Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

So, 2018:

- Slap a bitch and get him on XC skis for biathlon.

- Shoot a three gun match.
God damned well better be the one this month.

- Take a local carbine course.
Went hard mode and ran a Hi-Point. Was great.

- Take a simunitions class.
None local thanks to other class requests by clients.

- Find a venue able to attract enough registrants to host WAGINAO.
Failed. No takers as none thought they could get sufficient sign ups or just flat out didn't want to help.

- Order a Taser Pulse.
Owns but now I need a mold to blank as the press will ultimately break the live one. Also need a C2/Bolt preferably very used and decidedly cheap.

- Ride the Ultimate Prouty (two days, 200 miles)
Nope. Had to give up one of the necessary vacation days. Doing a shorter route with the family to make sure the kids are good on their new bikes. Out of my control but still sucks.

- Eat vegan MORE.
Managing but not consistently.

- Shoot more airgun.
Not looking good.

- Finish clearing the airgun range and install more targets.
Installed a couple more, have plans for another thing or two, need to find material for another plate hanger, plan to improve the backstop as well

- Camp more.
Not as much as I'd hoped but will make it anyway.

- Summit more mountains.
Nope. But have tentative plans for a full moon double and time yet to salvage this.

- Winter sports, emphasis on alpine, every day of my week and a half furlough.
Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ilkhan posted:

Why would you make your own when there are such good and inexpensive 22 cans out there?

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Because it's fun to make things.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I'll start buying cans eventually, but making stuff yourself is super fun. My F1 .30 cal can is vastly inferior to anything on the market, huge (1.5"dia x 8.3"l), weighs a ton (27oz!) and has welded itself shut with carbon, but he'll it was $180 in parts, and it'll stand up to a heavy firing schedule of 300 win mag if I really want it to. Takes the edge off some of my louder guns and that's what I wanted. The 22 can is gonna live under a handguard of a very short 22 AR

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Rat posted:

Failed miserably at getting good with long range stuff. Did everything else, as vague as it was.

Can't think of any other goals in terms of guns. However would like to check out the Weminuche wilderness, and revisit North Cascades, Glacier and a bunch of stuff in the southwest.

Been to Utah a couple times already this year, but the Weminuche wilderness and southwest Colorado will have to wait until next year on account of all being on fire.

Vacation plans for the rest of the year are still up in the air on account of my boss hasn't taken a vacation in a couple years and needs one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

SpartanIvy posted:

2018 goals:
-Sell the damned AR15 (4th time is the charm?)
-Get a suppressor
-Go to any rifle or PCC shooting competition
-Sell my AES10B maybe. I'm afraid it's still going up in value, but I never take it shooting and I could spend the ridiculous amount of money they're going for on something else
-Maybe get a Calico in 9mm
-Get some HK trigger work done (Might be happening soon if Steve of Stevesgunz doesn't get back to me soon about the waiting list I've been on for a year for my lever action work)
-Build a CETME-L. Probably won't happen because of the costs involved and I'm still saving for a house, but I would like to!
-Zero in the sights and optics for my guns. Only a few of them are actually properly setup right now and it's kind of gnawing at me.
-Assuming I buy a house, sign up for the private range nearby and begin that long process
-Have/go to a goon shoot in Texas. We had a mini one but we got rained on pretty hard but it was still fun
-Bought a house last month and I plan to go to the next local range meeting and apply.
-Sighted in my FAL

Not doing so great so far

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

CoffeeBooze posted:

2018 goals

Pick up a compound bow during the various post hunting season sales and learn to use it. Be ready to use it for hunting by October of 2018 when archery season starts.

Get my 1895g setup for use as a brush gun for hunting. A 1-4x scope seems like the best option since I do need some magnification.

Start learning about handguns so I have something to carry bow hunting in areas with potential dangerous animals. I need to do more research but a simple 22 like the Buckmark seems like a solid start.

Also do more reloading, preferably in 45-70

A bolt gun in 17HMR would also be great but I suspect thats one firearm too far.

