Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Heather Papps posted:

we have the second half of the phear phactory article in the chamber, but maybe the circle/orb thread? i may have missed a thread i don't read gbs enuf

Orb thread got a legit chuckle out of me with a Goatse edit, was not expecting that.

Edit- Short but sweet!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

quality over quantity: it's the reverse of my posting strategy!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I mentioned this briefly in the article but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts too: did Lowtax do the right thing censoring the Offensive Breakfast Cereals Phriday from 2005?

I know the debate has made the rounds before, "freedom of expression vs emboldening actual racial violence" being a worn out trope of its own that nobody seems to have a good solution for, and I'm not suggesting a big fight to put racist slurs back into the Phridays library- the article really wasn't that funny to begin with. But considering Lowtax still has only ever blocked page 1 of it and people on Reddit are still pointing that out as a criticism of us in 2020 , I wonder if it's like an intentional half-measure meant to walk the line? Maybe that's brilliant, or maybe it's just lazy. Both? I'm really not sure.

It matters, to me at least, because I'm still trying to figure out the right tone for these articles, and if endless variants on "Saigon Execution" are still okay but L/R confusion and buck-teeth jokes are not, I guess I'm just left hoping I don't make an offensive mistake doing this goofy thing. Like I still don't know how to feel about "Microwave's Mom" images, they feel a lot like doxxing an innocent woman, so I make fun of people for submitting them, but is that enough? I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

this is a good point, and more broadly a good post.

i am going to think about this.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I mentioned this briefly in the article but I'm interested in other peoples' thoughts too: did Lowtax do the right thing censoring the Offensive Breakfast Cereals Phriday from 2005?

I know the debate has made the rounds before, "freedom of expression vs emboldening actual racial violence" being a worn out trope of its own that nobody seems to have a good solution for, and I'm not suggesting a big fight to put racist slurs back into the Phridays library- the article really wasn't that funny to begin with. But considering Lowtax still has only ever blocked page 1 of it and people on Reddit are still pointing that out as a criticism of us in 2020 , I wonder if it's like an intentional half-measure meant to walk the line? Maybe that's brilliant, or maybe it's just lazy. Both? I'm really not sure.

It matters, to me at least, because I'm still trying to figure out the right tone for these articles, and if endless variants on "Saigon Execution" are still okay but L/R confusion and buck-teeth jokes are not, I guess I'm just left hoping I don't make an offensive mistake doing this goofy thing. Like I still don't know how to feel about "Microwave's Mom" images, they feel a lot like doxxing an innocent woman, so I make fun of people for submitting them, but is that enough? I'm the only person in all of this who ends up with my real name attached to some of these images, so it's probably something I should think about.

Looking through, idk if there was much baby in that bathwater. It'd be one thing if they were really unique or clever, but a bunch of them were just Frosted Flakes with slurs on the box or whatever. The kind of thing you can probably find by the shovelful elsewhere.

I don't like the Microwave Mom ones because to me they're 100% unfunny if you don't get the ref, but I accept that that is a proud tradition or whatever.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Galaxander posted:

Looking through, idk if there was much baby in that bathwater. It'd be one thing if they were really unique or clever, but a bunch of them were just Frosted Flakes with slurs on the box or whatever. The kind of thing you can probably find by the shovelful elsewhere.

I don't like the Microwave Mom ones because to me they're 100% unfunny if you don't get the ref, but I accept that that is a proud tradition or whatever.

That's a really good point- if you are going to make an argument for any of this material qualifying for protection based on some lofty ideal of free speech, it better be funny enough to be worth the effort.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

That's a really good point- if you are going to make an argument for any of this material qualifying for protection based on some lofty ideal of free speech, it better be funny enough to be worth the effort.

okay: this is something i've been thinking about for a long time.

it is easy to make a gross and offensive mean joke.

it is hard to make a nice and kind, yet still legit funny joke.

i am going to laugh at someone getting hit in the nuts with a football, or even last night i was holding onto a bell my nephew wanted, and when i let go he pulled it into his head and knocked his toddler rear end on the ground and i belly laughed at him for a full few minutes.

i am going to find my laptop and post 20 year old photoshops i made, to try and help hammer this point home, whatever the hell this point is.

i think it's something about punching up instead of down tho'

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hate Speech isn't Free Speech. It's probably only in the U.S. that there's an inability to grasp this concept.

Also stand-up rules apply. If you're going to be touching serious subjects, you better be sure you're on top of your game.
Sadly random internet people are usually not comedic geniuses.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

And the plot thickens...

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

meta meta fourth fifth meta lol memes

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

We haven't had such regular updates in a month of Phridays!

