Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNi_HC839Wo
Written and directed by Greta Gerwig
Starring Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn), Laurie Metcalf (Rosanne), Beanie Feldstein (Neighbors 2)

I caught this the other day, it was a really solid, unique coming-of-age movie set in 2002 (yes, 9/11 plays a big role). I've been joking that it functions as a pseudo prequel to Brooklyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is this about the dog?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mantis42 posted:

Is this about the dog?

I don't think there's a single dog in this whole movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to see this so drat badly but it isn’t out in the UK until February :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I want to see this, Frances Ha is one of my all-time favorites. I know that's Baumbach, but Gerwig had a big creative hand in it.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Just saw this one, and it was excellent. A lot of familiar high-school-movie tropes, but packed with sardonic wit. It's the kind of indie where even minor supporting characters get to have believable humanity about them*. Also Saoirse absolutely kills it; she's even better here than in "Brooklyn", I thought.

My third-favorite movie of the year so far, after "The Florida Project" and "Logan".

* with the exception of the football-coach-turned-drama-teacher, but it's still a pretty funny one-joke character.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

General Dog posted:

I want to see this, Frances Ha is one of my all-time favorites. I know that's Baumbach, but Gerwig had a big creative hand in it.

I was gonna watch it but got kinda turned off. Is it as Woody Allen/masturbatory as it looks?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was gonna watch it but got kinda turned off. Is it as Woody Allen/masturbatory as it looks?

It's very light and fun, don't let the B&W put you off.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mantis42 posted:

Is this about the dog?

No lie, I glazed over this movie constantly in the prepress because I just assumed it was a hagiography about Lady Bird Johnson.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

While this was a fine enough movie, it felt... slight to me. I don't know how else to describe it. I also felt that the tone of it fell in a weird uncanny valley between indie comedy and more realism focused (like say Manchester By The Sea or Boyhood).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't think there's a single dog in this whole movie

There most definitely is a dog.

The movie is also really great and everyone should watch it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just saw this movie. Really great performance by Ronan, and overall the movie's pretty good, but I wasn't exactly blown away. Nothing felt particularly surprising or affecting or gripping or much of anything, really. At times it felt very by-the-book, like the part with the "turns out to be a closeted Gay Catholic boy" boyfriend who made her sad and then she got over it and that's the end of that, thank you very much or the whole main character has a best friend who is not pretty and popular, then the main character starts hanging out with the pretty and popular girl in order to date the cool guy, then she realizes the cool guy and the pretty and popular girl are not her real friends, so she reconciles with her not pretty not popular best friend thing. I basically felt like I was watching a bog-standard script with nothing going for it that Greta Gerwig got her hands on and punched up into something halfway decent, rather than something straight from her brain. Surely she could have gone for something a little more electrifying than this.

NothingMatters
Nov 17, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This poor girl keeps getting typecast as a teenager. She deserves better.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003

NothingMatters posted:

This poor girl keeps getting typecast as a teenager. She deserves better.

I don't think anything can top 29 year old Anna Paquin as a high schooler in Margaret. That was awful.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

hathfallen posted:

I don't think anything can top 29 year old Anna Paquin as a high schooler in Margaret. That was awful.
Margaret was filmed in 2005, then got held up for release by Fox Searchlight until a tiny theatrical opening in 2011, whereupon critics took up the film as a noble cause. So, Anna Paquin would still have been in her early 20s, but that age gap becomes less egregious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I LOVED THIS MOVIE !!!! ahhhh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I actually thought this film was about Lady Bird Johnson because LBJ is also out

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like how grounded all the performances are, it feels like the characters are passing through the film.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Chicken Butt posted:

Just saw this one, and it was excellent. A lot of familiar high-school-movie tropes, but packed with sardonic wit. It's the kind of indie where even minor supporting characters get to have believable humanity about them*. Also Saoirse absolutely kills it; she's even better here than in "Brooklyn", I thought.

My third-favorite movie of the year so far, after "The Florida Project" and "Logan".

* with the exception of the football-coach-turned-drama-teacher, but it's still a pretty funny one-joke character.

I didn't care for the football coach either, because I was waiting some sort of payoff to the Father Leviatch sideplot. I thought he died the way the other teachers were talking about him, but then he shows up for a 30 second scene with the mom and disappears again?

Also Lucas Hedges and Lucas Till are exactly the same person, and IMDb won't convince me otherwise.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I believe the suggestion was that he suffered from suicidal thoughts.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just saw this movie. Really great performance by Ronan, and overall the movie's pretty good, but I wasn't exactly blown away. Nothing felt particularly surprising or affecting or gripping or much of anything, really. At times it felt very by-the-book, like the part with the "turns out to be a closeted Gay Catholic boy" boyfriend who made her sad and then she got over it and that's the end of that, thank you very much

But that isn't how their arc ended at all? The climactic scene with those characters happens when Lady Bird's closeted boyfriend confronts her at the coffee shop. She's defensive and trying to protect her emotions cause she got hurt - then he collapses sobbing into her arms. She suddenly realizes that there are bigger and scarier things than being let down about her romantic ambitions. It's a major moment for the character's growth.

It was a film about taking baby steps into emotional maturity. I can understand how that could feel slight, but it's something that challenges almost all of us. I loved this movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I believe the suggestion was that he suffered from suicidal thoughts.

Which in turn makes the acting exercise where he immediately starts crying and quietly apologizes retroactively way less funny and way sadder.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

the black husserl posted:

But that isn't how their arc ended at all? The climactic scene with those characters happens when Lady Bird's closeted boyfriend confronts her at the coffee shop. She's defensive and trying to protect her emotions cause she got hurt - then he collapses sobbing into her arms. She suddenly realizes that there are bigger and scarier things than being let down about her romantic ambitions. It's a major moment for the character's growth.

It was a film about taking baby steps into emotional maturity. I can understand how that could feel slight, but it's something that challenges almost all of us. I loved this movie.
Oh yeah I totally didn't see that part coming. I totally thought that subplot was going to end up somewhere else.

Just kidding. I mean come on, if your reaction to my complaint that this felt like a paint-by-numbers coming of age teen drama is "hey remember the guy when the closeted gay Catholic boy breaks down crying and makes up with the main character who then moves on?" I think you might be able to tell why I'm not super impressed? Like can you seriously tell me that that's not the single story beat that this subplot would get in literally any other teen movie that wasn't trying to do things differently? I mean I guess the other "saw it coming a mile away" option is the kid commits suicide but aside from that I could have fallen asleep at the start of that scene, woken up at the end, and told you what had happened just by guessing.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I loved this movie. It really captured that ‘so-loving-sure-of-yourself’ attitude of a high schooler, and then subverted a lot of teen tropes to show how she learned (or often didn’t learn) lessons about herself and others. Case in point:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Oh yeah I totally didn't see that part coming. I totally thought that subplot was going to end up somewhere else.

Just kidding. I mean come on, if your reaction to my complaint that this felt like a paint-by-numbers coming of age teen drama is "hey remember the guy when the closeted gay Catholic boy breaks down crying and makes up with the main character who then moves on?" I think you might be able to tell why I'm not super impressed? Like can you seriously tell me that that's not the single story beat that this subplot would get in literally any other teen movie that wasn't trying to do things differently? I mean I guess the other "saw it coming a mile away" option is the kid commits suicide but aside from that I could have fallen asleep at the start of that scene, woken up at the end, and told you what had happened just by guessing.

The point isn’t that she moves on. It’s that she supports him even after she felt ‘betrayed.’ It’s the first moment in the film, and maybe even in her life, where she steps outside of herself and shows empathy. The graduation dinner scene even shows that they’re still close friends, suggesting that she didn’t just ‘move on’ but instead remained in the life of someone who benefitted from her support. The paint-by-numbers thing would’ve been to stop at her feeling sorry for herself for having fallen in love with a gay boy, and for the film to use that character in a lovely way as an obstacle for the heroine to overcome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This was a really good movie. Yes nothing remarkable or incredibly original happened in it but it was so good and real and the writing was so consistently on point, who gives a poo poo?

I think my only note would be it goes on like three minutes too long. I thought the part where she introduced herself as Catherine would have been the better end point that said most of what the scenes that followed said a little more bluntly.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think my only note would be it goes on like three minutes too long. I thought the part where she introduced herself as Catherine would have been the better end point that said most of what the scenes that followed said a little more bluntly.

I’m kind of torn of this but I see your point. I think that particular scene runs too long, but I do like what happens after.

