Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Have you seen her dress? What's it like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can do it for like 40 bucks. Ordained minister of the universal life church. Just gotta send out for a certificate. :smug:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I'm getting married next year and my mom is currently while I am typing this bitching about how we're not spending enough money and what will my family think lol

They'll think "open bar and free food". That's what they'll think.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I can do it for like 40 bucks. Ordained minister of the universal life church. Just gotta send out for a certificate. :smug:

Same but I'll do it for 30

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

girl pants posted:

open bar and free food

Two of the only three good things about weddings. The third is banging a bridesmaid if you were wondering

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Two of the only three good things about weddings. The third is banging a bridesmaid if you were wondering

I haven't banged my bridesmaids but I'll keep that under advisement

Or did you mean my family should bang my bridesmaids

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hey you do you friend, whatever feels right

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wedding cost about $4000, most of that being airfare and accommodations in Prague, the rest being bribes and bureaucracy because there's no such thing as "just go to city hall or a government office and sign some poo poo" in that god drat Kafka-esq country. It was a month long hellish ordeal of stamps and foreign ministries and embassies and trying to secure an actual place for the ceremony because you HAVE to legally have a ceremony.

Our actual wedding was at 9am in a small town's mayor and was only a couple hundred plus another couple hundred bribe to keep our slot open when there was some insanely stupid paperwork issue. Our translator didn't count as a witness so we had to quickly get a lady who helped us at a previous office to tag along. We had lunch at a cool cafe that was also a glass blowing workshop and they liked to showboat their glass blowing. Our translator had another job right after so dropped us off at the outskirts of the city and we took the metro home, stopped by a Tesco to get some groceries on the way home. I also found my engagement ring in the gutter when I was a kid. The wedding was a real trial by fire for us working together as a couple and neither of us would trade it for any by the numbers bland 100k "perfect wedding"

A year and a half later we actually had a reception with friends and family that ended up being really cheap because the owner of a hotel gave us the whole penthouse level to do what we wanted with, another friend owned a catering company and did all the food for less than cost. In the end it cost my folks just a couple thousand.

Saving money is cool. Not having huge debts is also a great way to avoid the top reason marriages break up: finances.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Hey that's pretty interesting! Why did you get married in Prague?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Mine was about $4k in all. That got us a very nice venue with food included. And could have easily been trimmed down to well under 3k if necessary: I bought a good tux and good shoes instead of renting some crap, brought a bunch of bottles of moet, and got us a room at the ritz carlton for that night. Unless you're paying to fly and board a bunch of people to some exotic place, I don't know where all the money goes when people say they spent tens of thousands or even a hundred k on a wedding. it blows my mind.

kind of depends on the size of the wedding, I mean stuff can add up pretty quickly even when you're trying to economize if you're hosting ~150 people and aren't having family/friends donate venues or do the food for you - mine was close to $10k- ~$3k to rent a nice garden that would let us serve our own alcohol (urban area on the west coast), a couple thousand for food and appetizers (main course we selected was $10/head), is already halfway there, and then when you add around a thousand dollars in alcohol (we admittedly overbought), necessary equipment rental, and professional services from a DJ/licensed bartenders/photographer makes up most of the rest

and if you go with wedding industry/high end versions of the above you can bloat that budget quite fast since all catering costs are multiplied by the number of your guests and there are no end of people who want to sell you increasingly expensive venues/professional services based on exclusivity, perceived quality, wedding-worthiness, etc.

my wife bought two used wedding dresses and had them professionally altered/combined into a custom dress and the total cost of doing that (~$800 iirc) was less than a lot of people are persuaded to spend on alterations alone (let alone their dress)

we obviously could have gotten married for a hell of a lot less (and probably would have done so if we'd been paying for it all ourselves), but I can also understand how people are persuaded to spend a hell of a lot more, especially if they're using the wedding as an opportunity to maximize their social status/compete with others- ultimately I'm quite happy with what we did, since we threw a really good party for all of our friends and family and didn't go into debt/exceed our budget doing it

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Made money at the wedding, used that as seed money to finance other weddings with perferred payback clauses.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Nooner posted:

She is all worried people are going to think it's cheap or not planned well but I keep trying to tell her its a bunch of our friends and family and an open beer and wine bar everyone is just going to have fun no one is going to remember or care about if we had circle or square plates and what color the accent on them was lol

wait... so what shape are the plates then. this is actually kind of important. it is the ultimate first impression of a new entity (a "couple")

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Mine was about $4k total.
The wedding dress was the most expensive part and my wife found one that she loved on sale. We got married at a little chapel that specializes in small ceremonies. A buddy of mine is a photographer, and he offered to photo it for free as a wedding gift because he's awesome. We only had 5 guests, and our dogs got to be there, which was fun. Then we all went out to dinner at the restaurant we had our first date at.