Well, I got a little distracted and instead of getting a bow I purchased two shotguns and will soon be purchasing waterfowling gear, which leaves nothing left for a bolt gun in 17HMR. I did at least get the guide gun setup with an optic and do more reloading! Although the reloading so far is in 308 and 6.5CM. Oh, and I got a new rifle in 308 too.

I did not do a very good job of focusing on my goals this year. Not at all.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

We're halfway through the year, let's see. Pretty good progress.

Tyro posted:

Sure why not.

-Get a centerfire rifle can Form 4 pending.
-Get a bolt action 22
-Get a 357 lever to suppress(Went with a 300blk instead)
-Take a carbine class to knock some of the rust off
-Get certified as a firearms instructor (signed up for the course)

That's about it for this year.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

- Run at least 8 ranked IPSC matches
7 down so far, looking good!

- Take up missing fast-moving clay pigeons
Bought a house, so not a chance.

- Decide on which 1911 to actually buy
Done! BUL Classic Trophy IPSC Stainless – now to scrape together cash.

- Decide on which compact to actually buy
Maybe a Walther PPK? Still not sure.

- Finally get around to selling my summer drive
Done! Bought a proper truck instead though...

- Finally get around to buying a loading press (optional: learning to use it?)
Very nearly took a class, but not looking too good.

- Take up hunting
(See clay pigeon note)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Mid-year update

ilkhan posted:

Didn't participate last year, because, well, california.

But now I'm FREEEEEEEE

So lets get some goals for the year:
* CCW 2018/05/26 IN HAND!
* 1x M&P shield or similar for CCW Shield purchased 2018/01/27

* 1x Buckmark 2018/2/16
* 1x Buckmark threaded barrel for the can TacSol 4" 2018/2/19
* 1x 10/22 threaded barrel for the can Tacsol barrel 2018/1/13
* 1x Rimfire can (Sparrow?) Dead Air Mask 22 purchased and process started 2018/01/17

* 1x M&P M&P9 2.9 TB 2018/4/10
* 1x PCC? Conversion kit for one of my AR lowers, perhaps 2018/05/07 Full build ordered, but a couple pieces are backordered; 2018/05/30 Done and built
* 1x Can for pistols (Osprey? Probably not, $$$$) Rugged Obsidian 45 purchased and started 4/5/2018

* SBR one of my AR lowers stamp purchased from silencershop and process started 2018/4/2

* Get out to a range monthly or better. range membership acquired 2018/2/28, plenty of range trips now

* 3x Pistol matches (USPSA/etc)
* 1x Can for ARs (Saker? Probably not, $$$$)
All of the above, plus a 5" FDE M&P9 for competition use. I... may have a problem.
Stamps need to come back ASAP. Desert shooting is more fun than range shooting.
The 9mm AR is probably getting overhauled, too. Gonna try to sell the lower/upper/handguard and go with different options for each.

And I'm starting my goal list for 2019 already. So far: 7.62 can, Skorpion, AR10.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

hamsystem posted:

1: Finish building up the guns I currently own before buying another. I've been running stock sights on my Glock 19 for almost 2 years but I finally have some Ameriglo CAPs on order and I have a handful of things I want to get for my AR.

-Pretty much got this done, but I'm probably gonna buy an Lc9 soon

2: Get my CCW. I have the cash set aside, just need to find a class on a weekend I'm not busy.

-Done and done

3: Take a hunter safety course so I can get my license. Which leads to...

4: Put together a hunting rifle. Probably going to get a Ruger Predator left hand in 6.5 CM (not that I have much choice but that's what I wanted anyways) and a Boyd's stock for it.

-Haven't done anything towards these 2, probably won't this year

And of course get out and shoot more.

-started off strong but started slacking once bass fishing kicked off

So like 50% accomplished, I'll take it.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Ophidian posted:

Plans for 2018

Shoot more - been shooting a lot more
Do more work on 7mm rem mag hand loads - Have a load dialed in that is working out very well but ill probably do more tweaking on it.
Get better at shooting my current guns - Still working on this
Continue to get points for western hunts - got more points, more points = more better
Go on WY Antelope trip - Not happening this year, have too many weddings and a cruise with the wife is more important.

Not too bad all things considered.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

Shoot more
Figure out something to do with Rough Rider (dump it off on some goon probably)
Look into NFA stuff and/or buy a 22 can
Get a CCP so I'm not stuck forever in gun jail if I want something new
Figure out reloading for .38 spl.

Immediate future:
buy more ammo boxes to store all the 9mm I have lying around I mean really

Shot more, bought cans and ammo cans
Also should probably dump some of the guns I don't particularly enjoy shooting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I applied to the local private shooting range/club! Just need to attend the safety walkthrough on Sunday and get voted in next month, which seems to be a formality. I can't wait to be able to go to a range like 5 miles from my house that I can fire sitting, standing, or prone, use FMJ rifle rounds at, has a 200 yard range, and steel targets!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

It turns out my condo is about a mile from the loving Portland Gun Club. That's a 2018 goal of mine. Congrats on getting in!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

poeticoddity posted:

1 )Organize and properly inventory my ammunition, magazines, targets, etc.
2) Purchase fewer guns than I did last year.
3) (Related: Get a PCC)
4) Get a sportsman's license for this state and find somewhere to fish as well as somewhere local-ish to hunt.
5) Finally get around to putting together the hardware to mount my steel.
6) Clean my guns more regularly.
7) Take some coworkers to the range.
8) Shoot in at least one competition at my gun club.

1) I've made some progress, but there's more to do. In particular, I need to find a good way to organize targets.
2) Four new acquisitions so far this year, so, that's not looking good.
3) Got a Ruger PC Carbine which is kickass.
4) I've decided I'm getting a one year license so I can sock more money into savings, and that'll happen after the stupidly arbitrary August 31st expiration date for all hunting and fishing licences in this state.
5) Completely forgot about this, but totally should do it.
6) Abysmal job of this so far.
7) I've found two coworkers who've expressed interest, but it'll be easier to get people to go the range with me when the heat index stops hovering around 100F.
8) Done. Middle of the road score, but not too shabby for my first attempt.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

2018 actually contribute meaningfully to TFR because y'all are a bunch of cool folks

Maybe make a box thread.

Buy more guns. Shoot more. Maybe even compete!

Uh. There's still a few more months left in 2018...?

In serious I am at least hopeful I can knock at least two of these down before the year's out! Depression's a bitch but now that I've graduated I at least don't have that stress in my life.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

Plans for 2018
Repair Lathe
Buy an Import Inverter Tig
Mk18 Clone SBR done
Tabuk Underfolder Clone SBR
Acquire Coonan L1A1 Receiver
More Form 1 Cans
Eat an Animal I shot got a black bear
Repair and Optimize Collection
Organize Gun poo poo
Organize Office
Install Reloading Setup in Office
Shoot More
Compete in some Competitions
Get More Fitter
Shoot Longer one mile
Take More Classes
Build Cool poo poo

Just a little status update - I've lost roughly 24 lbs since April, shot out to a mile, eaten a bear made some sense of my office, own some reloading stuff, shot almost once every other weekend, and built up a sort of Mk18.

Still a long ways to go but this has been one of my most productive years to date. Also, a stretch goal that's not particularly gun related is that I am on the cusp of zeroing out my personal debt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Planned to get an AR and a Revolver. Did it. Hurray 2018.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

- Shoot a three gun match.

Ran a ghost ring Mossberg 590 reloading from an Esstac card mounted on the receiver, AR with broken RDS mount reloading from left rear pocket, and fullsize .40 USP with match trigger plus ambi safety-only conversion reloading from a kydex pouch just behind the left hip.

31/63 combined

3/11 limited

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

DeesGrandpa posted:

Spent a decent amount on biking, but woefully failed on spending less than that on guns.

Didn't get into gun games.

This year I guess

Stop impulse buying guns (good luck), get at least one suppressor, get into gun games, join a real range so I can stop loving around in the national forest except for snowshoeing shooting/camping shooting.

