Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I daresay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That explains why my SA mobile app started playing a hallelujah chorus when I opened the thread

chia
Dec 23, 2005

ogopogo posted:

Using the tips from beerinator and toplitzen, my latest batch of buns came out dang near perfect.

Got drat :eyepop:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Alright, I think we're in a good spot on the buns.

Edit: This is a single, thicker patty, American cheese, burger sauce, and fresh onions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Goddamn

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you baking them in some sort of tray to get that texture on the lower part of the bun

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

are you baking them in some sort of tray to get that texture on the lower part of the bun

I've been using this pan -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QXW3Q4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I've also done the buns straight on a sheet pan with parchment paper, you still get a nice bun but it looks more like a big dinner roll than a hamburger bun. I'm gonna search for a tin with slightly shallower holes, but otherwise it works just fine.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Best burgs in my town are at Denny's. Gonna try to do a bar popup to teach these rubes what a good smash borg is. Wish me luck please

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What‘s with the recent buns? What did I miss? How do I make them? Help!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I made another fried onion smashburg

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dramatika posted:

I made another fried onion smashburg

Dang, I need to make fried onion smashburg.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tuo posted:

What‘s with the recent buns? What did I miss? How do I make them? Help!

i've tried the JW tazhong buns and they're good but these are just as good and a little bit faster

https://www.joshuaweissman.com/post/2-dollar-homemade-burger-but-cheaper

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8GVZkYEHE
I shameless crib this dude's recipe, but I add a couple minced pickled jalapeno slices, some pickled jalapeno juice, and a minced scotch bonnet and/or habenero into his sauce, and add fresh jalapeno slices to the pickles and sauce on the burg itself. It's god drat amazing. Maybe ignore my additions if you don't have a decent spice tolerance.

edit;. also, I always make doubles, because gently caress, smash burgs should be doubles.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Nothing complicated, but was just a quick burg on the barbie after basketball

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Terrible picture of a great burger. Burger Kill at Bumpin Burger. Double beef, double cheese, bacon, salad, onion rings and a curried potato scallop I think?

Also loads of chicken salt on the chips.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iajanus posted:

Nothing complicated, but was just a quick burg on the barbie after basketball

We are reaching critical bun-level here…is this the birth of a new universe?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Tiger bun, or giraffe bun depending on where you are.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Torquemada posted:

San Francisco/California calls it Dutch Crunch, but it's all the same recipes/concept.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Tiger buns best buns

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I was in Tulsa for one weekend of my life, ever. I still regret not finding time for a real fried onion burger while there.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
My amazing wife got me a ton of cool burger cooking accessories, and finally had a chance to put them to use the other day.

My first time grinding my own meat, was fun but learned a ton to improve the next batch. Homemade sourdough buns, burger sauce, iceberg lettuce, onion. Tasty as hell, lots to get better on.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ogopogo posted:

My amazing wife got me a ton of cool burger cooking accessories, and finally had a chance to put them to use the other day.

My first time grinding my own meat, was fun but learned a ton to improve the next batch. Homemade sourdough buns, burger sauce, iceberg lettuce, onion. Tasty as hell, lots to get better on.

Add some fresh jalapeño slices and you have my ideal burg. As is I’m afraid I can only give it a 96/100.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Trying out the new burger place near us

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That looks like the most delicious burger ever, and it's not at all because I'm hung-over. Definitely not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

One of these days I'll try peameal bacon on a burg

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
teriyaki burg'd again

caramelized fresh pineapple slices
spicy mayo
teriyaki sauce

I loving hate store made buns now but that's what I had available

oh and mini tots are good too

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
for christmas my wife bought me a meat grinder and a giant flat top for my grill. this wet weather can't leave soon enough.

anybody have a good meat blend i should try?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

yoohoo posted:

for christmas my wife bought me a meat grinder and a giant flat top for my grill. this wet weather can't leave soon enough.

I did a mix of chuck and sirloin for my first time doing my own grinding last month, turned out pretty good but still more lean than I’d like. Thinking of next time using fattier chuck and/or tossing in some pork fat to make it interesting.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Maybe throw some short rib or brisket in there

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

As a Dane, I feel obliged to point out that you can grill in any weather, up to and including snow - all that matters is how much you want burgers.

EDIT: Turns out - it doesn't, on average, rain nearly as much in Denmark as I thought it did compared to other places - but my point still stands. :colbert:
On the other hand, it seems like a lot of the places where it rains a lot more are also a lot closer to the equator - so it might feel different when it rains there?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 3, 2022

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

yoohoo posted:

Equal parts chuck, brisket and short rib. My go to, and most fancy burger places have some variation of it.

Next project, bulk sausage like breakfast or Italian. Freshly-ground pork makes a massive difference, and being able to perfectly tailor to your tastes is great.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As a Dane, I feel obliged to point out that you can grill in any weather, up to and including snow - all that matters is how much you want burgers.

I've shoveled a path to my grill to make Valentine's day steaks before

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Equal parts chuck, short rib, and brisket it is!

It rains heavily and regularly throughout the winter where I am and my grill isn’t covered, so if I want to smash properly I’d be standing in the rain for way too long. Nobody wants that.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What happens if you use too much fat in your burger mix? Is it just too delicious?

Also I've been watching a lot of Gordon Ramsay recently and he mixes all sorts of stuff into his burgers, where does the thread stand on this? On the one hand I've read enough here and watched enough youtube to think bad, on the other hand Gordon Ramsay?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What happens if you use too much fat in your burger mix? Is it just too delicious?

Also I've been watching a lot of Gordon Ramsay recently and he mixes all sorts of stuff into his burgers, where does the thread stand on this? On the one hand I've read enough here and watched enough youtube to think bad, on the other hand Gordon Ramsay?

I've used mince that's close to 63/35 meat to fat ratio and it came out incredible when smashing and it effectively shallow fries in its own juices. It also was a huge loving mess to deal with.

irt to mixing stuff into burgers, the seppos go troppo and will claim it is meat loaf or whatever but also gently caress them, do whatever tastes good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mixing extra poo poo into burgers should be done sparingly or with a specific recipe. just tossing stuff in is likely to result in a patty that falls apart. it's also not very useful for smashburgs.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ain’t no green pepper in hamburger…what you need eggs for

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Look up a Chapli Kebab and imagine the possibilities of putting spices in the burg and shallow frying it

I’ve made it and it is delicious, needs minimal topping/dressing

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Burgë made of beef salt pepper nothing else I curse you for three generations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You shall not mix stuff into them or season them; for I, the Lord your burg, am a jealous burger, punishing the chefs for the sin of the patties to the third and fourth generation of those who ate me