might even believe that a comedy will never be able to match the intense stakes of our favourite prestige dramas. Fighting the battle this year is TVIV's Best Comedy of 2016 The Good Place. Can it succeed where all others have failed?
  • But the comedy field isn't as cut and dry as you might think. Last year saw Rick and Morty take a hiatus but this behemoth of a hit has returned with a groundswell of internet support that has taken as many headlines as the show itself. Yet if you put the terrible manbabies aside you're left with a swaggering show drunk on its own confidence that delivered a string of classic episodes. Will it be able to upset the big boys by sneaking into that top position?
  • Comic book shows have been a mainstay in TVIV polls since Arrow was a gleam in Marc Guggenheim's eye and nowhere is this more evident than in the continued success of Agents of Shield. This feel-good popcorn action show has remained a top performer even as it becomes one of TV's elder statesmen. Having carried the superhero genre for the last few years, can it take it all the way to the heights of #1?
  • Meanwhile over on Netflix the Marvel brand continued its relentless output with three separate shows but after Iron Fist and the Defenders proved to be the first real wobble for the company it fell to The Punisher to re-establish dominance. Building on his strong performance in Daredevil John Bernthal returned to slaughter the criminal underworld once more while opening a debate about the treatment and legacy of veterans. But did it do enough to bring back fans who may have lost their faith?
  • Perhaps the biggest Marvel show of the year wasn't even part of the Marvel brand. Loosely tied to the X-Men franchise, Legion told the story of a man losing his mind with superpowers only vaguely being the point. Well, maybe it did but you could never quite be sure. This visual spectacular was a bizarre concoction of moments tied together by one Noah Hawley. Yes, that Noah Hawley. Is his pedigree enough to carry a freshman outing all the way to the top?
  • Although if we're talking about creators with a proven track record then we can't have that conversation without Bryan Fuller. After leading Hannibal to victory in 2014 and 2015 he returned this year in full force with American Gods, an adaptation of a book that just so happened to be written by Neil Gaiman. Does this combination of auteurs have what it takes to lead our poll?
  • 2017 was also the year which saw a big increase in competition between online media platforms. While Netflix remains the heavy hitter we saw Amazon and Hulu both make strong forays into new content. In particular we saw the release of Patriot, a show was missed by television fans and critics alike but which found a home on TVIV. With so many of its fans on the forums can this underdog do the unbelievable?
  • But no summary of this year's television could be complete without the granddaddy of them all. After twenty six years David Lynch brought a new season of Twin Peaks to our screens and the show was as twisted and eccentric as it always had been. While many call it an 18 hour movie there's no doubting that this is television at its finest. The landscape has shifted since it was last on the air, can the show update itself for modern times and take that coveted #1 position?

Yes, there's so many questions to be answered and so many big shows fighting for the win. But before we deal with any of that we've got to take a moment to remember the fallen. Here's to the shows we like but not enough to get them a spot in our final countdown:

117=. (1 point)

Claws (TNT)
Colony (USA)
No Activity (CBS All Access)
No Offence (Channel 4)
Strike Back (Cinemax)
The Crown (Netflix)
The Defenders (Netflix)
You're The Worst (FXX)

109=. (2 points)

Brockmire (IFC)
Fear the Walking Dead (AMC)
Love (Netflix)
Preacher (AMC)
The Magicians (Syfy)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
WWE Raw (USA)
Z Nation (Syfy)

99=. (3 points)

Big Mouth (Netflix)
Blood Drive (Syfy)
Bob's Burgers (FOX)
Difficult People (Hulu)
I'm Sorry (TruTV)
One Day At A Time (Netflix)
Red Dwarf (Dave)
Schitt's Creek (CBC)
The Sinner (Netflix)
Voltron Legendary Defender (Netflix)

89=. (4 points)

Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Dark (Netflix)
Glitch (Netflix)
Killjoys (Space)
League of Gentlemen (BBC1)
Lethal Weapon (FOX)
Playing House (USA)
Shameless (Showtime)
SMILF (Showtime)
Talking Smack (WWE Network)

84=. (5 points)

