Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Waffle and Crinkle cut are good and Penn Station has good fast food fries. Basically what you do is to low boil them for a bit, then put in fridge, then low fry them for first pass, then let rest then high temp fry them for final pass. The point of boiling them a bit is to create texture on the surface for crisp. Do it right and they’re delicate and kind of fall aparty. Hence why Crinkle cut and Waffle are usually so good, more crisp surface texture.

If you google Penn Station fries and take a close look at some of the images you will notice their surface is just a bit more textured than the more straight level Five Guys fries in most pics. Gives that edge.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

beerinator posted:

Fatso's Last Stand double smash burger in Chicago. So good. Not as smashed as some, and the patties are thicker, but still a good choice.

Looks good to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
What mix of beef do you use for your smashburgers? I've tried with regular ground beef, and I can't get it right. It ends up like a regular patty.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

Just ground beef, but don't get it too lean. 20% fat at the very least. 70/30 is my usual.

I used 80/20, maybe that's why. I was wondering if a mix of sirloin and chuck or brisket or something would work better.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Rodeo Goat was great when I was in Texas in 2014. I also did like Jake's and this other place that I can't remember but was like a redneck bar (not Redneck Heaven). Whattaburger is dope. In and Out was there too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Anyone else think Johnny Rocket's is good? What about Harvey's? I used to love that in Canada as a child in the 90s.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 4, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
I don’t like the use steam to melt cheese method so that cheese and burg look beautiful to me. Let the cheese melt as the burger finishes cooking and let it be. Only thing I’d do is to have one slice per patty

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
He's a pro follow on instagram. @gurmefoodreal

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Burging in Orlando. Highball and Harvest at the Ritz, Pimento Bacon Cheeseburger.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Airport burgin’

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Treadwell Park Manhattan Burgin

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

The Velvet at Secret Sandwich Society with pimento loaded fries

It was cooked perfectly

Also if in LA try Fatburger if they have it as long as you’re open to chains like In and Out

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
I lived in Texas for 1 year and was told by my boss to slow down on Whataburger cause I was gonna gain weight if I didn't. And as much as I would enjoy it if it came to Ohio, I kinda do want it to stay a Texas thing. I think certain places being a rare or unique experience rather than common adds charm and good memories and makes a place worth visiting.

I had good burgers in Texas, particularly Rodeo Goat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
A Texan Burger would be like....

Poppyseed Bun
Blueberry BBQ Sauce
White Queso with little bits of Ghost Pepper
Applewood Peppered Bacon
Smoked Brisket
Brown Sugar-Paprika-Chili Rubbed 1/3 lb Sirloin Burger
Brown Sugar-Paprika-Chili Rubbed 1/3 lb Sirloin Burger
Hatch Chili Relish
Poppyseed Bun

Wrapped in a copy of the Declaration of Independence, held together with a knife that has a literal American flag on the handle, through the middle

Crispy Steak French Fries sprinkled with ashes from a fallen soldier from the Alamo served with Horseradish Aioli

Chocolate Mocha Milkshake with whipped cream and cherry spiked with Izkali Reposado Tequila

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m not 100% on the blueberry, but otherwise this checks out

Could try Blue Cheese and change it around a bit. I just wanted red, white and blue in the burger.

Gamerofthegame posted:

a texan burger would have texas toast

idiot.

FUUUUUCCKKK how could I miss that??!!?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
First we Feast or the Eggslut guy has the Burger Show where he gets this burger expert on who knows some awesome poo poo about regional burgers that is actually cool and good.

https://youtu.be/cdvZC91YpMs

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 26, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

A great burger in Chicago, maybe the best, from Au Cheval. Put your name in and wait 3 hours, take a walk, and come back to a good meal.

This is the first time I can say a burger and the place oozes sexy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah one of these days I gotta make it there. What was your wait time?

Was told 2-3 hours. Went back after an hour and a half to check and the guy managed to give us counter space. I, honestly, recommend to get that if you can and watch the action as they work. The girl behind on fry duty was really nice when my cousin found the fries too salty, she made a new batch for us. It is a pretty heavy burger, imo, in that it felt "rich" so I think I would have been good with a single patty and bacon. I didn't do fried egg and the burger seemed to be cooked medium as it had some pink in it. It's relatively simple burger with some kind of burger sauce, pickle slices and also a side kosher, and brioche bun. The fries were good too. I loved the setting and decor though at night it is dark. I love the seating in the booth.

