Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hell of a burg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

you are so close my friend. next time, fill the jalapenos with cream cheese, wrap them in bacon, add a splash of worcestershire sauce, smoke them lightly, then deep fry them and place them between the topmost cheese and below the condiments on the top bun.

I'm marginally lactose intolerant (no milk, cream or soft cheeses, processed and hard cheese fine) so cream cheese can't go anywhere near me. Also that sounds a lot more time consuming than "dig pickled Jallys out of jar, drop into pile of caramelising onions" :p

Keeping my 2 and 4 year olds busy so I could do this was hard enough!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don Dongington posted:

I'm marginally lactose intolerant (no milk, cream or soft cheeses, processed and hard cheese fine) so cream cheese can't go anywhere near me. Also that sounds a lot more time consuming than "dig pickled Jallys out of jar, drop into pile of caramelising onions" :p

Keeping my 2 and 4 year olds busy so I could do this was hard enough!

yeah totally fair. I will say though, that the best my 2yo has ever behaved was when I sat her in a chair next to the smoker.
Just straight chillin in a camping chair staring at the thing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Mine recently walked up to my Webber and poked it after being told by numerous adults over the course of several hours that it is hot and will burn, so yeah. I've found no two 2 year olds alike. We have 4 kids under 5 in our extended family and they're all absolutely random.

She was fine, made a lot of noise but wasn't even 1st degree, lucky kid.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don Dongington posted:

Mine recently walked up to my Webber and poked it after being told by numerous adults over the course of several hours that it is hot and will burn, so yeah. I've found no two 2 year olds alike. We have 4 kids under 5 in our extended family and they're all absolutely random.

She was fine, made a lot of noise but wasn't even 1st degree, lucky kid.

My kid kept trying to touch it and I kept saying "no. hot!" but she didn't get it, so I dunked her hand in the wood chip water bucket and let her go at it.
She quickly learned what "hot" meant and was unharmed. Now she likes to warn me whenever I reach into the oven or grab a pan on the stove :kimchi:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I know it's not a burger, but is there any reason not to use smashburger technique with sausage?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Anjow posted:

I know it's not a burger, but is there any reason not to use smashburger technique with sausage?

Not that I can think of. There's a place near me that makes a great bacon ranch chicken "smashburger" and it's delicious.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anjow posted:

Just be careful who you tell to smash your sausage.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just be careful who you tell to smash your sausage.

I will only be smashing my own sausage.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anjow posted:

I will only be smashing my own sausage.

A true goon.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Anjow posted:

higher fat content might make the crispy edges crispier since you should cook it to well done (not like smash burgs are cooked to medium anyway), but i don't see how it would turn out poorly

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Using my homemade solid steel burger press. Golden color is because I've treated it in the oven with oil since it was highly rust prone. Stainless would be a good choice here, and cast iron of course. I use it cold to flatten the burgers. I suppose you could use it hot too.

Didn't take photos of the finished burger as it wasn't very photogenic. Most of my burgers are kinda poor looking, often toast for bread, and no sallads most of the time. Just dill pickles and onions is how I like it. A lot of dill pickles.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Didn't take photos of the finished burger as it wasn't very photogenic. Most of my burgers are kinda poor looking, often toast for bread, and no sallads most of the time. Just dill pickles and onions is how I like it. A lot of dill pickles.
I'm not very good at taking pictures of food, and burgers in general don't photograph well unless a food stylist has been at them - but don't let that prevent you from sharing your love of burgers.

Also hard agree on the pickles.

What I'm saying is, we need :justpost::burger:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Best practice for burger shots is to remember halfway through eating and take a pic of your raggedy-rear end bitten burg

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Went and checked out a new smashed burg cart

Double with cheese, with smash sauce. Got the fries with cheese and smash sauce. It was almost too good for pics, but I managed one.

qutius fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 27, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Got a Culver's double butterburger w cheese while running errands :whatup:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FEATURING RED ONION!!!!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

The Beast Burger. It contains chuck, wild boar, New Zealand elk. I don’t think I jived with the game meat but it was a good try.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheese curds forever

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Gatts posted:

The Beast Burger. It contains chuck, wild boar, New Zealand elk. I don’t think I jived with the game meat but it was a good try.

Is that from a restaurant in Cleveland? I see Great Lakes Brewing company glasses.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

mariooncrack posted:

Is that from a restaurant in Cleveland? I see Great Lakes Brewing company glasses.

It is indeed. It is from Gunsleman’s Tavern which won 2018 award for best burger. I’ll have to try a normal burger because I wasn’t whelmed by it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

double smash, caramelized onions, dill pickles, lil bit of romaine and mayo at the bottom, toasted bun

Made a batch last night because the day before my wife was putting away the big spatula and was like WE NEED SMASHBURGERS. I may not do much but I aim to please :)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

mmm, dat lace

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Classic burg.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

qutius posted:

Went and checked out a new smashed burg cart

Double with cheese, with smash sauce. Got the fries with cheese and smash sauce. It was almost too good for pics, but I managed one.

No frills, just burg.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Classic burg.

This is art.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MrYenko posted:

No frills, just burg.

This is my ideal burg.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Moey posted:

This is my ideal burg.

They make an excellent berg, crispy, well seasoned, and awesome smash sauce.

And only $5. If anyone else is in Portland, the cart is Mid City SmashBurger

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ipi6jzQ7s

Huh, tartar sauce on a burg? I think I'm into it. I'll have to give it a try next time I make a home burg.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is smash sauce?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Swenson's burgers are amazing. It's my actual favorite burger. I think he put WAY too much brown sugar in the meat but it's a drat fine burg. It's really good with a less-sweet bbq sauce like Stubbs spicy.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

God those regional burgers look good. Gonna try the Galley Boy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What is smash sauce?

Mustard, mayo and thousand island usually.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Casu Marzu posted:

This post made me try Culver's for the first time yesterday. Very solid classic double. I went surf and turf and got fried shrimp, which were also quite nice. Thank you the inspiration.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Mustard, mayo and thousand island usually.

Fractal mayo

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Galley Boy was kinda gross when I got it but you be the judge. I’ll be damned if Swensons isn’t one of the top burg options in Northeast Ohio tho

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I had a galley boy once, and besides thinking there was just too much sauce on it, my main thought was "this is weirdly sweet, why is this so sweet"

so seeing that they put brown sugar in their beef makes sense.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I find it slightly alarming that we're all talking about my favorite mom and pop burger place suddenly. I saw that First we Feast video and put it on my watch later list but I never imagined it'd be a Swensons burg. Holy crap.

e:

Hypnolobster posted:

Dirty little double bacon cheese from a local drive-in place. This is a particularly sloppy bastard but it's still delicious. Their buns are absolutely astonishing.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 5, 2021

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Let’s all get together for a Swensons burger orgy after COVID

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I had a galley boy once, and besides thinking there was just too much sauce on it, my main thought was "this is weirdly sweet, why is this so sweet"

so seeing that they put brown sugar in their beef makes sense.

I didn't know they put brown sugar in their beef. That would explain why my diabetic friend's blood sugar spiked after eating Swenson's.

Every time I've had Swensons it was mediocre. There's usually a culver's nearby my local Swenson's and I rather go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Never had Culvers before, its about the same distance I'd have to drive to get Swensons, whats the best thing to order?