We didn't see the point in going into massive debt and running ourselves ragged for a big wedding that would be over before we knew it. And we both feel that ours was memorable, so yeah. Small weddings rule.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

girl pants posted:

Hey that's pretty interesting! Why did you get married in Prague?

I met my wife randomly on ICQ because she was stressed studying for university exams in the middle of the night and hit random a couple times to find someone to chat with. She was impressed I knew a bunch about Moscow's stalinist skyscrapers and we got to chatting. It ended up becoming an almost daily thing for a couple years and we realized we really liked each other. Canada would not give her a visa to visit here though and the official even laughed and said "short of getting married there's no way she'll ever set foot in Canada". Russia is a poo poo hole, but she had always wanted to visit Prague so we decided lets go meet in person and if we like each other in person as much as we do online we'll "quick" get married as a gently caress you to Canada. We decided to go for it, getting married was literally kafkaesq and was only then the start of a year and a half visa hell for canada to decide if we were really married and then if she was a spy. She worked at the british embassy in moscow which was actually full of spies and during the visa process the KGB tried to recruit her (or possibly it was canada testing her). A year and a half later she made it over here, is a Canadian citizen, and we've been happily married for 10 years now.

Through all this struggle to be together poo poo like what sort of vases the flowers at the head table will be in or if the bird guy was able to only get 50 white doves to release instead of the 80 we wanted for our dream wedding seems like the most meaningless petty poo poo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
My wedding was pretty cheap but it was pretty and awesome

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Over There posted:

My wedding was pretty cheap but it was pretty and awesome

Same. The venue was run by a guy my parents had known for like, 30 years so he hooked us up. It was over 2 and a half years ago and I still get people telling me they had fun. All people care about is good food and open bar. Dropping like $50,000 on a wedding is loving astounding to me.

Also: the cliche is true, the night was a freakin blur to me.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I met my wife randomly on ICQ because she was stressed studying for university exams in the middle of the night and hit random a couple times to find someone to chat with. She was impressed I knew a bunch about Moscow's stalinist skyscrapers and we got to chatting. It ended up becoming an almost daily thing for a couple years and we realized we really liked each other. Canada would not give her a visa to visit here though and the official even laughed and said "short of getting married there's no way she'll ever set foot in Canada". Russia is a poo poo hole, but she had always wanted to visit Prague so we decided lets go meet in person and if we like each other in person as much as we do online we'll "quick" get married as a gently caress you to Canada. We decided to go for it, getting married was literally kafkaesq and was only then the start of a year and a half visa hell for canada to decide if we were really married and then if she was a spy. She worked at the british embassy in moscow which was actually full of spies and during the visa process the KGB tried to recruit her (or possibly it was canada testing her). A year and a half later she made it over here, is a Canadian citizen, and we've been happily married for 10 years now.

Through all this struggle to be together poo poo like what sort of vases the flowers at the head table will be in or if the bird guy was able to only get 50 white doves to release instead of the 80 we wanted for our dream wedding seems like the most meaningless petty poo poo.

Blink twice is this is the cover story for a mail order bride

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We're planning on $10,000 for ours but paying for it in chunks. The venue is already paid for, and we've putting the initial deposit with the baker. She already bought her dress. Next we're going to pay for a photographer.

I thought 10k was a lot but apparently it's "cheap" in the wedding world. I guess her sister's was close to $50,000?!

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Expensive weddings are for shallow retards with lovely friends.

I'm glad it didn't take long to get the correct opinion.

I went to my friend's wedding who managed to marry into a family with literally hundreds of millions and the wedding was at a snooty country club where photography was forbidden and had segregated men and women's areas. Everyone not associated with the bride's family felt real loving weird there.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

We're planning on $10,000 for ours but paying for it in chunks. The venue is already paid for, and we've putting the initial deposit with the baker. She already bought her dress. Next we're going to pay for a photographer.

I thought 10k was a lot but apparently it's "cheap" in the wedding world. I guess her sister's was close to $50,000?!

