Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Honourable Mentions
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Good, if somewhat slow-paced, adaptation of the novels. I kind of wish they made the episodes just as long as they needed to be. The current two-parters just feel a bit sluggish.

Castlevania
Warren Ellis does Castlevania. It's an astonishingly good adaptation. Once they actually get to the meat of the story, this show will easily make it to my top ten.

Star Trek: Discovery
After a hokey start, the half-season finale actually manages to be very good. Hopefully, they'll find their footing in the second half.

Top 10 of 2017
10. Dark
Dark had to be on the list, mainly because it‘s a German show with a decent sci-fi premise. It‘s like encountering a unicorn: You’ve got to appreciate it for the sheer novelty. Of course, it also helped that Dark is genuinely good. The show combines brooding crime fiction and time travel. While the plot is somewhat convoluted, it all works fairly well in practice. Some of the stylistic choices (such as refusing to let any character use an umbrella ever) are a bit silly, but it‘s not a big deal. What really carried me through was the excellent soundtrack. You're really onto something, when I actively decide against pressing the Skip intro-button on Netflix just because I like the song.

9. Riverdale
Riverdale is goofy fun. At first, I watched it because it looked like a Twin Peaks ripoff, but it‘s actually just a super serious and hilarious teen thriller soap. The creators are unrelentingly earnest in their dedication to this shlock. While the show isn‘t exactly good in any objective sense, it's still highly entertaining. Additionally, I‘m learning a little bit about American pop culture, since Archie never got big in Europe. (The podcast Sex Archie is a great supplemental learning tool.)

8. Dirk Gently‘s Holistic Detective Agency
In typical Dirk Gently fashion, this season is absolutely insane. There are wizards, shapeshifters, crazy evil mercenaries and scissor-wielding knights. It‘s just fun to watch the insanity unfold. The really great thing about the show is that it‘s actually not that difficult to keep track of the plot. Despite all the seemingly disparate elements and characters, everything forms a very cohesive whole by the end. It‘s not exactly high-brow entertainment. Just an exercise in good storytelling.

7. Mindhunter
The major draw of Mindhunter is that the protagonist is a real optimist, hoping to truly understand criminals. Cinematography, acting and soundtrack are all great, but I wouldn‘t have made it past the first episode if the protagonist was just some pessimistic piece of poo poo. It‘s usually really tough for me to sit through detailed descriptions of all the horrible things humans can do to each other. Here, I was feeling more hopeful in some way. Looking at the acts of serial killers is a necessary evil if we want to understand human nature. Of course, the heroes mess up somewhere along the way, but that initial spark still carries you through to the end.

6. Better Call Saul
Yeah, it's probably better than Breaking Bad. I love the deliberate slow pacing, and the intense focus on character development. Sometimes it even gets hard to watch because I'm so invested in the characters. I don‘t want to see them get hurt. The steady quality of this show also means I have a harder time being all that excited about it. It‘s good television, but that‘s to be expected.

5. American Gods
In any other year, this would have easily made it to second place, but American Gods just isn‘t as exciting as some of these other shows. Despite the crazy premise, it‘s actually more of a relaxed road movie with occasional moments of gorgeous Hannibal-style violence (and people getting hit in the nuts). The soundtrack is great, the acting is amazing, and it all looks very beautiful. I particularly loved Gillian Anderson‘s appearance as David Bowie. It‘s a fantastic tribute to one of the greatest musicians of all time. "Oh, you pretty thing, you."

4. Doctor Who
After the rather bleak series 8 and 9, the Doctor‘s new companions Bill and Nardole help the show feel a bit more cheery again. Peter Capaldi is, as always, an absolute delight to watch. This time around, the story is less convoluted, too, giving the characters and their interactions room to breathe. The finale gets a bit more serious, but still retains a sense of hope. No matter how cheesy it can be, I always enjoy Doctor Who, particularly when it manages to capture that sense of adventure well.

3. Channel Zero
The latest season of Channel Zero is set in a House of Leaves-style psychological nightmare mansion. It’s not particularly scary, but the whole show just oozes atmosphere. They manage to work miracles on a shoestring budget. Lots of creepy sets, practical effects and slow pans. Performances are generally pretty hokey, but I think it just adds to the uneasy feeling. This, of course, excludes John Carrol Lynch's performance. He is the highlight of every scene. I’ll be damned if I didn’t cry a little by the end. I was also pleased to see that Rover from British cult classic The Prisoner is still getting work.

