Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

SpartanIvy posted:

Make sure to letter her once she's in your hands

Thanks guys, pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Congratulations Sixgun!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Spent a decent amount on biking, but woefully failed on spending less than that on guns.

Didn't get into gun games.

This year I guess

Stop impulse buying guns (good luck), get at least one suppressor, get into gun games, join a real range so I can stop loving around in the national forest except for snowshoeing shooting/camping shooting.

Spent more on biking, still more on guns.

Haven't played a gun game yet.

Haven't found a membership at a real range yet.

Impulse bought a threaded loving beretta 21A for a suppressor host. Jesus.

Did buy a suppressor. Hooray!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

And congrats on the kid!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I may have you beat

Condolences.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

My goal is to spend less than $10,000 on gun related things. I bought 3 guns today so itís not going too well.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Only buy Hi-Points and you can buy up to, like, 150 guns.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Failed even worse! I ran into a deal on a Dan Wesson A2 I wanted, and impulse bought it. I guess technically I've fulfilled a goal because I swore in the 1911 thread when they were announced that one day I'd own one, so there's that.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I may have you beat

At least my one major gun goal (buy a house with a basement range) was managed. I think this other development will cause some further derailment of the gun buying thing.

Congrats and I look forward to house box thread/range box thread!

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Going to go on record that box thread might be the wrong term for this situation

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

DeesGrandpa posted:

Going to go on record that box thread might be the wrong term for this situation

I think it's just right.

Box Baby Thread.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

put the kid in a drawer next to your computer while you post on the forums.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

Make sure to letter her once she's in your hands

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Also my 2018 goal is to not let unemployment last long enough I have to start selling guns

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

My 2018 gun goal is to not become a felon by virtue of merely being a gunhaver.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

A.o.D. posted:

My 2018 gun goal is to not become a felon by virtue of merely being a gunhaver.

If you think we're going to end up with gun control on par with (spins a globe, sticks finger on it)...Sweden?... within the year then just LOL.

Also 10 years.

Maybe 100, really.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Basticle posted:

Also my 2018 goal is to not let unemployment last long enough I have to start selling guns

If you do think you have to do so, get ahead of it, and gunbroker something before you need-need the money. Make sure you get top dollar for your guns.

I've had to sell quite a few guns to get the flywheel that is married life to a doctor just finishing up her fellowship. If you just do it right, and with guns you can replace down the line, it's not the end of the world.

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks!

I probably won't really post about the range until I have sorted out finances enough to be able to afford proper ventilation, lighting, and a target retrieval system (as they seem to call those zippy motorized things you put your target on to send down range). As it is the range is a little primitive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21d-EUVYc4

When things iron out my wife is cool with me buying one of the registered magnums that is on offer to me at the moment, so the next proper box thread will probably be that. Then I have to save up for the second one that the guy bought (and convince this guy's sister to sell it to me). So I can have the apparently consecutive pair.

It's kind of obnoxious, all the old gun guys I've made friends with over the years are getting to a point where they are offering me legitimately amazing stuff, which wouldn't leave their collection unless they were hitting a point where they need to sell it to make sure it doesn't end up in the hands of a relative who will just pawn it to fund a jet ski or cocaine. There are 4 RMs that I could potentially buy at this point (that I want, there are more but I'm pretty much only interested in the ones that are FBI/Police guns and that have something unusual, like the one I will probably buy sometime in May if all goes according to plan financially).

sean10mm posted:

If you think we're going to end up with gun control on par with (spins a globe, sticks finger on it)...Sweden?... within the year then just LOL.

Also 10 years.

Maybe 100, really.

Yepppp.

I typed this, but it probably belongs in another thread, is that roulette thread still running?:

This particular gun control push is a serious overreach which will likely have negative ramifications for the Democrats in the midterms. With Trump's approval rating increasing (populism is apparently... popular) and the Democrats continuing to fiddle-fart around with the idea that alienating "working class whites" is not only good, but a winning strategy... let's just say that I won't be surprised if Trump ends up being a two term president with a lot of judge appointments. Judges likely to not only protect gun rights, but roll back a lot of the infringements we have had over the years.

About the only thing I think isn't really going to survive this gun control push is bump stocks. But I never really understood why the ATF didn't quash those the second anyone asked about them in the first place.

But hell, I could be wrong. If I am I cannot imagine how ugly things could get. With as many people are willing to go to the desert to threaten feds over grazing land, how many would be willing to do that over severe gun restrictions?