The thing that amazed me most was how hard it was to find people to take our money (especially photographers, holy crap start looking now). I guess if you're good at that stuff you are booked solid wayyyyyyy in advance.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
probably would be a good idea to go ahead and get everything set up prior to meeting the love interest, then

she or he will probably be very impressed by your forethought and preparation

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
spent around $7K on ours

invited only close family and friends, rented a cabin in a national park instead of a venue and a reception hall, and for dinner we had tacos

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i saw pictures of a wedding on fb and the bride totally was rocking a pantsuit

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm sure Bigfoot Gardens' wedding rates are very reasonable

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

i saw pictures of a wedding on fb and the bride totally was rocking a pantsuit

might as well have been hildawg cosplay with the short cut too

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Irom posted:

spent around $7K on ours

invited only close family and friends, rented a cabin in a national park instead of a venue and a reception hall, and for dinner we had tacos

Did you get first crack at the tacos? Being first in line at the buffet was a p sweet part of my wedding. Also, y'know, the love parts and junk.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of my best friends recently got married. He invited a single friend to be there as a witness, they quick found someone who could do it on short notice and just went to a nice park then went out for a nice dinner. I wasn't hurt that I didn't get to come, but he also didn't loving tell anyone. It was weeks later that another friend was asking us if we heard this rumour our friend got married and we had to ask him. "Oh yeah we got married. Well, you didn't ask" I think they spent easily under a grand on the wedding and dinner.

But there's a big difference I think between a cheap embarrassing wedding and a wedding that just happens to be small and personal. And generally really cheap weddings are really cheap because the people are poor but really want all their extended family and friends there, good for them if it's fun and works out. What's awful are the huge wasteful expensive weddings that no one seems to enjoy and generate nothing but stress for everyone involved.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
does anyone have the picture of former legendary poster 'demonius x' having his wedding with his internet wife in a chinese restaurant in a mall

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

One of my best friends recently got married. He invited a single friend to be there as a witness, they quick found someone who could do it on short notice and just went to a nice park then went out for a nice dinner. I wasn't hurt that I didn't get to come, but he also didn't loving tell anyone. It was weeks later that another friend was asking us if we heard this rumour our friend got married and we had to ask him. "Oh yeah we got married. Well, you didn't ask" I think they spent easily under a grand on the wedding and dinner.

But there's a big difference I think between a cheap embarrassing wedding and a wedding that just happens to be small and personal. And generally really cheap weddings are really cheap because the people are poor but really want all their extended family and friends there, good for them if it's fun and works out. What's awful are the huge wasteful expensive weddings that no one seems to enjoy and generate nothing but stress for everyone involved.

When my wife's brother got married, they had the ceremony out in Cape Cod for just close family (less than 15 people) and then threw a sweet party a few weeks later for everyone else.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My parents got married in the backyard of a friend's house, with a beer-and-BBQ reception in the same backyard. I've always wanted something similarly relaxed and low-overhead, although I assume an actual backyard wedding isn't in the cards given that I'm not getting married in the late 1970's in Alaska.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
just get married at a wafflehouse or IHOP, they even have a catering menu. Some forgo that though, and choose walmart instead.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

10k dj. 20k catering

lmao

I wonder how much extra the DJ tacked on once it was known it would be for a wedding.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Best wedding story is Kevin Bacon bribing wedding DJs (when he attends one as a guest) to not play the Footloose song because morons expect him to be able to still to the dance thirty years later

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Spinster posted:

Have you seen her dress? What's it like?

I have not seen it but she describes it as a "boobie" dress so im sure I will like it a lot :q:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
My cousin had been living with her partner for 10+ years and had two children with him already, so they just got married and had a meal at a so-so chinese restaurant with 6 other people. Her dad paid €1500 for the whole thing. He loves talking about how cheap it was whenever it's brought up. For bigger weddings newlyweds used to be given high quality items such as cyrstal glass sets, kitchen knife/cutlery sets as presents, but now every family who's invited just hands them 3-4 figures in cash. It's possible for some newlyweds to make a profit on their wedding nowadays.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

my future wife and i are getting married in centaur war runner and enchantress from dota 2 cosplay outfits

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

my future wife and i are getting married in centaur war runner and enchantress from dota 2 cosplay outfits

it's not technically furry ok

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

just get married at a wafflehouse or IHOP, they even have a catering menu. Some forgo that though, and choose walmart instead.

every time my mom complains that my wedding is too cheap I'm gonna go down another tier in catering.

Waffle House buffet here we come! Hope my extended Canadian family likes grits! C:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

School Nickname posted:

My cousin had been living with her partner for 10+ years and had two children with him already, so they just got married and had a meal at a so-so chinese restaurant with 6 other people. Her dad paid €1500 for the whole thing. He loves talking about how cheap it was whenever it's brought up. For bigger weddings newlyweds used to be given high quality items such as cyrstal glass sets, kitchen knife/cutlery sets as presents, but now every family who's invited just hands them 3-4 figures in cash. It's possible for some newlyweds to make a profit on their wedding nowadays.

Did they get married at the Chinese restaurant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

School Nickname posted:

My favorite non-cash gift was the baller shop vac one of my good friends from high school bought us

• Locked thread