Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Making a new thread because I got this on Switch. Didn't play much since Afterbirth and haven't played any of Afterbirth+ so I'm having a lot of fun. Just had a run with Blank Card + the item that lets you hold 2 charges + Starter Deck + The Emperor + Chaos Card so I could warp to each floors boss and instantly kill them, but I just started and don't have any of the later floors unlocked yet so it was kinda wasted.

Does anyone still play this? What challenges/completion marks should I shoot for finishing first to unlock the coolest poo poo? Been a long time since I've played and like I said I know very little of the Afterbirth(+) stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

how is the switch version? I played the poo poo out of isaac on my laptop so $40 to start over isn't happening

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think it's the perfect handheld mode game but yeah it's expensive. There is a physical version so it's possible you could find it used at a discount, I think my Gamestop had it for $30. I believe the Switch version is a little special too because it's the only version that included all the DLC from the very start, so instead of all the Afterbirth+ content being unlocked from the get-go it gradually starts showing up throughout the game. If you're like me and you're really rusty and you never played that stuff to begin with that's great, but if you already have I can imagine that being a negative

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I should get back into it. I don’t have a switch, is the Vita version deece? I think I have it through PS+

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think I tried it once on my Vita and it ran ok but if I remember correctly you can only play the base game and neither of the expansions . Still fun but Afterbirth adds a ton of content, I'd play on PS4 if you have it there too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

afterbirth was just a so-so expansion and afterbirth+ is the worst 6 dollars i've ever spent

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Afterbirth+ is bad yeah, but they fixed the really game breaking things about it. I just got back into doing the daily challenge recently and it's still fun as hell

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I like Greed Mode a lot even though the Ultra Greed fight is super boring. I heard some of the new endgame Afterbirth+ stuff sucks but I haven't unlocked any of it yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played since the + launch which really bummed me out, I'll have to check it out again. Also the vita version is fine but it starts running like crap with certain item combos

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I think I tried it once on my Vita and it ran ok but if I remember correctly you can only play the base game and neither of the expansions . Still fun but Afterbirth adds a ton of content, I'd play on PS4 if you have it there too

I think it was cross-buy so I must have it on PS4

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

I think it was cross-buy so I must have it on PS4

I remember this specifically for some reason and it was NOT actually cross-buy when it was free on PS+. Both the Vita and PS4 versions were free but you had to claim them separately

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

I haven't played since the + launch which really bummed me out, I'll have to check it out again. Also the vita version is fine but it starts running like crap with certain item combos

I only just bought it but I've heard they've really improved it since the launch, lots of enemy/mode rebalancing, a bunch of community items/enemies/others added via booster packs

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what was wrong with +?

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

extremebuff posted:

what was wrong with +?

Stupidly broken enemies, unfun rooms, items that permanently gimped you...uhhh.. no loot Boxes

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bunch of broken poo poo, the itms were super boring and watered down the pool, there were a bunch of room designs that completely fuckin sucked and were weighted to show up constantly, all the new bosses were bullet sponges. probbly some other poo poo too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It made the first 3 floors, which are already the least interesting part of every run, like 3 times longer

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

It’s kind of Incredible how broken it was at launch especially lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

drat i was excited for it too, apparently theyve largely fixed it up?? the dev is really inconsistent with how quickly they address lame things

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

The switch version is kind of the defacto version now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive heard its mostly fixed now and most of the really bad poo poo was fixed pretty quickly. havent gone back to it in a while though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The rooms, 9 billion hp enemies on the first 2 floors, and never ending spawn portals were all fixed but the items from + are all still the same and mostly lovely

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Something cool about afterbirth+ is that mods don't disable achievement unlocks and can mitigate some of the lovely changes it makes.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The rooms, 9 billion hp enemies on the first 2 floors, and never ending spawn portals were all fixed but the items from + are all still the same and mostly lovely

they added some good new ones which i think helps out the good item bad item ratio https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Booster_Packs

only booster packs 1 to 3 are on the console ports right now though

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
the booster pack 2 update that made angel rooms good is probably the single best update to isaac

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
only took them 6 months to add the booster packs that were already out by the time the switch version came out

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
still put 200 hours the switch one

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't think I ever heard about these booster packs lol, that's probly why it's fun again

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Maybe ill try it again since its unpaid commumity members updating it amd not nicalis or edmund who are both absolitely retarded

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Maybe ill try it again since its unpaid commumity members updating it amd not nicalis or edmund who are both absolitely retarded

We call him Breadmund around these parts.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't think I ever heard about these booster packs lol, that's probly why it's fun again

I think some of them are a collaboration with whoever made that unofficial Antibirth mod and it's some items & balance changes from that, and then some other new stuff. I'm shocked that it made it to the Switch release considering the PS4 version took like an extra 6 months to ever get Afterbirth but I'll take it

edit: and looking online apparently there's gonna be one more update with new stuff by the end of the year

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

goferchan posted:

I think some of them are a collaboration with whoever made that unofficial Antibirth mod and it's some items & balance changes from that, and then some other new stuff. I'm shocked that it made it to the Switch release considering the PS4 version took like an extra 6 months to ever get Afterbirth but I'll take it

edit: and looking online apparently there's gonna be one more update with new stuff by the end of the year

Booster pack 4 is the one the antibirth devs worked on so nope not on console yet

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Just picked this up on switch due to OP. Goddamn I love this game. It’s been a year since I played it last after getting all the achievements in the steam version.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Liquid Drink posted:

Just picked this up on switch due to OP. Goddamn I love this game. It’s been a year since I played it last after getting all the achievements in the steam version.

:cheers: I just saw Hush for the first time last night , never made it to him playing Rebirth on PS4 . I got owned by the second form but I had 8 black cat lives so at least I got some practice in

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I didnt buy + hoping this scenario would play out. I sure hope its gotten better, ill buy it on the xmas sale if its cheap

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You mean Binding of Poop? LMFAO. Just kidding, hell of a game and I'll probably grab it on switch. I haven't played it much but I always like when I do. Take care, guys.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

goferchan posted:

:cheers: I just saw Hush for the first time last night , never made it to him playing Rebirth on PS4 . I got owned by the second form but I had 8 black cat lives so at least I got some practice in

Hush is cool although I really like Mega Greed. He is animated well and it’s a fun fight.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hush and mega greed both suck rear end becasue they have scaling hp

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

They do? I never knew that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Liquid Drink posted:

They do? I never knew that

I think it's just like a flat damage cap from individual sources so you can't instantly kill them with super high tear damage. Damage from lots of little sources like Guppy flies will still totally melt Ultra Greed though

also just killed Hush :cool: I had a couple Size Down effects and a bunch of orbitals , that last bullet hell phase would have been real hard otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

just reinstalled this and the first room i entered had 3 stone fatties, immediately uninstalled :cheers:

• Locked thread