Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

10. The Punisher

This is one of those lists where I don't love the #10, lot of current shows or seasons are still on my to watch list. This does some stuff well, but for me was very formulaic and kind of generic, didn't run wild with the premise. But that said, while I was disappointed with it, I did have fun watching it, and Bernthal's De Niro-ish fidgety with attitude take on The Punisher is a fun one. Thought it was a bit of a step backwards after Daredevil season 2, I could use less slow paced repetitive origin type things, but I enjoy fun shlock, and this is some fun schlock a lot of the time. I know a lot loved it here, just my reaction to it. This is longer than it needs to be probably, much like that season of The Punisher. But perhaps still readable/watchable, like that season of The Punisher.

9. WWE RAW

Talk about fun shlock. I actually thought this year was a dip for WWE overall, but there was some good stuff, I enjoyed some things like say Bayley's wacky wavy tube men and whatnot. What can I tell ya folks, this is one of the shows I watch, I find it highly bad a lot of the time, WWE drops the ball with the booking. But, on the top ten it be, mmm yes Yoda might say. Best for business, it is.

8. The Expanse

Good season, a lot of very well done fun sci-fi drama stuff. Tom Jane is the man. Space!

7. Bojack Horseman

Very good, strong, funny Bojack Horseman action. I liked this better than season 3, overall the show is rock solid and in a good direction. Fun and well realized characters, snappy stuff, some of it a little formulaic, but a lot of it pretty unique. I like it's brand of so depressing it's funny type thing. Cool show.

6. Better Call Saul

Big fan of this show, though I do have some reservations, I'd like to see Saul move along into his sleazy lawyer for scummy criminals kind of role a bit faster. Or in general just moving past the status quo and few characters it has focused on for a while. Since his life seems such an epic journey, and with the show only having a few years left most likely, c'mon, let's move this along! But, that said, I did really enjoy this season, and it did move some things along, and what they chose to do was very well done. Jimmy/Saul is a great great character.

5. Game of Thrones

I still dig it quite a bit, very cool show. Some of those big moments of seeing various things in motion really show up, well, it was cool. And I'm still invested in a number of these great characters. Thumbs up.

4. Impractical Jokers

It may be zany to have a show from TruTV on my list, but Impractical Jokers really cracks me up, and few shows do. And one of the guys, Q, is a hero to me from my fav podcast Tell Em Steve-Dave. It's more about putting themselves in uncomfortable situations and flexing their comedy troupe background than pranking people overall. Great stuff.

3. One Piece

I love One Piece, was fun back in the early 2000s and it's still great 800+ episodes in. Crossed that 800 line in 2017, it's main drawback is it has a bit of DBZ-esque pacing in the anime adaptation, especially these days, but for me it still hits that sweet spot. The characters are great, and it's more clever than one might figure. We are on the cruise!

2. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Incredible show, one of the best comedies ever in my book, and 2017's season was a lot of fun. I noticed it's not coming back on until 2019 so we're going to be missing it this year, might have to pop on some classic episodes. The gang are comedy character legends, especially Dennis.

1. Twin Peaks

Best thing on TV in years. Other really good shows to me felt pretty by the book and less engaging in comparison. There's nobody for me who does it quite like David Lynch (and props to Mark Frost), this felt like a mix of all David's movies and ideas, and of course it's more Twin Peaks. Which I had fun rewatching in preparation. Thrilling, engaging, really funny, affecting, earth-shattering, captivating, dream-weaving stuff. The funniest and the darkest, grim and also kind of hopeful and magical, this is the best. Great to see one of my fav filmmakers doing his thing and going new places along the way, running wild and free for 18 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cart posted:

Twin Peaks do I need to go back and watch the original run for it to be worthwhile?

You would want to for sure, there's discussion on that in the Twin Peaks thread too. If there was somebody who was for some reason only interested in the new series, I'd say watching it is still worthwhile, but it'd be better to see what came before. It follows a lot of the same characters, and a lot of the ideas and places established in the original are very important in the new series. Ditto for the movie Fire Walk With Me. And might as well check out some David Lynch movies too if you haven't. But pretty much, anything that gets your foot in the door is a good thing.

(Short answer, pop on the first few episodes of the original series for starters I'd say, see what you think. Though the new series is very different as well.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was surprised I'm the only one who listed It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, very good stuff I find!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool countdown, I dug it! And good to see Twin Peaks get a lot of love.

• Locked thread