Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Store brand soda on a card table is always a death sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Panfilo posted:

There's this assumption that there is a correlation between how much was spent in a wedding and how likely the couple is to get divorced. But I think it's just confirmation bias.

When we see a huge tacky wedding and later find out the marriage didn't work, it is really easy to jump to the assumption that it was not surprising. Then people apply the opposite logic and figure that couple that is super frugal and pragmatic is going to have a solid marriage in contrast. But there's so many outliers. The people with the big tacky wedding probably would've gotten divorced anyway, which means the money spent on the wedding didn't really have much to do with it in the end. And similarly there are plenty of cheap (ie shotgun) weddings that don't work out, but people often don't attribute the cost toward the success of the wedding in that case.

I saw data on this and IIRC, the lowest and highest spenders were at the highest risk of divorce. So spend a normal amount, you dorks!

(I would guess that a lot of the lower-cost weddings are from second or later marriages. So those people are already predisposed to divorce. After all, the single biggest risk factor for a couple getting divorced, by a wide margin, is one or both partners having had a divorce from a previous marriage.)

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

they bought each other wedding bands. nothin says "ex-wife in 5 years" like not committing to a ring

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Conch Shell Corp posted:

they bought each other wedding bands. nothin says "ex-wife in 5 years" like not committing to a ring

A wedding band is a ring.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Drunk Tomato posted:

I saw data on this and IIRC, the lowest and highest spenders were at the highest risk of divorce. So spend a normal amount, you dorks!

(I would guess that a lot of the lower-cost weddings are from second or later marriages. So those people are already predisposed to divorce. After all, the single biggest risk factor for a couple getting divorced, by a wide margin, is one or both partners having had a divorce from a previous marriage.)

This is interesting. Like I said, the extremes on either ends have their pitfalls.

It would be interesting to cross reference other factors, like you implied: Previous divorces, children, pregnancy, debt, culture, etc.

The priciest wedding we've been to was $70,000 and they've been married longer than we have. Now some people could say that doesn't necessarily mean they are happy together but that just reinforces my point that the amount spent isn't a good predictor of the survival of your marriage.

Our method was to work out how much each of us could realistically save in a year, and budget accordingly. If our income was 50% what it ended up being, we would've spent 50% as much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe how much you spend isn't necessarily the main indicator, especially if you don't have their income to compare it to, but what they spend it on. Trying to DIY everything is generally going to end in disaster either way, if you pay someone else to do the organising for you then it's another story.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

3 years salary or you'll never be happy together

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

if you dont love her enough to graverob in the rich peoples cemetary till you hit diamonds you don’t deserve a happy marriage tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And plus, no one will be able to say you don't own John Larroquette's spine.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Conch Shell Corp posted:

if you dont love her enough to graverob in the rich peoples cemetary till you hit diamonds you don’t deserve a happy marriage tbh

Modern graves are miserable to rob. Stupid groundwater contamination regulations mean you have to dig waaay more dirt out and figure out the sealing mechanism, just to get in there and find the mortuary already lifted anything of value. 100+ year old graves are where it's at. Get an old enough one and you can claim you're an amateur archaeologist if you get busted.

Great date, 10/10 would grave rob again.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I have a friend who had his marriage officiated over the phone. I didn't know you could even do that.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Conch Shell Corp posted:

My husband and I bought each other a plain gold band. I didn't want to wear some fancy ring each day. He proposed with my grandmothers diamond band and that stays in my jewelry drawer. Simple is better in our case.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Congrats nooner :toot:

I also got married this year and everything we spent money on was worth it because my wedding owned loving bones.

One of my husband's coworkers got married a few weeks ago and while it wasn't really loving cheap they did manage to run out of every liquor except tequila before the reception was halfway over. This worked well for me because I like tequila but I think they underestimated how much people were going to drink. Which is extra funny to me because I met the bride's parents a few weeks before the wedding and the mom was stressing over the exact measurements of the cake table, like down to fractions of an inch, and the placement of flower petals and apparently mirrors atop the cake table. I did not notice or care about any of this on the day of, just that there was a cake and not enough alcohol to sustain the whole reception.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

And if y'all are going to talk about Bridezillas and cheap weddings, this is mandatory viewing:

https://youtu.be/cJCI_oSbJtQ

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Expensive weddings are for shallow retards with lovely friends.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
i facebook stalk this couple whose entire lives can be summed up as a plane crash of poor financial planning, heres their wedding timeline:

• girl sues her mum for being the driver in a car accident
  • wins $100,000
  • still lives w/ mum
  • meets unlicenced tattoo artist on tinder
  • they get engaged at an american college football game
  • neither of them are interested in football and they're both from bumfuck australia
  • engaged, bigass ring, $2k dress, the girl is now posting daily haul photos of $200+ in makeup and jewelery
  • girl buys enough clothes that she brags she didn't wear something more than once for like a whole month
  • buys another wedding dress because the first one wasnt nice enough
  • dude rents out a tattoo shop in a strip mall and buys two tattoo guns
  • oops we're out of wedding money
  • cancel honeymoon cruise
  • everyone uninvited, courthouse wedding
  • their honeymoon was taking the bus into town to get free comic books on free comic book day

their life is my guilty pleasure i love how bad they are at decisions

i already live w/ my schmoopy :3: and we're about to go to disneyland, i think we'll get married when he finishes his degree. planning on just buying a fuckton of costco hot wings and lovely beer and having our friends/family over.

i bought him a handmade silver ring w/ a dumb simpsons quote engraved on the inside, i guess he can just move that to his left hand when we sign the paperwork

bigfatdynamo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 23, 2017

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
what simpsons quote?

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

(the first things we ever said to each other were simpsons quotes, not even like a hello or how are u, i think it's cute but i'm biased. goon love is best love)

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Goons are such loving dweebs.

Not that I'm any better. But we all deserve eternal wedgies

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

coronatae posted:

And if y'all are going to talk about Bridezillas and cheap weddings, this is mandatory viewing:

How a bitch don't know how to make goddamn rice?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

pointlessone posted:

Modern graves are miserable to rob. Stupid groundwater contamination regulations mean you have to dig waaay more dirt out and figure out the sealing mechanism, just to get in there and find the mortuary already lifted anything of value. 100+ year old graves are where it's at. Get an old enough one and you can claim you're an amateur archaeologist if you get busted.

Great date, 10/10 would grave rob again.

It is worth whatever effort to get to those wonderful and very sexy dead bodies. Never thought about stealing anything from them, tho. Hmmm.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

coronatae posted:

Tifani is extremely hot, and I don't usually say that about living people.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Neukoln19 posted:

It is worth whatever effort to get to those wonderful and very sexy dead bodies. Never thought about stealing anything from them, tho. Hmmm.

My date and I were just going on living history archaeological hunts after dark in the local burial grounds. Ain't no reason to bring necrosexuality into this now.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I went to a few weddings as a kid and they were all in a field or barn or whatever and I always wondered why these people never had a nice wedding in a church or whatever. Now that I'm an adult I've realized that expensive church weddings are completely stupid. Also most weddings I went to were the 2nd or 3rd marriages so no one gives a poo poo about wasting money on a ceremony at that point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I ushered a friend's wedding recently. They spent around $25k which seems insane to me. By hour 6 of my involvement I was tired and wanted to go home but then it went on for 4 more hours.

If I ever get married it's going to be at a courthouse and then maybe a nice lunch or something for close friends and family.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

Drunk Tomato posted:

Goons are such loving dweebs.

my lovely goonhusband was really embarassed that i posted about him, this is a good and cool relationship thx

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Casimir Radon posted:

I ushered a friend's wedding recently. They spent around $25k which seems insane to me. By hour 6 of my involvement I was tired and wanted to go home but then it went on for 4 more hours.

If I ever get married it's going to be at a courthouse and then maybe a nice lunch or something for close friends and family.

pro tip: have a lot of friends but no best friends or anyone who cares too much about you, you still get to go to all the weddings but you don't have anything expected of you and you get drunk for three hours and leave

con of the tip: die alone

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cheapest I’ve been to was a backyard wedding that was very informal and potluck. It was alright but didn’t feel like a special event. Groom was in jeans and tshirt (sadly not a tshirt with a tux printed on it) and I forgot what the bride wore. There weren’t really even any decorations. I know expensive weddings are bullshit and all that but it felt a bit trashy tbh.

Most expensive was around $150k (I heard) and It was good but they were trying way too hard to impress people.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i don't think any reason a relationship falls apart is because somewhere along the line, one of the wedded keeps awake at night thinking 'but they spent so much/little...' unless they are already going down the road of is it worth it

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Jabberlock posted:

I went to a few weddings as a kid and they were all in a field or barn or whatever and I always wondered why these people never had a nice wedding in a church or whatever. Now that I'm an adult I've realized that expensive church weddings are completely stupid. Also most weddings I went to were the 2nd or 3rd marriages so no one gives a poo poo about wasting money on a ceremony at that point.

Church weddings are usually free or very cheap if you go to the church, though?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMFG FURRY posted:

i don't think any reason a relationship falls apart is because somewhere along the line, one of the wedded keeps awake at night thinking 'but they spent so much/little...' unless they are already going down the road of is it worth it

Dunno, I could see it as a seed of some sort of trust issues or, even worse, in-law issues. Especially if one side stiffed the other side or something like that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Drunk Tomato posted:

I mean isn't that half the point of a church? To do poo poo like marriages, births, and funerals?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I don’t think they do a whole lot of births

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I mean isn't that half the point of a church? To do poo poo like marriages, births, and funerals?

the venue we had our wedding at wouldnt let us inside the actual chapel cause im a dirty protestant and she is agnostic even worse! lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nooner posted:

the venue we had our wedding at wouldnt let us inside the actual chapel cause im a dirty protestant and she is agnostic even worse! lol

Being part of a church is like being part of a club. Non-members don't get to use the pool at the club.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I met my wife randomly on ICQ because she was stressed studying for university exams in the middle of the night and hit random a couple times to find someone to chat with. She was impressed I knew a bunch about Moscow's stalinist skyscrapers and we got to chatting. It ended up becoming an almost daily thing for a couple years and we realized we really liked each other. Canada would not give her a visa to visit here though and the official even laughed and said "short of getting married there's no way she'll ever set foot in Canada". Russia is a poo poo hole, but she had always wanted to visit Prague so we decided lets go meet in person and if we like each other in person as much as we do online we'll "quick" get married as a gently caress you to Canada. We decided to go for it, getting married was literally kafkaesq and was only then the start of a year and a half visa hell for canada to decide if we were really married and then if she was a spy. She worked at the british embassy in moscow which was actually full of spies and during the visa process the KGB tried to recruit her (or possibly it was canada testing her). A year and a half later she made it over here, is a Canadian citizen, and we've been happily married for 10 years now.

Through all this struggle to be together poo poo like what sort of vases the flowers at the head table will be in or if the bird guy was able to only get 50 white doves to release instead of the 80 we wanted for our dream wedding seems like the most meaningless petty poo poo.

It was the FSB, not KGB. It was probably really the FSB and not Canada because that sort of direct approach is kinda their M.O.

They also have the legal framework in place these days to lean super heavily on Russian citizens/their families if they decline.

Our wedding ended up being around $3k. We were originally going to do the courthouse thing but decided to just do a small ceremony with close friends and family. Took 2 weeks to plan and turned out really nice. We spent our money closing on a house a few weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't know where you are or what religion you are where this is the case but I have never been to or heard of a wedding that didn't have to pay a "venue fee" and "donation" even if they were members of the church they were getting married in, many also charge for the organist/pianist. It's not a huge sum (I think like $250-$1k total) but it's certainly not free.

• Locked thread