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

We haven't had such regular updates in a month of Phridays!

sorry guys!
i would say this weeks lack of updates is about 75% my fault, 25% the cruel hand of fate. what is lowtax yelling at should be up sooner than later, but i really hope no one sends me an angry pm about this please don't it would ruin my whole life forever and ever.

here is a question: there is a lot of video editing/youtubey folk on the boards. now that it's the future and the internet is fast, would trying to do board video theme threads be an idea that would work, if people know we'd embed a bunch of videos in an article with commentary, like a premiere phriday?

just spitballing here, i tried having a general frontpage thread but goons gonna goon.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
There's been a long running joke on Reddit etc that people skip right over video links because it feels like too much investment for a quick joke that might not hit with you or pay off.

I feel like its right. I probably wouldn't click a link to 10-15 short videos. Even if they were 10-20 seconds or less each.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i was thinking embedded videos, but again, just spitballin'

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

We're having an issue right now where page breaks aren't working, so keep in mind anything you want to do an article of on the FP requires, for the moment, that all content be loaded at once.

Most connections can probably handle it but there's maybe still a few people who will have trouble with like 8 youtube clips at once, I dunno.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Embedded gifv that autoplay do the job just fine, and they're usually the length of otherwise gif animations... they sometimes pop-up in PP threads and I personnally would love "video phriday" threads.
Not sure how much participation they would see, but I would jump in in my case.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

who ever is mod of the front page discussion forum give me a sixer, no article this week and it's not exactly my fault, look!

there is a watermark!

anyways, technical issues sorta, but also the tail end of winter is killing me.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

dang it

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Congratulations on your first solo Phriday Heather Papps!!!

What happened to Photoshop Phriday? You happened to Photoshop Phriday! :boom:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I enjoyed the style choice of having captions under the pictures. I didn't read them all, but I like it.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Congratulations on your first solo Phriday Heather Papps!!!

What happened to Photoshop Phriday? You happened to Photoshop Phriday! :boom:

i am bummed i messed up the first caption somehow, but, well, it's my first day!
E:ug I just noticed another minor typo I missed because I'd been staring at it for overlong. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Galaxander posted:

I enjoyed the style choice of having captions under the pictures. I didn't read them all, but I like it.

the CMS is a joy! this article took longer than it should have because i was kinda brute forcing my way through it, and some style elements are, well... ANYWAYS, excuses for not my best jokes! at a certain point I considered just posting them without any comment, but i am following the :justpost: philosophy.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2020

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think you hit the mark for how the comments are supposed to be.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Galaxander posted:

I think you hit the mark for how the comments are supposed to be.

I agree. And it's definitely a new formatting style but like we were talking about elsewhere, this might actually be better for SEO than the old way of doing it.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I agree it's better with the captions underneath like this!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A classic returns. Great job HP!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:nice:

Edit: Oh god, the puns

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

Edit: Oh god, the puns

it's my personal hell!

oh also: sorry everyone. a combo of tech issues and me being physically incapacitated for a lil bit resulted in the dearth of phridays, but i take full responsibility some one redtext me I DARE YOU.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's a collection of humorous photoshops. Don't worry about it.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

itry posted:

It's a collection of humorous photoshops. Don't worry about it.

i try not to take anything seriously besides being reliable, and even that i'm bad at sometimes. also, couldn't find a way to get

down to a gif that was also small enough for the content manager to handle, which was a bummer.
anyways, here's an article:

https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/magnificent-bastard/

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Heather Papps posted:

okay: this is something i've been thinking about for a long time.

it is easy to make a gross and offensive mean joke.

it is hard to make a nice and kind, yet still legit funny joke.

It's largely because a large chunk of human humor is based on either embarrassment, danger or failure so trying to balance morality is always going to be a tightrope and that's before you consider the merits of absurdity, shock value and taboo subjects. On one side your jokes are incredably bland and preachy on other you've just got mean spirited high school tier humilation which may do some actual damage.

Zombiejack fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 3, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No offence but I'd probe anyone posting in a Photoshop thread like that. It doesn't add anything to a front page either, imo.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
photoshop friday is back....in pog form!

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/horror-wholesome/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's back, baby. Will put another (recent one this time) up this week!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Glad to see Photoshop Phriday back, but I feel like though it might be difficult to decide what makes the cut and what doesn't, pruning it down a bit would be nice.

Personally, I clicked over to the second page, saw that there was 29 pages with about 10 images on each page and immediately gave up.

If there's a Phriday or Goldmine on the front page that really catches my interest with some "best of" highlights, following up and reading the thread is always an option. This also can encourage more people to sign up on the forums, which I feel was always part of the purpose of the front page.

Don't get me wrong, really glad to see that something is happening up front, thanks for that!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

More photoshop phridays!

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 3, 2021

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I agree!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bring back photoshop Friday

Start with the rear end thread and work backwards

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
bump

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Somebody would need to do a bump to get this back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018