Still not into gun games. Had a good run at not doing impulse buying but spectacularly blew it over the last few months. Still don't have a real range. Do have a can awaiting ATF approval.

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

MrBusiness posted:

I'll play:
- Get my loving MDR This/next week, finally
- Continue developing pistol fundamentals, start practicing at 50yds
- Get a 9mm suppressor and threaded barrel for my CZ75 and test/handload some subsonic 9mm
- Expand my reloading setup to .308, .243, .357mag and maybe 9mm if I can make it worth it
- Join a club with a >200yd range and start practicing long-range shooting
- I can somehow put a bullet through a deer heart consistently out to 100yds while standing on a rickety ladder stand in the cold wind, but at the range can hardly shoot a 6" group from standing, regardless of optics. I'd like to fix this Getting better, the TFR matches and .22lr boltgun practice have actually been helping
-Physical fitness/activities: Lose 15lbs, go hiking and camping more, practice my woodsmanship lol

Other assorted stuff wishlist:
-Good ear and eye protection
-A real gun safe (Black Friday here I come)
-More reloading equipment (digital powder scale, case tumbler/sonic cleaner)
-More mags!

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

californiasushi posted:

2017: knocked down a couple things i've wanted to do for a long time like an ar10 battle rifle and a 300 blk pdw. i also didn't know i wanted a m1 carbine but thanks to fang letting me shoot his i had to get one so i did

2018:

1) get a 1-8x for the ar10. the only option that appealed to me was the leupold mk8 but it's way too expensive so i just put a placeholder bushnell 3-12x on it. the new nf 1-8x looks good, i'm hoping vortex and some other companies announce some good stuff at shot. i'm probably gonna keep the 3-12x/offset buis on there. the load i'm shooting handles the transonic well and is reasonably accurate subsonic so i can still benefit from the extra magnification at longer distances. it's also nicer for smaller targets closer. basically, i think an 8x scope might be too limiting for the capabilities of the gun

2) get an optic for my 300 blk pdw. not sure what direction i want to go just yet. not entirely sold on a red dot since the poi shift between subs and supers is so great mentioned earlier in the thread that i got a pa advanced micro for this and it's fine

3) finish building a lightweight 10.3" ar15. for an optic i'd love to put an updated leupold dpp on it (hopefully a new gen comes out at shot show). when that window gets lower and the battery life/durability get better i'll probably put one on a handgun. finished it up but cheaped out and went with a primary arms advanced micro even though it weighs .5oz more than an aimpoint t2. gotta save money for a laser. it weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces with the suppressor, light, and magazine loaded with 77s. i was hoping to be under 9# with a laser and it looks like i'll hit that goal. ba hanson 5.56 .625 gb barrel, geissele mk14, bobro lowriders, lwrci uciw stock

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Goals for 2018:
- Stop buying so many drat guns.

gently caress. Me.

This weekend I acquired a SIG P228, a Glock 27 frame, a Beretta 686, a Ruger 10/22 takedown, A Gen5 G26, and Gen4 G17T, a SIG M17, and a box of po-surp Colt and Bushy uppers and parts kits.

I think I am doing this wrong.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Why are you so... you?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Flatland Crusoe posted:

2017 was good for my shooting but that whole elk thing still hangs over my head...Leaving 3 weeks from tomorrow

1) Buy Swarovski Binoculars- Maybe soon
2) Buy a Nice O/U
3) Join a range quickly after moving for my wife’s residency match to keep up long range shooting
4) Get a job with more vacation

Some progress.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Don't spend money on anything gun-related other than match/range/training fees, ammo & components, and replacement parts for anything that breaks.

lol

At least I'm trying to sell a gun to fund my next gun purchase.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Why are you so... you?
I just wish I had your income.

/Me finishes ordering a 3.5k AR-10 (includes optic and can) that wasn't on my goal list.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

ilkhan posted:

I just wish I had your income.

We’re hiring!

I sold a bunch of stuff over the last couple months. I probably should have done something constructive with the money rather than scratching a bunch of gun itches. But here we are!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

infrared35 posted:

We’re hiring!