Black Mirror (Netflix)
Godless (Netflix)
Neo Yokio (Netflix)
Pretty Good (Youtube)
The Son (AMC)

77=. (6 points)

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)
Black Sails (Starz)
Blue Planet II (BBC1)
Girls (HBO)
Made in Abyss (AT-X)
The Block (Nine)
Veep (HBO)

66=. (7 points)

American Dad (TBS)
Attack on Titan (MBS)
Gotham (FOX)
Happy (USA)
Impractical Jokers (TruTV)
Man Seeking Woman (FXX)
Miraculous Ladybug (TFOU)
Ozark (Netflix)
Taskmaster (Dave)
The 100 (CW)
The Tick (Amazon)

61=. (8 points)

Fiasconauts (Youtube)
gently caress Scientology (A+E)
One Piece (Fuji)
Star Trek Discovery (CBS All Access)
The Americans (FX)
The Chris Gethard Show (TruTV)

55=. (9 points)

Babylon Berlin (Sky 1 Germany)
Broad City (CC)
Channel Zero (Syfy)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
Vice Principals (HBO)

49=. (10 points)

8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown (Channel 4)
Kingdom (Audience)
Inhumans (ABC)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Bravo)
Sneaky Pete (Amazon)
The Vietnam War (PBS)

44=. (11 points)

My Brother, My Brother and Me (Seeso)
Review (CC)
Survivor (CBS)
Vikings (History)
WWE NXT (WWE Network)

43. (12 points)

Dear White People (Netflix)

41=. (13 points)

iZombie (CW)
Orphan Black (BBC America)

As ever we must recognise the sad achievement of our Biggest Faller which this year goes to You're The Worst. That's what you get for keeping Jimmy and Gretchen apart, show! Now this leaves us with the top 40 to dive into so let's get right into that...

...on Sunday 14th at 1:00pm EST! Come join me in this thread for what promises to be the most exhilarating, exciting and exasperating results rollout yet! It's going to be one hell of a ride!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Jerusalem posted:

I only recently saw an episode of Taskmaster ("I've sinned again!" featuring Bob Mortimer) and I loving loved it, I hope more people watch it.

Taskmaster is a super fun show that totally deserves some love.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there like a “reveal on Discord” thing happening or is it just all in this thread? I don’t actually know if that’s happened for a few years now but I always liked it

I'll be doing a live reveal in thread as I have the last couple of years. I'll be experimenting with the pacing a little bit though, I'm hoping it'll be exciting for you all

5.5 hours to go...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Oh hey guys, fancy seeing you around here! Are y'all hype for some results or what?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

I'm finishing up the first episode of Legion shut up

I've kept you waiting long enough, let's dive into this. And what better way to kick things off than the warm embrace of an old favourite...

Pan Dulce posted:

You always find yourself perking up to the wise-cracking of the crew.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The show’s greatest draw is the strength of its ensemble.

cant cook creole breem posted:

People actually like each other - cant cook creole breem

Click the images for highlights of each show
40. BROOKLYN NINE NINE (FOX)
DOWN 5
14 points, listed 4 times

Yes Brooklyn Nine Nine returns to our chart once more. The wacky hijinks never fail to entertain. Which leads us neatly onto #39 which I will reveal... very, very soon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Aw shucks, you guys. I do it for the looks on your faces on the night itself. And speaking of let's move on to our next entry.

Senerio posted:

Despite starting out as an oh-so-wacky comedy, it went on to tackle more dramatic topics, such as racism and xenophobia.

Corte posted:

Just loving fun!

39. STAR VS. THE FORCES OF EVIL (DISNEYXD)
NEW ENTRY
14 points, listed 2 times, #1 spot 1 time

I have no idea what the gently caress. Oh well, at least it's not Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Arist posted:

only because jojo's didn't air last year

Yeah, 2017 wasn't all bad

Escobarbarian posted:

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on Star it absolutely has one of the best opening songs ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ5ecrpp8k

Ok, now I kinda wanna watch it.

But enough about cartoons, time for a show that's only like a cartoon!

Looten Plunder posted:

This season went down some pretty different paths to previous but it was awesome none the less.

