Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress just open my mouth and pour it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Did some Burgin in Melbourne (Australia) this week:

On It Burger

Double smash, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles.

Grand Trailer Park Taverna

Hot chicken
Fried chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, bacon, cheese, habanero mayo.

They do great beef burgers too.

Great burgs.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Found out a Huxtaburger opened in town so went and tried it.

Was pretty great, meat was really juicy and the buns were toasted with butter, ketchup and there's fried onions in there which aren't visible in the shot, just a good old fashioned burger.

Radish is sharp, sweet and kind of peppery if lightly pickled. It's loving great as an alternative to regular pickles especially on really greasy burgers, same reason Korean fried chicken places give you a bowl of the stuff.

Perth? I've heard mixed reviews.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Best burger in Perth is def Johnny's though. Shame it's in the middle of industrial wasteland an hour out of my way anywhere.

What!? no.

I tried them and the patties were full of gristle and raw in the middle. They were huge but not good

Tried Hood Burger or Short Order? Bump In Burger? They're all WAY better.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? Wasn't my experience at Johnny's. I'm usually pretty blitzed when I'm that neck of the woods though, it being near my cousins, so that might colour my opinion. Like part of it might also just be the novelty of being the only place I know to do really big burgers well but they certainly weren't gristly or undercooked when I had em.

Also been to Hood Burger but forgot, yeah point, they good.

Was not aware of the others, which is a shame cause Bump In is near a mate's, need to check them out.

On old style fish and chip shop burgs you ever been to Novembars?

They just shut down - Ceiling collapsed and Minh couldn't afford to keep the place open. They were really good burgers, if you don't mind a non-pure beef patty. He had a really good mix of onion, herbs and really good beef mince going on though. I attempted the Fat Boy once but only got through 5 of those drat half pound patties.

The anaconda was a favourite of mine though.

You're going to love bump in.

Edit: there's. Perth Burger Hunters page on Facebook, worth joining if you want to know about new burger joints popping up, where to get good ingredients etc. There's a few new ones about to open or just open that look the goods. Big Rigs are getting a lot of good reviews.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Moey posted:

More info and pictures please.

Dumped some old facebook snaps in an album: https://imgur.com/a/nhSbSB8

Fat Boy is #5. 7 250g patties, an egg, cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, condiments.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hoodburger are further away. Well it depends if you mean Perth underground or Wellington st. It's closer to Wellington st.

Also they melt the cheese well.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The worst part about this story, is that in 1980s/early 90s australia, $3-4 would get you enough chips to choke a pelican to death. There was literally no reason to ever do this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Got to Hoodburger this week. And yeah probably best in Perth.

Was not expecting the chicken tenders to be that big or I'd have just ordered one, Christ.

Yeah it isn't bad.

:allears:

It's just such a good burger, I can't help but get a bit emotional. I think about how long we've had to put up with overcooked pub burgers or overpriced waygu chefburgers in this city, and now we actually have a choice of decent burgs, and reasonably priced too. Wanna try Big Rigs in Fremantle next.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Smashed out some smashburgs on the gas grill this evening.

Couldn't find potato buns today, but brioche works, even if it did get a little toasty.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Holy poo poo that's what that button does

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress just put a fried egg on it and nobody's gonna say poo poo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Love me some potato buns

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Chicken Salt.

Australians in the thread know what I'm talking about.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hey Don where'd you find those buns? You still in Perth?

Woolworths. They're not always available, but they're usually near the brioche. Coles don't stock them.

Also the Coles burger sauce is fine. You can also make it yourself, it's just ketchup, mayo, bit of pickle juice and some dill usually.

I usually use the potato buns from Wooleys, or brioche from wherever (just not the Coles brand ones - ALDI brioche is supposedly the best); Coles Angus burgers with brisket - but I deform the patties into a big lump of Burger mince, divide into portions about 180-200g and smash onto cast iron; DairyLea burger slices for cheese and Fehlbergs hot and sweet chipotle pickles from Coles. Tomato and lettuce to taste.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Check out RoyAls and 3230 Smoke and Grill, very good southern style fried chicken.

