Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I didnít watch nearly as much television this year as Iíd have liked, and a lot of the shows I did enjoy I didnít end up finishing. So instead of doing just honorable mentions, hereís a list of shows I started or fell behind on and need to get back to:

A Series Of Unfortunate Events (watched the first four)
Patriot (currently blitzing through the last four episodes)
The Get Down (my #3 last year! Didnít watch all of the first episode, that animated stuff was rough)
Steven Universe (havenít seen the last five or so episodes)
Search Party (watched the first two)
Future Man (watched the first two)
Twin Peaks (watched the first two episodes and decided I needed to see FWWM)
Star Trek: Discovery (didnít watch past the two they aired on real TV)
The Tick (didnít watch episode six)
Preacher (like six episodes behind)
iZombie (didnít watch the finale)
MST3K: The Return (watched like an episode and a half)
Dad of Light: Final Fantasy XIV (Yes, really, watched an episode and a half)
Dear White People (I didnít love what little I watched of this, honestly, but it was just most of the first episode)
Riverdale (like two episodes behind)

And then thereís shows I never got to like GLOW, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Mindhunter.

As for actual honorable mentions, the three I unfortunately had to cut at the last minute were The Punisher, Steven Universe, and Stranger Things.

10. American Gods

American Gods is a good book that meanders a bit too much in the middle, even if the digressions make sense in the overall narrative and it all gets tied together decently in the end. American Gods is a good show that meanders a bit too much in the middle, even if the digressions make sense in the overall narrative and it all gets tied together decently in the end.

My point, then, is that thereís really nothing else this adaptation could have been, and what it is manages to capture the spirit of the book with some of the most gorgeous composition on television. Yes, itís slow, covering only the first third of a long-but-not-that-long book in eight hour-long episodes. But it gets the right things right, consistently. The individual vignettes of the stories of the gods are all fantastic, and the expansion of certain charactersí roles is phenomenal.

9. Marvelís Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

This show should be a joke, right? Itís not just me? How is this as good as it is, as consistently as it is? This show aired its best episode ever this year, which is no small feat. Buoyed by outstanding performances across the board and the willingness to just go loving nuts whenever it gets the opportunity, this show continues to amaze me.

8. Legion

I wanted to love this show, but instead I merely came to like it. Itís a shame that the final episode isnít as strong. Itís a shame that it decided not to really explore the ideas from its premise I was most interested in. Itís a shame that the last third or so takes a weird detour that mostly works but also kind of doesnít. Legion is not what I thought it would be. What it actually is: surprising, funny, and shockingly scary. And holy poo poo, what can I say about Aubrey Plaza that hasnít already been repeated ad nauseum?

7. Riverdale

Guilty pleasures are dumb. If you love something, own it. For instance, I love Riverdale, the dumbest show on television, full stop. Here are just a few of the amazing plot points Riverdale blew through this year:

Drugged milkshakes
A serial killer with a psychotic obsession with one of the main characters
A gang war in which one of the main instigators is a character named ďSweet PeaĒ
That gang war eventually leading to a loving street race
And hard drugs named ďJingle JangleĒ!

Riverdale has no pretensions about what it is, and it is gloriously campy. Thereís nothing ironic about my enjoyment of Riverdale, itís just the tastiest junk food on television right now.

6. Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is constantly trying new things. They donít always work, but itís always trying. ďPickle RickĒ is one of the best episodes theyíve ever done because itís dumb, sincere, and brave all at once, and manages to thoroughly dress down its main characterís incredibly toxic worldview. This show gets a lot of poo poo. I wonít say itís undeserved, but itís also just loving incredible when itís firing on all cylinders.

5. Better Call Saul

Better Call Saul is probably a better show than Breaking Bad at this point, and it owes it all to Bob Odenkirk, who is just an incredible presence onscreen. Jimmy McGill has been denied and marginalized for so long that one canít help but root for him, which makes it such a shame when he gives into his own worst nature, breaks the rules, and proves everyone who ever doubted him right. Itís hard to watch. Itís even harder to stop.

4. Patriot

Behold, the tale of The Worldís Saddest Man! Jesus, this show came out of nowhere, and it is something else. Itís like a Greek loving tragedy unfolding in slow motion from eight different angles. Everything good is transient. All victories will be undone. Failure is the only universal constant.

...Itís also funny as hell.

3. American Vandal

American Vandal also completely blindsided me. Itís an incredibly well-executed mockumentary, from the reuse of footage to the random students walking into B-roll shots to request interviews. Itís hilarious and somehow even tragic. Itís kind of a perfect little thing in its own right.

2. The Good Place

How can a show be so willing to blow itself up in so many different ways? The finale was incredible, but everything since has been on an entirely new level. Thereís an amazing willingness here to let moments that other, lesser shows would save for a finale go off in the middle or even the beginning of the season. Even the latest episode ended in a way that leaves me with no idea where it can possibly go next. Also, ďThe Trolley ProblemĒ is the funniest episode of television all year, and itís not close.

1. The Deuce

I havenít seen The Wire. I really should, but I just havenít. This, then, is my first David Simon show, and holy poo poo, what have I been missing? Thereís the amazing feeling of a world just beyond the boundaries of every scene, implied by the texture of every moment and the incredible set of actors populating the cast. Itís rich and nuanced in the best of ways, never going for the easy way forward or the simple depiction. The introduction to C.C. and Lori, in particular, could have so easily been a trite example of one taking advantage of the other, but the writers know we know whatís up and throw our expectations for a loop.

No other show this year made me feel as full a range of emotions as The Deuce, from tragedy to humor to horror, to full, complete captivation with the amazing completeness of what I was watching, permeating through every aspect. Hereís the best selling point I can think of: I find most nudity offputting because Iím a loving prude, but I couldnít get enough of this showís depiction of the sex trade. This show consistently goes above and beyond, and I canít imagine another show taking the top spot for me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Oh man if I realized I could put Pretty Good on my list

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

I donít think any of my list have shown up yet NICE

same, same

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Time to find out The Deuce is at #40 or some poo poo and I get to curse you all out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

only because jojo's didn't air last year

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I think SU suffered this year from its insane hiatuses which is probably why it fell so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Really surprised that's the lowest thing on my list.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Really thought this would end up higher, huh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

:|

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

What is that show even about anymore

SPACE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Season 2 made me realize I actually like Stranger Things, even if upon reflection the only storyline I cared about was Steve and the kids.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

YEAH I GOT WHAT I WANTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

I'll be waiting in the lobby if anyone wants stock market tips

• Locked thread