Also, Laurie Metcalf better get a best supporting actress nomination. I also really liked the dad. What has he been in?

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 28, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Besides writing August: Osage County, which is one of the best plays of the millenium so far, he was also in Homeland for a couple seasons, as well as The Big Short, Christine (the one where the news anchor blows her brains out), and Wiener-Dog.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
There's something weird about the production company that made this, A24, I immediately want to see almost everything they produce, like they found a niche that is my taste in movies and keep exploiting it. I don't know how to describe it. Looking back at their 2017 and 2016 releases, almost all of the movies I've watched are movies I really liked, and some of them are very specific movies that I recommend to other people when they ask me if I've seen anything good lately. Even though I've never tried to specifically see their movies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah, A24 stormed right out of the gate at full throttle and hasn't let up since.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I completely agree, but I still didn't quite wrap my head about Catherine's little speech at the end of the movie was meant to convey, specifically driving around Sacramento the first time. I was nursing what was quickly becoming a debilitating headache by the end of the movie, so I was having trouble processing a whole hell of a lot anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean the speech was clearly about how she already missed home. just like how the city she had spent her entire life in took on a new form as she drive around fir the first time, it's something else now that it's all the way on the other side of the country.. I thought the scene was nice just all if that had already been implied or at least didn't need to be stated.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I preferred this movie the first time I saw it when it was called Rushmore.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Was there any particular reason why the film is set in 2003?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was there any particular reason why the film is set in 2003?

Because it’s when Greta Gerwig was a high school senior as this is The Greta Gerwig Story.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I finally saw the movie and like it a lot, and I expect it will grow on me even more on repeat viewings.

That said, one thing I didn't quite follow was why the mom was so angry about the financial aid applications and acceptance into the New York college. I get her being hurt about it being done behind her back, but I'm still fuzzy on why Lady Bird and her dad felt the need to do so to begin with.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I finally saw the movie and like it a lot, and I expect it will grow on me even more on repeat viewings.

That said, one thing I didn't quite follow was why the mom was so angry about the financial aid applications and acceptance into the New York college. I get her being hurt about it being done behind her back, but I'm still fuzzy on why Lady Bird and her dad felt the need to do so to begin with.

she's worried if Lady Bird leaves, she'll never come back

They also do it behind her back because every time it's brought up, the Mom just shuts the conversation down and is clear she doesn't want it to happen and won't allow it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

she's worried if Lady Bird leaves, she'll never come back

They also do it behind her back because every time it's brought up, the Mom just shuts the conversation down and is clear she doesn't want it to happen and won't allow it

Does the mom have a stated reason she doesn't want it to happen? Obviously she wouldn't voice the real reason.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

General Dog posted:

Does the mom have a stated reason she doesn't want it to happen? Obviously she wouldn't voice the real reason.

The family can’t afford it. Lady Bird isn’t exactly a stellar student, so financial aid is only going to go so far. But, on top of that, poor families need everyone to chip in. Dad has depression, mom is overworked. Going to college around home means that Lady Bird can chip in on family duties/finances. Going to New York means spending more money and losing another contributor.

Lady Bird also makes it fairly clear that her desire to go east is rooted in a rejection of home and mom’s values, so her mom is fighting that as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

MisterBibs posted:

I completely agree, but I still didn't quite wrap my head about Catherine's little speech at the end of the movie was meant to convey, specifically driving around Sacramento the first time. I was nursing what was quickly becoming a debilitating headache by the end of the movie, so I was having trouble processing a whole hell of a lot anyway.

She’s Christine. Also, Sacremento = her mom. I’m pretty sure the first scene in the car is shown again when her parents drive her to the airport. Her mom doesn’t want to continue listening because she wants, in part, to take in Sacremento when they arrive back. Lady Bird says she hates Sac throughout the movie until the Sister brings up the attention she gave it in her essay, and that attention = Love. Her mom is freaked because if she moves away, she won’t love her anymore, she won’t like Sac anymore.

Her parents’ stress about the cost is part of it, but they show that’s its doable. But it’s that fear that she’ll never come back. Bird leaving the nest, after all. Especially when Lady Bird keeps bringing up how much she wants to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bibs getting the name wrong was my bad because he was quoting me and I'm terrible with names and I guessed when I would usually look it up.

Edit and I just now realized the Mom was the Aunt from Roseanne :aaaaa:

• Locked thread