Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seeing how leftovers never does as well as it should my personal pick is for TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN to win this year. if it doesn't we'll definitely know for sure that goons are monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Twin Peaks and Leftovers will absolutely be my top 2, and it's more likely than not Patriot will take the third slot. gently caress TV ruled this year

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

There's still so much coming/returning before the end of the year. Search Party, Runaways, Godless, She's Gotta Have It, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Easy, The Crown.....

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pfffffffft

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Black Mirror is a good show but people still talking about it like it's as good as it was pre-netflix IRKS me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is Fiasconauts really applicable? Stuff like Sex House I got because it was by Onion people, but just a random web show of people playing a board game? At the very least, this seems like a good opportunity to get clarification.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I guess Monster Factory is gonna be this year's #1

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ok in that case anyone not voting monster factory 1 is a fool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean you've basically just ensured your list won't be counted by putting Young Pope in. Also the people who run this thread aren't mods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I still have way more stuff to catch up on than Iíd like to admit but Iíll definitely have something up before the deadline.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I was waiting for Black Mirror.

It's not even making the list

I fuckin called this (not specifically about you Rarity)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ok FUCKERS

here's some stuff from me. first up, a list of the worst shows of 2017. gently caress these shows:

NOT THIS LIST OCC AND RARITY THE OTHER ONE posted:

10. Preacher - This show wastes everything good it has going for it on meandering boring nonsense, someone give the writers a kick up the loving rear end for gently caress's sake

09. Room 104 - Like two episodes in this are REALLY GOOD and some of the more interesting experiments of the year, but mostly it was so so drab and forgettable

08. Stan Against Evil - More forgettable fare, and it felt like they leaned more on "lol dr cox but he's sexist" this year, which isn't great

07. Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams - Another anthology show where like 1-2 eps of this half-season were really good and the others were boring and bad and like nobody gave a poo poo about what was happening

06. Ozark - People said this was good and they lied. Decent character stuff, but otherwise an incredibly empty white bread crime drama, and Bateman you are no Cranston my son.

05. Taboo - Pretentious-rear end garbage that was unable to provide any of the depth it so clearly wanted to, but hey, at least you had Hardy and Oona Chaplin and other talented people

04. Sherlock - this show is so idiotic i stg

03. Marvel's The Defenders - lol all that time spent setting this up and then what a wet fart. Completely dull and uninteresting, with a plot that revolved entirely around the worst characters while the others sat off to the side making the occasional okay quip. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone creating or watching this giving even a single bit of a poo poo about anything that's happening.

02. 13 Reasons Why - One of the most immoral shows to ever exist, basically spends its time setting out a blueprint for any and all depressed suicidal teens who want 'revenge' on their peers, and lets them know again and again that IT WILL WORK, THEY WILL BE TALKING ABOUT YOU FOR AGES AND BE SO SORRY. plus every character is a complete stock stereotype and excessively annoying, especially lead's best friend who knows everything but keeps being broody and mysterious and "NO I CAN'T JUST TELL YOU YOU HAVE TO CLIMB THIS WALL FIRST" and aaaahhhhh but mainly it's just how immoral it is, this show should not exist, it's such a blatant glamourisation of its topic

01. Tin Star - The same people who said Ozark was good said this was better and now I'm never trusting them ever again. This has to be the nadir of the "angry brutal antihero white guy crime" TV subgenre. It wants to be gritty and tough so badly that it actually makes a lot of that Dark Age DC women in refrigerators stuff seem like poetic literature. Man.....it sucks!!! Shoutout to Looten Plunder for also having this at the bottom of his list.

Also posting my 50-11 for anyone wondering where so-and-so show is:

50. Lemony Snicketís A Series of Unfortunate Events
49. Catastrophe
48. Peaky Blinders
47. Curb Your Enthusiasm
46. One Mississippi
45. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
44. No Activity
43. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
42. Superstore
41. Baskets
40. Transparent
39. Mindhunter
38. Sneaky Pete
37. Speechless
36. American Gods
35. Samurai Jack
34. The Handmaidís Tale
33. GLOW
32. Game of Thrones
31. Search Party
30. Nathan For You
29. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
28. American Vandal
27. Fargo
26. Easy
25. Youíre the Worst
24. SMILF
23. Feud
22. Girls
21. Brockmire
20. Vice Principals
19. Riverdale
18. BoJack Horseman
17. Review
16. Mr. Robot
15. Master of None
14. Adventure Time
13. Lady Dynamite
12. Halt and Catch Fire
11. Legion (loving AGONISED between leaving this or my 9/10 off, poo poo finale pushed it over the edge, sorry Legion)

top 10 comin....RIGHT NOW:

10. Big Little Lies
Easily the best thing David E. Kelley has done in years and a great portrayal of upper-class affluence and female friendships, led by a whole bunch of incredible female performances.

09. Better Call Saul
Came pretty close to taking this out of my top 10 because the Mike/Gus stuff isn't great but MAN is everything else amazing enough to make up for it. Jimmy's downfall becomes ever slower and more tragic, while Chuck, already an all-time great TV character, got some of his best and most heartbreaking moments. And Kim is still an impeccably underrated character.

08. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
One of the most exciting new shows in forever and it's only this low because there needed to be more of it. Rachel Brosnahan puts in a superb performance as the lead, while ASP's writing has improved since the Gilmore days while still being hilarious and charming. Plus a show about a great comedian where the comedy is actually good?? What a crazy idea!!

07. The Deuce
Spent most of its first season as another Simon great but the last couple episodes put it up there in Wire-level. The characters and setting are very memorable, with a lot of moving stories about the dehumanisation of sex workers and growth of their industry in 70s New York. Plus, despite never taking advantage of its subject matter, it's just FUN and entertaining in a way Simon's shows have never been.

06. Rick and Morty
Holy loving crap this show was so good this year. It's easy to gloss over the season's greatness in favour of yelling about spergy misogynist sauce-wanters, but at least like 6 of this season's episodes were loving incredible and all-timers for an animated sitcom, with some of the densest 22-minute scripting and most emotional character work I've seen in the medium. The best season of this show yet, but I have no idea how long Harmon and Roiland can keep balancing on this tightrope, arguably the finale was a bit of a slip

05. The Good Place
This was already high up in my top 20 last year just from the initial first several episodes being so good and then HOLY CRAP THEY BLEW UP EVERYTHING and the show became way more interesting but then oh i can see how s2 could be a weekly sitcom aga-OH NO THEY JUST SPED THROUGH ALL THAT IN ONE EPISODE and now it's just crazy and funny as heck and able to continue its more thoughtful ideas but with more elaborate execution. Could end up as Schur's best show ever which is saying a lot.

04. Patriot
The one underrated show moaned about in Couch Chat that actually deserved the praise! A very morose and funny spy dramedy with gorgeous composition and a great lead performance. While you can compare it to certain Coen works it's entirely its own thing with its own tone and one of the more unique TV shows I've seen in some time. So unbelievably excited for the second season!

03. Better Things
One of the most loving and humanistic pieces of television ever seen, Pamela Adlon's work directing, co-writing, and starring in every episode of this season was totally phenomenal. The whole show just feels so lived-in in a way a lot of sitcoms can't manage with five times the effort, while the more thoughtful and thematic side was always very meaningful, doing a fantastic job of getting you into Adlon's shoes and understanding how tough it can be to be a woman and deal with dudes' lovely behaviour and raise dipshit children but also you love them etc.

02. The Leftovers
The ending to what is, overall, going to most likely be the best show of this decade (depending on how you wanna count things like Breaking Bad and Mad Men) was almost completely perfect, sending most of its cast on a spiralling journey of self-discovery and finishing off multiple character arcs in perfect fashion, with at least three? four? of the best character-focused eps TV has ever seen. Plus one of the all-time great finales that satisfied basically everyone. Like it was gonna take a minor miracle for this to be not 1 on this list, no question.

