Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

So, are you saying this submission was plagiarized? If so, and your evidence checks out, I'll remove it and ban the poster (from phridays, at Ieast).

i remember saving a few, then deleting them because a few posts later someone said they were just sourced from google, but i may have missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I personally take a hard stance on plagiarism, if you're too lazy to type (not mine) after an image you didn't make then you are not welcome on the front page. This has been basic forums ettiquite for like twenty years so there's no excuse.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I personally take a hard stance on plagiarism, if you're too lazy to type (not mine) after an image you didn't make then you are not welcome on the front page. This has been basic forums ettiquite for like twenty years so there's no excuse.

agreed. my brain is a little flu boiled today but i'm going to look into it also.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I don't really have any evidence other than that link and the date on it. I really don't like calling stuff out like this, but it seems crappy to have a general internet meme included in a Phriday.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

It is crappy and we do try to catch stuff like that before publishing it. Can't win them all though.

I want to hear what Cough Drop The Beat has to say about what are still just allegations.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It is crappy and we do try to catch stuff like that before publishing it. Can't win them all though.

Definitely not your or Heather's fault.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

this is the first day in a couple i am able to use my brain effectively and sit at my computer for any amount of time. the flu is a blast.

so i'm going to go back through the thread and do some internet detective-ing of the image, and we'll figure out what the deal is. it is incredibly obvious Photoshop threads are for your own creations, but maybe it needs to be stated outright. there are new posters, and posters not used to GBS.

still, this is basic poo poo.

secondly, if i get confirmation i think next phriday will be a combo of the merge media/what should i do with minion joker. the merge media subs are of a super high quality, but that means there isn't enough of them for a full article. there is some pretty amazing work in the minion joker thread if you haven't seen it and i think if we do both of these we'll have enough for a mostly full paged article, but if not i don't mind. quality over quantity.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

Definitely not your or Heather's fault.

also thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. i super appreciate it.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

https://paperback-paradise.com/

:smith:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Okay. Thank you for looking into that, HP. I've reached out to Cough Drop The Beat but they're currently probated, so let's give them some time to respond. I'm going to leave the article as it is until we've heard all the sides in this.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Okay. Thank you for looking into that, HP. I've reached out to Cough Drop The Beat but they're currently probated, so let's give them some time to respond. I'm going to leave the article as it is until we've heard all the sides in this.

i think it's pretty obvious that they did some photoshopping, they removed the watermark. if you look at the flowers in the corner you can see where it was removed. there is an insanely outside chance they run that website but yeah. i think we leave things as they stand for now.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Update: I have heard from Cough Drop the Beat, who was very cooperative and I believe understands the severity of what we're talking about. I've encouraged them to post their own account of the issue first-hand here, at their availability.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As I discussed in PMs with BoldFrankensteinMir:

I fully understand the allegations and why it's a huge issue from your perspective. I blame my co-worker who reads the front page all the time and told me to make that Photoshop. I thought the text and concept was really hilarious when he told me... but it's pretty obvious he just told me to copy a funny edit he saw on Facebook or whatever. I'm very sorry about it and I will take a lifetime ban from Photoshop Phridays because I am a dumbass who took inspiration and unknowingly plagiarized from a work friend.

Good luck with future Photoshop Phridays! :)

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

As I discussed in PMs with BoldFrankensteinMir:

I fully understand the allegations and why it's a huge issue from your perspective. I blame my co-worker who reads the front page all the time and told me to make that Photoshop. I thought the text and concept was really hilarious when he told me... but it's pretty obvious he just told me to copy a funny edit he saw on Facebook or whatever. I'm very sorry about it and I will take a lifetime ban from Photoshop Phridays because I am a dumbass who took inspiration and unknowingly plagiarized from a work friend.

Good luck with future Photoshop Phridays! :)

i think lifetime may be excessive. i am one thousand percent sure i've plagarized a joke while chainposting in byob. we are all on the same team here, just gotta make sure we are all on the same page!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Heather Papps posted:

i think lifetime may be excessive. i am one thousand percent sure i've plagarized a joke while chainposting in byob. we are all on the same team here, just gotta make sure we are all on the same page!

Yup, stuff happens, but I'm sorry about it! Definitely will never happen again.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Thank you, CDTP. I'll ammend the article tonight. I'm still going to feature the image, it's just gonna be the last page entry, and we'll talk about what happened because it's an interesting case.

I agree that a ban is not appropriate. Just understand that if you do post 'shops there's going to be extra scrutiny on you for a while. But don't let that stop you from posting.