HorseRenoir posted:

Needs to be submitted for Oscar consideration.

38. NATHAN FOR YOU (COMEDY CENTRAL)
RE-ENTRY
15 points, listed 3 times

I'm still waiting for the episode where Lowtax calls in Nathan to help him wring money out of these dead comedy forums.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Don’t worry I won’t have commentary for EVERY sho-well no promises

Don't let me down, buddy. I need you with me on this. It's important to support each other in our endeavours. Which I learned from our next entry!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The songs are still top-notch.

Pan Dulce posted:

So important to have in this day and age, for kids and adults alike.

37. STEVEN UNIVERSE (CARTOON NETWORK)
DOWN 25
16 points, listed 2 times

And yet I like My Little Pony and somehow I'm the weird one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Arist posted:

I think SU suffered this year from its insane hiatuses which is probably why it fell so far.

I believe this phenomenon is called the Gravity Falls effect.

X-O posted:

They're not slowing it down.

karrethuun posted:

Can't wait.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Went further into crazytown.

36. 12 MONKEYS (SYFY)
UP 1
18 points, listed 4 times

One of the best TV trends of 2017 was the prominence of insane mindfuckery in our genre television. This is the first of many, many entries with this theme.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody seemed to have fallen into a groove that made the show a joy to watch.

And More posted:

This time around the story is less convoluted.

BSam posted:

I can't not put this on my list.

35. DOCTOR WHO (BBC1)
RE-ENTRY
18 points, listed 3 times

I've not kept up with Doctor Who for the last couple of seasons but I watched the Xmas special cause of the whole lady regeneration thing and it was very sweet so I'm ok with this.

Rarity fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2018 around 19:01

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

^^^All I know about Bill is that she's a lesbian who hooked up with a dead water angel and that's pretty rad

And from time travel we move to the other big TV theme of 2017:

Feminism! (Yay)

Escobarbarian posted:

A great portrayal of upper-class affluence and female friendships.

Yer Burnt posted:

A juicy rich suburbanite show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I only watched this show because my wife was interested in it.

34. BIG LITTLE LIES (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
20 points, listed 5 times

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Cart posted:

2017’s most prescient tale.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I was genuinely too depressed.

nate fisher posted:

Please leave that crazy cult.

33. THE HANDMAID'S TALE (HULU)
NEW ENTRY
21 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

I gave The Handmaid's Tale a shot and I got through the first three episodes but I couldn't watch any more. It is without a doubt a really important show and the construction of it all is done so well. The relentless misery just didn't hook me in and I don't know why. Did anyone else have this experience?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

This show is good but I really think it's overrated as hell.

#33 isn't really screaming overrated to me.

Whoever voted for this next entry is a dastardly fiend who delights in depravity, torture and the taste of postage shame. Do not be fooled into believing this show deserves your interest, it will only bring you misery.

Regy Rusty posted:

Almost every detail is perfect.

adhuin posted:

Very sad sad tale.

Tiggum posted:

It's got this faux-grim tone that really appeals to me.

32. LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
22 points, listed 4 times

Yes, do not spend your time on this. Netflix have ill-advisedly commissioned a second season but it is not worth your time. Spend it on happier pursuits such as holding hands with a loved one under the blossoming trees of spring. Or alternatively, ice cream.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Stay away from this awesome show if you value such things as joy or love

ENOUGH KOOKY WEIRDNESS BACK TO FEMINISM

Yer Burnt posted:

Most of the episodes were masterpieces.

Looten Plunder posted:

A really interesting family that I want to spend more time with.

Escobarbarian posted:

One of the most loving and humanistic pieces of television ever seen.

31. BETTER THINGS (FX)
UP 61
25 points, listed 4 times

HIGHEST CLIMBER

And that rounds out #s 40-31. There's some solid entries in there without a doubt. I think A Series of Unfortunate Events in particular was hurt by coming out right at the start of the year. But time to look forward now cause we're about to break into the top 30. Where will your favourite show wind up?

Rarity fucked around with this message at Jan 14, 2018 around 19:29

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

We're diving into the top 30 now so you'd better prepare yourselves. Don't forget the hairspray and the neon spandex for this next one!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I had no idea this was even a thing that was happening until the day it was released and it blew me away.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I'm a sucker for theatrical action.