Anyway my number 1 pick is a minor miracle.

01. Twin Peaks
Wally Brando. The Mitchum brothers. The nuke. The charred men. Kyle loving MacLachlan. Gordon/Albert dream team. Charleyne Yi screams. A group of showgirls and businessmen conga into an insurance office bearing gifts. Amanda Seyfried stares into the sky as the cocaine takes effect. Evil rises, and light to meet it. The creature in the box. Ike 'The Spike'. Lucy learns how cell phones work. Shaggy has a scuba-related breakdown. David Bowie is a talking tea kettle, or at least the smoke coming out of it. The Hutchenses! Janey-E! Laura Dern! Eamon Farren! Harry Dean Stanton! Kyle GODAMN MOTHERFUCKING MacLachlan, my dudes!!!

It makes no sense that this show existed, yet alone that it had all this stuff in it, yet alone that it all felt of one with each other.....but that's the power of David Lynch. That list isn't even half of the incredible poo poo that happens over the course of this 18-hour show. which perplexed, infuriated, and captured my heart every single week. Leftovers is probably the "better" show, but this one was so captivating, such a blast to watch, and just made my heart sour. I don't think we'll ever see another project like it, and no doubt it goes down in history as one of the best things to ever come out of the medium.

ok that's my dumb post over, i hope you liked whichever parts of it you read

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 2, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

At least it had Pip Torrens perfectly cast as Herr Star, to the point I completely forgot he was Tommy Lascelles from The Crown.

Holy poo poo what??? hahaha that's so good

The casting in Preacher in general is absolutely spot-on but man do they give them just nothing to do

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ok when we gettin results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I donít think any of my list have shown up yet NICE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I thought thatís what Zaggitz had done this year tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is there like a ďreveal on DiscordĒ thing happening or is it just all in this thread? I donít actually know if thatís happened for a few years now but I always liked it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cool! My prediction based on my vague memories of reading peopleís lists is that Good Place will win.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IT'S TIME Y'ALL

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

turns out rarity meant she's only going to BEGIN to write the posts then

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JUST EAT THE drat ORANGE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well heck, I can't dissuade anyone from watching Legion.

I got bored of B99 around the end of s3/beginning of s4 but this year has been a nice return to form imo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Rarity, thank you for going to all this trouble. I looked forward to this poll the last few years, enjoy contributing, and really appreciate everything you put into it. I hate awards shows, but this is a real kick, and I realize it's no small undertaking.

I'll save my big thank you for afterwards as always but YES absolutely

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on Star it absolutely has one of the best opening songs ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJ5ecrpp8k

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Youíve all seen Finding Frances, right?

Watch Finding Frances.

Donít worry I wonít have commentary for EVERY sho-well no promises

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yep, Cartoon Network are really loving up their major shows right now. Itís especially annoying for SU because each mini-arc follows on so closely from the last.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I couldnít tell you a single thing about this season other than the companion looked neat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This was good as hell! If people are/were put off by the first few eps it definitely improved a lot in the second half.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This show is good but I really think itís overrated as hell.

I didnít really have an issue with it being too depressing but Iím a morbid fucker

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stay away from this awesome show if you value such things as joy or love

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THIS SEASON WAS A MASTERPIECE AND MADE ME CRY SO MUCH

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very loveable and just pure fun with a role Marc Maron was built for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Created by Hollywoodís hottest young rapist, Max Landis!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ok itís only below two of my top ten, this I can deal with.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

He was in Dirk Gently, so close enough.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This was such a nice surprise for the end of the year! Episode 7 especially is loving hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ha I predicted in Discord this would be between 15-25. Was JUST right!

Also gently caress u Zaggitz

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Donít forget Defenders! That poo poo the bed pretty hard too!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Man, this really had its best season yet and itís such a shame most of the press was about misogynist McNugget fuckboys

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The mediocre pilot probably put a lot of people off this show. Which is a shame because it really is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Some dumb bits, but also massive dragons totally loving poo poo up gently caress yeah

• Locked thread