Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I’m gonna go with Tonight, but I think there can be some discussion about this.

I love Bowie, most people with good taste in music would agree with me. But after listening to most of his albums, I don’t see how one can argue that even some of his most popular albums are kind of...eh...top heavy in the sense that the singles are usually awesome but the rest of the album is kind of meh.

This doesn’t apply to all his albums naturally (Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, Heroes, Low come to mind). However, after Let’s Dance (a good album), it seems his music does get kind of dated. That prodigy rip off album ‘Earthling” comes to mind. And most of his 80’s/90’s work in general. So Bowie is by no means perfect.

So what do you say goons? Which of his albums do you hate the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

A spicy but somewhat valid opinion. It gets shoved down your throat as ‘one of the greatest albums of all time’ so I could technically see someone disliking it for how...played out it is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

facebook jihad posted:

A spicy but somewhat valid opinion. It gets shoved down your throat as ‘one of the greatest albums of all time’ so I could technically see someone disliking it for how...played out it is.
Actually yes. The praise for what was a kind of okay teen-pop album is all out of proportion. Also because as a somewhat moderate Bowie fan who grew up around a bunch of hipster-ish indie rockers I was regularly bombarded by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI66hcu9fIs

What, I ask, is what's amazing about this exactly? It's okay... but I think the appeal is really the persona where you have a queer-ish rocker on stage. But if you want to jam out to gender-bending performers wearing makeup there are plenty to pick from in the 1970s that you can really dance to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EnldChgP0Q

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 18, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I feel like Gemini isn't great but it's better than This Unruly Mess I've Made.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the one with the disco songs about his baby

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I have really mixed feelings about Let's Dance. The singles are great of course. I like Ricochet for its production value. I'm a sucker for weird vocal effects. China Girl and Cat People have great openings but are ultimately forgettable. Shake It sucks.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 18, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hunky Dory is a perfect album and I won’t hear any slander against it

Otherwise yeah I don’t listen to much past Let’s Dance. I’ve only listened to Blackstar once or twice but it seems solid. It’s kind of a heavy album considering the story surrounding it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the album he put out after 9/11, 'heathen' got virtually no play and was and is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtNAXxwn-I

sorry to not play by the rules but i haven't seen a bowie thread since he died, so there's his best album instead

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

extra stout posted:

the album he put out after 9/11, 'heathen' got virtually no play and was and is beautiful

sorry to not play by the rules but i haven't seen a bowie thread since he died, so there's his best album instead

Slow burn actually got the poo poo played out of it here in 03

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Earthling is fine, Seven Years in Tibet and I'm Afraid of Americans alone elevate it over his dark ages output like Tonight or his super early goofball work like Man of Words/Man of Music. You can't even make a strong case for Hours when you have Never Let Me Down sitting on the shelf like a terrible unwanted gift from someone you love too much to just throw away

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Question is invalid. Close thread.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Not including the laughably dogshit 80s ones here, my biggest disappointment in the catalog was the batch of Outside, Earthling and Hours. Heathen is very good and I'm glad to see it getting some love

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Buddha of Suburbia

there are three tracks on it that I do like, which are ambient instrumentals, but the rest of the album is just kind of blah

also not a big fan of the Tin Machine stuff

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Earthling (except for I’m Aftaid if Americans)

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

extra stout posted:

Heathen was my introduction to David Bowie thanks to Pandora. I guess growing up I always knew of Bowie, but never got into him until Heathen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyrPqUuKDIM

To keep on topic with the thread: I tried listening to Low earlier this week and couldn't get into it. However, based on everything I've read, it sounds like that's a personal problem :shrug:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Low was written in Berlin in the late stages of cocaine psychosis. It takes a couple listens to get into. But it's good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Low was written in Berlin in the late stages of cocaine psychosis. It takes a couple listens to get into. But it's good.

it was indeed in Berlin but he was trying to get clean when he wrote it. he had just moved to Berlin with Iggy Pop who was also trying to get clean at that time. its also a very Brian Eno influenced album so if you don't like weird ambient music it just might not be your thing.

the album you might be thinking of is Station to Station, he was so hosed up while recording that he said he couldnt remember the sessions. imo one of his best albums (as is Low)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the photo album from his funeral

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
all of them :cool:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

this is the opinion I would have, if I was a complete idiot

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

the photo album from his funeral

:agreed:
:saddowns:

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Excuse me, sir, but I'm going to need you to suck the poo poo straight out of my whole rear end in a top hat

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Let’s Dance was the soundtrack to me losing my virginity so I deeply hate that album

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What about his early early stuff? When it's mostly acoustic? Major Tom, etc. I found that stuff a bit hard to get into.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

What about his early early stuff? When it's mostly acoustic?

it loving great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_Wbjz8JTc

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Neukoln19 posted:

Excuse me, sir, but I'm going to need you to suck the poo poo straight out of my whole rear end in a top hat

why dont you David Blowme

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What the gently caress Earthling loving owns what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Not counting the usual, obvious ones (his early stuff, 80's post-Let's Dance, some of his later albums though I like those more than most) I'll say Heroes. I really don't like any of the songs besides the title track, and even then the live version from Stage is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL49Aahl18Q

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

definitely The Wall

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
im afraid of americans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

the album you might be thinking of is Station to Station, he was so hosed up while recording that he said he couldnt remember the sessions. imo one of his best albums (as is Low)
Best Bowie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aViim_DkAfA

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Also I have strongly felt that loving Robin Thicke sonic atrocity Blurred Lines is a complete ripoff of TVC15 from the minute I first heard it years ago, but nobody seems to ever know what I'm talking about

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Rock and Roll Suicide doesn't do it for you? I mean it's cool but goddamn I love that song. I don't really have a least favorite but I guess The Next Day is not really on my rotation. Love Blackstar though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

an oddly awful oud posted:

Also I have strongly felt that loving Robin Thicke sonic atrocity Blurred Lines is a complete ripoff of TVC15 from the minute I first heard it years ago, but nobody seems to ever know what I'm talking about

yeah thats a bit of a stretch

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Tomato Burger posted:

To keep on topic with the thread: I tried listening to Low earlier this week and couldn't get into it. However, based on everything I've read, it sounds like that's a personal problem :shrug:

Yeah, that's completely on you. The first 6 tracks are catchy, tight pop songs. The second half of the album is Brian Eno and David Bowie. It's easily one of his top 3 albums.

edit: now I'm on track 3 of Low,

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Nude posted:

Rock and Roll Suicide doesn't do it for you? I mean it's cool but goddamn I love that song. I don't really have a least favorite but I guess The Next Day is not really on my rotation. Love Blackstar though.

Easily my fav David Bowie song of all time and I like to sing along loudly to it while I do the dishes

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
I really only like Ziggy Stardust and the ones with Eno and Lodger is the weakest out of those.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Not including the laughably dogshit 80s ones here, my biggest disappointment in the catalog was the batch of Outside, Earthling and Hours. Heathen is very good and I'm glad to see it getting some love

Yeah that’s my opinion pretty much too. Black Tie White Noise is an album I’ll defend to the death for its early 90s dance music appeal, but Outside is basically David Bowie covers NIN and Earthling is David Bowie covers Prodigy/Chemical Brothers. They’re fine for what they are (one of my exes loves Outside but she was kind of into the goth scene) but don’t stack up in comparison to his entire catalogue. Hours is just meeeeehh

Tonight is probably the most obvious answer, but my first and only listen to that album was one of the worst experiences I’ve had in listening to an album period. I had recently listened to Let’s Dance in its entirety so I figured Tonight wouldn’t be that bad. Most of the mediocre Bowie albums at least have strong singles to support it, but Tonight doesn’t even have that. Loving The Alien is ok I guess.

I mostly stick to the Diamond Dogs-Scary Monsters span when I listen to Bowie. Ziggy and Hunky Dory are great albums as well, but I’ve burned out hard on them. Never really enjoyed Aladdinsane either but it’s still better than the other stuff mentioned.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I wish I could have thrown that lolipop myself!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The older I get, the more I dig Bowie's later stuff. Early on I was all about Hunky Dory/Ziggy Stardust, then a few years later I was all into Station to Station/Low, and now I'm all about Outside/Heathen.

I still have a difficult time deciding between Ziggy/StS/Outside for my favorite Bowie album, probably leaning Outside right now. The songs are weird but they really grow on you and I love blasting The Heart's Filthy Lesson or Thru These Architect's Eyes while driving, plus Strangers When We Meet is my favorite Bowie song.

• Locked thread