Ugh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

I'm really surprised the GOP doesn't offer bump stocks for a hughes repeal compromise. Gets bump stocks into NFA-land (so practically banned) while being able to say they avoided an actual ban. "It's the best we could do" done properly.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I'm really surprised the GOP doesn't offer bump stocks for a hughes repeal compromise. Gets bump stocks into NFA-land (so practically banned) while being able to say they avoided an actual ban. "It's the best we could do" done properly.

This assumes a majority of Republicans in Congress want 922(o) repealed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Nobody is interested in repealing hughes.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mortabis posted:

Nobody is interested in repealing hughes.

A very small minority of Republicans in Congress want to repeal 922(o). A slightly larger, yet still very small minority might be convinced to vote for it. But it'd never make it out of committee.

And honestly, the same thing would've happened with the 1994 AWB if it didn't have a sunset provision. Not many Congressmen will vote for removing restrictions, but when it's the reverse situation and they would've had to specifically vote to extend the ban, then that's somehow different and so they won't vote for it. If 922(o) had a sunset provision, I'd have put better than even odds that it would be gone by now too.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 4, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

There's a reason I think every single bill and regulation should have a 10 year sunset. But that's for a different thread.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

All of my plans for this year are 3 gun related. I wanna finish top 20 (assuming the field is 100 people) and do more drone footage of the matches since drone footage of shooting sports is the future.

Oh and finally form one my PAP.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

pretty excited.

With good reason, congrats!

As for my own goals, I accidentally ended up buying a house. Gun budget suddenly shrunk a great deal. Might get to build me a private range eventually, though!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Pursesnatcher posted:

With good reason, congrats!

As for my own goals, I accidentally ended up buying a house. Gun budget suddenly shrunk a great deal. Might get to build me a private range eventually, though!

If you buy right in a house it's well worth the pain of not having as many guns for a while. In the long run you will be way better off, and be able to buy more guns then ever.

One of my big gun regrets is missing out on a sub-$600 SVT-40 in perfect shape. I want to say it was $450, but it may have been $550. In any case it was HUALF PRICE.

oKK So I sPILLED BEER ON MY KEYBOARD AND NOW It randomly capitalizes AND INSerts A U FOR NO REASoN. gently caress

i MAY NEED A NEW KEYBOARD

Anyway, thue reasON i DIDN'T gret to buy thue sVT-40 WAS becausE i DIDN'PT (OK NOW IT'PS insTERTINGR pS and grS, and Rs. DOUBLE gently caress).

so thue reasOn I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huousE.

tHUE REASon I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huouse.

gently caress

Ok, sO THUE LASt time I ever went to a grunsHUOW withuout a pocket full of casHU TO BUY THUINGRS withu was BECAUSe of thuat sVT-40

OK, THUIS is NOT GROINGR TO WORK.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

You can get keyboards that are liquid-resistant designs, just by the way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

That's one of the funniest posts I've read in weeks. FRIEnd!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

If you buy right in a house it's well worth the pain of not having as many guns for a while. In the long run you will be way better off, and be able to buy more guns then ever.

One of my big gun regrets is missing out on a sub-$600 SVT-40 in perfect shape. I want to say it was $450, but it may have been $550. In any case it was HUALF PRICE.

oKK So I sPILLED BEER ON MY KEYBOARD AND NOW It randomly capitalizes AND INSerts A U FOR NO REASoN. gently caress

Anyway, thue reasON i DIDN'T gret to buy thue sVT-40 WAS becausE i DIDN'PT (OK NOW IT'PS insTERTINGR pS and grS, and Rs. DOUBLE gently caress).

so thue reasOn I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huousE.

tHUE REASon I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huouse.

gently caress

Ok, sO THUE LASt time I ever went to a grunsHUOW withuout a pocket full of casHU TO BUY THUINGRS withu was BECAUSe of thuat sVT-40

Been there done that buddy. That's why I buy $10 keyboards in bulk

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

gently caress

my goal for 2018 is to spill beer on my keyboard and get this to happen

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Bummey posted:

It could have been a beautiful Twitter account.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

infrared35 posted:

Goals for 2018:
- Stop buying so many drat guns.
- Sell some more drat guns.
- Attend more training.
- Run the poo poo out of the P320.
- Put in for the three (four?) tax stamps I bought cans for.
- Try to shoot more than one 3-gun match in a season (though honestly I don't feel that bad since this last season it was basically 150 rounds of shotgun and maybe a dozen or so rifle and pistol at each match which sucks).
- Start loading .308, .30-06, and .300 Blackout. Edit: and .30 Carbine.
- Shoot at least one cowboy action match.

