Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
roll it back uninstall firefox 57
install firefox 52 esr 32-bit (for maximum compatibility) https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

about :config in address bar
xpinstall.signatures.required false
xpinstall.whitelist.required false

go to the firefox addons page and follow the links under More for disabled addons with no enable button to get to the install links in a new tab. then click remove in the add-on page and proceed to reinstall them. if theres a simple way to just get the enable button that would be better because you wouldnt lose the settings for each addon you handle this way

upgrading to 57 is a clusterfuck and still no noscript support. wait the upgrade out a months. by then every addon that is going to upgrade will have upgraded. or wait for xenforo on sa because salr wont update until that is done

also make a backup of your profile before the next time you consider upgrading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
going to 57 and back wiped my firefox history. which was several years long because i like being able to type in some half-remembered thing and instantly get it back (redundant urls and generic things like search query urls were cleaned by another process so the history was probably more compact than yours)

and i cant get middle-clicked bookmarks or links from the firefox recent menu to load as an independent (not child) tab in tree style tabs again for the life of me

so upgrading to a new and shittily supported version because "faster!" according to some idiot gbs thread: great success

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 18, 2017

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ive still got one trick up my sleeve :suicide:

later ill try 55 or 56 unbranded

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

unless your entire life depends on SALR
then its settled :sweep:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it takes a few seconds per site which is a lot of sites when you first get started but later on you realize you only visit new sites pretty rarely

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
noscript isnt the only thing its just the minimum thing that should be there for 57 to be viable

Guy Mann posted:

You could also just put PiHole on a $10 Raspberry Pi Zero-W and automatically block everything at the network level without having to futz with individual extensions and browsers and apps
recommending a blacklist over a whitelist :raise: i know its good but no

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

57 is such a dramatic improvement in the general experience of using firefox
lol this guy has never even opened the options menu in any program ever

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i already have a raspberry pi 0 running pihole, a raspberry pi 3 managing torrents and nnts downloads, and another raspberry pi doing nothing because it turns out i dont really need a 3rd thing
separating the tasks by machine made qos management a lot easier on the router

like i said noscript is by far not the only thing i want

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
buy a new goddamn printer!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
one of these days skeleton ape... one of these days :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's the workflow with noscript btw ?
You go to a site, poo poo's all hosed, so you manually decide whether to enable jquery-2.11.bitcoin.js or ga-5466313198.js or backgroundmusic.js ?
you can do it by top level (allow somethingawful.com) or 2nd level (allow www.somethingawful.com & forums.somethingawful.com separately) domains. most pages dont need scripts at all anyway

• Locked thread