Galaxander, thank you also for bringing this up. I hope we've resolved the issue.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks all. I'm glad to see Cough Drop the Beat won't be excluded from future Phridays. Not having a non-original image in an article was my only concern, and it seems pretty clear they are a reasonable and non-malicious poster. :toot:

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Galaxander posted:

Thanks all. I'm glad to see Cough Drop the Beat won't be excluded from future Phridays. Not having a non-original image in an article was my only concern, and it seems pretty clear they are a reasonable and non-malicious poster. :toot:

such is life. the more submissions the better. the trick i suppose is doing stuff that is based more conceptual stuff like the merge media, or just super strangeness like the joker minion.

also, due to my flu, and also just life and come on fyad exploded, we're gonna push the article. the merge media thread is tremendous and it was a real mindfuck seeing the minion joker thread in gbs. for a moment i thought it was goldmined, based on the byob goldmine having normal font, but then, well... anyways.
flubrain.

my apologies!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Article has been updated.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is this our fault? :ohdear:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I'm confused, what do you mean?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Way late here but I can't let the chickencheese world tour be forgotten! It was like hands across america but with sandwiches across the subforums. It has short stories, D&D stats, 3D renders, chickens eating cheese, and this post from TFR.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Friend posted:

Way late here but I can't let the chickencheese world tour be forgotten! It was like hands across america but with sandwiches across the subforums. It has short stories, D&D stats, 3D renders, chickens eating cheese, and this post from TFR.

Okay wow, yeah, never knew about that before. Thank you!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm confused, what do you mean?

I think it's the first time HumbleBundle are selling a Romance Novels bundle... after that photoshop phriday.

I just got a chuckle from that. :kiddo:

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Ah, I gotcha now. Wouldn't be surprised, people sure do love trying to sell you crap based, purportedly, on web media you like.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

I should mention I have been mega flu'ed and moved, so blame me for lack of phriday. There will be a joker minion update asap tho!!!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

I should mention I have been mega flu'ed and moved, so blame me for lack of phriday. There will be a joker minion update asap tho!!!

im finishing up watermarking and reformatting but dang, it's really hard because i keep laughing and it's hard to use my mouse and keyboard when i'm doubled over chuckling like a madman.

i was very sick when the thread took off, and then moved soon after and it was goldmined before i was back in posting form, and holy poo poo, there is some incredibly impressive work in there.

thank ya'll for your patience, (not that you, or i for that matter, really have a choice), but it feels RIGHT that the first photoshop phriday of 2020 is the joker minion.
it'll definitely be a two parter, but i'm thinking that we might stick the merge media in between, as i finished all the reformat stuff on that before joker minion really took off.
regardless, holy poo poo guys, you rule.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Joker Minion 1 is up.

The page breaks may be hosed up again because SA's publisher thing enjoys torturing me with never ending errors. If you've ever wondered what it's like to write for this place, imagine trying to type paragraphs on a circa-1998 Xerox machine.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ended on a cliffhanger

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, I think it works, knowing what a treasure trove will be in part II. Heather Papps had to convince me to block it out like this, I didn't fully get what they were going for at first. But it's clever.

I wish SASBI or whatever would save the drat page breaks though, I've tried fixing it twice now.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Hooray for phriday

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

Ended on a cliffhanger

i was away from home for about a week, and uhhh... well, technology is fun!

i think we are back on schedule for regular updates, pending technology!

also, i'm aware i've said i thought we were on track before BUT that's why i'm adding the "pending technology" caveat.

BFM did a fantastic job, though, considering what he had to deal with. goof that i am, i even watermarked some of the joker minion gifs, but never uploaded them? but this means the second part can be a mighty hammer.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A mighty hammer indeed

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

what happened to photoshop phriday?

a poster with a username with Frankenstein in it shot it with lightning, and well, guess it's ALIVE

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

what happened to photoshop phriday?

a poster with a username with Frankenstein in it shot it with lightning, and well, guess it's ALIVE

Couldn't do it without ya, Igor.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Couldn't do it without ya, Igor.

WALK LIKE THIS!

limps, right arm twisted from reformatting

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

There were a bunch in there I'm sure I didn't see before. I thought I read that thread!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hmm, interesting.

I don't use facebook anymore so I'm curious, is there an actual SA front page presence there? I recall Lowtax telling me the SA accounts had "gone rogue" at some point in the past.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

we have the second half of the phear phactory article in the chamber, but maybe the circle/orb thread? i may have missed a thread i don't read gbs enuf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Hmm, interesting.

I don't use facebook anymore so I'm curious, is there an actual SA front page presence there? I recall Lowtax telling me the SA accounts had "gone rogue" at some point in the past.

nothing here was recent, but we sould bug lowtax about this, maybe