Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I'll bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I saw 2 new replies notification for this thread and my heart sank.
Then I remembered that this thread isn't hosed and got excited and clicked it.

Then I get here and it's you fuckwits talking about chicken.

POST SOME GODDAMN BURGS PEOPLE.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Samizdata posted:

I need that burg in me NOW! And another to keep it from being lonely...

And a third, since three's a party...

If you think that looks good, you should try their Lamb Burger.
https://www.facebook.com/burgerbachcarytown/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Random Hero posted:

I highly recommend anyone going through Chicago to go by this place. I think this burger was $11 and worth every penny.

I can't even get a Five guys burger for $11 That's loving fantastic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I don't remember *why* exactly, but I remember the contact point of the ball of meat is supposed to cook in the griddle for a bit prior to the smash. Can anyone remind me why? Whatever the reason, it works better when I do it than when I forget.

so it doesn't stick to the pan or your spatula.

I actually keep it in ball form and roll it over after i sear one side. THEN I smash so nothing sticks at all. Then flip.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well now you know what to do for next year. Burg for lunch. Bird for dinner.

not emptyquoting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ultimate Mango posted:

^^^^^ Please do

Getting back to Burgin: I need help with my Lettuce wrap game. I have tried nice big green leafy lettuce and it just falls apart. Teach me goons so I can burg again (cutting carbs ssssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkksssssss).

I like butter or bibb lettuce for wraps. It holds up well enough.
Iceburg is really crispy and strong but it also breaks and wilts easily.

You could also get weird and use bok choy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moey posted:

That looks awesome.

Ate some Culver's last week (don't have them anywhere near me). Double butter burger with bacon and some fried curds.

I'm so sad I didn't get this when I was in Texas.

I did get this though:

there were a couple more actual burgers in the bag. I don't know why I didn't take pictures. I am sorry.

I'm still pretty upset I didn't get to go on a food tour of Dallas.
Not as upset as I am about not sleeping or eating for 2 straight days though but enough e/n bullshit. this is the burg thread!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

What he said^

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Pro-click right there.
Babish is the best.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ranter posted:

tried smash burgin again last night with the leftover mince. Patties stuck to the cast iron skillet. Higher heat? Lower heat? Leave them on longer? The same batch of mince worked great last time I dunno what I did differently.

Better seasoning (I use bacon grease or grapeseed oil but it doesn't matter, just keep seasoning it) + higher fat content in meat + and just a touch of oil to grease/clean the pan before heating.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gwaihir posted:

The pizza steel does make for the best burging though:

The reason that pizza steel does better for burging is because it heats more evenly and it's a smoother surface than a modern cast iron pan. If you can find a really old school cast iron pan, they're usually thicker and have been sanded down to almost a mirror finish before seasoning.

Or you could just do your own:
http://www.instructables.com/id/San...illet-Cookware/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ranter posted:

I got this monster after recommendations in this thread:

Smashing is so much easier now. This is my second attempt at smashed burgs, sorry for slightly blurry photos. Also the supermarket only had 85/15.

No seriously I need a link for that giant fuckoff spatula.
Also I found a burg pic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

Why the gently caress is the cheese on the bottom

https://twitter.com/baekdal/status/924312294439444480

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sliders and mashed potatoes. I don't know why the mashed potatoes, that's what the wife wanted.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Samizdata posted:

Not seeing a downside here. Good grub, and a happy wife.

Gonna roll the leftovers into little balls, dredge in egg and roll in breadcrumbs then deep fry.
Fried mashed potato balls. gently caress yeah.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think this time I'm gonna try a cast-iron pan and smash with a rolling pin on a small no-handle flat-bottomed pot (I don't have any spatulas that would reach past the relatively high edges of the pan)

dude, just buy a decent spatula.
It will change your life.

Also I tried smashing with the bottom of a very well seasoned cast iron pan and it worked, but it was messy. It's also really hard to gauge your smash.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there anywhere cheap I can get one of them nice steel griddle slabs to put over a gas stovetop?

unfortunately all the good ones are expensive it looks like

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ranter posted:

The only acceptable reason for no cheese on a burger is lactose intolerance, and even then you should just do it and then spray liquid poo poo all over the place because it's worth it.

Kosher burgs are a thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kloa posted:

Has anyone tried a tortilla press to make really thin patties? 🤔

I just got one for my birthday and this is exactly what it's first use was. So good, especially if you use wax paper.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I eat baby skin posted:

I'd eat em, but I wouldn't call them smash burgers. You need a better smasher, some more elbow grease, or both. Also, if you are cooking and flipping the burgers before you smash as it looks like from the cute little crispy circles in the second picture, you are doing it wrong. Drop, smash, flip, remove. Also, maybe it is just bad timing with taking the pictures and it dripping off the steel, but you should have a lot more grease after smashing, so maybe your steel wasn't hot enough too?

I'm a fan of ball, drop, flip, smash, flip. That way you have a little crispy spot in the middle to help the patty separate from the spatula after you smash.

Brawnfire posted:

I've tried it a couple times with the bit of cook before the smash, and it helps it release better, but it's a ball of meat at that stage and not a patty. Plus, if your spatula has enough of an edge you should be able to scrape it up without the extra effort.
Yeah like that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bogart posted:

Shake Shack's mushroom burger is pretty good. And the double that's one beef, one mushroom. It is all satisfactory to a level beyond the usual chains, imo.

I was just about to say, shake shack's best burger isn't even a burger. It's a lava cheese mushroom sandwich.
Overhyped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bogart posted:

"I can just chop with my knife!"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Spunkburger was good. Not pictured: bbq sauce all over the butter sauteed onion crispies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ogopogo posted:

Made a bunch of smashburgs for a friends backyard pool party. I worked at In-n-Out in high school like, 15 years ago and wrapping a burger in pamona wrap came back as fluid and easy as though I hadn't missed a day. They were tasty burgs - American cheese on the top patty, cheddar on the bottom patty. There's some onion in there too.