I sold a bunch of stuff over the last couple months. I probably should have done something constructive with the money rather than scratching a bunch of gun itches. But here we are!
I'm looking, but wrong part of the country.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Those 686s are nice guns well done.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

2018 Goals:

6.5 Creedmore Something...Not sure what but will most likely be a custom of some sort.
On order:Tikka receiver and a 26" Criterion Barrel with a KRG 180-ALPHA CHASSIS still need to get a scope for this thing.

Reloading:
Dillon of some sort
Bought a Hornady LNL AP Press, not a Dillon but close enough.
bought a ton of reloading gear for this the press
Giraud Power Trimmer and the Case holders for 223, 6.5CM, .264Win Mag, 30-06, .308Win and 7mm Mag.

poo poo I have bought that is not on the list(I need to stop doing this):
TOZ-35M also got a set of Rink Grips for this thing.
Hi-Point 1095
Ruger Redhawk
P10c
Sig1911 in .357Sig(Currently sent off to Fusion firearms for 10mm Barrel fitting and removing the stupid Series 80's components)
Walther P-38

Holding off for buying a house:
Start my FFL
Buy a Safe for FFL

Tossed in the gently caress-it bucket:
Lee Pro 1000 thing is a pile of poo poo do not buy.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

stgdz posted:

-Get a job, this loving sucks now not having a job for four months. done
-Put money down on a 223 and 45 cans then wait them out.done and I got a free 9mm can
-Get a dillon 650 with case feeder
-Get a railed 1911sorta done as I have a threaded vigil in bou bound

Stretch goals

Get a shadow of some sort
Get a R8 or 627 for league
bought three more lowers

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Goals update!
  • Get tools to finish the Five Year Plan AR - done
  • Use my C&R more - used once this year, will probably use again soon
  • Find a good place to shoot - possible spot found, pending further investigation
  • Make progress on at least one of my build projects, probably either the Suomi or the .45 Mauser - not done
  • Squirrel jihad - done
  • Get some more airguns maybe - not done
  • Write a novel with interesting characters and interesting guns in it - in progress

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

With just over two months left in the year, I've achieved a perfect 5/7 on my goals for 2018. The last two are unrealistic, but definitely something I'll keep in mind for 2019!

• - Run at least 8 ranked IPSC matches 9th down today, and my ranking keeps improving!
  • - Take up missing fast-moving clay pigeons Amazingly, this is happening right near the new house
  • - Decide on which 1911 to actually buy BUL Classic Trophy IPSC Stainless coming my way
  • - Decide on which compact to actually buy Everybody hates Kimber, gonna get me a Walther
  • - Finally get around to selling my summer drive Done! Gun goal? Sure freed up budget for ammo!
  • - Finally get around to buying a loading press (optional: learning to use it?) Not going to happen.
  • - Take up hunting Yeah, no

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

infrared35 posted:

gently caress. Me.

This weekend I acquired a SIG P228, a Glock 27 frame, a Beretta 686, a Ruger 10/22 takedown, A Gen5 G26, and Gen4 G17T, a SIG M17, and a box of po-surp Colt and Bushy uppers and parts kits.

I think I am doing this wrong.

Seems like you are doing it right to me.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Action-Bastard posted:

2018 Goals:
-Finish my degree, should have it done by Fall term if all goes according to keikaku.
-Build my second AR15
-More .22s!
-Get a bullpup, probably a Keltec RDB
-Do some kind of practical shooting course or class.
2018 Goals:
-Finish my degree, should have it done by Fall term if all goes according to keikaku.
Done!
-Build my second AR15
Halfway done!
-More .22s!
Box thread imminent!
-Get a bullpup, probably a Keltec RDB
probably not happening unless I suddenly get extra cash. maybe after taxes.
not happening either unless I can found one cheaper than dirt.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Action-Bastard posted:

2018 Goals:
Done!

not happening either unless I can found one cheaper than dirt.
Congrats, and no uspsa (or similar) matches around?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

In 2018, I'd like to finish the framework of my "US military rifles, 1795 to present" collection. That framework being a Springfield or Harper's Ferry flintlock musket, Springfield or Harper's Ferry percussion musket, Springfield or Harper's Ferry rifle-musket, trapdoor Springfield, Krag-Jørgensen, Model 1903, M1, M14, M16. All I need to complete that is a flintlock musket and a trapdoor Springfield.