2. Babylon Berlin (S1 & 2)
Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) is not exactly my favourite director, but he really nails the setting in this show. From the perspective of Charlotte Ritter who works both as a typist for the police and as a sex worker, you get to see the Berlin of 1929 from all sides. Sure, technically Gereon is the protagonist, but who really cares. Charlotte is way more interesting. At times, the story gets a little melodramatic (especially the Gretchen storyline). All of that doesn‘t matter, however. When the plotlines converge in the tense finale, it just clicks.

1. Twin Peaks
David Lynch and Mark Frost return to blow everyone‘s minds with an 18-hour masterpiece. Performances, soundtrack, editing, pacing: it‘s all slightly off in the best way possible. Laugh in bewilderment as agent Cooper sleepwalks through most of the show while his sinister doppelgänger runs free. Stare in awe, as the camera slowly dives into the centre of a nuclear explosion. And maybe have a good cry when listening to Hawk's final conversation with Margaret Lanterman. „Good night, Margaret. Goodbye, Margaret.“

The show switches seamlessly between oppressive horror, slapstick humour, crushing sadness and heartwarming exuberance. Sometimes scenes will be crucial to the overarching narrative, but there are just as many completely tangential moments. Lynch saved up every single idea he had over the last 25 years, and just went nuts with them. Admittedly, at times, it‘s not an easy sit. However, that's also what makes it special. Twin Peaks‘ third and probably final season is, without a doubt, the most rewarding and unique experience on television. drat good TV. And hot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh guess everyone is waiting till the last minute to release their lists?

Maybe people are genuinely waiting until they've watched Black Mirror. The deadline has been extended to January 8. Not that this is reflected in the OP at all.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zaggitz posted:

Yo Rarity is it kosher to make an edit to my list? I've been watching Travelers and I'm almost done the second season which is def clamoring to grab a spot on my list.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

5) HERE IS HOW EDITING YOUR SUBMISSIONS WORKS.

When y’all submit your polls, I will periodically be pulling your posts and end up hyperlinking all of them in the post right below this one. Then, Rarity and I will pull from my hyperlinked list that I’ve made to compile all of your submissions into an Excel document. YOU ARE FREE TO EDIT YOUR SUBMISSIONS AT ANY TIME. But- and this is important - before you edit your submission - CHECK THE SECOND POST TO SEE IF YOUR POST HAS BEEN HYPERLINKED. If it has, YOU MUST EDIT THE POST THAT HAS BEEN HYPERLINKED. That’s what we’re going to pull from to compile your points and it makes our jobs, again, much much easier if you do that. Then, please pm me or Rarity (we both have plat), post in the thread that you’ve edited your submission, or- best option- do both. Please make sure to do this, we will be compiling literally dozens of submissions in a week and we’re just two guys and we WILL miss your edit if you don’t tell us you’ve edited it and then we’ll both feel bad because we’ve slightly misrepresented the data.

If I haven’t hyperlinked your submission- feel free to do whatever. Delete your original post, and resubmit under a new one, edit it- WHATEVER. Don’t care.

You're not on the list, yet.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rarity posted:

55=. (9 points)

Babylon Berlin (Sky 1 Germany)
Channel Zero (Syfy)

49=. (10 points)

Inhumans (ABC)

Now I actually feel bad for bringing these shows up at all.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

cant cook creole bream posted:

I've seen that thread a bunch of times. And every time I read that title, I read Ms Marvel for a second.

I did exactly the same. Honestly, who can even keep track of all these superhero shows anymore?

Rarity posted:

David Simon

No one had told me.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 14, 2018

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

There really is nothing a bunch of executives can't ruin.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Seems appropriate. It's the perfect spot for a guilty pleasure.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever love any other TV show as much as Twin Peaks. Season three was perfection to me.

edit: I actually watched more shows this year just so I could vote for Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, this was a blast. Thanks for making it happen, Rarity!

I'll make sure to check out The Deuce and The Good Place.

• Locked thread