I also recommend Little Goat Diner for breakfast which is in the same area, I had a great avocado toast and they fried my eggs perfectly the way I like.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 8, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Guys....guys....what is this? It's at Norma's Bar in New South Wales.

It's maple bacon donut, double cheeseburger, with twix spread. Is someone brave enough in that area to try this?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Big Willy Style posted:

It's near me and no, I won't try it. loving stupid

Do it...for me. Please. How much does it cost? I'll send you money to buy it. Just record the experience and share it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Big Willy Style posted:

I can't find a price but I'm guessing at least 16aud bases on other menu items.

Are you willing to eat the abomination? How can I send cash $20 dolla or whatever to you? Can you take pics of the experience and post?

EDIT: This is one of the stranger things I've done. Try to bribe a stranger on the internet to eat something disgusting and share the experience with everyone. I feel like a creepy billionaire asking an indecent proposal or something.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
My ex wife called me a burger, literally. She said "You are a burger. Look at you."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
I just had the best meal and a great experience at 4 Charles Prime Rib in Manhattan. They also own and manage Au Cheval. The burger here was better than Au Cheval and was the best thing I’ve ever eaten. And the chocolate pie is even better. I had to stop after a few bites and soak in the bliss for a moment. Make reservations and go, enjoy good atmosphere.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 9, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
So I had great service and I’m almost confident I was taking to Brendan who is the chef that owns all these restaurants. He was really happy with my enthusiasm of the food and put dessert on the house. He was really cool.

Burger, no bacon or egg, fries, English Cut Prime Rib, 2 Corpse Reviver, 1 Rob Roy, 1 Pepsi came to $150. I don’t know what the dessert would have cost. I tipped $50 cause the whole experience was great.

The burger without any additions there is like $22.

My cousin had the Prime Rib and he said it was good but wasn’t as enthusiastic as I was about the burger.

The chocolate pie blew both of us away.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 9, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
$22 for burger, $10 for fries, $20 for my drink. So $55 is indeed right before tip. It was worth it. I had contemplated of adding Bacon for $9 but my cousin can't eat pork and I wanted him to have a taste.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m amazed people will pay 10 bucks for fries. I have myself and was wondering what the gently caress I was doing paying 10 bucks for fries.

The best fries I've had are at NoMad Bar at the NoMad hotel in Manhattan. Not only is it a rosemary type fry but it has a slight citrus edge to it and it is surprising how good it is.

In fact next time you go to Manhattan, start off at NoMad Bar then finish the night at 4 Charles Prime Rib. Realize you spent $150 on drinks and dinner. It's completely worth it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Grilled a fine double maple bacon cheeseburger with chipotle mayo and blueberry ghost pepper hot sauce.

Made a rub using brown sugar, smoked paprika, cayenne, white pepper, Himalayan pink salt, garlic salt, onion powder, coriander and cumin

Next time I’ll ask the butcher to do 70/30 chuck/fat split and see if I can griddle it

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 15, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Thanks, what's the GDQ thread?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
I’m currently in Africa, ate at Carnivore which is like a Brazilian BBQ where they bring out skewers of meat and shave off stuff like crocodile and ostrich but actually kind of wanting a burger.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Moey posted:

Finally got to try out Au Cheval on my current trip back to Chicago. Very impressed.

Au Cheval is great. 4 Charles Prime Rib is better, the best, the best burger, chocolate pie and meal I have ever eaten in my life.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

A Sometimes Food posted:

Tangentially burger related, McDonalds down here is selling bottles of Big Mac sauce. Just had some on a leftover turkey and vegetable sandwich and that works uncannily well.

I dare you to film yourself chugging the bottle down and share it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Krustyburger w/ cheese n bacon, Kurly fries, and a Duff Lite. It was good, beer was fresh

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Burger at Citron at the Marriott in Grande Lakes Orlando

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Highball and Harvest, a great Burger

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Just burgin urrrveryday.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Niiiiiiccccee.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost
Goddamn that is gourmet.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Didn’t get the size of the patties right for the bun but here’s a triple habanero guacamole hot bbq bacon cheeseburger all homemade. It was delish, patties cooked just right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Nap Ghost

Nailed it perfect this time. Formed party right and cooked perfectly.