DivisionPost posted:

I could watch this cast do this forever, especially if it's set to more of that bitchin' 80s soundtrack.

Rarity posted:

My two favourite things in the world are wrestling and female empowerment.

30. GLOW (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
26 points, listed 6 times

Oh man, the first season of this culminates in a match between Zoya the Destroyer and Liberty Belle while Pat Benetar's “Invincible” plays over the top and if that doesn't sound like the best thing to you then you have no joy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Yeah I can understand GLOW getting overlooked here. It's delightful and fun but it not as emotionally hefty as a lot of the shows in our top 40 which have much more memorable moments.

I have no loving clue what this next show is about.

And More posted:

This season is absolutely insane.

bou posted:

Glorious insanity with tons of lovable characters and a love to the little details.

Tiggum posted:

This is a show about bumbling idiots.

Spatula City posted:

This show is like someone drilled a hole into my brain and found exactly the kind of TV I would want to watch.

29. DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY (BBC AMERICA)
NEW ENTRY
28 points, listed 5 times

Ok I read the Wikipedia description and I still don't get it. How the hell did Frodo end up in this?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Created by Hollywood’s hottest young rapist, Max Landis!

Oh god, I just checked how many of our Top 40 involve someone at the centre of sexual assault/harrassment scandal and um... it's a lot.

Quick, someone vote for something light and fluffy!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Doesn’t take itself too serious, which makes it an easy watch.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Doesn't take itself too seriously, just fun all around.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

As soon as the show accepted itself for what it really was it went from eh to amazing.

bou posted:

They make every stupid thing work.

28. LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (CW)
UP 43
29 points, listed 6 times

Knew I could count on you guys.

NO WAIT MARC GUGGENHEIM gently caress

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

X-O posted:

I think it managed to really up the stakes and take a really neat direction with the story this year.

Zaggitz posted:

Just some good old fashioned sci-fi-rear end sci-fi.

CeeJee posted:

It's the year of Time Travel.

If time travel is your thing, it doesn't get much smarter than this.

27. TRAVELERS (SHOWCASE)
UP 35
29 points, listed 5 times, #1 spot 1 time

BEST INTERNATIONAL SHOW

If there's a constant in this world it's that Canada will make niche genre television and Roger Cross will appear in it. I don't even know for sure that he has appeared in Travelers but I'm already sure that I'm right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

He was in Dirk Gently, so close enough.

Give it time.

Rarity posted:

High concept comedy with great execution.

Zaggitz posted:

This show has no business being as good as it was overall.

Rocksicles posted:

I've shoved this down every Rathole i could find.

Cart posted:

If it’s good enough for honorary black belt and certified door expert James Cameron it’s good enough for me.

26. FUTURE MAN (HULU)
NEW ENTRY
30 points, listed 6 times

If this show has taught me anything, and it's safe to say that it hasn't, it's that cocaine has literally zero negatives and we should all do a bunch of cocaine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Yer Burnt posted:

He's still in the clear, right? I mean, other than pissing off the Arrow fandom for fun.
I think it's Andrew Kreisberg who tarnishes things.

Yeah I got them mixed up. Mea culpa.

Ok, we're into the top 25 and I think that means it's time to take stock. The competition is still wide open between the shows competing for that #1 position. Could it be Stranger Things? Or potentially The Leftovers? Or how about Twin Peaks? The field is still open with all the heavy hitters remaining in play.

Well, almost all of them.

Jerusalem posted:

What is real? What is true?

Yer Burnt posted:

A fantastic meditation into what makes (true) stories become real.

Spatula City posted:

He wants each of us to ask ourselves how much we still believe that good will triumph over evil.

Zaggitz posted:

Still a better show than the Leftovers!

25. FARGO (FX)
RE-ENTRY
31 points, listed 7 times

That's right, Fargo comes in with what can only be called a disappointing placing of #25 after a season that was considerably off the pace compared to its predecessors. But it's not all over for Noah Hawley yet. He's still got one dog left in the fight as Legion battles it out for the victory. Will it be able to bring it home? There's only place where you can find out!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

DivisionPost posted:

A hell of a season, backed by a hell of a performance.

karrethuun posted:

Much better written than I was expecting.

