Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

So fancy. How much do they get for that?

$11 as mentioned above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
:getout:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
One of my favorite burgin' tools I have is a classic Tupperware hamburger press and freezer tubs.

Makes perfect patties every time and you can freeze them individually for future burgin.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

I've never seen a burger press that makes a patty big enough.

I think my press is about 6" in diameter and with about a 6oz burg ball, it makes a half inch burg patty. Note, this isn't ideal for smash burgs, instead for good cookout grillin burgs.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Crossposting from the Kitchen Equipment thread.

I’m at home and don’t have access to my KitchenAid mixer. What are some good meat grinders? I found a burger recipe in a new cookbook I just got that calls for home-ground burgers using three kinds of beef.

food processor and very chilled meat

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

you can also grind in a food processor somewhat decently, and you can always just finely dice the meat for a rough grind

I mentioned that but he shot me down because he doesn't have one and would rather spend money on something he can only use for meat instead of a super handy kitchen appliance.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Did you already buy it?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

wormil posted:

Long version: Decades back in Anchorage there was a burger joint owned by an Asian family that served like 30 (pulling that number from my rear end) types of burgers. They would put anything and everything (carrots, cabbage, on a burger in combinations that back then were extraordinary but the burgers were always delicious. The place burned down and was never rebuilt but I would like to try some new burger variations at home and am looking for inspiration. I've done pineapple + chipotle, pineapple + jalapeno, fried eggs + fried crispy onions, cucumbers + tomato + red onions, several different slaws, all awesome, but I want more ideas.

TLDR: I'm looking for burger topping ideas a little off the beaten path.

Shredded spaghetti squash. It's crunch like onion but adds a nice different flavor profile

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I had the urge to smash some burgs.

1/4lb 80/20 Beef Ball. Smashed on a 500+ baking steel to 1/4" thick. Salt and peppered, flipped, S&P'd again. Added some low moisture mozz. Then topped with bacon on a toasted bun.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Yeah, you're right. Next time i'll do it on the grill outside!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Whalley posted:

Call it a cookout or a grill

What? "You guys having a BBQ?" People will know what you're talking about.

"You guys having a cookout?" Definitely understood.

"You guys having a grill?" What the hell?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

MrYenko posted:

.19¢ hamburgers were the poo poo when I was a kid.

Man, I wish i could get 5 burgers for one cent!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Had the urge for a thick burg.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Hold onto your butts

It's chicken time

The Phat Bird, from Perth's 3230 smoke and grill.

Looks interesting and all but that aint a burg. Needs to be a burg else it's just The Dinner (Thread) you had.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

Not to get all food-safety on the thread, but isn't the reason that you can eat steak rare that the bacteria tend to sit on the outside and get killed by the heat, whereas if you mince the meat you have to cook it through to kill the bacteria?
Everything else about it is loving fantastic, though.

You should try beef tar-tar next time you see it on a menu. Blow your mind!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
That is no burg; that is a chix sammich

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'm making some thicc burgs tonight. Can't wait.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
5.5 ounce 80/20. S&P with low moisture mozz on a vienna roll, butterized and toastafied.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Most times I use fresh ground pep but today I used my beef ribs rub / almost 2 to 1 course ground to kosher salt mix.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

maybe it is just me but I put a ton of s&p on my burgers. That is the last meal I care to pay attention to nutritional guidelines

It's also a S&P mixture. So while there is a lot of salt going on there, it's not completely salt.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Nice burg! I worry that any attempt at moving the plate will compromise it and the burg will be on the floor!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Simple thick bacon chee burgz. Just S&P on the beef. They came out extremely pink but were actually cooked to over 130F when taken off the grill then rested for about 10 mins while I finished up some other stuff. Bunz were a bit big for the burg but it's what I had; I feel they're still better than Raikiri's

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I totally agree but it was definitely cooked to temp.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
No burgz in over two weeks. Not even a holiday weekend burg?!

I holiday burged. 80/20 beef, mozz and ched with bacon in between on a toastified and butterized bun.

Edit: Thats probably a bug that landed on the cheese. Still 10/10.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 26, 2020

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

I burg'd

... Used 1/2 lb of ground beef to make three smashed patties.

At first I was going to comment on the lack of cheese but then I saw you triple stacked your burg like a boss. Keep on burging!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have redeemed myself with another attempt.

That bacon game and cheese melt is on point. Be proud.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

I wanted to redeem myself for the last chicken burger I made, because it wasn't quite up to spec. So this one is with brioche buns, some Gouda cheese, and bacon:

A chicken sandwich will never be up to spec because it aint no burger unfortunately.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

Mods? MODS!
No Burger Shaming, please!

No shame as it looks like a tasty sammy, I'm just point out facts.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
When you get a big thick burg from a restaurant, do you just dive in or do you cut it in half and work from the middle to the outside?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Fenris13 posted:

Maybe by the middle he means the edge side where you cut at?

Correct. It's like cutting a PB&J sandwich. You don't eat the all the crust first. You start at the edge or middle and work your way through the rest of the sammy.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Olpainless posted:

A solid snake?

I've not burged (or posted) in a while.

Figured it's time to correct that.

Fried chicken thighs, marinated in my own special blend carolina reaper hot sauce, with a herb seasoned flour dredge, topped with cheddar slices, lettuce, shallot, and a garlic, dill and pickle mayo, in brioche.

Working from home has it's upsides.

Ya still haven't burged in awhile.

Top notch chicken sammy though. Definitely would.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Jorge Bell posted:

Bacon is a terrible burger topping and overpowers everything.

Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Raikiri posted:

Made fried chicken thigh burgs w/ garlic aioli and baked some buns for staff meal today.

mighty fine Chicken Sandwich, but tis not a burg