I've got my eye on a decent trapdoor Springfield, but finding a flintlock that wasn't later converted to percussion is going to be the trick.

An expensive trick.

I grossly overestimated how long it was going to take me to do this.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

1: Finish building up the guns I currently own before buying another. I've been running stock sights on my Glock 19 for almost 2 years but I finally have some Ameriglo CAPs on order and I have a handful of things I want to get for my AR.

-Pretty much got this done, but I'm probably gonna buy an Lc9 soon

2: Get my CCW. I have the cash set aside, just need to find a class on a weekend I'm not busy.

-Done and done

3: Take a hunter safety course so I can get my license. Which leads to...
-Done

4: Put together a hunting rifle. Probably going to get a Ruger Predator left hand in 6.5 CM (not that I have much choice but that's what I wanted anyways) and a Boyd's stock for it.
- This is I'll call like partially accomplished. I didn't really think I'd get a chance to hunt this year but my father-in-law gave me access to some family land that they hunt so I threw a scope on my AR and ordered some Federal Fusion as a temporary solution until I can get a proper rifle setup. I was hesitant about .223 on deer but I took a doe with it yesterday and she died pretty quick and ran maybe 15 yards so I think it'll be fine for now.

-Pretty much got my list done. I may be able to get a proper hunting rifle before year's end but with holidays coming up it may be a no-go.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

That Works posted:

2018:

-Get a lever action .357
-(successfully) refinish a firearm on my own, rust blue or parkerizing
-Take an official shooting class of some kind, preferably action or defensive pistol type stuff
-learn more about and start actually doing reloading
-shoot a 300 on an Army-L at 25 yds, standing pistol
-Get my .22 bullseye match score up to at least 240

Closing on a house next week so not going to do any of the rest of these yet but that also means that I will definitely be reloading in 2019 now that I have a dedicated permanent workspace

I shot a 241 in competition the other night, so finally got the last one just this past week.

Shooting 300 has been something that I am 100% sure I can do now, but I haven't taken the time to go and try that target again. Just being lazy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Ophidian posted:

I didn't have any written goals for 2017 but I did accomplish the following:

Renew NJ purchasers permit
Sell old hunting rifle
Buy new hunting rifle
Buy obnoxious-sized revolver

Plans for 2018

Shoot more
Do more work on 7mm rem mag hand loads - Honestly, for what I am doing with the 7mm, .75moa is totally fine so this goes to the back burner
Get better at shooting my current guns
Continue to get points for western hunts
Go on WY Antelope trip - Didn't go this year but tentative plans for MO black bear in the spring

My goals aren't very lofty because I just had a kid a few months back so most of my income is tied up in child-care related stuff for the foreseeable future.
If I can squeek out a few bucks here and there I may buy a 22 rifle for some cheap shoots and my son's first gun for when he gets old enough.

Some things I did that weren't on the list:
Cobble together a G20
Get .22lr kit for G20
Cobble together a G17
Sell xdm
Sell CZ550
Trade 223 upper for binocs/tripod
Scoped my 1895g
Started reloading 10mm
Purchased a pack system (Metcalf sales were hard to pass up)
Exercise more (admittedly this has taken a dip in the last few weeks)
PAID OFF STUDENT LOAN DEBT! - FEELS GOOD MAN

I am still looking to add one more gun to the collection: a 22lr bolt gun that my kid can grow into and that I can use for loving around with cheap-o ammo but I am not sure if he is lefty or not so realistically the gun will be for me. I am going to wait for black friday sales to see if i can get something on the cheap because after paying off the student loans, I would like to build up savings a bit more since we are looking at potentially another kid and a house in the next two years or so.