Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you find you have to clean out your grinder frequently during use? Mine gums up and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if its normal to be a pain to use.

Are you freezing your meat and blade first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you find you have to clean out your grinder frequently during use? Mine gums up and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if its normal to be a pain to use.

Coasterphreak posted:

Are you freezing your meat and blade first?

This is definitely the most important thing, I freeze very part of the grinder, including the housing. Also, the meat should be just starting to freeze. Like, you should feel hard edges on the cubes. Beyond that, make sure that you trim off any really thick membrane/silverskin, and gristle. If the flat side of your grinder blade is not sitting close enough to the grinder plate, that would cause trouble.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Gonna be honest.

Are you sure Earl is a cat? Just eating cat food does not sound very cat like.

He'll meow at you, stare you dead in the eye for a few seconds, then barf on the floor, stand right next to it, and go back to staring you dead in the eye. Is cat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Sometimes Food posted:

Gonna be honest.

Are you sure Earl is a cat? Just eating cat food does not sound very cat like.

One of my girlfriend’s cats will turn his nose up at any human food you offer him, until you break out the ice cream. Then the fat gently caress comes running (waddling,) his eyes go big, he sticks out his whiskers, and demands to lick the spoon.

Obligate carnivore my rear end.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

We had a cat (who was awesome) that had a taste for chicken.

If you tossed some chicken in the typical height kitchen trashcan he would take a flying leap into it which of course would make it fall over...cleanup on aisle one after he got done with it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

This is definitely the most important thing, I freeze very part of the grinder, including the housing. Also, the meat should be just starting to freeze. Like, you should feel hard edges on the cubes. Beyond that, make sure that you trim off any really thick membrane/silverskin, and gristle. If the flat side of your grinder blade is not sitting close enough to the grinder plate, that would cause trouble.

He'll meow at you, stare you dead in the eye for a few seconds, then barf on the floor, stand right next to it, and go back to staring you dead in the eye. Is cat.

I have been putting the meat in the freezer but for not long enough. Next time I'll try with a good trim job then a longer freeze time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have a burg recipe for you from the Dagwood Cookbook. Guess the year of publication.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HAVING MEAT SURFACES ABOUT 3 INCHES FROM THE UNIT

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Sounds like my ex-wife,

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a burg recipe for you from the Dagwood Cookbook. Guess the year of publication.

This is a toughie. '52?

edit meant 1952.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I just booked flights to America, gonna ask for beetroot on my burgers and have people look at me like I shat my pants

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Big Willy Style posted:

I just booked flights to America, gonna ask for beetroot on my burgers and have people look at me like I shat my pants

The reaction you get depends entirely upon what part of America you''re visiting. If it's on the west coast, you'll probably just get "this isnt oz m8"

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Flying into LA then road trippin along the South. Realised I will be there for Memorial Day, gonna have to weasel my way into someone's celebration (is it a celebration or a sombre sort of day?) for some burger action

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've never heard of someone actually celebrating memorial day. It's a day off for most government/corporate workers, and there are some stores that use it as an excuse to have sales.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is a toughie. '52?

edit meant 1952.

Good guess, 1947. Rereleased several times, with, incredibly, no updates to the recipes.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Big Willy Style posted:

Flying into LA then road trippin along the South. Realised I will be there for Memorial Day, gonna have to weasel my way into someone's celebration (is it a celebration or a sombre sort of day?) for some burger action

It's the traditional start of the summer pool and grilling season (with Labor Day being the end), few/no people actually connect it to commemorating people who died in battle.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Ok, gonna try to crash a bbq

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Blotto Skorzany posted:

few/no people actually connect it to commemorating people who died in battle.

But for the people it does matter to (I think you underestimate the amount), it really loving matters. so don't wish anyone a "happy memorial day"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Don't forget to take pictures.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

Call it a cookout or a grill, when I first moved over from Australia to NC I got the biggest dumbest fuckin stares when I talked about a bbq as an event instead of a specific method of preparing pork.

e: or use as much aussie slang as you can, honestly you can get away with so much poo poo here if you start saying things like "fair dink" and "no wuckers" whenever

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've always wanted a catch-all weird response people didn't know how to answer to, for those times when I'm compelled to reply but don't want to talk.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Whalley posted:

Call it a cookout or a grill

What? "You guys having a BBQ?" People will know what you're talking about.

"You guys having a cookout?" Definitely understood.

"You guys having a grill?" What the hell?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you grilling!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You lot 'avin' a bit of a grill, eh?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

What? "You guys having a BBQ?" People will know what you're talking about.
I mean maybe now but in the ancient far-off time of 2010 nobody had a goddamn clue what I was talking about or what I was saying whenever I spoke with anyone here in NC. I got told "what? you mean like a grill? yeah, come over to grill, we're having some friends around" like three times before I learned to stop asking about a BBQ as an event

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

I mean maybe now but in the ancient far-off time of 2010 nobody had a goddamn clue what I was talking about or what I was saying whenever I spoke with anyone here in NC. I got told "what? you mean like a grill? yeah, come over to grill, we're having some friends around" like three times before I learned to stop asking about a BBQ as an event

I know a lot of North Carolinians who are strangely pedantic when it comes to using BBQ as the name of a function or event. Even though they know drat well what you mean. Read some Wittgenstein, fuckers.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I will drop rural qld slang with a sprinkle of aboriginal English to really gently caress with the seppos. People in Sydney don't know what I'm talking about sometimes.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

We flew over from Qld to the US and did a similar road trip (Vegas to Memphis via the South) at the end of 2017 and it was great finding out just how many things we said or did had the effect of completely dumbfounding the people we would meet. The bbq restaurant in Austin was certainly a bizarre culinary experience, just for the weird combinations of food and ordering process (and Jesus Christ why so much horrifically sweet iced tea???).

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I know a lot of North Carolinians who are strangely pedantic when it comes to using BBQ as the name of a function or event. Even though they know drat well what you mean. Read some Wittgenstein, fuckers.

As a mostly native North Carolinian, I can tell you for a fact that these people are assholes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Currently having my annual debate: do I clean the grill or replace it?

e; Spoiler: I'm going to do the thing that doesn't require carrying a new grill up 5 flights of steps.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 4, 2019

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

As a mostly native North Carolinian, I can tell you for a fact that these people are assholes.

Yeah, I grew up in NC too and I would judge you quietly if you asked about coming to my house for a bbq, but I wouldn't be an rear end about it. Bless your heart.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mushroom swiss

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That is a drat fine looking burger.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Seconding this!

A local place does a "Hangover" burger with a hash brown patty inside, and is served with a "Bloody Mary" dipping sauce.

This burger came to mind when the wife and I were talking about where to go for lunch ... and I got pictures this time.

I didn't ask the staff, but I think that the dipping sauce is simply mayo with some Zing Zang mixed in. The side of poutine has smoked brisket in it.

... and cross-section after eating the first half ...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This burger came to mind when the wife and I were talking about where to go for lunch ... and I got pictures this time.

I didn't ask the staff, but I think that the dipping sauce is simply mayo with some Zing Zang mixed in. The side of poutine has smoked brisket in it.

I had a Pavlovian reaction to this.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Tried my hands at Serious Eats animal style double double (ala In-and-Out). Turned out great!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

This post inspired me to try to make a breakfast burger. It didn't photograph great, but it was really good.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Looks great!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Snowmankilla posted:

Tried my hands at Serious Eats animal style double double (ala In-and-Out). Turned out great!

Holy poo poo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Snowmankilla posted:

:perfect:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Finally got to try Betty's Burgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice