Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

2017: knocked down a couple things i've wanted to do for a long time like an ar10 battle rifle and a 300 blk pdw. i also didn't know i wanted a m1 carbine but thanks to fang letting me shoot his i had to get one so i did

2018:

1) get a 1-8x for the ar10. the only option that appealed to me was the leupold mk8 but it's way too expensive so i just put a placeholder bushnell 3-12x on it. the new nf 1-8x looks good, i'm hoping vortex and some other companies announce some good stuff at shot.

2) get an optic for my 300 blk pdw. not sure what direction i want to go just yet. not entirely sold on a red dot since the poi shift between subs and supers is so great

3) finish building a lightweight 10.3" ar15. for an optic i'd love to put an updated leupold dpp on it (hopefully a new gen comes out at shot show). when that window gets lower and the battery life/durability get better i'll probably put one on a handgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Shaocaholica posted:

No more guns or at least a net decrease.

Unrealistic goals only disappoint.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

NickBlasta posted:

Unrealistic goals only disappoint.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

At the risk of making my wallet weep, I'd like to get a bigger gunsafe next year. 10 rifle, minimum. Its a game of Tetris at the moment.

I'd like to get replacement parts for the 1919 to get that functional.

Maybe get a relatively modern 9x19 to take to the range. CZ75 or something of the sort.

Edit- Oh yeah, RSO Qualification. Want that done ASAP.

N17R4M fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 15, 2017

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah, this.

• Fix my cheek weld issue in clays; can't hit when you're not looking down the barrel
  • Learn proper 3-position technique
  • Do more 3-gun stuff. Since I bought an open shotgun I need to at least give lip service to its existence.
  • Post my Berdan II thread

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Shaocaholica posted:

literally the opposite, buy guns 420/69

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

TheAsterite posted:

2018 purchases:

Czechpoint VZ 58

That's probably it for me

Love my two. If you're trying to break up your spending into chunks, consider buying a Vz.58 complete kit from Arms of America (theyre on sale for like $250 out the door WITH the original CL CHF barrel), then buy a milled receiver from AK-Builder or elsewhere (those are expensive though, something like $600 due to rarity and milling required), then send it off to a builder and it will cost about $500. I'm considering that because I kinda want a paratrooper version but eh. They're fun guns but I still like holding an AK more for whatever reason.

General Goals
-Don't be a dick to noobs
-Less impulse purchases
-At least 400 rounds through every owned self-loading gun
-Run and teach at least two CCW classes
-Compete in more local 3-gun competitions
-Compete in at least one of the upcoming 2-gun action shooting comps with friends (Red October, etc)
-All owned guns zero'ed and if they are unable to be zero'ed, sell em. I've owned my StG.58 with original Austrian barrel for 5 years now and it still groups incredibly well but I can't seem to get the bloody thing to maintain a zero on its iron sights. Adjusting the rear sights is a pain in the dick.
-Go hunting and don't be a shithead hunter

Specific Goals
-Acquire NRA RSO qualification (RSOs are constantly in short supply)
-Figure out why the SP-01 doesn't always reset the trigger in DA mode (most parts are now CGW), and fix it if possible.
-Grips for CZ-82
-Scope for K-31 (maybe)
-Buy CZ 550 FS .308, mount scope
-Use cryptocurrency to legally purchase a firearm as a proof of concept
-Refinish Makarov

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Medlar posted:

-Use cryptocurrency to legally purchase a firearm as a proof of concept

I sold two guns on Arfcom about two years ago for ~5 BTC. No, I didn't keep them. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Craptacular posted:

I sold two guns on Arfcom about two years ago for ~5 BTC. No, I didn't keep them. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Lolz.

I remember selling a bunch of Apple stock at $100 to buy dumb camera poo poo I donít even use.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Shaocaholica posted:

Lolz.

I remember selling a bunch of Apple stock at $100 to buy dumb camera poo poo I donít even use.

before or after the 7 way split

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ophidian posted:

before or after the 7 way split

2007 I think so probs before.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Not Really Sure what my gun goals were but ill take a stab at none as I was stuck in some frozen outpost supporting a bunch of entitled scientist that think they know how to run a NOC and deploy out automation... and other nerdy IT things.
But anyway ill put down my 2017 gun buys:

My out of left field quest to collect all the Walther's :
PPK
PPQ M1
PPQ45 M2
PPQ M2
PPS
PPS M2
P99C
Q5 Match

Also hey Got my job in Seattle 3 years and running Goal...

Reloading:
Went back in to cranking out rounds.

2018 Goals:

6.5 Creedmore Something...Not sure what but will most likely be a custom of some sort.

Start my FFL:
Buy a Safe for FFL

Continuing the quest to collect all the Walther's:
PPQ Q4
Creed
P99
CCP
(Note .40 Guns don't count unless its been lengthened and called 10mm)

Reloading:
Figure out how to make this poo poo Box of a Lee Pro 1000 to suck less and actually crank out a round or two. Now it just decaps, resizes and flares 9mm.
Dillon of some sort
figure out how to make reloading to .01 grams faster. This will probably be stupid expensive.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Medlar posted:

Love my two. If you're trying to break up your spending into chunks, consider buying a Vz.58 complete kit from Arms of America (theyre on sale for like $250 out the door WITH the original CL CHF barrel), then buy a milled receiver from AK-Builder or elsewhere (those are expensive though, something like $600 due to rarity and milling required), then send it off to a builder and it will cost about $500. I'm considering that because I kinda want a paratrooper version but eh. They're fun guns but I still like holding an AK more for whatever reason.

I need to change up my goals, cause instead of buying the pistol I wanted (with the threat of my state expanding their weapons ban), I went ahead and bought the VZ 58 this week (can't get an AK 47, but I think the AK 74 is good to go?).

So new 2018 goals:

Get a modern .45 pistol
Get an AK 74
Get a side rail, mount, and red dot sight for my VZ

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 20, 2017

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

This thread is a good idea. I have a few different projects bouncing around in my head and having some way to organize them is great.

So does archery stuff count? Archery stuff counts right? Anyways......

2018 goals

Pick up a compound bow during the various post hunting season sales and learn to use it. Be ready to use it for hunting by October of 2018 when archery season starts.

Get my 1895g setup for use as a brush gun for hunting. A 1-4x scope seems like the best option since I do need some magnification.

Start learning about handguns so I have something to carry bow hunting in areas with potential dangerous animals. I need to do more research but a simple 22 like the Buckmark seems like a solid start.

Also do more reloading, preferably in 45-70

A bolt gun in 17HMR would also be great but I suspect thats one firearm too far.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 20, 2017

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also do more reloading, preferably in 45-70

I'm planning on making black powder loads for my Trapdoor Springfield. Thankfully the recipe is right there in the name: 70 grains of black powder.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

A bolt gun in 17HMR would also be great but I suspect thats one firearm too far.

If it comes down to a matter of funding, Ruger's American Rimfire is currently king poo poo of budget 17 HMR mountain. Extraction isn't as aggressive as spendier guns so mildly stuck cases sometimes happen but that's my only knock against it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

2018 goals:

Glocks - 19, 26, 17MOS

HiPoint 9mm just to annoy my pistol club

PCC - PSA 9mm?

GP100 in .44SPL

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

You should get a Hi-Point with the $100 bill finish. A classy gun like that will go a long way to class up the joint.

Crow Zone
Jan 20, 2006

I was hoping to do a lot of exciting things in 2017, but instead I ended up just doing a LOT of practice shooting (not a bad thing as a novice), failed deer hunting trip (missed my shot), and a few uneventful hiking trips with my 10/22.

2018 GOALS

PURCHASES
-Chiappa little badger
-CCW pistol for wife (she likes my 3in lcrx but she hasn't shot it either. I think she'll be better off with a slim semi-auto)
-SxS shotgun because <3 also turkeys.
-Sling+mounts for my 357 lever gun. Also in the market for whatever other ridiculous ways to trick it out for no reason.
-Better cleaning/maintenance kit.
-lighter weight binoculars. Mine are old but REALLY good... and wayyy to heavy.

FAMILY
-Teach my little one to shoot a 22 (likely double duty the little badger). He's getting pretty good with his little bb gun
-Get my wife to finally commit to owning/carrying a ccw pistol (shes coming around to it lately)

SKILLS
-Do some more hiking, get some overnight sessions in
-Attend appleseed again (did it in 2016) but get patched this time. I'm way better now than I was then
-Spend some time doing more shooting >100 yards so I can get a feel for my 270's range/arc, and my lever 357s range/arc

HUNTING
-Get my deer this time
-Go for elk as well (there were easily 10-1 elk to deer out where I was in oregon). I've helped scout and search for elk two seasons in a row and I'm ready to go for it.
-Get grouse hunting/find a reliable area for grouse.
-MAYBE do turkey hunting. I guess it was a good year for it
-MAYBE go out with my father in law for duck. I don't really like him so v0v if I don't end up doing it

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

2018 Goals:
-Finish my degree, should have it done by Fall term if all goes according to keikaku.
-Build my second AR15
-More .22s!
-Get a bullpup, probably a Keltec RDB
-Do some kind of practical shooting course or class.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

2018 goals:

Gune related
Shoot more often
Start going to the .22 sniper matches at the local club
Reload more
Hunt! Get a dear. Go more than twice for small game.
Get my Guide Gun threaded and buy a suppressor that could handle 45-70

Not so gun related
Lose 30lbs
Spend more time outdoors/camping

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i accomplished #2 on my list for 2018 (optic for my 300 blk pdw) despite saying that i wouldn't get another micro tube sight, i couldn't refuse the $70 pa blem deal for their advanced micro dot. i was debating between a 1-nx scope and a red dot since with a 1-nx scope you could change between your suppressed and unsuppressed zero very easily and should be better at longer distances. however i took the 8.5" 300 blk to the lr range and it was really only consistent in the supersonic range, which is < 500 yards with the ammo i was shooting. at 547 yards the impacts were very erratic. i'm ok attempting to use a red dot at that distance with supers despite the massive drop. a red dot does seem the most sensible for a pdw but i was really hoping to push the range. there are some perks to using a red dot on a pdw however. it keeps the weight down and also has no eye relief issues whether the stock is collapsed, extended, or in between. i'm really happy with the pdw now, i just need to change out the brake for a flash hider

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

"Me but optimistic for the new year posted:

This years goals:
-Go to a PCC shooting competition with my MP5 Not unless you count the current Shoot the poo poo thread
-Get a suppressor Regrettably failed. That $500 Saker 762 was perfect but I couldn't afford it at the time
-Sell the damned AR15 nope
-Get a niceish O/U nope
-Build a CETME-L nope
-Get a PPC revolver nope
-Get some decent glass and rails for some of my guns. (Z43P, RPK) Sort of! I bought a holosun red dot and HK mount for my Z43P
-Get some trigger work done for my HK rifles nope

To be fair to myself. I lost my job at the end of February so I was off to a bad start. I was unemployed for a month. Then moved for the new job, and sort of got hosed by my apartment complex that I was moving out of. Then my car got totaled so I bought a new one and put some money down on that so my payment wouldn't be huge. Now I'm saving for a house because they're still reasonably affordable around here for the time being and I hate being a renter at almost 31. Finally, the new job has a really good 401K program so I'm pumping a good amount of my income into that now and have less fun bucks.

2018 goals:
-Sell the damned AR15 (4th time is the charm?)
-Get a suppressor
-Go to any rifle or PCC shooting competition
-Sell my AES10B maybe. I'm afraid it's still going up in value, but I never take it shooting and I could spend the ridiculous amount of money they're going for on something else
-Maybe get a Calico in 9mm
-Get some HK trigger work done (Might be happening soon if Steve of Stevesgunz doesn't get back to me soon about the waiting list I've been on for a year for my lever action work)
-Build a CETME-L. Probably won't happen because of the costs involved and I'm still saving for a house, but I would like to!
-Zero in the sights and optics for my guns. Only a few of them are actually properly setup right now and it's kind of gnawing at me.
-Assuming I buy a house, sign up for the private range nearby and begin that long process
-Have/go to a goon shoot in Texas. We had a mini one but we got rained on pretty hard but it was still fun

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 27, 2017

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

2018: Go shooting more than once a year

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

king of the bongo posted:

2018: Go shooting more than once a year

Same. Pretty sure it was only once indoor and outdoor range each. I have like 4 guns I've never shot.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Sell all guns,
move to CA
smoke weed everyday

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Sure why not.

-Get a centerfire rifle can
-Get a bolt action 22
-Get a 357 lever to suppress
-Take a carbine class to knock some of the rust off
-Get certified as a firearms instructor

That's about it for this year.

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

2018 goals:

Organize my gun room with appropriate storage lockers and organizers.

Get all of my gun projects operating and functioning. No more FTF, FTE, or other errors. This includes my 20" AR15 and AR10, my PTR 32, and my 9mm SBR.

Get 4 new stamps in the works

Finish 4 of my AR projects

Have 2000 rounds stockpile of 9mm, 5.56, 308, 7.62x39.

Finish my Glock 6 second gun with holster

Get Glock 26, 19 MOS, CZ P10C, P09.

Start collection of neat early automatics goals are Frommer Stop, Dreyse, and a FN 1900

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

-sell off a bunch of poo poo
-transition to getting out of guns

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

2018 Goals:

-Finish my Glock 43 (threaded barrel, TLR6, new IWB holster)
-Get my Glock 34 slide milled for a red dot
-Buy red dot for Glock 34 (Vortex Venom maybe)
-Start building a 6.5 AR10
-Buy a gun safe
-Buy a small hard case for my SBR
-Buy a pistol caliber suppressor for my G34 and SBR
-Take handgun or carbine courses
-Try IPSC/IDPA maybe? oh god i have no idea what i'm doing

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Huh, apparently I had none for 2016, but I did in 2015:

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Lose another 50lbs

Acquire at least one of Elmer Keith's revolvers

Clean my gutters

Managed those things. Guess there was nothing left for 2016.

2017 is going to be a similar year I think:

Get Married
Letter some guns (just lazy)
Wouldn't mind losing 10lbs, but moreso just want to get into better shape for hiking. Probably do that.
Buy more King modified guns if they come up
Buy more Kearsarge grips if they come up

So 2017:

1. Got Married.
2. Lettered a gun.
3. No King Modified Guns.
4. No More Kearsarge grips.

poo poo. I don't think I've bought a gun at all this year (see 1.)

2018 gun goal:

Buy the house that's close to my wife's job and has this in it:

And a couple weird boards:

With an uplifting sign hanging on the wall:

And a CM Russel print:

Hiding a mysterious hole:

I wonder what the hell this hole is? A 10yd concrete tube, 4ft underground?

With a wheel and rope that pulls a shot to poo poo piece of cardboard from one end to the other?

Weird. Why would anyone put a room like this in a basement when they custom built their house in '71?

I guess 2018 will just have to be a year where my only gun related goal is to buy that house, and modernize a secure gun room complete with an underground pistol range.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

New 2018 goal:
-buy that house before sixgun

Also I'm glad to see you back here. We missed you

E: how do you clean the tube out after there a ton of lead at the end? Is there a rear access or something?

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I don't think anything would make me happier than having my own range in the house where I both wouldn't have to drive out to the loving airport to find a range and also wouldn't have to worry about cops driving by.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

SpartanIV posted:

New 2018 goal:
-buy that house before sixgun

Also I'm glad to see you back here. We missed you

E: how do you clean the tube out after there a ton of lead at the end? Is there a rear access or something?

Best I can figure? There is a piece of wood in the end there holding the dirt back.

I think maybe I need to install one of those electric target retrievers and put one of those LED light strips down the length of it when I do. Also thinking I need to get a bullet trap made that I can set on that rail and hook up the to wheel/rope arrangement to gather the lead and make sure it isn't just leaching into my lawn. Also need to set up some sort of real ventilation.

Honestly though we are just trying to buy the house, money is not easy at all. I think it's going to happen, but I really am pushing and will sacrifice to make it so. It's the only place we have found that is in town (7 minutes from work for my wife), that due to some geographical and historical oddities is not a place the junkies roam at night. Two sides of the neighborhood are surrounded by river, other two sides have had those wretched california no trees housing developments on the golf course. This little neighborhood though was built on a ridge right over a flood plain, so in front of the house you can't build at all, and on the other side is already a little neighborhood with an HOA that keeps things "nice". So the house itself was built in '71 and on top of the ridge is about an acre, bottom is another 3.65 acres on a little river. Horse barn down there, looks like no horses for a long time, but I think the fox sleep in there judging by all the poop in there, if I get the house I will have to set up trailcam or something. Pretty cool little piece of property. I can't quite figure out a number of things they did, like this:

partway up the hill is what looks like an old fashioned gold mine entrance. By that I mean what a kid would draw if you asked them to draw a goldmine. It has a door on it, but only goes back like 4 feet before it just hits dirt. I can't tell if it's like a cold war bomb shelter that collapsed, or if he started building it and just gave up, or if it was just something that they let the kids do until mom found out and she shut the thing down.

So anyway. No guns, but maybe cool house. Funny thing is that as exciting as all of this is the thing that is way more exciting to me is being so close to my wife's work. Nothing has really been going particularly right lately, and a 40min commute in the snow is not as doable as we had hoped it would be.

I suspect it won't be until 2019 that I might be able to buy a gun again. Maybe. Which is kind of torturous because I have two registered magnums that have been offered to me. Both awesome.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

That's a hell of a house.

Oh yeah, goals. 2017's goals:
  • Get tools to finish the Five Year Plan AR - not done because of moving and being kinda broke
  • Renew my C&R - done
  • Use my C&R more - not done because of moving and being kinda broke
  • Find a good place to shoot - not done but I have access to some decent land now and will look around come spring

New goals for 2018:
  • Make progress on at least one of my build projects, probably either the Suomi or the .45 Mauser
  • Squirrel jihad
  • Get some more airguns maybe
  • Write a novel with interesting characters and interesting guns in it

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

- Suppressors for my .308 and 5.56
- Consistent contact with 8" targets at 400yds with both
- A reloading setup to feed both
- A poly wonder 9mm in my collection

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

- A poly wonder 9mm in my collection

I vote PX4!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PhotoKirk posted:

2018 goals:

Glocks - 19, 26, 17MOS

HiPoint 9mm just to annoy my pistol club

PCC - PSA 9mm?

GP100 in .44SPL

Glock 26 should be arriving today. W00t!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

I impulse bought way too much poo poo this year, need to go through and winnow out what I don't want to keep. I've got six NFA transfers pending so that's tied up a chunk of fun money as well.

We bought a house w/about 7 acres behind it and access to another 14 acres so I suspect we'll be spending money on infrastructure for a while. We want to build a 400 yard range, greenhouse, and double the size of the existing garden area, and there's an old barn that I want to take down and repurpose into a building for the range.

I'm probably going to sell off the 308 battle rifles I've collected. They're fun to let new shooters try out but once you've shot it a few times, maybe it's just me but it isn't blowing my skirt up like I thought. Now that I'm finally able to just go shoot outside I've done a lot more shotgun and rimfire than anything else. I need to get the new glass zeroed on my CZ455, I suspect that's going to be one I can shoot for hours.

Realistically though, once it warms up the majority of my plans are going to involve buying a tractor and a nice chainsaw and playing redneck lumberjack every morning after work.

I succeeded in curbing my GunBroker browsing so I've been spending a lot more on ammunition and equipment, particularly stuff like ear pro and little stuff like that to help introduce new shooters to guns. We took a late season crack at the garden last year and it was a complete disaster - I think I got maybe three cherry tomatoes out of a tilled area of about 800 square feet. Big time back to the drawing board on that this spring. For this to be old property that was never graded like a suburb the dirt is loving terrible.

I still have the big rifles, they still rarely get shot. I shoot an old $70 Glenfield Model 60 more than anything lately.

No tractor yet but we did get a really nice tiller and I've been manually clearing out the nastier underbrush on the land trying to get it a little healthier. Cut down most of the old and sick trees and it's already visibly looking healthier.

My primary gun goals this year are to finish the NFA stuff up and get the handful of in-progress AR's I've got done. Stretch goals are to finish getting the garage straightened out and build a workbench to start being able to do more interesting stuff like AK & Galil builds, even if parts kits are getting a little scarce.

Edit: I'm kinda fascinated by this little guy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

I did only car stuff last year so this year I'm hoping to unload a car or two and use some of the proceeds to get:

At least 1 more rad PPC revolver
At least 1 more rad custom target semiauto handgun
grips Grips GRIPS
Integrally suppressed 10/22
Levergun in the biggest caliber possible, hopefully modified/rechambered for max weirdness