Spatula City posted:

The showrunner and writers turned out to not be assholes.

achillesforever6 posted:

Nothing is glamorous in this show, its ugly and mean.

24. THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
32 points, listed 9 times

Somewhere in world Finn Jones's lip trembles. One solitary tear runs down his cheek. But seriously, there was a lot of pressure on the Punisher to bring back some credibility to Marvel Netflix after Iron Fist poo poo the bed and the show did not disappoint. (Man, I can't wait for Jessica Jones to beat loads of prestige shows next year)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Escobarbarian posted:

Don’t forget Defenders!

But I really want to

Oh man, you can tell things are starting to get serious now. We've just seen two strong contenders fall by the wayside. But that's the way it goes in the TVIV Poll of the Year. There are no easy choices. Sometimes big names don't quite deliver like they should. Here's another entry that not quite lived up to its normal standard.

Arist posted:

It’s also just loving incredible when it’s firing on all cylinders.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Sometimes popular shows are popular because they're good.

Looten Plunder posted:

The internet is trying it's best to ruin this show for me, but they haven't succeeded just yet.

97 MORE SEASONS.

23. RICK AND MORTY (ADULTSWIM)
RE-ENTRY
35 points, listed 7 times

Yes, Rick and Morty comes in at #23, its first time showing up outside the top 10. The episodes were as strong as ever but the combination of a toxic fanbase, Dan Harmon's personal issues and gratuitous corporate synergy really pushed us away. Here's hoping that whenever season 4 comes around they can leave all the bullshit behind and focus on doing what they do best because the show is entertaining as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

Arist posted:

Really surprised that's the lowest thing on my list.

The Deuce is still in contention

Corte posted:

The show fascinated me.

Lost Season posted:

This show was great, and full of great performances.

I appreciated that the show didn't go out of its way to show you the grisly crimes as they happened. It was unpleasant enough hearing about them.

X-O posted:

This was probably my most anticipated show of the year and it didn't disappoint.

22. MINDHUNTER (NETFLIX)
NEW ENTRY
35 points, listed 6 times

Oh hey it's that OTHER show from a celebrated movie director called David! It's weird, you wouldn't expect a TV show from David loving Fincher to fly under the radar but somehow this feels like one of the most overlooked shows of the year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

We're getting close to the top 20 now but we've still got one show to push through before we get there and... welp, this is awkward.

Looten Plunder posted:

So much memorable and creative stuff here.

I love this brilliant, heartfelt, deeply personal show.

Zaggitz posted:

Got real experimental in a way I really liked.

fancy stats posted:

It's millennial as hell, but it's charmingly so.

21. MASTER OF NONE (NETFLIX)
RE-ENTRY
37 points, listed 7 times

Yeah...

So how about that top 20, guys! Where do you expect your favourite show to end up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

From Montreal to Memphis
Parlez-vous francais?

The heat is sure turning up as we enter the top 20. The competition is fiercer than ever before with less space available and so many of our favourites still to make an appearance. Just who could walk away with that coveted #1 spot? Will it be The Good Place? Will it be Mr. Robot? Will it be Twin Peaks? We're not far away from finding out! But first let's take a look at #20...

ShakeZula posted:

Among the very best of television.

karrethuun posted:

I'm a fanboy, this will always be on my list.

Cart posted:

Nothing has me hyped more each week.

Shneak posted:

Some of the blockbuster bullshit delivered and delivered well.

Rarity posted:

The battles were badass.

Pan Dulce posted:

It's all a girl could wish for in her medieval fantasy show.

20. GAME OF THRONES (HBO)
DOWN 13
38 points, listed 9 times

It may have been a quiet year for Game of Thrones this year but it did pick up one accolade that deserves recognising. Thanks to this year's poll Game of Thrones is now the only show to appear in every single TVIV Poll since we started six years ago. And in all that time it's near placed lower than #23. That's one hell of an achievement.

• Locked thread
«2 »