First quarter update:

Hit our two big local gun shows hard and sold fifteen guns. Unfortunately, I still ended up bringing two more home, but at least one of them was on my wish list. I wanted a Browning BAR in .243, with .308 as a second choice. At this last show, I had been watching a .308 ShortTrac BAR that was marked at $650 (about half what they go for new) sit, languishing at the back of a vertical rack of random fudd guns. At the end of the show, I offered the guy $550 for it, and he countered with $575 and he'd throw in a Leupold scope base and rings. Knowing a good deal when I see one, I jumped on it.

The other one I brought home was one that I picked off early in the show - a Saiga sporter in 7.62x39, which I got a good deal on and figured would be an acceptable "sporting" semi-auto if I missed out on the BAR. I don't know what to do with it, but it seems like it would make a fun "truck gun".

I got my P320 back from the "voluntary upgrade" work, but I haven't really shot it much. Just did a 50-round drill to verify that it actually worked.

I have two training classes booked in July with more possibles as my work schedule allows.

Still haven't put in for my pending tax stamps.

Not much else going on since the range is still snowed in.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Enough 180 grain S&B to cover both the carbine and handgun ammo requirements if an upcoming class plus 100 extra rounds being stocked in my go box right now. All that's left to do before the class is remember to bring the final tuition payment and use the remainder of the ammo delivery to zero the 4095 and confirm function in my PX4 compact. Plus an OPOTC patrol rifle qualification with the Hi-Point after zeroing because I can.

Then to cast and load a bucket-o-boolits after mud season to be ready for the handgun component come 3 Gun.

I've also hosed up my increased veganing so need to jump back on that bandwagon.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Get a hunting license and go hunt

get a salt bath annealing setup for BLK and 8mm cases - done! got equipment, building jigs

Do a KD Appleseed event - Scheduled - Signed up for a KD appleseed
or
Shoot Distinguished Rifleman (230+/250 and a perfect Redcoat target) at regular Appleseed - OBE

FVSR optic train upgrade - done!
Shooting at least 2 Practical Rimfire Challenge events at Peacemaker - one down, one to go

Shoot IDPA at least 3 times, and do another classifier to gauge improvement

Form 1 a .22 can - soon

2018/2019 Winter project:
Buy an "untouched" condition Nepalese P1864 Snider-Enfield to restore it to firing condition

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Bummey posted:

Stop telling people to hold your beer and you'll get there.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Mine has been to pair down most of my guns. Keep around like 4 long guns and 1 handgun. Almost there.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Past Me posted:

- Complete a 2,000 round handgun test with [random striker pistol], post results on P-F
- Murder squirrels way more often
- Tie flies with murdered squirrel tails, fish way more often
- Bolt gun smash an Appleseed KD
- Have more fun / make shooting feel less like work

Stretch goal: begin the long road to DA/SA competency.

Failed on all counts, except for making things more fun. Played around more with my J-frame. Built a pseudo-ultimate Model 60, had a great time shooting the AQT postal match with it.

For this year, late to the game but here goes:

- Establish a dryfire routine (flipping through Stoeger and Anderson now)
- Turn my garage door into a dryfire wall
- Read up on dudes using bolt-action rifles to do rifle stuff (First World War, anything by Plaster, etc)
- Set aside time to go for small game this year
- Sketch out some kind of physical fitness goals and do them (in order to shoot better)

Been screwing around with a ruck, which is fun, but I've been really unfocused and haven't been keeping track of anything (I have no idea what my pace currently is, etc). Just from a don't-die perspective, I'm a cubicle-dwelling speadsheet jockey. I need to get in front of this or I will become a walking future heart attack like everyone else I've worked with.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Get a hunting license and go hunt

get a salt bath annealing setup for BLK and 8mm cases - done! got equipment, building jigs

Do a KD Appleseed event - done! shot a 229/250
or
Shoot Distinguished Rifleman (230+/250) at regular Appleseed - might squeeze this in yet, but not vital

FVSR optic train upgrade - done!
Shooting at least 2 Practical Rimfire Challenge events at Peacemaker - one down, one to go

Shoot IDPA at least 3 times, and do another classifier to gauge improvement

Form 1 a .22 can - soon

2018/2019 Winter project: Graduation Gift/Project: moved back due to grad school stretching on one more semester than planned
Buy an "untouched" condition Nepalese P1864 Snider-Enfield to restore it to firing condition

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Why would you make your own when there are such good and inexpensive 22 cans out there?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

ilkhan posted:

Why would you make your own when there are such good and inexpensive 22 cans out there?

Because it's fun to make things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Because it's fun to make things.
Valid reason. 😁 Have fun.