Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would have voted for Burger Thread II: Electric Burgaloo but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait why would you smash your smash burger on a cutting board? Smash it in the pan.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The smashing in the pan gives you better surface contact and consequently a better crust

Also,

Gamerofthegame posted:

You don't like give it the people's elbow or something, you just squish it down with a spatula.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got this for my burg smashing needs. Its thick enough and big enough to smash, and the beveled edge is good for scraping and flipping. I could probably sharpen the edge if I wanted it to be even better.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I have that same one, it owns really hard. (It is quite large if you're using an 8" pan but is perfection on big pans or griddles)

I've taken to doing mine on a pizza steel over a propane burner outside, which is especially awesome because no edges.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No seriously I need a link for that giant fuckoff spatula.

That thing is so heavy you will feel like Thor when you use it. It is the king of all spatulas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That reminds me, anyone got advice on what equipment to use for smashburgers? Last time I tried it with just a big aluminum pan and a spatula and it was unwieldy. I've got another spatula that might be shaped better but I feel like I'd bend it to hell pressing down hard enough.

Pizza steel over a propane burner outside, and this big fuckoff spatula.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

It's burg night friends.

Assemble your implements of burgstruction:

smash vigorously

Topped with a single slice of cheese, shake shack style sauce, and a couple of pickles. With the little two ounce patties, even two normal slices of cheese is too much.

A righteous burg

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Although I think standard smashburg protocol requires you to put the plain burg on top of the one with cheese so it's sandwiched between the two patties and gets even meltier

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Genuinely disgusting

Agreed. I'd probably only eat one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

At least flash a little pink in my burg.

:quagmire:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulozon Empuri posted:

It's a danish thing. Bøfsandwich. If you're ever in Denmark visit https://m.facebook.com/DKsBedsteBoefsandwich and find the best one near you.

loving delicious when done right.

Is eating a Bøfsandwich like eating Bofa?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

You are gross.

?

That's a pretty widely accepted method. Never tried it myself, but lots of folks here have done it with success.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Potatoes are not sponges. They’re not just gonna soak up oil. And as they get to temp, the water within will boil and expel much of what has settled into the rough surface.

I’m not sure if your trying to move the goalposts or really what you’re even arguing anymore. It’s a method that works. That well-regarded professional chefs recommend.

It’s ok to be wrong on the internet sometimes. When that happens, you don’t need to double down or argue semantics. Just appreciate that you learned something and move the gently caress on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Did you pour a small bowl of nutt all over that burger

A small bowl? Slow down there, Peter North.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I like mayo as much as the next guy, unless the next guy is this guy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But be aware that linked spatula will not bend like the one in the above picture. I think it could support my weight. Truly an awesome spatula.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I'm a huge fan of getting a chuck, cubing it with my biggest cleaver, then grinding. The texture of the meat is great but I'm having trouble getting consistent seasoning.

I've done grind then form patties then salt the top, but I'm dumb and forget to salt before putting final cheese on some on the grill. Would it really be so bad to salt the cubes then grind if I'm goign to immediately throw them on the grill? I've seen claims that will make it ~*sausagey*~.

I think serious eats tested this and found that yes, it changes the texture negatively.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

https://i.imgur.com/yygaQte.mp4

It's probably more of a meatloaf now but whatever

So how fast would I have to finish it in order to get a free t-shirt?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

I mean maybe now but in the ancient far-off time of 2010 nobody had a goddamn clue what I was talking about or what I was saying whenever I spoke with anyone here in NC. I got told "what? you mean like a grill? yeah, come over to grill, we're having some friends around" like three times before I learned to stop asking about a BBQ as an event

I know a lot of North Carolinians who are strangely pedantic when it comes to using BBQ as the name of a function or event. Even though they know drat well what you mean. Read some Wittgenstein, fuckers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Proper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think jalapenos are the most dangerous pepper because sometimes they're like nothing, just fruity and slightly spicy and sometimes they just taste like burning. Kind of a crapshoot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made my standard burg the other day. Smash double with American and Stilton blue, onion jam, thick bacon, romaine and homemade mayo secret saucepan a potato roll.

The fries were my attempt at air fryer fries. Blanched them then cooled, dried, oiled and air fried. They turned out good not great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Been burging lately. I don’t think I’m smashing them hard enough. Help

1. Get the right spatula, or a combination of spatulas that let you smash with one while pressing down on top of it with the other (kind of like an inverted T). The holy grail of smashburg spatulas is linked somewhere in this thread.
2. 80/20 or fattier beef. Can't go lean with smashburgs.
3. Let the meat come to room temp if possible. it will smash easier/thinner.
4. I do 3oz patties, some do 2 or even 1 1/2. Def no bigger than 3 though.
5. Don't pre-salt the patties.

All that said, what's the issue with your burgs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

Too big, judging by what you said! I’ve been going with 5 / 6 oz. Familiar with and doing the T spatula method. Was going off a bon appetit video.

I have managed a pretty good recipe for air fryer French fries tho! (The secret is to use that fancy Trader Joe’s bagel searching.) So not a total loss.

With the smaller patties you would typically serve two patties stacked with a slice of cheese in between as a standard burg, which is a reasonable 6 ounce portion size. You could always had more patties from there if you want to go big, but I find the 6oz burg to be the right amount for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Catfishenfuego posted:

Also get some good fatty meat, the leaner it is the more it's gonna suck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

What is the best way to apply cheese to a burger?

1. Slice
  2. Shredded
  3. Crumbled (ricotta, blu cheese etc)
  4. Small cubes
  5. Other

The *best* way imo, if it's not a cheese that melts well on its own, is to use sodium citrate and make melty slices that way. Pretty much a matter of taking a little liquid (water, beer, milk), dissolving some sodium citrate in it over a simmer, then adding your cheese until it melts and is smooth, them pour that on a silpat or parchment and chill. Cut into slices and apply to burger.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My theory is when the spatula starts heating up, it melts the fat in the burger a little when you smash it and then it sticks. For me, the first burg or two doesn't stick but each gets progressively worse. I would try to keep the spatula cleaned between burgs and consider dunking it in ice water and seeing if that helps.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is smash sauce?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are smashburgs with impossible meat something that work? I’ve never had the product, and I’m not even sure you can buy it in a form useful for that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know this is the thread where all burgers are beautiful and we shouldn't burg shame, but those fat burgers can go to hell. A giant wad of ground beef that you can barely get your mouth around is not good eating. Gimme a double smash burg with the works and I'm a happy man.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I eat five guys twice a year and enjoy every bite.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just burgin”. Like I do.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

The one thing we don't really have here that would be nice to be able to get more easily is liquid-at-room temperature cheese/queso. Yeah it's basically a petrochemical product, but every now and then a jar of tostitos jar cheese is a fun time.

You can make a tasty knockoff if you have sodium citrate. You can even use quality cheese for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Miracle whip is the key to the white sauce popular at Mexican places in Virginia.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

hey Plaza Azteca friendo.

Yep, and El Toro when I was a kid some 40 years ago

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After years of safe usage, I managed to slice off the tip off my finger on mine a couple years back. Ordered cut proof gloves the next day. Getting cut with a knife is one thing, but having a whole bunch of raw nerves exposed on the tip of your finger is a whole different animal. Mandoline injuries suuuuck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Is that bell pepper or jalapeno? Either way is good I guess but I'm gonna prefer the latter

I get grilled jalapeño at 5 guys, highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that whole grain mustard cooked on/in the burger?