Don't go to loving Thuggs, the chicken is poo poo and the people who run it are assholes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Chuck, short rib and brisket seem to be the favourites for a Burger mince at present.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

5 Guys good.
fite me.

No way you've got 5 guys

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogart posted:

How come all the burg places are in Oceania? Could deffo get down on some Piccolo fries.

Actually living in Australia is going to a bespoke pop up boutique burger joint and paying $22 for a Shake Shack burger

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

iajanus posted:

Local takeaway burgers are the best burgers. With a lasagne topper on the side, obviously.

why not in the burger

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lunchtime Lorgeburger from Short Order Perth City

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

It's thinner than it looks too.

It's like the proportion of a pringles can. Good burgs though. Just, interesting, construction.

It was wider than a Pringles can. I'd say about the diameter of a big mac but yeah much more to it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah they got a similar thing to Hoodburger going where you bite into it and you immediately appreciate how much effort someone put in to getting the mince just right, and then not overcooking the poo poo out of it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
That ain't lamb, lamb looks pretty similar to beef when cooked. That looks like grilled chicken.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Love a lorgeburger.

RIP Novembars.

Edit: Dinner

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 21, 2019

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wanted to use up the left over brioche before it went crusty, but also wanted breakfast for dinner.

So I bring you the Brinnerburger (Patent Pending)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We were already getting close to the maximum burger height allowable aka how much I'm able to unhinge my jaw like an eldritch horrorshow, also they are the longer thin Aldi ones, not the big flat birds eye items.

I'm actually impressed how well it held together regardless.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

iajanus posted:

Finally got to try Betty's Burgers

Verdict? Also where are they at?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lookit this loose unit right here

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really enjoy pickled jallys but I recognise it's a taste thing. Also the ones I get in the jar are a lot weaker than the fresh ones I pluck off my tree out back so that's a factor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

iajanus posted:

They're jalapenos, it's not like they're spicy either way.

Until you accidentally get the fresh chilli juice all over your face and have to walk around like you've just been maced.

Ask me how I know

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, was going to post that. I'm not some ghost/carolina reaper/whatever the hell the hottest pissing match is. I grow some habaneros and well those are my limit.

But yeah, every once in a while you get a jalapeno that kicks your butt when you aren't expecting it.

This one had grown up in a Perth summer, which apparently helps them gain a bit more heat, and had started to turn red, which again apparently makes them hotter but less tasty, which is why I plucked it.

Biting into it wasn't a smart move, and not being careful about touching my face afterwards, doubly so. I used to grow reapers and morougas so I should know better.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

Thread I burg'd

That looks like HoodBurger

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gatts posted:

Airport burgin’

Man that looks good.

The best airport burg I've ever had was a Carls Jnr, and that probably only made it to the top because they don't have one in my city.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I forgot to take a post-squish pic but you get the idea.

Last week's Beef and Cheese Odyssey.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Sometimes Food posted:

One of the best parts of this thread for me was running into Don and realising we're both burging in the same town and can talk about local places with someone who's been there.

Even if we disagree on Johnny's.

Have you done Big Rigz, Caveman BBQ, Rack City Ribs, 3230 and Bump In Burger yet?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Sometimes you just wanna put something filthy inside you.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

D. Ebdrup posted:

Smashed patties are super-easy to fry up on a pan, grittle, or grill too. I don't know why more people don't do it.

You do need a pretty decent rangehood or extractor fan to do it inside. It's a smokey business.

Better than frying chicken though in my experience.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hold onto your butts

It's chicken time

The Phat Bird, from Perth's 3230 smoke and grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It did melt by the time I got to eating it. Also best fried chicken in the state so, no complaints here.